[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Itt post goat art and covers Was also wondering how do people

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 4

Itt post goat art and covers
Was also wondering how do people become comic book artists?
>>
They draw comic art and show it to someone.
>>
>>78289577
>show it to someone.
But who anon?Who!?
>>
File: paradise-x.jpg (44KB, 400x616px) Image search: [Google]
paradise-x.jpg
44KB, 400x616px
Bampin with great art
>>
File: Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_256.jpg (74KB, 316x480px) Image search: [Google]
Amazing_Spider-Man_Vol_1_256.jpg
74KB, 316x480px
>>
>>78289601
Someone who wants to buy your stuff or someone who wants to publish your stuff. Just make it and show it.
>>
File: afterlifewitharchie8cvr.jpg (203KB, 900x1384px) Image search: [Google]
afterlifewitharchie8cvr.jpg
203KB, 900x1384px
>>
>>78289690
Tbh I seriously can't draw,was wondering why people like Alex Ross who can draw crazy well draw for comics.Is the pay even good?I probably should google this but meh.
>>
>>78289601
Some conventions have portfolio reviews and publishers also have submission windows from time to time. Millarworld just had their first open submission period

>>78289715
Ross gets like 5000 a cover IIRC. Industry starter rates are around 90/page for writer and 200/page for artists
>>
>>78289745
You seem to know your shit I take it you draw?
>>
>>78289715
Marvel might pay an established artist like Ross $200 a page while a fresh faced freelancer could get $100. Ross has been doing this for decades so his rates are probably insane which is why you mostly see him doing covers.

The big thing for artists is selling original work and comissions. Few people subsist solely on comics. It's like the music industry, most people make money on tours and merchandising not the sale of their actual music.
>>
>>78289745
>200/page for artists

That sounds good. Assuming this applies to the big 2, most comics have around 32 pages they would make 64000 per comic and that would be just for the pencils.
Then why are many pencil artist giving up on interiors and pursuing covers only carriers? Seems like unless you are a top name like Ross you wouldn't make as much.
>>
>>78289791
Those were the prices quoted for the Millarworld contest, which was for 4-5 page stories, might be lower for ongoings or if you're on a contract
>>
>>78289791
Think about it. If it takes you a month to do 22 pages at $100 per page but you could pull in $500 for a cover what would you do?

Someone like Ross could get 5-10k for a cover and then he sells his original art for the same price.
>>
>>78289715
How sure are you? If you've seriously tried for a while and show no real talent or prospect of improvement, then sure.

And if you really can't honestly draw, you can write.

Either way it's going to take a lot of practice and refinement.

I mean, consider, some of the best people in the industry in terms of writing, literally write novels, and have in the past. Big, acclaimed novels that have sold well.

Not like, novels of the century, but still, real, successful novels.

So it's not like you're just going to take up writing because you can't draw since it's "easy".

Writing a good comic story involves a great deal of pithiness and economy, really. You have to be able to write well in general to do it well. That and the dialogue. The limit of the format is how little you have to work with text wise. (Although the story creation part, well, some people actually do that like writing a script. To give direction to the artist, so yeah, you can do real volume there.)
>>
>>78289858
I tried a while ago Read a bit of loomis when I was young.Might try pick it up.

Why are you so upbeat?Is this really 4chan?
>>
>>78289572

>Was also wondering how do people become comic book artists?

Have connections and pass everything in time. Being able to draw helps, but isn't a requisite.
>>
>>78289858
How do you get into comics as a writer anyway? You can't really show off your work as much as an artist could, since short stories and novels are a different animal from comics. I guess one could starta webcomic, but only if they can draw/ have an artist on hand.
>>
Beginning comic artist do not get payed $200 a page, more like a 100 or less, only Marvel,DC and Valient pay higher numbers.

>>78289791
>>78289842

Comics book are roughly 20 pages a month, unless it's a first issue which sometimes have higher page count.
>>
>>78289920
Sometimes companies will accept unsolicited writing pitches. Check Image or a smaller publisher. You'd be surprised how many established but unknown indies look at scripts.

But yes, being a writer is usually about networking. But also there's a lot of cross breeding. A lot of comic book writers also did short stories or screenwriting.

The take away message here is to create shit and put it out to the public. If you can't draw then write. If you can't write then draw. If you suck at both then still post your shit so you can get feedback on how to improve. There are plenty of active forums for writers and artists so post your shit.

Just create and post. It may be years of nothing, maybe you're not cut out for it, but a real artist loves the craft and when you finally get that bite it'll pay off. Being an artist in America sucks, all the ones I know still have a day job, but they love doing what they do.
>>
this might not copy and paste right, but from a panel this summer via BC:

WFH/PAGE MAINSTREAM INDIE
Script $80-100 $25-50
Covers $600-700 $200-500
Line art $200-300 $100-250
Colour art $120-150 $35-100
Letters $20-25 $10-20
>>
>>78289628
3D Man behind Logan's hand?
>>
>>78290707
4-d man
had to google its been a while since I read paradise x
Really recommend reading earthx,universe x and paradise
>so you know I'm not bullshitting
http://marvel.wikia.com/wiki/Kyle_Richmond_%28Earth-9997%29
>>
>>78290935
Thanks. I've read some issues years ago, but never whole story.
>>
>>78289601
Post your art online in public spaces, try to make friends, market yourself, go to conventions with portfolio reviews.

>>78289715
Pay is probably good for big two. I know Boom pays like absolute garbage. 60-80/page for pencils AND inks, around 25/page for colors. Fucking hell I wish I got 100 a page.
>>
>>78289572
Based Ross.
>>
>>78289572
>how do people become comic book artists?

In America you learn to draw in a very good manner. And then you say "fuck that shit" and use badly drawn digital art while eating stan lees dick
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.