[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Star vs Quality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 16

Someone explain to me why people like this show. The minute the opening started I wanted to kill a puppy. Tbere's no coherency anywhere, characters are blatant and cliche AF and the voice acting is the shittiest I've heard in year. Some people have put this shit in the same zone as Steven Universe and Gravity Falls.WTF?
>>
It's hit or miss. The 22-minute episodes are probably up their with some of 2015's best, the comedy episodes can either be really good or really bad.
>>
dont listem to these muh comfy guys. i watch the show and all the things people complain about are true, the intro song is absolute cringe, villains are terrible especially the small bird one, and a lot of the comedy is too inoffensive. the reason i watch it is because it is unengaging both in a good and a bad way, so its the ultimate show to watch while youre waiting for other shows' new episodes or to burn time. it is slightly cute aswell which is why 80% of people are into it for the waifu
>>
>>78257431
It's not as good as GF or SU, but it's a naturally sweet and funny cartoon (except when it tries too hard)
It's either love it or hate it
>>
Reposting my list:

GOOD

“Star Comes to Earth”
“Monster Arm”
“Cheer Up Star”
“Quest Buy”
“Mewberty”
“Pixtopia”
“Sleep Spells”
“Blood Moon Ball”
“Fortune Cookies”
“St. Olga’s”
“Mewnidepence Day”

OK

"Diaz Family Vacation"
"Marco Grows a Beard"

Bad

>the rest
>>
File: 1425945604666.png (920KB, 480x357px) Image search: [Google]
1425945604666.png
920KB, 480x357px
>>78257431
I wouldn't overrate the thing but there is certainly worse out there. Mellow out a bit and try watching it again.
>>
90% of the people watch it for the waifu and nothing is stronger than the power of boners, so the fedoralords who try to defend it use anything in the book in order to convince everyone else that it isn't mostly fap material.
>>
File: 0404coffee.jpg (26KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
0404coffee.jpg
26KB, 320x320px
>>78257431
>thinking SU is good, let alone better than Star
Kill yourself
>>
>>78257774
Fuck off Misha, we know it's you
>>
I think most fans, including me, see it as more as decent/entertaining with the potential to improve, not the best cartoon ever or anything. Some aspects of it can grow on you too-- wasn't impressed by Star's voice at first but came to like it a lot as I watched more.

Anyway, things I like:
>the art style is simple, but also detailed enough to give characters different eye colors, face shapes, etc; everyone looks cute or appealing. The general color palette is good too, with lighting changing with different environments/times and the characters' appearances reflecting that. It all looks pretty good in motion
>the humor is frequently pretty dark for a kids' show about a magical girl, and when it gets in that territory I think it's at its funniest. It's refreshing to see that Disney cartoons today can once again use "kill," "die," etc.
>It has continuity and a larger plot, but also doesn't take itself 100% seriously at all times either. Good middle ground between lore and lolrandom

That said, the show has a lot of issues with pacing due to trying to do too much in the 10-minute format, and sometimes jokes that must have seemed hilarious to the crew at the time but end up not working at all onscreen. It might have benefited the show to do more plot-heavy episodes early on to show its potential for being more serious, rather than placing most of them past the halfway point of the season and making the show appear to be "obviously" just fluff and turning some viewers off in the process.

For me the things I like balance out the problem areas and I'm hoping those can smooth out in the newer season, but it's not really a show everyone's going to like either.
>>
>>78257605
Media making you cringe has nothing to do with the quality of the product and only reflects your bias/insecurity.
Just stop spreading around "this thing is so bad it makes me cringe!!!"
>>
File: CSpCQkMUkAASVjT.png (698KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
CSpCQkMUkAASVjT.png
698KB, 1200x1200px
>>78257431
The voice acting is fine. I get that people think Star sounds like an "old lady", but I just can't hear it. Blatant and Cliche aren't inherently bad, it's how they're used. With Star Vs, it's all done in an alright way. It's also pretty coherent, and easy to follow.
It's possible you just don't like it or the show isn't for you. On another note, in hind-sight, with an OP that says "WTF", it's entirely possible this is bait.
>>78257774
To be fair, Steven Universe has gotten around to more stuff, just in its first season, than Star Vs has. Having re-watched all the episodes of Star rather recently, not much really happens, and some parts fall flat. That doesn't make it bad, or really even worse than SU, but it's easily possible to see why some people would say SU is better than Star VS.
Personally, I'm expecting it to really pick up next season, since it had some time to figure out what it wants to do and what it doesn't want to do and it knows it has a fanbase to please.
>>
>>78257763
Sure thing, tumblr
>>
>>78257922
I promise you this isn't bait. I'd pick a much better show to bait with. The straw that broke the camels back was that god awful line AND delivery of "BECAUSE I"M SOOOOOOOGGY!" I swore I was listening to Jonny test when I heard that. To me it's not even a matter of the voices fitting, the acting in and of itself is gratingly forced.
>>
I feel that the people behind Star don't make an effort to appeal to people over a certain age, so it doesn't have much to offer for adults. The target demographic is smaller.
As to why /co/ enjoys it, it's probably the waifu-factor.

Also, when the opening was first released, it generated hype that it probably couldn't live up to even if it turned out to be good.
>>
>needing to meticulously analyse a cartoon aimed at small children.
Pretty sad, and genuinely autistic. Don't you have better things to do, OP-faggot? I don't even watch this show and I can see how life-threateningly autistic and empty inside you are.
It's a bait thread.
>>
>>78257828
I liked the artstyle which is why I wanted to like this show. I didn't EXPECT it to be SU or AT level or anything like that, but I didn't expect it to physically hurt.
>>
File: CV3LZO4UAAAaf1E.jpg (106KB, 676x858px) Image search: [Google]
CV3LZO4UAAAaf1E.jpg
106KB, 676x858px
>>78257999
No, that's fair enough. I think it falls back to what >>78257828 says, where they think it's funny, so they put it out and it doesn't catch as well as they think.
>>
>>78257719
Pretty solid, don't know why you dislike Storm the Castle though.
>>
>>78257431
Because I wantn to kiss her
>>
>>78258094
Fuck, I meant for it to be on there at Good.
>>
>>78258094
Storm the castle was bad
>>
File: 1443306545008.gif (1MB, 480x269px) Image search: [Google]
1443306545008.gif
1MB, 480x269px
>>78258137
Are you kidding me?
>>
>>78259494
Yes.
>>
>>78257431

The waifu factor is a pretty decent part of why people like it.
>>
>>78257431
It's very nicely paced with some nice funny bits and there is genuine chemistry between the characters. Shame they won't go anywhere with the concept, I dropped it fairly quickly when I realized that.

But it's still much much better than Crying & Singing.
>>
File: tumblr_nzdbgaLT6Q1u8lgf9o1_1280.png (327KB, 633x699px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzdbgaLT6Q1u8lgf9o1_1280.png
327KB, 633x699px
>>78257791

Sorry tumblr, not everyone here has been brainwashed into thinking Shitven Tumblrverse is good.

>>78257922
>To be fair, Steven Universe has gotten around to more stuff, just in its first season, than Star Vs has.

Don't forget that Steven got about 52 quarter minute episodes for it's first season, while Star got about 26. Steven's equivalent of Storm that Castle would be Ocean Gem.
>>
>>78257999
>the acting is gratingly forced
Can you figure out how to actually verbalize your issues with the show instead of this diarrhea of vaguely critical words?
>>
>>78257431
Careful dude
>>
>>78257431
>Defend your tastes

Fuck you, OP.

At least my tastes aren't as bad as your dad's.
>>
>>78257431
> gravity falls was ever good
op pls
>>
>>78257774
It is? I like both show but SU is better that SVTFOE IMO
>>
The thing that angers me the most is how you can still see the outlines of her eyes through her hair.
>>
File: hard.png (87KB, 500x469px) Image search: [Google]
hard.png
87KB, 500x469px
>WTF?
>>
>>78257431
openings shit show is good
>>
>>78265664
Nice meme /sug/. Into the >>/trash/ you go.
>>
>>78266186
Meme? What meme? Also gravity falls never was good.
>>
>>78267097
Calling anyone that criticizes /sug/ is a meme.

You have to fight fire with fire, anon. This is war.
>>
>>78257431
it's mediocre at best, humor it hit or miss.

/co/ loves it cause' the show is waifu material or they self insert as 'Marco' since almost all /co/mrades are weebs who wants a magical girl moving them from their boring lifes.
>>
>>78267238
>criticizes GF /sug/*
>>
>>78266186
>Implying Steven Universe isn't the same level of shit as Gravity Falls
>>
>>78264037
>Shitven Tumblrverse
Topkek
How clever
>>
>>78267276
> implying steven universe is shit
>>
>>78267652
What does it matter?

GF will end with Bill defeated, the twins together in spite of Dipper's prospective career, and possibly the town de-weirded so that everything is as bland as possible.

Steven Universe will end with Steven fucking talking down [end villain] and everyone will be one happy family with no damn conflict or loose ends addressed.

We're all going to walk away disappointed. Why argue?
>>
The visuals are great and the humor ranges from inoffensive to pretty good. If you like cartoons there's not much to turn you off. Besides the atrocious theme song. Fun fact: the instrumental version is actually really good and if they didn't fuck it up with effete hipster lyrics we'd probably all like it.
>>
>>78266186
>>78267097
>>78267238
>implying dutygenerate is not everything
>>
>>78264037
>complaining about tumblr with a pic from tumblr
Priceless.
>>
speaking of star the japanese dub comes out today doesn't it? subs fucking when?
>>
File: non_impressed.png (76KB, 221x176px) Image search: [Google]
non_impressed.png
76KB, 221x176px
>>78264037
>Steven's equivalent of Storm that Castle would be Ocean Gem
Why not Jail Break?

>>78268989
>the instrumental version is actually really good
True.

>>78268962
>Steven Universe will end with Steven fucking talking down [end villain] and everyone will be one happy family with no damn conflict or loose ends addressed.
Better ending with Steven becaming Gem God.
>>
>>78269511
It came out already but no one seems to have uploaded it.
>>
File: tumblr_nzjxjlCnce1rmp7yuo1_1280.png (747KB, 900x619px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nzjxjlCnce1rmp7yuo1_1280.png
747KB, 900x619px
>>78269569
>>Why not Jail Break?

>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Steven_Universe_episodes
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_vs._the_Forces_of_Evil#Season_1

Star has had 13 half hour episodes, with most of them split up into two independent shorts (so it adds up to roughly 26 quarter hour episodes.) So all together, the first season would last about 6.5 hours.

If you look at Steven Universe episodes, the 26th episode is Ocean Gem, which was also a two-parter episode (it picked up directly after Mirror Gem) like Storm the Castle was. The run of the first SU episode to Ocean gem would also have been 6.5 hours.

Jail Break takes place 52 episodes in, so that would have been twice the run time as Star, so of course SU would have a bunch more time to explore lore, characters, etc.
>>
>>78269511
>star the japanese dub
>Devil Buster Star Butterfly is the japan's name of the show
>>
>>78269729
Ok, but as for me SU is aired on Europe so CN Europe pair two 11-minute episodes into one half hour episode, then we've got 26 half hour episodes in season 1.

EXAMPLE:
Season 1

1. Cheeseburger Backpack/Laser Light Cannon
2. Gem Glow/Together Breakfast
3. Bubble Buddies/Cat Fingers
4. Frybo/Serious Steven
5. Giant Woman/Arcade Mania
6. Tiger Millionaire/Steven's Lion
7. So Many Birthdays/Lars And The Cool Kids
8. Onion Trade/Steven The Sword Fighter
9. Lion 2: The Movie/Coach Steven
10. Beach Party/Rose's Room
11. Steven and the Stevens/Joking Victim
12. Monster Buddies/An Indirect Kiss
13. Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem
14. House Guest/Space Race
15. Keep Beach City Weird/Secret Team
16. Fusion Cuisine/Lion 3: Straight to Video
17. Island Adventure/Warp Tour
18. Watermelon Steven/Garnet's Universe
19. Alone Together/The Test
20. Future Vision/On the Run
21. Horror Club/Winter Forecast
22. Maximum Capacity/Marble Madness
23. Rose's Scabbard/Open Book
24. Shirt Club/Story for Steven
25. The Message/Political Power
26. The Return/Jailbreak
>>
>>78269999

Nice quads. But the point is that if you use Jailbreak as season 1 endpoint, Star still only had half that amount of episodes. So >>78257922 's assertion of SU having "gotten around to more stuff" than Star not really that fair because SU had much more time to "get around to "stuff." Ocean Gem makes more sense as a point in SU's run to compare Star too, because it would have been the same amount of screentime for both shows.
>>
>>78270074
I guess you're right.
>>
>>78270074

Forgot my list:

1. Star Comes to Earth/Party with a Pony
2. Matchmaker/ School Spirit
3. Monster Arm/ Other Exchange Student
4. Cheer Up Star/ Quest Buy
5. Family Diaz Vacation/ Brittney's Party
6. Mewberty/ Pixtopia
7. Lobster Claws/ Sleep Spells
8. Blood Moon Ball/ Fortune Cookies
9. Freeze Day/ Royal Pain
10. St Olga's Reform School for Wayward Princesses (two parter)
11. Mewnipendance Day/ The Banagic Incident
12. Interdimensional Field Trip/ Marco Grows a Beard
13. Storm the Castle (two parter)
>>
>>78270137
Nice list.
>>
>>78264182
> I don't have a basic understanding of the english language
> I'm going to demonstrate my frustration by trying to pick words i think they won't understand

Grow up or get an education preae. No one needs to break down "the voice acting is not performed well" for you.
>>
It's a good show.
>>
>>78257431
It gets better. I hated the show at first too but grew to... tolerate it, I guess. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone but it's not as bad as it started, particularly the writing. That's probably not a good defense of the show, so here's all you need to know: waifus.
>>
>>78257431
>Some people have put this shit in the same zone as Steven Universe and Gravity Falls.

Oh, come on, OP, it can't be THAT bad.
>>
File: MARCO THE REAL MEXICAN.jpg (62KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
MARCO THE REAL MEXICAN.jpg
62KB, 425x425px
>>78257431
Dude hear me out. The guy main character is a fucking Mexican.

Mexican.

Why the fuck would anyone even watching this except if they're self inserting? Only mexican liking this.

If only they actually depict the mexican more realistically like pic related, it would 2000% improved this show.
>>
>>78257431
>AF
>WTF
Brah
>>
>>78264037
>the pedo that watched Steven Universe only for Connie is now saying the show is shit and that Star is better

not a surprise at all
>>
>>78273536
He's not that Mexican. You can only tell because his dad has a mustache. Other than that he is a good wholesome white boy.
>>
File: MARCO THE TRUE MEXICAN.jpg (50KB, 425x425px) Image search: [Google]
MARCO THE TRUE MEXICAN.jpg
50KB, 425x425px
>>78275764
>You can only tell because his dad has a mustache
You didn't watch the show didn't you?
>>
I only watched the parts with Michael C. Hall (toffee)
>>
>>78257431 (OP)
I only watched the parts with Michael C. Hall (toffee)
>>
>>78275844
His dad does indeed have a mustache. It is small but it is there. Perhaps you should rewatch, as your memory is clearly foggy.
>>
>>78275844
different anon, but:

I watched the entire show and while I'm pretty sure he didn't have a moustache, I had to think about it for a while.

I was more distracted by his magnificent chest hair.
>>
>>78276027
Italians also have chest hair. It's not a reliable way to determine Mexicanity.
>>
>>78276058
What about the way that everything about how his dad's voice and their house screams Mexican?
>>
I'mma give it 3 episodes...shit is painful though
>>
File: 1434568158254.jpg (122KB, 565x600px) Image search: [Google]
1434568158254.jpg
122KB, 565x600px
>>78275992
>Perhaps you should rewatch, as your memory is clearly foggy.
Yeah, maybe I should. The house, furniture, the mexican hat on the few episodes, the mexican costumes, the mexican cha cha music thingy, DEFINITELY NOT mexican.

I don't know. You didn't mention any of that so I thought IT'S LIKE YOU NEVER WATCH THE SHOW.

But my memory clearly foggy, yeah.
>>
>>78273536
Buttmad whiteboy spotted.

lmao but god forbid a non-white person should ever mention race or complain about the race of a character!
>>
>>78257719
this is el mine:

GOOD
OK
Bad

>the rest
>>
>>78257431
Tbh the most enjoyable episodes are the ones with Toffee in them, the rest range from mediocre to boring excluding Blood Moon Ball and the St Olgas episode
>>
>>78264037
>Shitven Tumblrverse
Is that why you shitposted in the generals until they kicked you out for being a filthy pedophile? Top kek mi familia
>>
>>78279099

Sorry, but those generals were too autistic even for me tbqh.
>>
>>78257431
>Someone explain to me why people like this show. The minute the opening started I wanted to kill a puppy. Tbere's no coherency anywhere, characters are blatant and cliche AF and the voice acting is the shittiest I've heard in year. Some people have put this shit in the same zone as Steven Universe and Gravity Falls.WTF?

I could say the same thing about Rick and Poopy, which people around here apparently place as the next godsend to animation when in fact it just looks like some horribly derivative edgy tryhard garbage that Newsgrounds might've shat out years back.
>>
>>78257431
I've never understood this, why the fuck would it matter if people liked something you don't. Do I have to explain every time I fine something enjoyable, I don't ask you why you enjoy the taste of cock in your mouth now do I.
>>
>>78257431
Where can I watch this show?
>>
>>78279378
kisscartoon
>>
File: shitposter revealed.png (866KB, 1916x1056px) Image search: [Google]
shitposter revealed.png
866KB, 1916x1056px
Back to /trash/ you disgusting /sug/fatty.
>>
>>78257896
Just because it's about someone's subjective taste doesn't mean it's not an opinion worth sharing, you dork.
>>
>>78279490
Requesting tsundere art of /sug/-tan and /svtfoe/-chan together, with the former as Steve and latter as Britney.
Thread posts: 86
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.