[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I just watched this with my gf, and it was actually pretty

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 6

File: The_Good_Dinosaur_Promo_Art_03.jpg (262KB, 817x1200px) Image search: [Google]
The_Good_Dinosaur_Promo_Art_03.jpg
262KB, 817x1200px
So I just watched this with my gf, and it was actually pretty great. It's kinda like a boy and his dog meets the prehistoric frontier. When you dismantle it, story wise, it's actually very well told.

Anyone else seen it? What do you guys think?
>>
File: The-Good-Dinosaur-slice-1024x504.jpg (130KB, 1024x504px) Image search: [Google]
The-Good-Dinosaur-slice-1024x504.jpg
130KB, 1024x504px
Saw it last sunday in 3D. The tripping out scene was hilarious. And did you shed any man tears at their parting?
>>
>>77994141
Yeah, I do remember that scene. Was very pleased it got past censorship of anykind. It's that kind of stuff that reminds you that Pixar knows you're watching these with your kids or your gf (with shit taste).

Didn't cry at their parting. I knew it was going to happen. The movie was predictable, but at the same time it was still well told. That scene needed to be there to cement Arlo's character growth.
>>
The bits of mystical aspects were neat, and I could appreciate that it's a secret Western film. The visual storytelling's pretty dang good, but I think the story itself is a bit weak. I think Pixar has a clear weakness when it's trying to tell a story without an explicit antagonist.

It's an all right movie, but I'd actually place it as one of Pixar's weaker efforts. The director should totally do another movie, though. Sanjay's Super Team was pretty dang good, too.
>>
>>77994302
>but I think the story itself is a bit weak

Well, I wasn't blown away by it, but I do think it had everything required for good story telling. It checked all the boxes. Simple, yeah, but still a solid effort.
>>
>>77994024
ugly
dont need to watch it if it's that ugly
>>
>>77994938
Actually it's fucking gorgeous
>>
>>77994340
This.
The story was very basic, but it was still good.
>>
The best character was the environment.
>>
I think the animation was what saved it.

I think the writing was really choppy and you could tell where execs fucked with it, repeatedly changed their minds, etc.

Still good, but it could have been brilliant.
>>
>>77994024

It was okay.

I found myself marveling and drooling over those fantastic photo-realistic shots of the landscapes and ESPECIALLY the water rendering than specifically the characters or story itself.
>>
>>77994302
>I think Pixar has a clear weakness when it's trying to tell a story without an explicit antagonist.

But Inside Out exists and it's great.

But the Good Dinosaur had antagonists.
>>
>>77994024
I liked how relatively chill it was. Not as desperately kinetic as a bunch of recent Disney stuff. The film was smart in how it often let the scenery and music do the talking.
>>
File: the-good-dinosaur-poster.jpg (262KB, 1024x1517px) Image search: [Google]
the-good-dinosaur-poster.jpg
262KB, 1024x1517px
TIME FOR FAN THEORY/HEADCANON

SPOILERS OBVIOUSLY

I enjoy this logo for the film and I kept waiting for its significance to happen in the actual film, but it never did. At first when I saw the dino family "leaving their mark" on the stone silo that it would come back around and use this hand for something, but it did not.

I reasoned that, like with many things, this logo came from a different time in the movie's development before many things were changed and then its significance simply got cut from the final version. As it stands, it's a fine cave-painting-type thing to symbolize a human boy and a dinosaur.

However, I think we can still take something from the movie's big deal out of "making one's mark"; it shows that Spot "left his mark" on Arlo.

It's easy to imagine that the human family at the end would have cave paintings and hand-marks in their home, mirroring the dino marks at the farm, and in a headcanon epilogue Spot might choose to put his hand over a painting of a green dinosaur just because he recognizes it as being like Arlo.
>>
>>77994024
So are the roles switched or something? Is the boy treated as the pet? That's the impression I got from the trailers.
>>
>>77995492
Yes.
>>
>>77995429
I loved this aspect. The kinetic thing applies for a lot of movies made these days, not just cartoons- The Good Dinosaur felt like a movie made half a century ago. It's nice.

The story is pretty played out but it was executed in top form, and did play with the genre conventions quite a bit anyway (a human being cast as the dog in the "boy and his dog" type story makes it quite a bit more interesting).

I'd say the biggest problem Pixar has is that people expect it to literally blow their minds with every film, whereas most of their films, though extremely well made and creative, have also always been rooted in film convention. This is a nice movie, but Pixar's best, and therefore not as good as people want it to be, so people are going to shit on it.
>>
Yes, in this timeline humans are the critters.
>>
>>77995492
Yeah. The film sort of plays with this a bit- the boy's name is literally "Spot", but he is also shown to possess consciousness and intelligence in his own right. In a lot of ways he is played up as a dog, but he is also set apart from that as well.
>>
>>77995488
I think I heard that there was originally going to be a scene with spot and arlo making cave paintings and the logo making an appearance. Another anon mentioned in another thread that spot was also going to discover fire to keep arlo warm during a storm but they cut it so they could do that campfire scene with the trexes.
>>
>>77995593

I would argue that he is literally interchangeable with any cartoon dog.

He's more doglike than Scooby Doo, for instance.
>>
>>77995607
>implying the scene where the older human stands up in the distance isn't a haunting image
>>
>>77995629

Sure, and Spot is also shown to be comforted by the touch of a mother's hand.
>>
File: 1320133257820.jpg (61KB, 498x360px) Image search: [Google]
1320133257820.jpg
61KB, 498x360px
>those T-Rexes moving like riders on horses
>>
It felt cluttered. Like it was moving so fast that none of the characters had time to truly establish themselves. Spot felt almost worthless in my opinion, like it'd have been better if it was just Arlo.
>>
>>77994260
Dork.
>>
>>77994024
I felt it was very by the numbers, and the goof-tastic looking dinosaurs kind of clashed with the scenery. Like, a lot. And detracted from the kind of story they were trying to tell, often enough. The shot where Arlo's dad tells him to run from the flash flood is hilarious.

The more I read about parts and concepts that got cut out because of corporate meddling, the more I am dissatisfied with the final product. It's not a terrible movie (no Pixar film to date has been truly bad), but it really doesn't feel like any real Pixar love was put into it.
>>
>>77994024
Butch, Nash and Ramsey stole the show
>>
>>77995753
>Butch talks to Arlo in authentic frontier gibberish

>>77994024
I really liked it, but I thought more could have been done with the "what if the asteroid missed hook." Like I get that it justifies the dinosaurs being intelligent and the presence of humans, but it's easy to forget that stuff's not just there because "cartoon dinosaurs."

Someone needs to take this idea of a dinosaur western and really run with it.
>>
It was shit
>>
>>77994993
The realistic backgrounds with cartoony dinosaurs looks jarring to me
>>
File: image.jpg (32KB, 600x466px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
32KB, 600x466px
>>77994024
>When you dismantle it, story wise, it's actually very well told
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.