[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are people actually surprised DCYou failed? They released like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 2

Are people actually surprised DCYou failed? They released like 30 new titles and only one of them was a bonafide sales hit in the form of Justice League of America.

Surprise surprise, DC has been putting out experimental low-selling titles like Omega Men out for years. Turns out books like that just don't sell and basing your ENTIRE Summer roll-out around them was fucking retarded.
>>
>>78280278
They thought that sales would come by putting out good comics, turns out that doesn't mean shit if people don't even know they exist.

The failure of DC You is a stark reminder that the majority of people who buy big two comics are fucking morons who want to be fed big name reboots and events all-year round.
>>
DCYou failed because Convergence burned retailers so badly they didn't want to order more DC books and because DC has the most fucking retarded marketing team that has ever existed.

It's a god damn shame.
>>
>>78280278
I am not honestly. We have seen a similar pattern (of failure) with Infinite Crisis and the OYL followup. It's just the fuckup with Convergence + DCYou with a lot bigger than some of us had guessed.

>>78280369
This is true and it really has been underplayed in the fan press how much it screwed retailers who had bet on Convergence.
>>
>>78280369
Explain further.
>>
>>78280447
He pretty much said it all right there.
>>
>>78280446
I hope if Convergence's monstrous failing has any silver lining, it's that there is now iron tight proof that returning to the old universe wouldn't do shit in sales terms.
>>
They need to change their PR.

If you are being diverse and experimental.

Fucking make sure people know it.

I know a Muslim girl who regularly buys Ms Marvel. Had no idea Khalid was a thing.
>>
>>78280510
Not just Convergence, but Titans Hunt and Lois & Clark are failing too.
>>
>>78280447
You are a businessman you have a limited amount of money that you invest and each month into goods (comics) and you use the earnings to pay your bills and reinvest into new goods. You bet one month on Company A (DC) and order their goods. But it turns out the demand is overstated and not many people want those goods. So you are stuck with stock that you can't get rid of and now you have less money than before to reinvest into new stock and company A has a new line of brand new goods. What you do is underorder because you no longer have as much money as before because the first line didn't sell.

Now do variations of the strategy if you split your money between Company A and Company B (Marvel). Or bet solely on Company B.

You can kinda see why Company B has done better in sales over the years.
>>
Why is DC so bad at marketing? Why haven't they fixed that?
>>
>>78280695
Either they don't have the money to market well, or they simply don't care to market.

It's like Nicola Scott's comment from a panel that just because they don't advertise that they have female or non-white characters in their comics on morning talk shows, it doesn't mean that they don't exist.
>>
>>78280510
>>78280617
I've said this in another thread, but it really seems like the people clamoring for the old DCU can't be bothered to put money where their mouths are.
>>
>>78280743
Then how is anyone supposed to know about their books?

Marvel may be gigantic whores. But they make sure everyone knows what they're doing at all times.

There should be no dignity when it comes to shilling your picture books about superheroes.

>>78280826
Did they even know it was a thing?
>>
>>78280868
I think this is passing the blame and ignoring reality. If people aren't going through that previews magazine or reading solicits each month then they aren't buying comics anyway. DC has failed to utilize word of mouth properly to actually foster hype, but I don't think that's the main problem. Might be general poor relationships with retailers, maybe returnability is fucked or something.
>>
>>78280868
>Did they even know it was a thing?
Good point.
>>
>>78280743
>It's like Nicola Scott's comment from a panel that just because they don't advertise that they have female or non-white characters in their comics on morning talk shows, it doesn't mean that they don't exist.

This. DC DOES things, Marvel TALKS about doing things.
>>
If you're trying to get people back with nostalgia who left with the nu52. You have to make sure your attempts are very loud because they're not paying attention to you anymore.

You have to grab their attention. Not hope for the best.
>>
>>78280367
Batman has been consistently great. Wonder Woman 1-35 is arguably the best run the character ever had. Snyder/Lemire had stellar runs on Swamp Thing/Animal Man that were commercially viable.

DCYOU failed because it pandered to the entitled minority of comic readers. Gayfags (midnighter), Caphaters (Omega Men), Politicfags (Prez), and all the others. Alternative comics succeed by finding a broad appeal character and concept and selling it.

>>78280369
Convergence sold well, considering it had zero top tier creative talent. It was a brilliant editorial move to essential create a summer crossover that the majority of the fans wanted, (their old character back), written and drawn by low level talent. At the center would be a main title written by a big name tv guy to see whether he could sell comics. It succeeded in doing what it was supposed to do.
>>
>>78281294
This. DC needs to step up their marketing, even if it means going on The View (unfortunately).
>>
>>78281122
Now post gross oversimplifications of a dozen other publishers too.
>>
>>78280546
Yeah, one girl buys Ms. Marvel, great. Ms. Marvel was a book written by a Muslim woman when the only other major big two Muslim SH was Baz. And the Muslim market isn't really that big. No more so than the Christian market, which unlike the Muslim market is a proven cash cow neither company has tapped.
>>
>>78280510
Convergence Superman sold as well as post Johns Superman did. All the other titles were written and drawn by nobodies.

>>78280617
Titans Hunt doesn't feature the old Universe or its characters. Lois and Clark is written by Dan fucking Jurgens and is still selling pretty well. And it also isn't set in the Old universe, and the character is wearing a shitty nu52 costume.
>>
>>78281365
They don't need to the View or anything. Just do something during Arrow and Flash to start off with,
>>
>>78280868
IF they are like me, I'm not going to throw money at DC for a half measure. I but the Convergence issues. I was willing to buy the series, even with it being clear DC couldn't be bothered to assign a decent writer, as long as it was the real Superman back on the real DC earth. Instead we got the Kents stuck on Nu52 earth where they can't do anything. It's bullshit, and costs DC money because I would have bought that Superman, I'm not buying the current one.
>>
>>78281478
Titans Hunt is about retconning in a shared connection between character to resemble their pre-Flashpoint state. Lois and Clark is literally about pre-Flashpoint characters.

>and is still selling pretty well

22k with the #2 issue of an ongoing is atrocious, especially for a Superbook (which are all 30-40k).
>>
Just put Batman on every book. Worked with Marvel and Wolverine in the 90's.
>>
>>78281595
You mean Harley Quinn
>>
>>78281561
but still Nu52 character, and Lois and Clark in the Nu52 is still the Nu52. 22k for a Superman book where Superman isn't allowed to do anything or dress like superman, written by Jurgens. Imagine if a actual big gun creator got the book and they were allowed to DO something?
>>
>>78281595
>>78281667
Oh c'mon, Isn't Batman in every big book now? I don't think even that can save things.
>>
>>78280278
>a bonafide sales hit in the form of Justice League of America.

Wut
>>
>>78281755
Hitch has a lot of fans
>>
>>78281122
>This. DC DOES things, Marvel TALKS about doing things.
Who cares what a neet in their mom's basement does. No one will ever see it unless they talk about it once in a while.
>>
DC could bury Marvel if they really tried. Get some more incentive to read comics from the games they put out like Injustice or the Arkham games. Most people see a Marvel movie once and move on gamers would see this every time they played
>>
>>78281697

He does dress like Superman. Black and silver Superman aka BEST Superman
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (11KB, 169x299px) Image search: [Google]
Unknown.jpg
11KB, 169x299px
>>78283732
No
>>
>>78281388
>Image makes TV shows
>IDW make toy comics
>Dark Horse is dying because lol no star wars
>Dynamite has covers by Alex Ross and shitty interior art
>Fantagraphics pretends to be indie but makes all their money from Peanuts
>BOOM! does nothing
>>
I will say this about the DCYou, those free previews hurt certain books like Doctor Fate and the Omega Men. If you could jump into those books without reading those previews then I have the up most respect for you.
>>
>>78285240
>>78285240
>If you could jump into those books without reading those previews then I have the up most respect for you.

I did. I didn't know there was even any original content in those previews until someone storytimed them here. >>78254076
>>
>>78284412

Undies Superman a shit. Stop living in the past
>>
>>78285240

It hurt Omega Men because hyper faggots actually thought they killed Kyle. How can people be that retarded?
>>
>>78285726
>Hating OG Supes
People these days.
>>
>>78285748
Wait, they didn't? I've only read the preview. Thanks for spoiling it asshole,
>>
>>78281478
>All the other titles were written and drawn by nobodies.

So exactly like Pre-Flashpoint DC right?
>>
>>78286056
Read the first issue.

It's as much of a spoiler as Agent Coulson is alive on Agents of Shield or all three families are related on Modern Family.
>>
>>78281331
>DCYOU failed because it pandered to the entitled minority of comic readers. Gayfags (midnighter), Caphaters (Omega Men), Politicfags (Prez), and all the others. Alternative comics succeed by finding a broad appeal character and concept and selling it.
DCYou succeeded in being truly diverse in terms of subject matter, unlike Marvel which is only superficially diverse and focuses primarily on gender roles and race to get readers.
>>
>>78286109
Also Convergence Superman DID NOT sell as well as Geoff Johns' Superman.

When you read Monthly Sales you are reading how many issues were ordered by retailers, not copies that were actually sold at retail. The problem with Convergence that has been made loud and clear is that audiences didn't want anything to do with Convergence and the issues rotted on the stands.
>>
>>78281423
You're saying this like Ms. Marvel isn't a smash hit sales wise.
>>
>>78286515

Yeah cause it was all over the place and it was a scheme to get people to buy comics about heroes they didn't like just to "catch up" on what was going to happen. It was a money fleecing scheme.
>>
Honestly /co/ I'll finish buying Fraction's hawkeye trades and then I am never buying a marvel book again. Not that Marvel is shit, but if I am going to buy capeshit I'll get some of the quality/minor character DC books because I'd hate to see DC turn to even more shit.

How can any multi million dollar company have such shit marketing?
>>
>>78286645
At least buy Vision
>>
Nothing really clicked.

The new books weren't bad, but I don't think a single one of them (or the older books that got new creative teams) came out of the gates strong.

It's just another example of "Here at DC, we have great writers, bretty gud artists, and....horrible/ineffective editors".
>>
>>78286661

Overrated. It's just a robot wants to be real story
>>
>>78281331
> Wonder Woman 1-35 is arguably the best run the character ever had.

Well you obviously haven't read much Wonder Woman

>Snyder/Lemire had stellar runs on Swamp Thing/Animal Man that were commercially viable.

Morrison's Animal Man run and Moore's Swamp Thing run were very very commercially viable. In fact Moore made Swamp Thing so commercially viable we got two movies out of it.
Next time actually know what you are saying before typing words
>>
Not surprised at all, it's painfully obvious what sells naturally and how to get things outside of comic readers' comfort zone to sell well. As plenty of people in the thread have noted, DC is worse than terrible at marketing. There were so many dumb decisions with this rollout, but it probably didn't help that it came on the heels of Convergence which made for a convenient "fuck it, I'm out" point for many readers which I'm sure DC wasn't expecting because they are clueless about these things.

With that said, I fucking loved damn near every book out of the lineup and it's sad to see DC fumbled the ball so hard on getting people to read them.
>>
I understand Convergence was a money-making ploy, but why wouldn't they use better writers?
Why did it suck so much?
>>
>>78287264
They just scrambled it together really quick when they realized they had to do something to fill in for two months while they moved offices, so it was pretty much just whoever was available.
>>
>>78280278
It also doesn't help that Corvergence didn't matter at all - Telos book is getting cancelled and Earth 2 has been a mess forever.

Hell, even Futures End has more of an impact despite it wasting a Batman Beyond title (although Terry run hasn't been that great either)

DC will keep playing it safe with the trinity and try to keep girl quirky books on life support, that's the future of capes as Marvel makes so much money for doing the same shit.
>>
>>78287264
Cause the project came up because they needed to fill in months between the move from New York to Burbank. If they're moving, they can't release the regular titles (unless they were stuff that was supposed to be out months before but delayed).
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.