[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who's the bigger douche? Who's more sympathetic?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 5

File: bojack vs. rusty.png (764KB, 642x720px) Image search: [Google]
bojack vs. rusty.png
764KB, 642x720px
Who's the bigger douche? Who's more sympathetic?
>>
>>78252978
Most of Bojacks problems are of his own making.

Most of Venture's problems are based on the misfortune of his birth.
>>
One goes on adventures and risks his life.
The other just stands around.

Only one has touching moments of breakdown and pure whining.
When the other one has a nervous breakdown, the audience is supposed to have a big fat laugh.

Basically they are the same, but one of their shows is melodramatic egocentrism and the other tells a story with things happening in it.
>>
>>78253024
Eh. I somewhat disagree with the second part. I mean, Rusty has shitty luck but a lot of his problems are also caused by him being an asshole.

Also Bojack, unlike Rusty, thankfully never reproduced, so he couldn't project his shitty childhood and hangups on his kids. So he at least has that.
>>
>>78252978
Rusty is a bigger douche and more sympathetic. It's kinda douchey that he didn't follow into the super science thing to try and fix world hunger or something (although Super Science in that universe doesn't really seem to do much good).
But after seeing all the shit that he's had to put up with growing up with Jonas and the rest of the Team Venture, I get that. He kind of deserves to get away from that crap.
>>
>>78252978
Not to say Bojack isn't, but Rusty, by a long shot.

Mostly because we see trouble knoking on Rusty's door on a weekly basis starting this january i'm hyped fuck me it's been so long
>>
>>78253226
>Rusty
>more sympathetic
Nah son. At least Bojack has some sense of self awareness about how much of an asshole he is. Rusty either doesn't realize how shit he is or just doesn't care. The latter I think. He should rightfully be a villain tbqh
>>
They both had shitty childhoods for different reasons(both mostly related to their fathers though) Bojack is more relatable, but that's probably because his situations are more realistic.
>>
The biggest thing about Rusty is how traumatic his childhood was.
He's a legitimately smart, charming [when he lays off the sleaze], and cunning scientist. The problem is, all that misfortune in his life has just made him cynical and apathetic, therefore making him out to be a bigger douche than he really is.

He's also the only person in the show who managed to get a worker deflector shield to function. So he CAN do stuff, he just doesn't want to.

Besides, the show wouldn't be nearly as interesting, or funny, if he got off his lazy ass and tried.

Bojack, on the other hand, is a product of his own undoing. He'd rather sit in his melodrama and drink heavily right? Bojack and Rusty are both similar, but they present the shows in obviously different universes.

Adventurers in the Ventureverse is more of a deconstruction than anything else.
Whereas Celebrities have always been that- people to be celebrated for one reason or another, even if it seems like they're alien by comparison. Bojacks more affluent lifestyle is also showing of how even if you're rich, famous, or anything, it doesn't change how human you can be. Rich people can still be depressed.

you could compare them, but it wouldn't do much good. They're both sympathetic in their own way.
>>
>>78253130
eh outside of early in the first season Rusty seems to genuinely try to do right by his kids. He just tends to be really bad at it, and snark at them more than he should.
>>
>>78253856
to be fair his kids bought into a lifestyle hes always hated so snark is to be expected
>>
>>78253024
They both come from the same familial dysfunction background. Rusty seems to be more of a dick in his old age though
>>
>>78252978
Rusty is less of a douche because he has to deal with constant bullshit of being a super scientist in the world of super villians constantly trying to kill him with zany shit coming up to his door step.

Bojack is just a rich recluse that can't ever be happy no matter how easy he has it in life.
>>
>>78252978
Id say rusty, simply because he shows less remorse for his actions. Bojack tries to fix himself (even if it is just superficially, to make himself feel better), but is betrayed by his own weakness. Doc doesn't really seem to give a shit most of the time. The only time he seems genuinely sorry is on Gargantua 2, over the way he treated his brother.
>>
>>78257748
Rusty has a decent excuse for his pessimism and apathy though. He got shit on before he ever had a chance to be his own person, was pressured to be his father only to fail and get shit on for that too, then tries to just live his life and gets shit on constantly by everyone around him for doing that.

But the last thing he wants is for people to pity him. Consciously or subconsciously, acting like a narcissist douche is his only defense mechanism.
>>
id say of both bojack is more pathetic and is also the most insecure and selfloathing

rusty understands that life gave him a shitty hand and became complacent yet he still tries to raise his sons well, he took care of them as best as he could, all things cosidered.

bojack is much more of a looser, he never really acomplished anything and doesnt have any real talent or virtues and is much more crippingly insecure, he still believes the bullshit that his parents put into him.

rusty is marginally more mature and less of a fuck up, he is just extremely cynical.

bojack is an utterly broken man who has hurt way more people
>>
lets put it this way, rusty is a much less toxic person to be around, he is a jerk but to my recolection he never hurt or abused people as bad as bojack did.
most of his troubles ended up hurting him more than the people around him, bojack has destroyed more than a couple of lifes on his wake
>>
>>78253606
But that's wrong. The whole point of the Dr.killinger arc came to a head when he realized he was such a dick that killinger thought he'd make a great villian and he goes, oh shit I'm gonna be a villian? To which he calls the whole thing off.

It's a shame he didn't actually go through with it or work on himself, it just goes back to square one.
>>
>>78260419
>it just goes back to square one.

He has noticeably made more of an effort with the kids, including getting rid of the clone slugs and putting them into danger less readily. I think he's made improvements, I don't know that it necessarily came down to the Killinger thing, but I think Rusty has become a markedly better man since season 1.
>>
File: DoctorisSin.png (155KB, 479x275px) Image search: [Google]
DoctorisSin.png
155KB, 479x275px
>>78252978
Doc, by all means, should be a super villain with his upbringing and all that's happened to him. But he has this good part inside of him that doesn't allow him to take that big step. He's heavily flawed, but he always takes the right course of action. The Doctor Is Sin, Orb and Gargantua-2 like >>78257748 said shows that he's actually trying to be better even when he can gain from making the wrong choice.

Bojack tries too, but he usually ends up defaulting to the bad choice due to selfish reasons. If Bojack slept with Penny and gotten her pregnant, would he have gone back and tried to be involved in her life like Doc tried with Nikki?
>>
>>78252978
I'd say that Rusty is the bigger douche and the less sympathetic one.

Mainly, Rusty has a reason to be a bigger douche due to his childhood, but he also has genuine friends that try to help him, and he shits on them for it. White and the Monarch are truly the closest things to assholes in his life, where as Bojack is mostly surrounded by people that fluctuate from caring to asshole..
>>
>>78259522

Rusty used the soul of an orphan to power a dream machine and turned a group of college interns into cannibalistic mutants.
>>
>>78253024
On the other hand, Doc is a parent and has produced two very neurotic/out-of-touch-with-reality kids.
>>
>>78252978
Rusty on both counts because he's poor and doesn't get laid much.
>>
>>78260419
Did Killinger think Rusty would make a great villain? Or did he just show Rusty what he needed to see to not become a villain somewhere down the line?
>>
Personally I can't sympathize with Bojack or see him as less douchey after Escape From L.A.

That episode sealed the deal.
>>
>>78252978
Rusty is a great guy. I can't say anything bad about him. Bojack is just depressed because he always want things he can't get.
>>
>>78260999
>Rusty used the soul of an orphan to power a dream machine
Episode? I really don't remember that
>>
>>78261648
Dr. Orpheus introduction episode, I think.
>>
>>78260569
It doesn't really feel like that though. I was honestly hoping he'd be a supervillian but a really awesome one.

Ultimately I just want him to eventually become the man that his super ego was even if it takes a while. I'd want the series to end on that note.
>>
>>78260756
>If Bojack slept with Penny and gotten her pregnant, would he have gone back and tried to be involved in her life like Doc tried with Nikki?
That shit was actually painful to watch, they were really in love with each other and they were just not allowed to be together. He looked back on that painfully and with regret, I wished he'd been able to get her back into his life.
>>
>>78260999
It's not like he used the whole thing, the rest of that orphan could be fine.
>>
>>78253130
>Also Bojack, unlike Rusty, thankfully never reproduced
He fucked a hooker and got her pregnant.
>>
>>78260569
He's gotten better but he's still a shitty parent. He has a long way to go.
>>
>>78253024
One of the most important themes of BoJack is his abusive upbringing.

>You're BoJack Horseman. You were born broken. That's your birthright.
>>
File: venturebros412-5.jpg (50KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
venturebros412-5.jpg
50KB, 500x281px
>>78261786
Probably one of my favorite episodes too.
>>
>>78253606
Rusty accidentally slept with a 16 year old and got her pregnant but was willing to do the right thing and take care of her and the kid.

Bojack willingly tried sleeping with a 16-17 year old because he couldn't bang her mother.

Rusty is the better person. He takes the responsibilities thrust upon them. he doesn't buy a boat he doesn't need in a desperate attempt to reconnect and bang his old girlfriend. and then her underage daughter.
>>
>>78262180
oh god didn't he wind up fucking his own mother or something? I completely forgot about that.
>>
>>78252978
About equal in different ways.

Rusty does villainous things and is aware of it. But he also does well by people when he tries. He's capable of good, and does so from time to time.

Bojack is almost incapable of change. He transitions between being aware of what's wrong and feeling guilt, and not caring anymore and seeking vices to get away from aforementioned guilt and feeling none in the present tense.

Rusty has done some fairly bad things, worse than Bojack. But Bojack knows right and wrong and how to cope but just doesn't because he has no willpower while Rusty actually is getting better as he learns.

Rusty rejected being a villain. Bojack is trying just not to cause a disaster everywhere he goes.
>>
>>78262264
Rusty has also never tried to deliberately ruin his friends' lives like Bojack. They're just caught in his spiral downwards.
>>
>>78262312
no he fucked his half brothers mother. we still don't know who Hank and Deans mother is.
>>
>>78262312
Nah, he fucked Dermott's mother. It was then revealed that She was Rusty's fan club's president who Rusty slept with an impregnated - not knowing she was only 15. So Hank's half-brother's mother.
>>
>>78260999
He doesn't believe in souls. He used the electric charge contained in a physical heart, and we never found out how he got it.

Actually killing said orphan is way beyond Venture. Which means he probably just bought a corpse or paid a dying orphan for the heart after he died.
>>
>>78260999
He didn't intentionally turn those college interns into mutants. It just kind of happened. He's an opportunist.
>>
>>78260999
>turned a group of college interns into cannibalistic mutants
that was an accident and he worked on trying to fix it when he found out. but what could he do anyway. Palo Salazar was dead and if he couldn't fix it who could?
>>
File: 1442189689483.jpg (24KB, 600x401px) Image search: [Google]
1442189689483.jpg
24KB, 600x401px
>>78261336
>People still think Bojack fucked Penny
>>
>>78262409
>>78262470
>>78262387
>>78261847
>>78261610
>>78260569
>All these Rusty apologists in this thread

He may be a better person but he's still a piece of shit.
>>
>>78262543
Rusty has his limits is all some of us our saying.
He needs a certain amount of grey area to do his work, he's not just gonna hop in the black.
>>
>>78262591
>he's not just gonna hop in the black
"BRING ME DEAD PEOPLE."
>>
>>78262543
But that was the point of the thread.
Who is worse.

They're the same thing. Rusty does worse things, but also does better and genuinely gives a fuck.

Bojack does less, but is only motivated by selfish reasons to do literally anything and any act of kindness, or even fixing his own messes, has to be drug out of him.
>>
How would /co/ have have about Rusty taking the villain and going through with arching JJ for a couple of episodes or even a season?
Thread posts: 51
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.