[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your thoughts on this man.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 5

File: 1398115798609.jpg (16KB, 400x264px) Image search: [Google]
1398115798609.jpg
16KB, 400x264px
Your thoughts on this man.
>>
>>78311529
I think you may be Grant Morrison making these threads.

WELL YOU WON'T GET MY THOUGHTS
>>
He's my favorite, to be honest.
>>
>>78311529

Love most of the work I've read from him. Animal Man was the comic that sold me on comics.
>>
Didn't like Final Crisis. Liked Multiversity.
>>
The false messiah of comics. All he has to offer now are circlejerks over superheroes, and film pitches. Klaus is his lowest low since publishing through Legendary, which in turn was his lowest low since Dinosaurs Vs. Aliens.
>>
>>78311529
He's an overrated hack of a writer and a discredit to the UK which Scotland is a part of no matter what that faggot says. So sick of him saying Scotland isn't part of the UK fucking faggot. Also his books don't touch on anything actually important and is just rehashed versions of other GOOD writer's shit with all the meat sucked out of it. Hack piece of shit who needs to learn that we own Scotland and that includes him and that means I own him so he can just fuck off. That twat needs to learn his goddamn geography is what he needs to fucking do. If I ever saw him I'd punch his lights out once-a-fucking-gain. Bottom line: England rules Scotland drools and I'd say it to him again if I had the opportunity.
>>
>>78311529
He is very bald
>>
File: 1401451967219.jpg (309KB, 673x1017px) Image search: [Google]
1401451967219.jpg
309KB, 673x1017px
Often enjoyable, but relies on silly hand-wavey nonsense too often and I'm not entirely sure he is entirely mentally well after reading Supergods.
>>
>>78311665
More than Bendis?
>>
>>78311642
>"Ur mum's crown don't hold no sway over me!"
>> "Would you liked to be appointed MBE?"
>"Oh yeah sure, yes please."
Morrison looks out for no one but himself and holds no ideals other than what's convenient for him at the moment.
>>
>>78311529
A god king born anew on Mount Olympus
>>
>Struggle
>Read comics
>Sex
>Take drugs
>Write comics
>Get rich
>Take more drugs
>Get noticed
>Write more
>Live like rockstar
>Write book
>>
>>78311882
>struggle
Lol.

He never had to get a job or anything like that. His parents supported him while he just screwed around with his band.
>>
He's good, but massively overrated.

His biggest weakness is the meta shit he uses all the time, he can't write original ideas for shit, and his inability to adapt is simply irritating.
>>
>>78311665
He trained so hard to be a writer that he lost his hair
>>
>>78311529
Probably my favorite writer, because even when he gets trippy it's still based around the inherent silliness of comic books.
>>
>>78311882
Don't want to take anything away from him, but Morrison had some astonishing luck early in his career. Arkham Asylum dropped just as the Burton Batman movie came out, and everything with Batman's name on it sold like hotcakes. Poor to rich overnight.
>>
He's my favourite desu. One of the few writers who write comic books as comic books rather than fitting in real life shit, inserting relatibility and gray morality, just to try and make comics appear as a higher form of medium.
>>
My favorite. Pretty much the only working writer who does cape shit I would consider "art".

Anyone else subscribing to heavy metal magazine once he starts as editor?
>>
>>78311973
didn't work though
>>
>>78311529

He is wasted in DC.
>>
File: 5fz3dwpgxrn3648bvohqoj8gx.jpg (158KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
5fz3dwpgxrn3648bvohqoj8gx.jpg
158KB, 768x1024px
>>78312752
He has written for companies other than DC you know.
>>
>>78311603
I think he'd love to be called the false messiah
>>
>>78312767
Sounds like Morrison, alright.
>>
>>78312764
I wish he never wrote X-Men.
Evil bacteria, Grant? Really?
Really?
>>
GOAT
Fuck Alan Moore
>>
Shit at event books. GOAT at runs.
>>
>>78311703
>>78311703
Bendis?
the comic writer?
>>
Either you get him or you don't. Which doesn't mean he's high-brow or you're stupid if you don't see any sense in what he does. It's a particular way of thinking, and not everybody likes to think in a associative way instead of relying on formal logic for story.

That said, I think he's dropped the ball with Multiversity. The individual stories were great, but the continuity wrapping not so much. Everything was already said with Final Crisis (which was great). But his superhero work is leagues beyond his creator-owned stuff, anyway. Nameless is probably the best thing he's done in the last five or so years.
>>
>>78311529
Pretty cool lad, still going strong, still looking handsome at 55, one day he will transcend our mortal plane and become one with the Hypercrisis, only then will he return to our world, a god, he'll shave the beard of Alan Moore and strike down the evil lich and his clones of Bendis, Stan Lee
>>
>>78313490
Thank you. I understand what he's going for, it's not my thing, but everybody seems to either think that he's shit who makes no sense or the best and you're stupid if you don't understand.

It's neither. He's just a writer.
>>
>>78313490
>But his superhero work is leagues beyond his creator-owned stuff, anyway.

Leagues BELOW, that should have been.
>>
>>78313490
>>78313526
They're just about the same quality. His Invisibles, Flex Mentallo are just as great as his Doom Patrol, JLA and Multiversity.

Namesless has been intriguing, but I'm still waiting for the final issue to judge it completely.
>>
>>78311529
>Your thoughts on this man.
No, don't. He will use the mind energy of your thoughts to gain god-like powers!!!
But seriously, I like how he seemingly believes Superman is a literal memetics re-incarnation (literally believing concept have a "conciousness") of Jesus, Zeus and Hercules, all at the same time, and that engaging in the narrative of said character is going to give him some of his Godlike powers. That's why all the meta.

In fact, that also why he is so obsessed with making "everything canon", apparently, Gods work on playground rules, so If you scream hard enought that, "Nah nah, Superman would totally survive that, he would use his super-brain to create a super-shield made of alien technology" he will gain the power to do that from the power of the belief that we have that he can do it.
>>
>>78311529
overrated hack, when was the last time he wrote anything that wasn't a rehash of Doom Patrol or zenith? and when's the last time he did it and came out with something good?
>>
>>78312151
this is how capeshitters actually think

>I hate when people try to make good works of art in muh punching pictures medium
>>
>>78312752
Spoted the casual.
>>
>>78311681
>'m not entirely sure he is entirely mentally well after reading Supergods

Never read Supergods
1. Is it worth it?
2. What makes you say from this book that he isn't entirely mentally well? Intrigued.
>>
>>78311529
The man? Or his comics? I'm not down with the Morrison/Moore partisanship that seems so popular on here, they've both made some great comics.
As a man he seems much less self-effacing than Moore does in interviews and his comment in the big Rolling Stone interview about Chris Ware's comics being "really middle class" got my back up no end, he obviously knows nothing about him or his work. Aside from that, well, I don't know him so I can't really say but he pushes his own mystique a bit too hard, it seems to me.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 700x700px
>>78311529
Who, the magic 8 ball? He's ok.
>>
>>78313747

I'm not the guy you responded to. Supergods is worth the read if you're interested in Morrisons biography and a very subjective, cultural interpretation of superhero comics history. If you want to understand how the guy thinks from a more clear cut source than his comics work.

And I don't think the book makes him out to seem mentally unwell. He has had formative experiences with sleep deprivation and later psychedelic drugs and describes the "visions" he has had, but not in a matter of factly way. He sees them as constructs, but as causally potent constructs for his subjective world (which is the only world you have access to, if you think about it). Think about going to a birthday party: You know what to expect there (cake, congratulations, presents) and how to behave. But that is just a social construct in your mind, too, and you act on it, but in fact you could act very differently and there would be no repercussions aside from irritation. It's all imaginary and what is acceptable and "real" is determined by a slow iterary and constant process of behaviour and concept evaluation and modification with regard to context. But the context is itself constantly evaluated with regards to other contexts etc.. I work in cognitive science and that is a dominant view of human cognition.

What I am trying to say is, "mentally well" is determined by functionality dependent on context. Morrison is extremely functional in his life context, but his beliefs and experiences sound outlandish and stupid to people with radically different life contexts. That's about it. If you are like-minded, he won't seem mentally unwell.
>>
>>78313885
10/10 post would read again
>>
>>78312764
He's hot, I'd fuck him.
>>
>>78313885
Anon who asked the question here.

>his beliefs and experiences sound outlandish and stupid to people with radically different life contexts. That's about it. If you are like-minded, he won't seem mentally unwell.
While I agree with you conceptually, and while I even sort of apply this "philosophy" in my own life (to a certain extent), I can't fully embrace this.
One, because then the very definition of madness is erased. If logic depends of your state of mind and conceptual reality, then a guy who wants to eat glass and crush people's skulls becomes very sane within the boundaries of his personal cultural viewpoint.
2. Some conceptuals truth, such as the first unfounded rules that support maths (ie: two parallel lines can't cross), can be proven in the realm of philosophy, to be eminently true and not dependent of personal p.o.v.s. For instance, utilitarianism, by its very nature of achieving measurable results, cannot be disproven as false. Quickly enough, respect for another body's and soul's integrity could, with some effort, be proven as a core value to follow. For instance, hurting someone both physically or with words at a birthday party could be a sane posture in your viewpoint, but would ultimately result in ostracization, or even more fundamentally, as a denial of stupid joy that would end up in you falling in a very measurable pit of unhappiness.
>>
>>78314170

Yeah, of course, that's a kind of relationalism and for some people, that is an excuse to become a nihilist and do whatever the fuck they want. The thing is this: There is no null-context. Things only exist in their relation to other things (for our human minds, at least). So, this relationalism is not something you can take and build a life philosophy out of, because it is so meta that you could never derive laws of behaviour from it. It's not an excuse to become a solipsist or nihilist.

To get to your second point: I am by no means a maths expert, but I have sufficient understanding to understand stuff like Gödels Proof. And if that one has taught as anything, it is that there are always axioms at the bottom of proofs. Always. Analytical math is not the language of truth, but a formal instruction for thinking with regard to initial assumptions. Those assumptions may have some truth to them, but the more you build upon them, you will end up with a contradiction somewhere down the line. There is no error-free human thought. And I believe, that is a view most mathematicians adhere to.

Which is not to say, that this is not true in some way:

Quickly enough, respect for another body's and soul's integrity could, with some effort, be proven as a core value to follow. For instance, hurting someone both physically or with words at a birthday party could be a sane posture in your viewpoint, but would ultimately result in ostracization, or even more fundamentally, as a denial of stupid joy that would end up in you falling in a very measurable pit of unhappiness.

It would be true with regard to a certain mental make-up that formulated certain aims for life or just that particular situation. If you do not want to be ostracized, then you should not behave contrary to expectation. That's why I said that it is a gradual, iterary process of evaluation and modification with regard to context ( which includes aims).
>>
>>78314334

To cut it short: You and I are human beings and our mental make-up is probably similar to a degree. Most of us like to be loved and love back. So let's all love each other.

We just have to accept that there are possible scenarios where this is not proper behaviour. And isn't that the true foundation of tolerance and, yes, love?

Merry Christmas, everybody.
>>
>>78314366
Merry Christmas, anon
>>
File: Superman Happy New Year.jpg (83KB, 612x608px) Image search: [Google]
Superman Happy New Year.jpg
83KB, 612x608px
>>78314334
>>78314366
Whether we agree or not, I tremendously enjoyed having a nice conversation and thoughtful one such as this one.

Merry Christmas Anon. Merry Christmas /co/
>>
>>78314553

Me, too, dude. It's nice to have a civilized conversation about controversial figures and their beliefs. That happens too seldom on /co/.
>>
Doom Patrol is unsurpassed, as is Zenith.

Invisibles i fairly good. Don't really care for his cape stuff.
>>
>>78314849
Doom Patrol is "cape", you pathetic contrarian.
>>
>>78314915
Wow, rude.

Who hurt you?
>>
>>78311642
Moore pls
>>
>>78314915
So are Zenith and Invisibles.
>>
>>78314585
People like you make this website worth frequenting
>>
He's a talented writer.

However, he's also extremely full of himself and thinks his ideas/ theories trump everyone else's.

Also, if he believes the things he says, I somewhat question his grip on reality.
>>
Jar Jar Binks is going to be revealed as the Sith who trained Palpatine, and directed all the events of Star Wars.
JJ Abrams directs Star Wars.
JJ. Jar Jar. Hypercrisis is real and Morrison is the one true prophet. Also maybe Stephen King.
>>
>>78315726
damn...
>>
>>78315267
but his ideas and theories do trump everyone else's.
>>
>>78318207
Yeah, but be could be more modest.
>>
He's ok
>>
IHM SCHOTTISH LAD
>>
8 or 8.5 out of 10 writer.

Good stuff far outweighs the bad stuff. But as another anon pointed out, he gets way too wrapped up in meta trash that gets old as shit after a while. Also Xorn a shit.

His Animal Man and a lot of his Batman stuff is phenomenal. Batman Inc was ok, Final Crisis was way too far up its own ass.
>>
>>78318207

Explain how
>>
>>78311529
Still a qt
>>
>>78318227
Being modest isn't how you get attention, especially on the internet. Remember, Bendis gets fires burning on this board.
>>
>>78311529
I like his work, but It feels like he's emulating Moore and falling short with either too weak or too cliched themes.
>>
>>78314585
Amen to that
>>78314849
Zenith is fucking great. I mentioned his Dan Dare in the Ennis Dare thread, that was, addmittedly, a bit of a "gritty re-imagining" but it worked, a lot of which had to do with Rian Hughes' lovely "Atomic" ligne-clair art...so smooooth and streamlined, master craftsmanship from the pre-digital age.
>>
Overrated and pretentious as hell, but when he doesn't have his head up his own ass he can shit out some solid comics.
>>
"biggest weakness...the meta shit he uses all the time...can't write original ideas...inability to adapt"

t'me 'e's like various writers an' explorers who've been dismissed as fantasists or liars since ancient times simply 'cause their readers assume such things can't appen an' mus' therefore be parables

likewise 'is use o' others' ideas's quite possibly's acknowledgement of comradeship as explorers of the same metaphysical terrain

'is inability t' adapt a mere insistence on goin' over the same ground until the penny's dropped enough times
>>
>>78312788
His X-Men run was pretty good.

And Sublime was an interesting villain.

Too bad it was never properly touched upon again.
>>
>>78313559
And that's beautiful.
>>
>>78311529
He's a decent writer but his fans are shit
>>
I think Doom Patrol is fantastic, really enjoyed Animal Man until the end.

Not really interested in the rest of his work
>>
>>78312788
I think you must be very young to think this.

The X-men franchise was in complete shambles in the late 90s. New X-Men was such a breath of fresh air, exactly the kick in the ass the franchise needed.

It introduced the first really new ideas and themes to X-men since Claremont. Sure, maybe not every new idea was great, but his run was so inventive and full of energy.

His X-men run was EXACTLY what the books needed to be fresh and relevant again, and to take it beyond the tired MLK/Malcolm X analogy into exploring ideas of culture and difference.
>>
>>78311529
He is probably the greatest comic book writer to ever live.
>>
>>78327382
And as soon as he left they went right back to beating the same dead horse
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.