[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Black Writers

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 2

File: Priest.jpg (28KB, 250x371px) Image search: [Google]
Priest.jpg
28KB, 250x371px
Are their any Black Comic Writers that you like /co/?

Disregard Hudlin - I've heard bad things about him.

Also, who's your favorite Black Character /co/?

>inby Rambeau or Knight
>>
Everyone shits on Hudlin but I read his first Black Panther story and it wasn't as bad as anyone said. Wakanda is no different than any other futuristic utopia in fiction.

Granted I don't know if it goes to complete shit in later issues. I never liked the Storm pairing anyhow.
>>
>>78005195
>Granted I don't know if it goes to complete shit in later issues.

The real truth to Hudlin's Panther is that it's mediocre and uninspired.
>>
I miss Christopher Priest.
>>
>>78005267
He coming back
>>
>>78005267
He's been writing more Quantum and Woody
>>
>>78004468
I loved Kyle Baker's Plastic Man. It was my first introduction to Plastic Man in comics and it was the first superhero comic that had me laughing out loud.
>>
>>78005267

>A line was cut from my contribution to the recent Deadpool marriage issue because Marvel was concerned black readers might be offended. I assured them black fans would not be offended by the line, but I was overruled. Which troubled me because I was an actual black person assuring them black people really aren’t as thin skinned as they (or the corporate hedgehog above Marvel editorial) may think.

>Black people have a sense of humor. Deadpool, the character, busts on everybody. It was a violation of his character for him to start pulling his punches just because he was talking to a black person.

>Marvel and DC should stop being afraid of letters, afraid of email. The incident struck me as a little silly, that Marvel wasn’t so worried about their black fans as they were perhaps worried about offending the sensibilities of their white fans.

>This is what I mean by a creatively compromised environment. This wouldn’t happen at, say, Milestone. They’d say either the line was funny or it wasn’t, Either ‘Pool was in character or out of character, and that would be the only criteria they would use. Larry Hama, my mentor, taught me that humor involves risk. There was rarely an issue of Crazy Magazine we published without being convinced we would be fired for it.
>>
>>78006658
I love the stories Priest tells about Marvel in the 70's/80's and working with Hama. The fake bank robbery one is probably the best
>>
Not a writer but I really enjoy Rob Guillory's art on Chew. His cartoonish style really makes the book.
>>
>>78004468
>Are their any Black Comic Writers that you like /co/?

Priest, but I really don't bother to get any biographical detail on most writers. It's usually superfluous. The only reason I know anything about most of them is because of the constant funposting about certain writers.

>Also, who's your favorite Black Character /co/?

Andre LeRoux, just for that one line

dat Monica tho
>>
Christopher Priest hands down. That story about Marvel accusing him of staging a coup will forever be rage inducing.

Dwayne McDuffie is GOAT too. They way DC treated him was fucked too.
>>
>>78006800
Link?
>>
I really miss Dwayne McDuffie. He would write good characters if they were black, white, etc.
>>
I never really make note of what race a writer, or any artist for that matter, is. Unless the work is about race itself. Are there any familiar folks that i would be surprised to find out were black?
>>
>>78006968
Geoff Johns is polynesian
>>
>>78004468
Christoper Priest and Dwayne McDuffy are pretty godlike. Anyone will tell you so. Other than that, none have risen into general comic conscious, including mine. Except for Hudlin, but he's not known for being great.
>>
I miss Dwayne McDuffie.
>>
>>78007040
>tfw speak a phonetic language
>read McDuffie as "McDoo-fee"
>>
>>78004468
>Disregard Hudlin
You're a smart man.
>>
>>78006968
I remember being surprised Kyle Baker was black. Though it sure made Birth of Nation with Aaron McGruder make a hell of a lot more sense. But you might have already known he was black.

I thought Christopher Priest was white but that's because I thought he was the same dude as the actually white Christopher Priest.

I didn't know James Tucker was black until a month ago.
>>
Ron Wimberly
>>
>>78004468
>favorite Black Writer
Priest/Baker
>favorite black artist
Guillroy or Baker
>Favorite Black Character
John Henry Irons
>>
>>78007194
Have you read Priest's Steel run? Is it any good?
>>
>>78004468
I don't care if a writer is black, white, purple, green as long as they are good at what they do. Stop making racist threads OP.
>>
>>78007256
don't be a nigger, dude, black writers in the industry tends to be a hilarious and interesting subject. The whole Priest phenomenon where black writers are used as tokens for black characters and then basically told they don't know shit about fhe black audience is fascinating.
>>
>>78007217
I have not but I will find a DL asap, looks tight, with Cowan on art.
>>
>>78007194
>Baker
Did he stop using 3D poser to help him with his art?
>>
>>78007182

Wimberly is funny because Prince of Cats was so good and his art is so vivid, but he's like the most boring person in the world.

His interview with Brandom Graham was the biggest snooze i've heard on a podcast.
>>
>>78007828

He did.
>>
File: 1420659149425.jpg (43KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
1420659149425.jpg
43KB, 480x640px
>>78006658
This needs to be sent to every director Marvel attempts to get for Black Panther.
>>
>>78006996
He's Syrian
>>
>>78008540
I couldn't listen to it, the amount of background noise was terrible.
>>
>>78005195
Hudlin's BP is fine if you've never read a Black Panther story ever. There are people who hate on the book and the character because they're mindless racist assholes and there are people who hate on the book because it needlessly tampered with the Panther's backstory, which had been remarkably consistent since the character's creation.

Suddenly T'Challa had an annoying little sister (here's hoping she stays dead).
Suddenly T'Challa didn't spearhead Wakanda's technological revolution, they'd been this Atlantis-like magical techno-paradise for centuries.
Suddely T'Challa became this globally beloved pop culture figure and a pan-African figurehead, where up until that point Wakanda was more like Japan meets the UAE in how they're viewed by the rest of the world.
BP went from being one of the most intelligently written books to one of the simplest, and Hudlin completely rewrote his character history.

The run was buns, son.
>>
>>78007217
>>78007394
It's okay. DC in the 90's were a weird time.
>>
>>78004468
I like Felipe Smith, I guess.

And there are no black characters I like.
>>
>>78008676
Couldn't be, Trump kicked the Syrians out yesterday.
>>
>>78009957
That's pretty much why I hate it. Don't forget how he changed the Dora Milaje who were fleshed out characters into a female amazonian army that all looked the same and how he wrote Everett Ross was just disgusting
>>
David Walker isn't shit.
>>
McDuffie is a man who approved the creation of the character "Deathwish" and did the second Ben 10 series
>>
>>78006959
> One of my favorite Hama stories was when Ed Davis, a top illustrator and top mercenary, blew into town. We went to lunch, but Hama stopped by the bank on the way. Denys Cowan, Ed and myself took up positions in the bank, near the available exits, and just stood around looking, well, Negro. Larry had no idea what we were doing.

> The bank guard got a little antsy, and went behind the counter, presumably to make a phone call, as Larry finally approached a teller, and presented his pistol permit for identification. This is something Larry always did, to amuse himself more than anything else. Larry usually carried two briefcases. Depending on which one it was, he either had a .45 or an Uzi inside (he was licensed for both).

> When the teller began nervously twitching, Hama turned to tell us he'd be a few minutes longer, and saw we had taken up positions around the bank, and also saw that the bank had, suddenly, become polarized by the three black men and the Japanese man with the very long hair, pistol permit, and briefcase.

> Larry smiled and said, "Stop that." Ed exploded into laughter— scary laughter (Ed was a scary guy), and we three headed outside so Larry could finish up without somebody calling the cops.

> I could write a book of Larry Hama stories, most of which I can't tell until one of us is dead.

http://digitalpriest.com/legacy/comics/adventures/frames/chips2.htm
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.