[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's the consensus on New X-men? I really liked the kids,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

File: New_X-Men_114.jpg (76KB, 400x620px) Image search: [Google]
New_X-Men_114.jpg
76KB, 400x620px
What's the consensus on New X-men? I really liked the kids, Beak, Angel and Fantomex was great. Some of the Cassandra Nova stuff was weird and sometimes it felt like Morrison was pulling twists and resolutions out of his ass (Xorn, Phoenix rewriting history)
Also Beast is kind of a selfish prick isn't he?
>>
>>78170245
>and sometimes it felt like Morrison was pulling twists and resolutions out of his ass (Xorn,

Nah, he'd already set it up right from the start.
>>
>>78170285

is that right?
>>
I like it better as an "Ultimate" or "Earth One", "All-Star", etc, X-men story than as one from their continuity.
>>
OP here. I've read this, Schism and the recent Wovlerine and the X-men comic that had Quentin Quire and the Hellfire club. What else should I read?
>>
>>78170285
Is this the new Snape kills Dumbledore?
>>
>>78170338
Read the Claremont run. It's the most important run in the history of the series.
>>
>>78170285
ok cool
>>
>>78170517
sdf
>>
>>78170338
Whedon's Astonishing.
Carey and Spurrier's runs on Legacy.
Milligan's X-Statix.
PAD's X-Factors.
Remender's Uncanny X-Force.

These are the highest points of the last twenty years.
>>
>>78170859
>Milligan's X-Statix.
Don't read this if you want to read an actual X-Men/superhero comic. It's basically just a parody written by a guy who clearly doesn't like the genre. But the art is nice at least.
>>
>>78172017
I saw it as a parody of reality television and soap opera superheros (which the X-Men do fall under of course) more than a straight shitting on the X-Men,
>>
File: X-Statix-24-13.jpg (382KB, 1024x1551px) Image search: [Google]
X-Statix-24-13.jpg
382KB, 1024x1551px
>>78172017
Well, yeah, kind of, but it's a nice spin that worked well with the Marvel universe as it was during that time.
>>
>>78172042
>>78172067
It just wasn't for me. I don't think it was shitty or poorly written, it's just not the type of comic I'm into and I wouldn't recommend it to people who simply want to read a straight-up superhero comic.
>>
>>78172229
If you only want to read a 'straight-up superhero comic' and aren't willing to accept something that doesn't fall into those genre norms, than you don't care about comics and hence, I don't care about you. This is still a comics board, believe it or not, and we can give recommendations and talk about these books on their own merits freely.
>>
>>78172263
>IF YOU DON'T LIKE WHAT I LIKE THEN YOU'RE NOT A REAL FAN
You need to unrustle those jimmies.
>>
>>78172263
Gee, he just said he'd prefer something closer to classics. There's nothing wrong with wanting superhero books to be about goddamn superheroes, God knows we don't have enough of those lately.
Never at any point he said there's something inherently wrong with X-Statix or similar books.
>>
>>78170859
Anyone else hate Remender's X-Force after the Angel arc? It just got boring and never recovered.
>>
>>78173537
I didn't really like the Captain Britain part but maybe it's just because I don't know a whole lot about those guys. Maybe it would pack a stronger punch if I read about them before.
I thought the last arc was very nice, even though Remender kind of spoiled a few scenes here and there with unnecessary dialogue.
>>
>>78173537
The Captain Britain stuff was shit, but I thought everything else was great. Also I'm currently reading his Fear Agent and loving it, even though the story flies by pretty quickly.
>>
I don't know if it's the best X-Men ever in terms of story quality, but that... style and overall approach to the concept, in terms of tone and even visually, is probably my favorite. Like for all it's flaws (Morrison's reach exceeding his grasp, the fucking fill-in art) it's the one that appeals to me the most, the first and only take on the X-Men to ever really click for me. It's some pretty cool shit.

I wish they'd use something like the New X-Men uniforms for the movies. Maybe not as puffy.
>>
>>78170245

I remember mostly enjoying it except for... this was the arc where the X-Men fight that sublime virus villain right? I didn't care for that. I dunno, It's not inherently dumber or more impossible than anything else that regularly happens in X-Men or comics in general but... I dunno, I just really didn't care about it. Something about a sentient virus that faced no "real" opposition until the arrival of mutants and has existed since the beginning of life on earth but has never been mentioned before this arc, it should be threatening, but it just wasn't, at least to me. It just felt comically dumb. The X-men have more telepaths per capita than any other group in the Marvel U, how did a virus who's only really potency seems to be behavioral control rather than genuine illness threaten them? And then yeah, as OP said then at the end of it it's solved by phoenix rewriting history so that scott and emma start boning.

Intellectually I know this concept isn't that ridiculous by cape standards, but something about it just seemed dumb and overblown, I was less irritated by the Xorn clusterfuck than I was by this.
>>
>>78170245
morrisonfags will defend this crap, everyone else ignores it, as it was really low time for the x-men.
>>
Should get a movie.
>>
>>78173862
>muh anti-morrisonfag meme

You probably never read any X-Men comics anyway.
>>
>>78173862
Mor-ri-son. Not Austen.
>>
>>78170859
>Carey and Spurrier's runs on Legacy.
>Remender's Uncanny X-Force.
Don't understand how people can read this boring stuff
>>
>>78170338
Everything by Kyle and Yost.
>>
File: X-Men Legacy 007-007.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
X-Men Legacy 007-007.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>78174243
>Legion's crazy master plans
>fucking Age of X
>a story about professional murderers preventing the end of the world
Even if you for some incomprehensible reason ignore all the character studies, these books have incredibly high entertainment value.
>>
>>78170245

Xorn makes perfect sense once you re-read it and pick up on all the subtle but in hindsight totally obvious clues. Morrison's run is very status quo shaking and revolutionary for the franchise, so it can totally feel very wrong in comparison to what came before. I generally disliked the run as a teenager but after some years really started to appreciate it more once I got what Grant was doing and how annoying it was when they book took a hard 180 turn back right after he left the book, retconning shit left and right as much as possible.
>>
>>78173810
Sublime isn't the problem, it's how he was used. He was an explanation for a question, why do people hate mutants, that doesn't really need an answer beyond "people are assholes and easily frightened, plus all the mutant supervillains aren't helping." His end goal of stopping evolution was retarded even by comic books standards. And he's generically evil because Grant really can't do shades of grey in his superhero stories. Going by Grant's stated premise that mutants will eventually replace humanity and Sublime's inability to infect mutants, a far better motivation for a sentient, sapient, telepathic, hivemind bacteria from the beginning of time would be that he's lashing out strictly because mutants are an accidental existential threat to him. That he doesn't hate them, just that by virtue of existing they're going to kill him in an incredibly short period of time relative to himself and he can't allow that. Instead what we got was a pretty standard take-over-the-world-and-have-humanity-as-my-playthings villain with a different presentation. Even then, by later revealing that Sublime can control mutants through Kick, Grant completely undermines Sublimes actions.

The U-Men were a great idea though. Weapon X got pretty fucking retarded though.
>>
>>78174350

People constantly bitch about how X-men should be on their own Earth because it makes no sense people hate mutants but love the Avengers, so Sublime was a clever way to finally to an end to the debate. And as for Sublime's plan and motivation, it makes sense to play him as he was written in the book. He's basically in favor of genocide to keep himself on top, because that's the type of a life form he is. He needs no shades of grey, he's not an entity that has any use for morality. He perceives a threat to his existence, he wants to destroy it and preserve the status quo. On a meta level it's commentary about the stagnation of comic fans who just want to read the same old stories rather than see any type of organic chance.
>>
So, what was that thing anon said, that Marvel wanted Jean and Scott to have messy divorce but Morisson killed her off?
>>
>>78174401
>it makes no sense people hate mutants but love the Avengers

That's not really true at all. The whole cheering adoring crowds is primarily a post-Morrison thing. And again there are plenty of in-universe reason why they'd love the Avengers over mutants. The Avengers are an officially sanctioned law enforcement group with ties to the intelligence community and the military being financed and run by a non-profit charity foundation. The X-Men have always been a shadowy group who deal almost exclusively with mutants and then hide in their heavily fortified mansion. Plus they took in a widely known terrorist as a member for awhile. The Avengers are garishly dressed cops who occasionally fight alien invasions, the X-Men are a private militia.

And just because something is meta doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>78173983
>>78174012
kill yourselves, pls
>>
>>78174401
That's a complete bullshit. I have a better theory:
Shadow King. He was very butthurt about Xavier btfo him, and he influenced people from the dark realm. It's less contriverd, more elegant and less retarded. Sublime is a shitty idea in a wide sea of morrison's shitty ideas, like secondary mutations.
>>
>>78174653
>like secondary mutations
>everyone keeps gaining new powers
>Cyclops still can't control beams
>>
>>78174681
It's because punch dimension
>>
>>78170245
the best thing about this run was cyclops, mad him really cool i didn't really like him till i read Morrison run
>>
>>78174692
he is so certain he will win or survive, thats the reason he is the leader of the xmen
>>
>>78170245
It was pretty epic... Maybe not in terms of story, but it literally changed the whole essence and general direction of X-men. It gave them new life.
>>
>>78174859
then new editor destroyed everything by killing all the muties
>>
>>78174859
for like half a decade lmao
>>
File: image.png (528KB, 640x960px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
528KB, 640x960px
>>78173810
>And then yeah, as OP said then at the end of it it's solved by phoenix rewriting history so that scott and emma start boning.
Are you kidding. This would have been the best ending for Jean had they not brought her back over and over again. Despite all the mess that happened between her and Scott, she was able to step back and tell Scott to live. She wanted him to be happy because she loved him. She didn't grant him permission to start boning but Jean was gone and he wasn't going to move on but she pushed him because she loved him. She was expressing love and saying goodbye, it was a perfect ending.
I wish this would have been our last memory of her, instead we have jack ass writers that have a boner for her that have instead made her a joke.
>>
>>78174859
>morrisonfags are THAT delusional
A reminder that Morrison destroyed Genosha, and abandoned Magneto as the president of Genosha, one of the best status quo in X-Men history, in order to write his shitty cliche Magneto turns evil psycho story.
>>
>>78175074
What did you think all the mutants would live happily ever after in an island?
>>
>>78175103
They were having it pretty good there.
>>
>>78170305
>than as one from their continuity

New X-Men was the last time the X-Men were dangerous and challenging.

Now they're back to being action figures.
>>
I can't get past that awful same-face art. Quite frankly, it's horrible.
>>
>>78170245
Solid premise, execution could waver, still one of only 3 good Xmen runs
>>
>>78170338
Uncanny Xmen by Gillen
>>
>>78170338
Uncanny Xmen by Gillen.
>>
>>78170245
>TRIPLETS RULE!

The Stepfords are the best to come from NXM.
>>
>>78175103
it was much better than "muh extinction" for the nth time, you faggot.
>>
>>78170245

Would anyone be interested in storytiming this run, like a kind anon did Austen some time ago?
>>
>>78175137
except there are no action figures, because "muh movie rights", except some super limited expensive shit.
>>
>>78175418
No. But I bet that you will do it anyway.
>>
>>78173660
Fear Agent is amazing and /co/ never talks about it. Get ready for one hell of an ending.
>>
>>78170245
>sometimes it felt like Morrison was pulling twists and resolutions out of his ass
baby's1stmorrison.bmp
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.