[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Ghibli Movie is a Euro-Japanese Collaboration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: rt-1.png (242KB, 580x311px) Image search: [Google]
rt-1.png
242KB, 580x311px
>Ghibli is now at work on a new animated movie, titled The Red Turtle. However, it’s debatable whether or not it should be called anime, since it’s a co-production with Europe’s Wild Bunch, and has a Dutch director and French screenwriter.
>Sitting in the director’s chair is Michael Dudok de Wit, who also directed Father and Daughter, the winner of the Academy Award for Best Animated Short in 2001. The script is being handled by Pascale Ferran, whose most recent film was 2014’s Bird People.
>Isao Takahata, who directed Ghibli’s 2013 The Tale of Princess Kaguya as well as anime classics Grave of the Fireflies and Pom Poko, will serve as artistic producer on the film, which will have visuals produced by Studio Ghibli. The collaboration has been involved enough that de Wit temporarily relocated to Tokyo to be closer to the Ghibli staff, with Takahata personally checking the movie’s storyboards.
>Details are still scar(c)e regarding The Red Turtle, including what proportion of the final on-screen animation will come from Ghibli and how much will be done by French animators.
>scheduled for release in Japan next September.
>>
>>78267568
Source:
http://rebooti.com/2015/12/studio-ghibli-unveils-new-animated-film-set-for-release-in-japan-next-year/
>>
>>78267568
Neat.
>>
>>78267630
/thread

There isn't much to say about that.
>>
>>78267568

So it's going to be banned from both /a/ and /co/, isn't it.
>>
>>78267664
kill yourself
>>
>>78267568
>multicultural team making a movie

It is probably going to be bad.
Rarely anything good ever comes out of this kind of arrangement.
>>
>>78267825

Yeah, no one liked Inspector Gadget, Heathcliff, the Littles, Thundercats, GI Joe, Disney Afternoon, Tiny Toons, or that 3 billion Despicable Me franchise.

The news here isn't that a western company is getting a Japanese studio to do the animation, it's that Ghibli is doing it. They must need that money.
>>
>>78267927
Those are all shows with a bigger deadline so more communication between them.
Movies rarely go well because of a stricter deadline so theres more pressure.
>>
>>78267927
>They must need that money.

They do. You can't afford to operate like Ghibli(e.g. not as terrible as other anime companies) without some juggernaut merchandising and even that's slowing down, and their films haven't been as huge as they used to be.

Collaborating with or outright being commissioned by western studios and companies is pretty much the only viable solution.
>>
>>78267993
I'm amazed no anime studio has been outright acquired by a western company yet.
>>
>>78267977
>Despicable Me
>not movies
wat
>>
>>78267568
Been meaning to ask, are Disney dubs of Ghibli movies relegated to /a/ or can they be discussed in /co/?
>>
>>78267568
Here's hoping they don't decide to make it CG half way through.
>>
>>78269311
go fuck yourself
>>
>>78267568
>It's about a turtle

11/10 faith in Gibli restored
>>
>>78267568
It's going to make it's money back, and show what the new technology they are using can do, but it won't be anything impressive
>>
File: 1404088140518.jpg (16KB, 208x202px) Image search: [Google]
1404088140518.jpg
16KB, 208x202px
>>78267568
>european writers and director
>drawings an all the animation done in japan by a japanese studio
>it’s debatable whether or not it should be called anime
it's an anime, there's no debate. by that logic all anime versions of grimm's fairy tales should be discussed on /co/ and not /a/
>>
>>78267993
His last 3 movies might just as well have been made in live action and then he gets confused as to why people don't want to watch his movies anymore
>>
>>78269475
cartoon and anime are the same thing shit posting frog faggot
>>
>>78269475
shouldn't all anime done by korean studios be discussed on /co/ and not /a/?
>>
>>78269475
You're a faggot. Also, fuck you.
>>
>>78269475
That's a terrible comparison. Anime adaptations of Western literature are entirely Japanese productions, this is a collaboration with a Western studio.
Even if the animation is done in Japan, that doesn't make it /a/ exclusive material. By that logic, most of the cartoons from the 1980s should be discussed on /a/ and not /co/.
>>
>>78269587
no U
>>
>>78269475
>SilverHawks
>American Writers and Director
>Animated by Pacific Animation Corporation
>It's a Cartoon

Fuck you anon.
>>
File: 1447033911524.jpg (14KB, 242x209px) Image search: [Google]
1447033911524.jpg
14KB, 242x209px
LET'S ALL DISCUSS ANIME ON /CO/, NOTHING CAN POSSIBLY GO WRONG!
>>
>>78269589
little witch academia was a collaboration of a japanese studio and crowdfounded by europe and america, why can't we discuss it here?
>>
File: 1430067480304.jpg (6KB, 201x240px) Image search: [Google]
1430067480304.jpg
6KB, 201x240px
>>78269656
>However, it’s debatable whether or not it should be called anime, since it’s a co-production with Europe’s Wild Bunch, and has a Dutch director and French screenwriter
>>
>>78269381
>>78269587
>>78269625
>>
>Ghibli
Just wait for him to announce his 15th retirements
>>
>>78267568
>what proportion of the final on-screen animation will come from Ghibli and how much will be done by French animators.
I say 2% will be made by french animators, probably the end title credits
>>
>>78269859
>implying Ghibli is a person
>>
>>78269859
>Miyazaki is all of Ghibli
>>
>>78269957
indeed
>>
> implying anime is a genre rather than a medium or style
>>
>>78270192
Anime is an American marketing buzzword. The Japanese don't draw a linguistic distinction between foreign and domestic animation. US distributors insisted on using "anime" to describe the product, to distance it from the age-ghetto stigma attached to cartoons, and convince edgy teens that it was cool.
>>
>the red turtle
Super Mario prequel?
>>
File: image.jpg (9KB, 195x195px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
9KB, 195x195px
>>78269568
Don't let the /a/ fags hear you say that
>>
>>78270321
what's up Mr. Enter.

You're a huge faggot and your pilots are shit
>>
>>78268865
Isn't that against Japanese law of some shit.
>>
>>78269568
Family Guy is anime.
>>
>>78267568
>Michael Dudok de Wit
>Pascale Ferran
From a quick peek, their filmographies aren't anything outstanding.
I hope it will be their big reveal, but I doubt it. Especially for Ferran. I'm suspicious of french leftist authors doing romantic movies exclusively. From my experience it's a subtype of yes man, except it can also be fanatical.
>>
>new Ghibli movie
Except that it's not at all?

Still, movie looks good. Father & Daughter had a neat visual style, and French animation has been experiencing a sort of renaissance lately. I'm excited.
>>
>>78267977
That's bullshit. Almost every European production involves different animation studios in different countries. Ernest & Celestine, the Cartoon Saloon movies, Sylvain Chomet's productions, etc. Hell, Fantastic Planet is arguably one of the best animated movies ever made, and it was co-produced by at least 3 countries. Even anime like Night on the Galactic Railroad and Interstella 5555 exported to Europe.
How is this any different from an anime or big special-effects movie having another studio do in-betweens? The only real difference is that in this case Miyazaki (and apparently Takahata now) are acting as producers, but I'm still confused as to where you got the belief that "movies rarely go well." Are there any examples? Anything?
>>
File: Alfredjodocuskwak_logo.jpg (55KB, 246x272px) Image search: [Google]
Alfredjodocuskwak_logo.jpg
55KB, 246x272px
>>78267825
Fuck you and your nignorance.
>>
>>78269656
it'd be nice for change. /co/ discuses cartoons focusing on the industry and technical aspect of its production. /a/ and pretty much any anime comunity is all about muh otaku, muh waifu, muh memes.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.