[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have a question - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: maxresdefault.jpg (266KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
266KB, 1280x720px
So I have a question - The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, the comic book, is supposed to be a continuation of the story and characters from classic fictional literature right?

So, in essence, this is just a highly successful fanfiction with pictures right?
>>
I want to know if this is the only successful fanfiction.
>>
>>78019457
A good amount of comics is fan-fiction. Barks' Duck comics are better than the previous stuff.
>>
Isn't the Archy Sonic comic basically a fanfiction too?
>>
sure, Slott's Spider-Man is fanfiction, Morrison's Batman etc.
>>
You could say that every comic continued by someone who's not the original writer/artist is fan fiction,
>>
The only different between "fan fiction" and "licensed fiction" is that the latter is official and people get paid for it.
>>
The word "fanfiction" gets a bad rep because it's usually written by middleschool to highschoolers who either don't actually know the property they're writing about or don't care to stay true to the characters and settings of the original story.

There are legitimately good fanfiction out there (made official or not) but the age where the majority of fanfiction was at least somewhat credible has long since passed and now you have to dig through a mountain of garbage to find the diamond you seek.
>>
>>78019801
Saban's Power Rangers is sort of licensed fanfiction too. It almost achieves Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game levels of snake eats tail due to the fact it's been dubbed and well received by Super Sentai fans in Japan.

Not that Street Fighter: The Movie: The Game was well received though.
>>
>>78020000
checked
>>
>>78019457
If nothing else, Wicked

For a slightly wider definition of Fanfiction, The Aenid, Paradise Lost, Wide Sargasso Sea, etc.
>>
>>78020174
>Paradise Lost
Does that sort of thing count when technically you can't claim ownership of religion?
>>
>>78020000
Pretty much this. Lazy people have decided to use the word fanfiction to dismiss stuff without really thinking it through. It's one of those terms that's as bad as "Mary Sue" or whatever.
>>
>>78020191
Aren't most of the stuff in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen public domain?
>>
File: philip_jose_farmer_1359741c.jpg (47KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
philip_jose_farmer_1359741c.jpg
47KB, 460x288px
>>78019457
PJF wrote some extensive biographies for already established characters.
>>
File: 1447092626047.gif (26KB, 251x232px) Image search: [Google]
1447092626047.gif
26KB, 251x232px
>>78020000
>the age where the majority of fanfiction was at least somewhat credible
>>
>>78019407

League is an interesting case, as it's not really a "crossover" as much as Moore is treating all fiction as being in the same universe. By Moore's logic, everything is canon. He's less writing a work of crossover fanfic then he's writing his own story that happens to star previously existing characters.

But yeah, it's fanfic.
>>
>>78019457
Fifty Shades of Gray was a Twilight fanfiction that was modified into a standalone book.
>>
>>78020497
It's called the public domain, farn.

And it can encompass "all fiction" except for "any fiction that isn't in the public domain".

...Plus legally-protected parodies, sometimes.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.