[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cartoons that kids of today probably wouldn't laugh at.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

File: 90s references.jpg (27KB, 378x273px) Image search: [Google]
90s references.jpg
27KB, 378x273px
Cartoons that kids of today probably wouldn't laugh at.
>>
Of course they wouldn't. A lot of the show's humor is based on late 80s and early 90s pop culture references. I still don't get most of the celebrity jokes.
>>
File: LooneyTunesWallpaper800.jpg (171KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
LooneyTunesWallpaper800.jpg
171KB, 800x600px
Dated jokes will do that.
>>
>>78168068
I was born in 1988 and still understood the references to the 30s, 40s and 50s in Looney Tunes/Merrie Melodies cartoons.

The difference now is that kids today are not exposed to the culture of past generations due to the rise of the internet, DVD sets and streaming services, which make "retro" programming unnecessary.

Kids these days want the newest, hippest, futuristic thing. They don't have any interest in the past, because that isn't cool.
>>
>>78168068
My kids were born in 2004, 2005 and 2008 and all of them love Looney Tunes.
>>
>>78167892
>Cartoons that kids of today probably wouldn't laugh at.
Because Animaniacs was crap. I didn't like it then and I don't like it now. Redundant storytelling, uninteresting main characters, and a team of writers who kept trying way too damn hard.
>>
>>78168663
edgy
>>
>>78168663
>storytelling
>characters
Two out of three arguments are not the appeal of the show m8, and the third one is a super cool opinion.
>>
>>78167892
Wow OP, you big gay andy rooney faggot, I hope you die of ass cancer.
Seriously, please, please die as soon as possible
>>
>>78168663
Try watching (a children's cartoon, remember) when you aren't near-fatally hungover.
>>
>>78167892

Every single time i call animaniacs dated someone always white knights it hard.

It is dated right? It's pop culutre references of the 80s-90s with looney toons slapstick humor mixed in. Modern kids would get some enjoyment out of it but a lot of the times be left shaking their heads.

While were on the topic of animanaics can we talk about the "finger prince" joke. I honestly feel like it was a joke taken horribly out of context and not sexual in nature at all but everyone sites it as being the ultimate dirty joke in a kids show.
>>
>>78171725
>Not sexual at all in nature

Are you literally developmentally disabled?
>>
>>78171773

I understand where it could come from and noticed the word "finger"

I honestly feel like they were using the word "finger" to mean accuse and not to shove your finger inside of someone. The context of the situation leans more toward the former.

Also if this was really a sexual joke it was done really clumsily. If you're going to put a joke like that into a kids show it has to be cleverly disguised to make it funny, otherwise it's just being crude and nothing else.
>>
>>78171875
Using "finger" to mean accuse? Then why on earth was Dot so disgusted with the idea? That's not the kind of disgust one displays when asked to accuse someone of a crime. Also, it was clearly a joke stuck in for the parents that had to watch the show. Maybe it was clumsy, but it was absolutely and without question a sexual joke.
>>
File: tumblr_ntcqltz2cC1sbfrero1_1280.jpg (42KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ntcqltz2cC1sbfrero1_1280.jpg
42KB, 620x400px
>>78171875
>>78171927
Also, let's not forget Prince's lewd grin at Dot.
>>
File: 1449910983894.png (707KB, 491x1273px) Image search: [Google]
1449910983894.png
707KB, 491x1273px
>>78168663
>Because Animaniacs was crap

Nice b8, m8.
>>
>>78168312
It also has to do with how we were raised.

Most of the music you heard growing up was your parents stuff until you were old enough to be given a CD player or something. We didn't have PCs in our bedrooms or a million other distractions, so we probably spent more time around our folks and picked up on the shit they knew from when they were kids.
>>
the writers didn't understand that people who don't work in the industry wouldn't know what they were talking about half the time.
>>
>>78168015
Most of the references predate the 80s and 90s, save Mel Gibson. The jokes being dated is not really an issue compared to how repetitive the writing was.

>>78170244
The jokes (which were usually plot related) were the most redundant part.
>Mindy and Buttons
>Mindy is off doing dangerous shit (but doesn't get hurt) and Buttons gets into "hilarious" slapstick
>Goodfeathers
>The joke is a reference to that one scene in that one movie that kids can't watch, every time
>the Warners
>they get into whacky shit with a historical figure that apparently prevents them to work, but it turns out the Warners were responsible for their genius all along, who'd have thunk it?
>Pinky & the Brain
>they literally say they do the same thing every night
>Rita and Runt
>something something recognizable setting, something something finding a house, something something singing
>Slappy Squirel
>it's a joke about pre-60s Hollywood
>Hip Hippos
>they're fat hippos but they're snobs, get it? Neither do I.
>Chicken Boo
>see he's a chicken, but he's good at human things, and then people don't notice he's a chicken, except one character who'll be mocked for it. But it turns out he was a chicken and people aren't happy with that

>inb4 you can do that with everything if you dumb it down
Yeah but no, nothing is as repetitive as Goodfeathers,
>>
>>78173096
>that slappy squirel episode that was basically just about how hurting critics physically is funny because critics are big meanies who don't appreciate your work
>>
>>78173219
Best Animaniacs bit of all time was Slappy's version of Who's On First. Literally the only version I've ever seen that beats the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mdqv5xIsFLM
>>
>>78173941
It is damn funny but it's one of those things that rely on references some may not get.
The original works with less context (although it was damn confusing as a young European who didn't know the basics baseball).
>>
>>78173201
>Yeah but no, nothing is as repetitive as Goodfeathers

Fuck those skits. I really hated how Pesto kept beating up Squit because he's an ill-tempered dumbass. Got old very fast. I hated the Buttons and Mindy sketches too.
>>
>>78168663
Being a kid, I was already surrounded by ADHD sociopaths. And this show has three of them. Needless to say, I was always siding with the side characters who always lost.

I quickly learned to turn off the TV when these fuckheads appeared.
>>
>>78168015
There's one joke that has aged pretty well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOtmdHiCJNY
>>
>>78167892
This show is still relevant, what it really needs to get popular again is a crossover with another popular show, possible a three way crossover with another show that deserves more credit.

So the question is, when are we getting a Hamtaro/Animaniacs/Simpsons special episode? It would be fucking amazing guys this has to happen.
>>
>>78173941
>thinking Who's On First is funny
>>
File: loss.png (1MB, 933x708px) Image search: [Google]
loss.png
1MB, 933x708px
inb4 TMS shill
TMS shill pls leave
pls
>>
>>78168068
>>78168312
>>78168410
>>78172996
I know I'll sound like a nostalgiafag or "le wrong generation" person, but it seems that all the television networks stopped giving a shit about vintage animation in 2005. Hence, most people under 15 don't know what Looney tunes is.
>>
>>78175722
>most people under 15 don't know what Looney tunes is.
As much as I love Looney Tunes, I don't think not knowing about a century-old cartoon is such a tragedy.

I mean, if nobody knew about The Honeymooners, would life be any different? We'd just get less savvy entertainment and more repetitive jokes, but it's not like we don't get that anyway.

I guarantee that every animator in the business knows about Looney Tunes, yet they still continue to produce crap like The Day My Butt Went Psycho.

I bet that every writer in network television knows about The Honeymooners, but they still keep producing crap sitcoms about the chubby husband in a blue-collar job and his hot redhead wife that makes wisecracks about him.

So if everybody forgets about Looney Tunes or The Honeymooners, I don't think a single thing would be different or worse.
>>
File: 1446570505654.gif (987KB, 500x452px) Image search: [Google]
1446570505654.gif
987KB, 500x452px
>>78168663
>watching fucking Animaniacs for storytelling
I want lorefags to leave.
>>
>>78168312
>>78172996
>>78175722
Are you Fucking retarded. The internet gives you unprecedented acess to human culture of the past, something unheard of in past generations.

I can watch Fucking obscure 1989 filipino dubs of a Transformers show I wouldn't know existed without tfwiki.

/co/ exposed me to classics of comics from the 1920s to today.

I marathoned Spectacular Spider Man on YouTube, years after it was cancelled.

An average person online is a fucking google search away from acess any form of media made in human history.

I read the goddamn Egyptian book of the dead in full color.

The bible in original hebrew

German Fucking dictionaries.

I know, intimately, how Samurai Jack, Star wars clone wars smd EVERY Greg Weisman show was pitched developed and made.

Gargoyls is older than I am, and yet I can recite quotes like Fucking scripture

I can track the total ouvere of Alan Moore, look at Beast Wars episode scripts, see production art from Btas.

I Fucking talked to the guy who animated some random MLK cartoon I watched in kindergarten.

We are at a god damn similarity of acess to the wonders of the world, so take that nostalgic back in my day bullshit to the past were it belongs.

I'm going to go watch Dexter's Rude Removal on my phone, while walking outside, for free.
>>
>>78168410
You don't have any kids, do you, you fat neckbeard.
>>
>>78168312
>Kids these days want the newest, hippest, futuristic thing. They don't have any interest in the past, because that isn't cool

Clearly you know nothing about when boomers were kids. The 50s-60s was an age when futurism and technology were glorified. Nobody except a few old people missed prewar times.
>>
>>78175722
>I know I'll sound like a nostalgiafag or "le wrong generation" person, but it seems that all the television networks stopped giving a shit about vintage animation in 2005

Up to the 90s, it was common to see reruns of TV programming going back to the 50s. I think the reason it disappeared was mostly the DTV/HDTV switch so now you rarely see anything older than the mid-2000s on TV.
>>
>>78167892
Today's kids love Animaniacs, also they need to be teach what real Japanese animation is like anyway, not fake shit like Korra.
>>
I've shown my 10-year old sister this show and she laughs at some segments. Other segments will go completely over her head and she'll want to watch something else

She love Mindy & Buttons
>>
File: IT'S MY FUNCTION.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
IT'S MY FUNCTION.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
I was born during DUH 90'S and I still understand most of the simpler and more dated jokes in cartoons from the 30's and 40's. Even wartime cartoons usually can't get things over my head. I also believe The Brave Little Toaster, with the exception of the "cutting edge" song (which is not bad, just too dependent on the late 1980's style), is close to being a timeless movie.
obviously, some people might not understand the heavy character references to Peter Lorre and Jack Nicholson, but this doesn't necessarily make the characters any less interesting or deep. These celebrities are not referenced by name, and the humor is not reliant on them. It's more of a joke "on the side", with the actual humor usually coming not from references, but from situations like:
>[Entire main cast lost in swamp after accident crossing a river]
>Radio: Things could be worse, you know.
>Lamp: How could the be worse
>Radio: They couldn't; I lied.
This is a lot less funny in raw text, of course. But John Lovitz's completely blunt and immediate retort when he delivers that last line is a fucking knee-slapper. This is also just a single facet of the movie. A large heap of it, as many people say, is pretty melancholy. But it doesn't end with everyone dying horribly or anything. Finally, this involves too many things to fully describe here, but the amount of love that this movie's cast and creative team put into it was very respectable. I'd even go as far to say it was top-of-the-line in the 1980's.
>Big band music played by a full Japanese orchestra
>The animation's in-betweening was done in Vietnam, but the pencil-testers and artists taught these animators like classes, making the quality really show in the end
>John Lovitz was so booked that he could barely get all his voice work in, so he did all of his lines in a record-time marathon while still sounding sincere
>The movie's sound effects are not stock at all. A lot of metal sounds were recorded by tapping things in pawn shops with pencils
>>
>>78176632
Taiwan, not Nam.
>>
>>78176679
Fuck it. I knew there was one thing I forgot to revise.
>>
>>78176688
Yea, Nam mainly does contract work for South Korean studios, this was done in Taiwan by Wang Film Productions (yes that is the name of the studio).
>>
File: Walt Disney host.jpg (93KB, 460x307px) Image search: [Google]
Walt Disney host.jpg
93KB, 460x307px
>>78175886

Kind of this, but it didn't really go away until the early 2000's. I definitely recall Disney and CN airing cartoons as early as the 20's, and late night Disney, Nick, and CN in the 90's played a lot of retro programming. Disney in particular aired old Disney properties and specials, Nick would air daytime TV reruns, and CN would air obscure cold-war era cartoons. Hell, daytime TV outside of those channels still showed stuff like The Lone Ranger pretty regularly. I even remember watching reruns of Lassie as late as 2006.

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Bart has to watch Classic Krusty because he's stuck at home? That actually made a lot of sense when it aired, because they'd actually rerun old programming like that a lot. Definitely caught some old Ed Sullivan when I was sick.

I find it kind of baffling that CN doesn't fill up more of its time with older programming when they have such a huge library to draw from. People argue that rerunning TTG is cheap, but rerunning shows that haven't been in production for decades must surely be cheaper. It'd also be nice to see some Walt Disney theatrical shorts on fucking Disney again.
>>
Referencing peter lorre will never stop being funny
>>
>>78175856
>he internet gives you unprecedented acess to human culture of the past, something unheard of in past generations.
And yet, humans have spend their days trying to outmeme one another on 4chan/reddit/tumblr/facebook.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.