[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Today." I say. "Today's the day I start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 81
Thread images: 17

"Today." I say. "Today's the day I start working on my art. It's never too late." I've done this irregularly since I was fourteen. Now that I'm in college, I have to wonder.. if I actually DO start now, and I become a real artist by the time I'm, say, in my thirties.. would I be too old to get into animation? What if I'm in my forties? Fifties? When's the cutoff date for hiring? I know that the big three networks have an obsession with hiring CalArts grads.
>>
File: sadness.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
sadness.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>78148580
Damn that image hits too close to home.
>>
>>78148580
Talent is overrated, it's who you know. You could be the most talented fucker in the world, if you're not friends or politicking with right people it's meaningless.
>>
If you ask any of the current animators they will tell you no, and that there are some older people they work with.

Even if you are old, if you show that you are willing to adapt and can show that, if you can show you have the grit to work, then it's no problem.
>>
Talent is useless without hard work.
>>
>>78148618
Thanks, CalArts!
>>
>>78148666
I'm operating under the assumption that inborn talent doesn't exist, and that 10-15 years of hard work is what's necessary to become someone who can draw. I'm nineteen right now, so that would mean I'd be able to draw by the time I'm 34.
>>
>>78148685
>10 - 15 years

Far less. 2 to 3 years if you apply yourself.
>>
>>78148709
Yeah actually applying yourself works wonders, getting lazy will make you lose it all though.
But again, networking is probably more important.
Some of the shittiest artists are making tons of money on friends alone.
But I'm sure you're a perfectly sociable individual with no issues making connections.
>>
>>78148771
>But I'm sure you're a perfectly sociable individual with no issues making connections.

Sorry, I can't tell whether this is sarcastic or genuine.

But no, I'm not sociable. I think I'm pretty pathetic to be honest, but people around like me for some reason.

And then there's the fact that I'm not living nowhere near to a profitable animation industry, so the only thing left is online networking. Which isn't any easier. But it I'd argue it requires less work to get your name out if you look for the right platform.
>>
>>78148709
The only artist who I can see go from "zero to hero" is Rebecca Sugar. I know that she was a slightly-above-average fan artist when she was sixteen, then an amazing talent by the time she did Singles, which was.. what, four, five years later? Considering I draw around CWC's level, I say it'd take me a decade.
>>
>>78148909
Yeah, with that attitude. Education also plays a role, but that knowledge should be accessible without tuition or scholarships.
>>
>>78148947
I'm trying to base my predictions based on what I can see, rather than blind optimism, which is why I'm using the one cartoonist whose work from a young age is publicly available. Then again, not just picking myself up and making something is probably why I'm sitting here typing this gunk right now.
>>
>>78148971
Get out of that state.
>>
File: 68882-Crying-Bunny.gif (332KB, 499x399px) Image search: [Google]
68882-Crying-Bunny.gif
332KB, 499x399px
>>78148618
and vice versa
>>
in my 30's working in major studios since I finished school.

animation success depends on....

#1 talent. if you suck you will never find industry work, jobs are limited and grunt work is outsourced now and they hire the locals for that 99%. if you are amazing and have the skills to work (many people just cant work on art full time) that is the most important thing. for animation i would say a lot if it is just natural skills, although you can get better you have to have some kind of skill to build on. I work in 3D for example, but my 2D is not nearly as strong. speed also plays a major part, I have skills but I most likely could never be a supervisor because im not fast enough with my shots. you need to be good and fast at it, and able to change things 10 times if the director wants it.

#2 where you went to school/who you know/ where you worked last. to land something of worth you need to go to one of the top 3 schools, know people (former coworkers or classmates, or have teachers that know people in the industry still) because right now we have too many shitty schools pumping out animators, the market is flooded so you need the leg up. not having a network is a major handicap, you could be amazing but if you are an asshole to classmates or coworkers guess what? you will get passed up on usually. you also cant jump from a shitty job at EA games to pixar, you can go down, but its hard to climb up ti say feature films when you have only gaming exp because your demo reel will be lacking and your skills will be poor.

#3 demo reel. if its garbage you will get ignored. going to a good school and having a good past work exp will help make the reel strong.

also, just a note you see so many calarts industry people because it is a very good school and in CA where the studios all are so its a strong network here. i went to ringling myself tho, i work with a ton of people from there and animation mentor.
>>
>>78148580
Ever read the animators survival kit book? There is a quote in the book that says if you don't know how to draw by now, you'll never make it.

Anon to move ahead in life sometimes you have to give up.

Give up trying to be an artist because the stress and anxiety will consume you. The dillusion that you'll ever make it or start improving your art will make you a wreck.

I'm speaking from experience, from what I've seen friends go through and from myself.

Just give up anon and breath a sigh of relief.
>>
>>78149007
>and vice versa
Yeah.....sure.
>>
If you actually draw multiple hours every day you can become professional quality in probably like three years. Five at most. That's only if you actually do it for multiple hours every day.
>>
>>78149016
Would you kindly point me to the page in question?
>>
>>78148606
What that you're a girl?

Bitch please, you have a penis, you are a guy! A boy! A man! Quit wearing your fedora too tight.
>>
>>78149008
To me, this makes a more independent approach to art forming from a hobby while working another job more attractive.

Which I have, and I'm lucky enough it's only 15 minutes away by streetcar.
>>
>>78149016
>There is a quote in the book that says if you don't know how to draw by now, you'll never make it.
Because my ways will never change, or because I've missed the prime learning period or someshit?
>>
>>78149112
Why do you just assume the quote actually exist or means that seriously?n If someone mentions quotes, ask for the page, and then look for it yourself.
>>
>>78149112
Both actually. Notice how the best artist have been drawing since they were kids none stop. They usually come from upper middle class families.

Age is also a factor, the younger you are the more open and impressionable you are. As you age you lose that ability or rather it's difficult to be that impressionable because well your older now, you have responsibilities and your mind has shifted from carefree to oh shit what's the correct way to do things.

I once heard once you hit your 20's that's when you start losing it.

By age 25, you'll be set in your ways. Past 25 put a fork in it, your done.

Past 25 most people who try art again usually the elders, they go draw but not stuff that impresses studios and toy makers , they paint portraits and fruit bowls and shit. I've seen some incredible old coot's with terrific classical art skills. Skills that put CalArt faggots to shame. But ask them to draw bugs bunny... They draw a stick figure rabbit.

If you've already aged a bit, put aside the thought of making in the industry cuz your time has passed. Even if you were to make it, you'd be the bitch boy doing menial work because you aren't talent, you are done faggot that knows how to push a pencil well that's trying to impress a bunch of yuppies that lived a coddled life.

Start drawing for yourself, if can get an audience that likes your work congrats. If not just... draw for yourself. Im in my late thirties, took me many years tears and suffering to figure this out.
>>
>>78149209
Thanks, I think you just gave me the spite I need to get my shit together.
>>
>>78148580
You can always lose and become a puppet...
>>
>>78149209
Can't confirm this. As impressionable as ever and open.
>>
>>78149241
Hope you have health insurance, mental therapy and the drugs don't come cheap

>>78149282
Congrats , you live a coddled life.
>>
>>78149331
Sounds like you are bitter and jealous. Well, tough.
>>
>>78149346
I agree with this anon.

>>78149209
This anon is a fag. Age is nothing but a number. If you want something bad enough, you can get it. Just apply yourself.
>>
>>78148580
>"Today." I say. "Today's the day I start working on my art. It's never too late."
Well then why didn't you work, shithead? Are you retarded or something?
>>
>>78149467
Because I'm more afraid of failure than anything in existence. I took an Honors-level animation course a few years back, several graduates of which have gone to Ringling and one of which has gone to Pixar. It was divided into sections on Flash and Maya. I got A's and B's consistently in the Flash section, and failed literally every single Maya assignment. I'm still hurting over that. I never want to experience anything like that again.
>>
File: become better.jpg (27KB, 316x277px) Image search: [Google]
become better.jpg
27KB, 316x277px
>>78149532
>Because I'm more afraid of failure than anything in existence
Why haven't you tried bettering yourself so you don't have to fail? All that wasted paper or megabytes of data on your hard drive, those are just symptoms of you being a failure at something. Yeah, you can get rid of them and stop producing new ones but isn't it better to tackle your weaknesses?
Besides, drawing is fun. It's not something that you should treat as a chore, drawing is fucking great even if you're not good at it. Because you will be, even if you don't study, read books, consult - sooner or later your eyes will learn how to see what you want to draw, and your hands will learn to put it on paper. The process of learning is faster with guidance from an accomplished master but every master in the world won't teach you jack if you're going to keep saying "I want to work on myself" instead of fucking working.
>>
File: ameliah.jpg (32KB, 300x225px) Image search: [Google]
ameliah.jpg
32KB, 300x225px
How about instead of whining about trying to be an artist you just fucking be an artist?

I'm 23. I've written 3 manuscripts. The last one was a 420k word door stopper fantasy series that like two people read. I have to split it up into three books and rewrite it from scratch.

I have no goddamn friends or allies, but I have a willingness to work. And while I can't say for sure if I'm any closer to success than I was when I started, I know for a -fact- that my prose is getting better

Just fucking work. If you honestly have a drive to create it will come naturally
>>
>>78148580
Art is overrated tbqh

Go lift instead
>>
File: 220px-Grace_Hopper.jpg (16KB, 220x258px) Image search: [Google]
220px-Grace_Hopper.jpg
16KB, 220x258px
"Faggot.", I say. "OP is a faggot." He's sucked cock regularly since he was fourteen. Now that he's sucking cock in college, I have to ask... if he actually DOES swallow semen now, and become a real buttslut by the time he's, say, in his thirties... would he be too old to get AIDS? What if he's in his fourties? Fifties? What's the cutoff date for HIV? I know that the big three gay bars have an obsession with pozzing
>>
>>78149532
I keep telling you to give up to move ahead in life but noooo.

Faggots here call me bitter and jealous. I say no, I'm glad I quit, I'm an engineer pulling in 3k a week. Without my "bitter" experience I would still be a whiny bitch like you fearing failure.

Sometimes it feels good to be a "bitter" "jealous" failure. Food for thought you faggots. :^)
>>
File: gen urobuchi.jpg (186KB, 1000x926px) Image search: [Google]
gen urobuchi.jpg
186KB, 1000x926px
>>78150916
It's always a STEM guy telling folks to give up on their dreams.

You know what, you're not wrong, Statistically most aspiring artists won't go anywhere with their lives.

But those who do... they're on a whole other level than you, brother. I've seen it happen. Two of my friends wanted to be musicians. One of them gave it up to do something "smart" like STEM, the other stayed with it.

The music guy just recently got signed to Sony Music.

He reunited with the STEM guy at a party, and you could see the abject terror on the STEM guy's face. It wasn't even one slightly off look, it was the look of a man who had just realized he traded his passion for security. He looked like a corpse.

I don't know what to tell you. If you're happy, then I guess you're happy. But I'm always suspect of people that have to go out of their way to tell others they're happy.
>>
>>78149608
>drawing is fun. It's not something that you should treat as a chore, drawing is fucking great even if you're not good at it.
That's not true if everything you attempt comes out looking like garbage.

>>78150611
The comparison isn't the same because literally anyone can right. The school system in every industrialized nation ensures it.
>>
>>78151390
Then keep working so it won't be garbage. Holy shit, how stupid are you?
>>
>>78151390
>The comparison isn't the same because literally anyone can right.

Not you, clearly.
>>
File: aang.jpg (35KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
aang.jpg
35KB, 640x480px
>>78151390
>The comparison isn't the same because literally anyone can right.
But can they wrong?
>>
>>78151390
>literally anyone can right
Alright, so why not try "righting" instead?
>>
All those terrible doodles, OP?

That's you working the suck out of your system so you can get to the good stuff.
>>
>>78151390
>literally anyone can right.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ja0jS_toKxk
>>
The guy who taught me how to draw has worked as a penciller for both Marvel and DC.

He didn't start drawing until he was in his 30s, and then he worked REALLY hard to get good.
>>
>>78149131
>this delusion
>>
>>78148580

Anon, who gives a fuck? Things like age really only matter to people in their 20s. It's your life and you only get to live it once. Better to go for something and fail miserably at it than lay awake at night agonizing over what might have been if you'd had the balls to follow your dreams.
>>
>>78149209
This. I don't even leave the fucking house anymore.

Once you hit 25 you're dead anyway
>>
>>78148580
Damn.
Charlotte got all bitchy after having kids...
Seriously, just because you're anonymous doesn't mean you have to troll on the web.
>>
File: sktc2122.png (2MB, 972x737px) Image search: [Google]
sktc2122.png
2MB, 972x737px
this is how i draw
do i have a chance /co/
>>
File: yatd.gif (34KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
yatd.gif
34KB, 240x240px
>>78153923
this is how i animate
>>
>>78153626
What's this a reference to?
>>
>>78154042
"Charlotte's Web", a book / movie where a spider writes messages in it's spider web to help / save a pig (who is her friend) from being slaughtered. Messages include " Some Pig" and "Terrific".
>>
File: 1447491887834.png (382KB, 993x859px) Image search: [Google]
1447491887834.png
382KB, 993x859px
>>78153923
>tfw what you consider bad is actually the industry's standard right now

You'll go places
>>
>>78154176
https://youtu.be/QH2vwaiEHRY
It was classic, hand drawn animation from '76. Good stuff. The movie's for kids & families though, so not quite "Watership down", but I'd say it's worth a watch.
>>
>>78153923
>>78153937
yeah.
keep going.
>>
>>78148709
This person gets it.

You'd be amazed by how much one can improve if they practice a lot, and if they practice well.

But connections are just as important as your skill level, if not more.
>>
File: 1450031289381.png (158KB, 689x610px) Image search: [Google]
1450031289381.png
158KB, 689x610px
>>78153923
>>78153937
It's perfectly fine, anon. Keep practicing and be open to criticism.
Just make sure your stuff is significant, and separable as an art style.
I can see the inspiration from Home Movies.
Don't give up.
>>
>>78149209
This anon is so full of shit you could use him as fertilizer.
>>
>>78154910
Perhaps he is.

But you have to give him right on the fact that one has to draw for himself before wishing to be a lead animator of a big studio.

If one can't find the time to draw for himself at home (for fun) to give a face to his imagination how can one hope to achieve greatness?

All I am saying is that hobbies become work for a few talented, hard-working lucky guys. If you can't see your income right now, think about an alternative.
>>
>>78153923
hit that keys to drawing and those michael hampton books.
>>
>>78154676
>I can see the inspiration from Home Movies.
my stuff will definitely be retroscripted
>>
>>78149209
>everybody shitting on the only guy talking sense
>"oh u can do it! Jus b urself!" says the random unemployed NEET on 4chan

you all need to grow up
>>
File: kosaka.jpg (27KB, 584x329px) Image search: [Google]
kosaka.jpg
27KB, 584x329px
>>78157105
If he said "Making it as an artist is really fucking hard" I'd agree with him, but he's talking about some nonsense about having to make it before you hit 25.

It's complete bullshit. Maybe if your only goal in life is to have a cartoon on Nick, but if you want to create fiction you have as long as fucking like.
>>
>>78157294
Except that's literally true. Every successful person already has a ton of recognition and awards before their early twenties.

There's also a well-known fact that if you haven't made one million dollars minimum by your twentieth birthday that you never will.

The 18-25 age range is the foundation for your entire life. What happens to you there determines the direction of everything that follows.
>>
File: huh.png (213KB, 960x758px) Image search: [Google]
huh.png
213KB, 960x758px
>>78157432
>There's also a well-known fact that if you haven't made one million dollars minimum by your twentieth birthday that you never will.

As someone with a brother that works at UBS, you're full of shit. Like, completely full of shit.

So unimaginably full of shit.

The prime time for earners is 26-35
>>
>>78157622
Yes, now look at the backgrounds of those people
>>
File: le facist face.jpg (48KB, 710x719px) Image search: [Google]
le facist face.jpg
48KB, 710x719px
>>78157672
Oh, so you're a deterministic mongoloid.

Well, my family background is rich and accomplished, so it's no skin off my back, but you don't win the game if you don't play.
>>
File: Lilly Gardner from Zish.jpg (436KB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Lilly Gardner from Zish.jpg
436KB, 1067x1600px
>>78148580
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMXMoDG_mjQ
>>
>>78153923
Holy if you just took step back for a second you'd realize your terrible ugly fucking drawings( I mean it they are fucking horrible. They fucking suck the fuck are you still drawing for?) look like today's industry standard of perfection.

Just look at shit like Sanjay and Craig, Rick and north, adventure time, Steven Universe, Breadwinners, Harvey beaks.

Holy fuck , the industry is in dire straights I tell you.
>>
>>78157702
>you can do anything through hard work and determination
>btw my family is rich
Were you trying to negate your entire point on purpose?
>>
>>78157432
>There's also a well-known fact that if you haven't made one million dollars minimum by your twentieth birthday that you never will.
This is not a well known fact.
>>
File: 1449996607716.png (136KB, 507x958px) Image search: [Google]
1449996607716.png
136KB, 507x958px
>>78148618

What about writing?

I want to write for cartoons and maybe work with storyboards

if i become friends with the right people gould i become a writer for a cartoon

i haven't really taken drawing seriously and my anamtomy still pretty wonky (pic related is something i drew yesterday, someone wanted to see rob from smash as a tobot girl )

But i have written a bunch of characters and stories, maybe if i show them to the right person one of them could turn into a cartoon

im 19 right now, what do i have to study if i want to become a TV producer?
>>
>>78158119
youre the fourth person (2nd in this thread) so far to call me out on drawing like this to hide the fact i cant draw better
>>
I never understood the need to turn a passion for any kind of art into a career. Anyone can learn a skill that would make for a more secure and fulfilling career. And then, you can just enjoy your passion at leisure for the rest of your life. No pressure.
>>
>>78160080
What skill would result in a secure and fulfilling career? Because I've barely gotten out of bed for over a year and pretty much everything in life seems like a nightmare
>>
>>78160080
But my secure and (somewhat) fulfilling career is sapping all the time and energy I have. I really want to leave my day job and work on what I'm actually passionate about while I'm still not completely dead inside, but it's not so easy if you're in your 30s and need to support yourself (but not anyone else, thank god).
>>
>>78160619
>not being dead inside already
>>
>>78160519
Well there's no easy answer. It depends on so many factors, both personal and impersonal. Somebody closer to you than a stranger would be better to ask.

>>78160619
I'm still a kid. I know that what I'm going into will keep me working all the time. I'm going to hope that I can figure out a way to still enjoy my drawing and writing, whether I have the time or not. Being able to have the energy and to use the time, I'm hoping that will be a skill that I can learn. I'm trying to stay as optimistic as possible while I'm still young.
Thread posts: 81
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.