[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Aggresively mediocre writers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 5

File: jeffparker.jpg (71KB, 300x306px) Image search: [Google]
jeffparker.jpg
71KB, 300x306px
>>
>>78310260

Nathan Fucking Edmonson

What does it say when your creator owned work is worse than your work for hire stuff.
>>
Greg Rucka.
>>
File: Cullen Bunn.jpg (24KB, 426x426px) Image search: [Google]
Cullen Bunn.jpg
24KB, 426x426px
>>
>>78310333

>GCPD
>Black Magick
>Queen and Country
>Stumptown
>Wonder Woman
>Whiteout
>"Mediocre"

Okay yeah sure anon.
>>
>>78310334

Sixth Gun started pretty well, but yes has grown rather mediocre (I assume just Bunn stretching further as hes taken on more work)

>>78310300

yea...no excuse for Edmondson. Dude has a couple decent Image minis, but those are mainly saved by the art. His military wanking is too much in most of his stuff.

>>78310333

can't tell if bait or not...

>>78310260

Personally I like Jeff Parker, but yea, his stuff is "good" at best.
>>
>>78310300
To make matters worse, Marvel is encouraging retailers to match their orders of Red Wolf #2 to those of #1.
>>
>>78310430

I do not understand the logic of putting a hardcore republican with extensive military connections on a book starring a minority who should most have problems with the government...
>>
>>78310409
>only book I've heard of is WW
Truly he is known far and wide for his genius
>>
>>78310409
Gotham Central is more Brubaker. The rest is bland mediocre shit.
>>
>>78310486
Not his problem you're so ignorant, anon.
>>
>>78310333
>not liking Greg Rucka
Anon, thy name is Pleb.

>>78310409
>>78310418
It's either bait, or anon has shit taste.

>specifically citing Wonder Woman
Mah nigga.
>>
>>78310509

you guys credit Brubaker with so much shit that he didn't have that much involvement in. Same with Iron Fist.
For Gotham Central, Brubaker and Rucka alternated their writings based on the shifts the book was focusing on (Bru wrote day shift, Rucka wrote night I believe). And Brubaker essentially was only there as a plotter after issue like 20, meaning Rucka pretty much wrote half the book by himself.
>>
>>78310509

You want more?
>Lazarus
>Veil
>Wolverine and Elektra: The Redeemer (Amano art)
>Checkmate
>Batman: No Man's Land
>>
>>78310576
More mediocre shit.
No Man's Land is the most overrated Batman comic anyway, right after Whatever Happened to Caped Crusader.
>>
>>78310550

Yeah Brubaker is great, but when he's a cowriter he's usually the one who's less involved.

This is especially true with Iron Fist. He's responsible for Orson Randall and bringing John Aman back, but it's otherwise all Fraction, and the book is better for it. Danny's not as much of a pulp hero as Brubaker thinks he is.
>>
>>78310603

>Calling Amano art mediocre

You ran out of bait so you started having to use a lure, huh anon.
>>
Sam Humphries

Judd Winick

James Robinson
>>
>>78310418

I don't even like his Image minis much. Who is Jake Ellis started out promising but got dragged down by Taking Forever (And now there's "Where is Jake Ellis", will we be getting "What, When, and Why" anytime soon?), The Dream Merchant I've literally heard nobody say anything about, and The Activity is the single most boring, unmemorable thing Image has put out since the 90s.
>>
>>78310689

>Humphries

Okay, I can understand this, but so far I like Citizen Jack a lot.

>Winick

100 percent justified, except for Pedro and Me, which is based on something that actually happened to him so it does not count.

>Robinson.

Please don't tell me you're thinking of Starman anon, that would break my heart.
>>
Almost everything thing I've read from Jeff Parker has been pretty good. He's under a lot of peoples radar because he doesn't insight controversy. If anything, he's underrated. I would like to see him on more A-list titles.

A truly mediocre writer is Chuck Dixon.
>>
>>78310689
>Winick
>mediocre
To call him mediocre would be a compliment. And one readable Batwing run doesn't negate all his awful shit.
Also, Tynion.
>>
>>78310689
Current James Robinson? Yes. It's like the guy that wrote Starman doesn't exist anymore.
>>
Antony Johnston.

Good God has there ever been a duller writer?
>>
>>78310721
There are kids born when the first issue of Starman came out that can now legally buy alcohol.
>>
>>78310260
Dan motherfucking Jurgens
>>
Bendis and Slott.
>>
>>78310797
Who?
>>
>>78310825

I was -2 months old when the first issue of Starman came out, anon, and I still read and loved it when I came across it a couple years ago. Blame DC's terrible policies.
>>
>>78310850
No, they're shit. Mediocre is a comic that you forget as soon as you finish reading it. A comic that summons no emotion in you whatsoever, not even anger at it's badness.
>>
>>78310852
Wrote a fantasy series called Umbral and a post-apoc book called Wasteland.

Dull as dogshit stuff.
>>
Geoff Johns, and no I'm not trolling. I've read a lot of his work but literally everything I've read has been nothing more than mediocre. Even his famed green lantern run is beyond boring.
>>
>>78310884

Wasteland I actually like. It's weird, but I like having read it more than actually starting to read it when I was reading it. It's the kind of book that grows in your mind.
>>
Everything I've read from Gregg Hurwitz is offensively dull.
His DC work and crime novels could be better though, I've never read them so I can't say for sure.
>>
>>78310901
Even his Flash Run?
>>
>>78311704
I liked his Penguin mini. It wasn't super memorable though.
>>
>>78310797
Jurgens is so dull he's terrible so yes
>>
>>78312036
Jurgens is the king of dull.
>>
>>78310689
>James Robinson
Airboy was the best shit but i guess it was just a broken clock thing
>>
>>78312102
Jurgens is legitimately so fucking dull that he is bad. he is so bad he's fucking horrendous I hate him
>>
>>78310333
You're getting shit on anon, but modern Rucka is pretty uneven
>>
>>78310333
I don't think Rucka is mediocre, but like Brubaker, he's a writer I find dry as fuck. I can tell that he's talented, that doesn't prevent me from finding everything he has written as engaging and thrilling as a glass of warm water.

The one exception is his Batwoman.
>>
1000% Agree on Jurgens, Johns, Edmondson, Bunn, Dixon, Johnston and modern Robinson, Huriwtz

Humphries and Winick are worse.

I read more boring Rucka than cool but still can't say for sure. Had good times with Parker and GOOD artists, but say Thunderbolts went to shit once Walker/Shalvey left the building. Never got into Agents of Atlas.

I raise you Yost, Nicieza, Swierczynski and Soule.
>>
>>78310260
Greg Pak, Jeff Parker, Nick Spencer, Yost
>>
Mark Waid
>>
>>78312864
Remember those three months or so that Spencer was Hot Shit? Now he... exists? He still writes things, I assume, but I never hear about any of it.
>>
>>78312860
I've only read two things from Swierczynski and I liked both. He did a Black Widow arc that was pretty fun and I thought his Birds of Prey was legitimately good.
>>
>>78312955
Is Morning Glories still going?
>>
Bedard, Tomasi, and Krul when he's not being outright terrible.
>>
>>78313015
Apparently.
>>
>>78313028
I remember a time when that book was hot shit. And now it's just there.
>>
>>78313017
Yeah pretty much the entire Johns and Snyder crews. I'd say Bendis crew as well but I don't know if there was anyone besides Brian Reed
>>
File: 1435534951059.jpg (5KB, 252x184px) Image search: [Google]
1435534951059.jpg
5KB, 252x184px
>>78310486
that says more about you than him
>>
>>78310333
Fuck you, Rucka isn't perfect, but he's very good, usually.
>>
Andy Diggle.

The Losers was great but everything else is brain-meltingly dull.
>>
>>78310698
The Activity was really boring. This could be a great military comic but fuck me if I could remember a single character after I read the first trade. The was a black guy..I guess and some women.
>>
>>78310746
I would take Dixon in a heartbeat insteat of Snyder on Batman. Andy Diggle is another one, that is really kind of just..okay. Green Arrow:Year One was good, but I think that is more because of Jock
>>
James Roberts.
>>
>>78310334
I like Sinestro.
>>
>>78312860
>Johns
>Soule
>Dull
Nigga come on...
>>
>>78314519
You're right, Soule isn't just dull, he's fucking terrible.
>>
>>78310576
> And the best storyline of 52
> Detective Comics
>>
>>78314678
He didn't write Buddy, Kory and Adam's space adventures.
>>
> Rucka
> Soule
> Dixon
> Parker
> Tomasi

/co/ has really shitty taste, huh?
>>
James Tynion, Tom Taylor, Jonathan Hickman, Robert Venditti, most of Jeff Lemire
>>
Marc Guggenheim, Greg Berlanti, Andrew Kreisberg
>>
>>78314723
Soule is terrible m8
>>
>>78314753
Okay when Jeff Lemire pumps out stuff like Sweet Tooth, Essex County, Plutona, Descender, Underwater Welder and The Nobody, all of which are B+ books or higher you can't exactly call him Mediocre, his cape stuff could be better but really I think you are trying to get a rise out of folks.
>>
>>78312864
I wouldn't call Spencer mediocre as much as he is a man of extremes: when he's on he's great (a lot of his earlier stuff, Superior Foes, Ant-Man). When he's off he's among the worst writers in the industry (Secret Avengers, Ultimate X-Men).
>>
File: bendis.jpg (123KB, 431x427px) Image search: [Google]
bendis.jpg
123KB, 431x427px
What is this thread about?
>>
>>78315095
So technically mediocre.
>>
>>78314801
only his Marvel work is bad
>>
>>78315132
Which is most of his output.
>>
>>78315126
Writers. Who write comic books. That are mediocre. Not awful. Like you.
>>
>>78310689
>Humphries
>mediocre
That would be a compliment. He's the worst writer at Marvel not named Bendis and Bendis at least has good stories to his credit. He's one of three writers (Bendis included) whose name means I'm not reading a book, Frank Tieri and his edgelord shit being the third.
>>
>>78311750
I've honestly never read Flash because Mirror Master being a cokehead is so on the nose (hurr) that it makes me mad. Also pointlessly edgy.
>>
>>78315703
It's not really done in an edgy way. Like he was an addict sure, but it was mostly done to show off how cool Cold was rather than because it meant anything about Mirror Master.
>>
>>78315127
Maybe but the thing is there's no middle ground with him. He's either really good or really bad, never mediocre.
>>
>>78310260
Talking shit about Parker after the Thunderbolts story time, cute trick OP.
>>
>>78314621
His Swamp Thing and Red Lanterns were fantastic, only his marvel stuff has been terrible.
>>
>>78315350
>Tieri

I don´t think I have ever read any Tieri. What is so bad about his stuff ? Edgelord doesn´t mean anything anymore
>>
So upset that OP didn't post Jurgens
>>
>>78315942
Most of his output is his Marvel work, so yes, he's mostly terrible.
>>
>>78315968
He's just not a good writer. He seems to constantly think he's writing some hardcore shit involving morally dubious types and it shows. Weapon X, the Mr. X shit in Wolverine, Lord Havok and the Extremists.

The guy's responsible for the death of heroic Juggernaut during his New Excalibur run because he outright stated in interviews he thought Juggernaut as a good guy made him a pussy; Huggernaut he called him.
>>
>>78310901
It's said he only introduced White Lanterns as a concept because he thought there should be milk.

Black Lanterns are chocolate like his Oreos cereal.
>>
>>78316026
Ahhh, so he is like Adam Glass!(well he had that one Deadpool mini that was kind of okay)
>>
>>78316026
He also thought the best retort to Ennis shitting on Wolverine was to imply Punisher was gay. He's a literal manchild.
>>
Mark Waid
>>
File: dumbass.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
dumbass.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>78310430
That's not what's happening, Marvel is giving retailers free copies of #2 to match the orders of #1.
>>
>>78310260
Geoff Johns springs to mind immediately. I really loved his earlier stuff but now he's become the Michael Bay of comics.
>>
>>78314753
You either love or hate Hickmans style but he isn't mediocre
>>
>>78316175
The best thing he's done is Space: Punisher where you have Texeira painting the art and it's deliberately over the top and ridiculous.
Thread posts: 92
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.