[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The episode was better than the comic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14

File: For_the_Man_Who_Has_Everything.jpg (45KB, 670x373px) Image search: [Google]
For_the_Man_Who_Has_Everything.jpg
45KB, 670x373px
>>
>>77976339
YOU'RE better than the comic.
>>
Be honest, has anyone even read the comic it's based on?
>>
>>77976339

Comic was better, every page and panel was done masterfully, and you get a sense of what Moore was trying to do.

The episode was good, but it was shot like a typical tv show.
>>
>>77976417
Alan Moore preferred the adaptation to the comic. You're wrong on every level.
>>
>>77976379

a few times, there are things the comic does better but the emotional content of the ending is handled great by the series of seeing just how emotional Clark gets in the end
>>
>>77976339
The justice league cartoons are just perfection. it's still better than anything marvel came up with.
>>
>>77976439
>le creator's opinion matters meme
Yeah, and Gibbons thinks the bland garbage recoloring of TKJ is good. Fuck off.
>>
Normally I'd say you're wrong but...yeah, this one was. It simplified things in a way that kept the narrative more focused and allowed for deeper emotional connection, especially on Bruce's end.
>>
>>77976439
Try having your own opinion instead of just parroting what you've read in an interview.

Moore may as well think the adaptation is better. Does not mean I have to agree with him.
>>
>>77976379
The KKK analogue was a nice way of saying "shit son, Krypton ain't perfect". Kinda prefer the show focusing more on how his dream is too perfect, though.
>>
>>77976379
Uh, yeah? I'm sure many here haven't but any actual comic fans definitely have, it's like one of the most basic Superman recs.

I think it's included with my WHttMoT? trade.

>>77976533
Bolland, not Gibbons.
>>
>>77976588
Fuck, my bad. Mixed them up.
>>
>>77976339
One thing that always pissed me off about this ep even as a kid is how Ma and Pa Kent don't even get acknowledged in this ep. Does Sups even care about them after finding out he's an alien or is he too in love with the idea he has of what his biological parents were like?
>>
>>77976379

I have. The main thing I think the episode does better is pacing the story. By condensing it into a half-hour, a lot of the emotional bits hit harder.
>>
File: 1359530825195.jpg (131KB, 865x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1359530825195.jpg
131KB, 865x1600px
>have a dream where I have gf and a baby
>just hanging around the house and stuff
>suddenly realize its a dream
>starting to wake up
>grab onto them and try to not wake up, everybody is crying
>wake up with tears in my eyes
>tfw I know Superman's feels
>>
>>77977885
Jor-El's voice turns into Pa Kent's for a moment and Superman is like wtf
>>
File: 1297146447376.jpg (282KB, 1024x1632px) Image search: [Google]
1297146447376.jpg
282KB, 1024x1632px
All of DCAU is better than the comics.

The comics are a clusterfuck of continuity retcons, inconsistent writers, "event stories," mary sue power level wanking, and endless resurrections.

The animated universe has consistent characters, a good quality level of writing throughout, and single solid narrative.

It's no wonder that the general audience reference the DCAU versions as their benchmark for DC characters.
>>
>>77977885
You have to remember that the Black Mercy gives them whatever their heart desires. For Clark that's not to be so alone in the world, so of course it manifests as him on krypton. But you see that Clark also doesn't desire to be a nobody, he wants a family, he wants to be a good person. So the Mercy gives Clark a vision of him being a good man in a place he's truly accepted. Ma and Pa Kent may love him, but he will always be fundamentally different from them and that's something that Clark struggles with every day.
>>
>>77977967
someone WILL fall for this
>>
>>77977967
>"One day the world will be free of guns or the world will be no more...Father I shall become the gun"
>>
>"Happy birthday, Kryptonian. I give you oblivion"
>"BURN!"
One of my favorite moments in the entire series.
>>
File: CleanThoughts.jpg (325KB, 966x936px) Image search: [Google]
CleanThoughts.jpg
325KB, 966x936px
The adaptation doesn't have this scene, so it's automatically inferior.
>>
>>77978399
Is Alan Moore the greatest comic writer ever?
>>
>>77976339
Who the fuck knew that emotional scenes tend to be more emotional when they have sad music and acting.
>>
To be honest, the comic life on Krypton is pretty shitty, not giving Clark incentive to stay.
>>
I don't know how you could think this. Both Clark and Bruce's black mercy dreams were much better done in the comic. You actually understood the pull of the planet. Both of them were completely watered down for the cartoon.

It was a good episode, but I don't see how someone could think it was better unless you just prefer cartoons to comics.
>>
>>77978506
pull of the plant*

Fuck I can't type
>>
File: oblivion.jpg (84KB, 529x424px) Image search: [Google]
oblivion.jpg
84KB, 529x424px
>>77976379
It's a one-shot comic featuring Batman, Superman and Wonder Woman by the duo responsible for Watchmen. Of course people have read it ya daft cunt.
>>
>>77978557
I only asked because the comic is so obviously superior.
>>
>>77976379
It's on Supes reading list and only 1 issue.

I also feel the comic captures Clarks anger better.
>>
>>77976339
This is probably bait but I agree.
The comic is really, really good though, and I didn't dislike the radical political stuff that was going on.
>>
The episode was definitely a great adaptation. George Newbern channeled emotion consistently well throughout all of his appearances as Superman, and this episode was basically a highlight reel for that sort of thing. I'd say it's almost interchangeable with the comicbook.
>>
>>77976339
No, not even close.
>>
>>77976439
I can't believe Moore actually liked an adaptation, incredible.
>>
>>77976379
Yes.
I think the adaption suffers from the absence of Robin. I really like it anyway, though.
>>
>>77979533

Didn't he also like the adaptation of "Mogo doesn't socialize" story in Green Lantern Emerald Knights movie?
>>
Superman doesn't scream Mongul's name in the episode does he?
>>
File: MONGUL.jpg (429KB, 1000x1473px) Image search: [Google]
MONGUL.jpg
429KB, 1000x1473px
>>77976379
Once, Robin saving the day really added to it, should've been in the show version.
>>
>>77979853

Nope, once he comes to his senses he immediately flies off to face him. IIRC he just angrily mutters his name when he wakes up.
>>
Are there any other comic adaptation episodes better than the source material?

My vote goes to pic related.
>>
>>77979890

Wasn't Robin under the Bat-embargo since Teen Titans was airing around the same time?
>>
>>77979533
>>77979794
He also liked Saturday Morning Watchmen.
>>
>>77979182
>I'd say it's almost interchangeable with the comicbook.

To it's credit, it's the only animated adaptation of one of his works that Alan Moore said he doesn't hate.
>>
File: Slade-and-Terra-teen-titans.jpg (17KB, 500x397px) Image search: [Google]
Slade-and-Terra-teen-titans.jpg
17KB, 500x397px
>>77979917
Yes
>>
>>77979890
Robin is shit.
>>
>>77979936
Yes and even then Jason was never part of the DCAU.
>>
>>77980004
Why did people have a problem with TT only calling him Slade?
>>
>>77979890
Any major Batman character that wasn't Batman himself couldn't be on the show iirc due to The Batman airing around the same time JLU started wrapping up.
>>
>>77980034
*tip*
>>
>>77979963
It had a very solid, consistent tone and tried to focus (and even elevate) what Moore was going for. I could totally see it.
>>
File: Hmmrm.jpg (27KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
Hmmrm.jpg
27KB, 852x480px
>>77977967

I somewhat agree with this. The DCAU when taken AS A WHOLE is arguably better than the comics when taken AS A WHOLE, in that it is infinitely more cohesive. But there are individual stories or arcs that manage to top even the best episodes or arcs from the various animated series.
>>
A few weeks ago someone did a fantastic story-time and analysis of the comic, page by page, explaining all the little details and paralells in storytelling that the TV adaptation lost

Also, it was the only story where Jason Todd was useful
>>
File: hurm.png (273KB, 303x473px) Image search: [Google]
hurm.png
273KB, 303x473px
>>77980347
>Hmmm.jpg
>Not Hurm.jpg

One job.
>>
>>77980459

You missed an r.
>>
>>77980085
I might be biased since the cartoon was my introduction to the character, but I've always thought Slade was way better.
>>
>>77980509
no
>>
>Burn
Doesn't quite have the same impact as it did in the comic and if George Newbern can't deliver that line with all the weight and significance it had in the comic no one can.

OP is clearly on drugs.
>>
I have to agree to be honest. Granted it might be because I saw the show first before reading the comic it was based on, but I prefer the adaptation.
>>
>>77978399
I dont get it
>>
>>77976379
Dude, its one of the most iconic Superman stories up there with "What Ever Happened To the Man of Tomorrow?"
>>
>>77981428
"You two"
She was talking about Jason, and his Boner.
>>
>>77976339
>happy
>>
>>77980509
I think you missed the R. The font makes Rs before Ms blend in

rm
>>
>>77981937
Maybe she meant something else when she said "you look so much like dick"
>>
>>77976379
It was storytimed' here a while ago.
>>
Is the thing about alan moore liking the episode even real?
I can't seem to find the interview.
>>
>>77976379
I haven't, but I have read plenty deep into Moore's bibliography like Shadowplay, A Small Killing or The Bowing Machine. So I'm not exactly ashamed to have not read this or say, his Green Lantern stories.
>>
File: patlaugh.gif (326KB, 400x302px) Image search: [Google]
patlaugh.gif
326KB, 400x302px
>>77977943
>>
Under the Red Hood's confrontation scene was better than the comic
>>
>>77983107
http://jl.toonzone.net/episode27/episode27.htm
>>
>>77983505
>lesser known=better
>flaunting ignorance of the board's (and thread's) topic

You're a walking meme.
>>
>>77976379
dude it's been posted here like every few weeks for years
>>
>>77977943
It happened to me, but after finding a huge treasure. As soon as I realized what was happening, all I could do is watch helplessly over it as it and the journey's memories vanished in the morning sun.
>>
>>77979917
Man, re watching that whole series was great. I don't like to think that this will be the best TMNT but it might be.
>>
>>77984639
I didn't say they're better. That's very defensive of you to jump at that. How would I even know they're better than stuff I haven't read?

I was just saying I'm not ashamed for having not read it despite numerous people in the thread making it out to be some mandatory read is all.
>>
>>77985129
If you call yourself a comic fan, then it is a mandatory read.
>>
>>77979963

I know Gibbons did, but I've yet to see any proof to back up the claims that Moore did.
>>
>>77979968
Apparently, he enjoyed HappyHarry's Saturday Morning Watchmen short as well, but that may be apocryphal.
>>
>>77980826
It sounded like he only got to do one take.
>>
>>77983107
I know he let his name be put in the credits unlike every other adaptation
>>
>>77985129

If you're interested in Superman's character then this is absolutely a mandatory read.
>>
>>77978170
I hate that he yells "Burn!" instead of calmly saying it almost under his breath. In the comic, you get a sense that Superman has hit that next level of pissed where your emotions die.
>>
>>77980085
Slade from Teen Titans was incredibly lame compared to the mercenary Deathstroke. Fuck him and his robot army he had no some inexplicable reason, the only thing cool about him was Perlman.
>>
>>77977885
I'd think their involvement would undermine the nice consistent illusion.
>>
File: 04-theinnerlight-0-r.jpg (308KB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
04-theinnerlight-0-r.jpg
308KB, 1440x1080px
>>
>>77991139
what comic
>>
>>77977967
Man that whole story was rediculous
>Guns are evil and the cause of the world's problems
>So how are we saving the day?
>WITH A BIG FUCKING GUN OF COURSE
>>
>>77991206
i was just trying to be witty and noting similarity in this episode and Moore's story
>>
>>77984580
>And it was Dwayne [McDuffie] who said that the best big three story of all time was ‘For the Man Who Has Everything.’

B A S E D
A
S
E
D
>>
>>77977885
I thought the Kents were mentioned, and that Jor-El was humiliated because he was wrong about Krypton's destruction but still shot his son to an alien planet.
>>
>>77986593
Calmly saying it under his breath conveys that he's fucking pissed more than yelling it?
>>
>>77991555
You've never hit that next level, have you? I envy you.
>>
>>77991705
I'm sorry, what?
>>
>>77991555
In this instance, yes, I'd say so. Remember we already got
>M O N G U L
here >>77979890
(which is cool as fuck)
>>
>>77991217
The only thing that can free the world from the evil of guns is bigger guns!
>>
File: louie louie louir.jpg (41KB, 400x422px) Image search: [Google]
louie louie louir.jpg
41KB, 400x422px
>>77977943
>Have dream where I meet a lovely girl
>She's modestly pretty and we hit it off real well
>Nothing even really happens, she just kinda puts her arm around me and we have a nice conversation under the moonlight
>I've never seen this girl before, but feel like I've known her all my life
>Feel utterly comfortable with myself and my life for the first time in forever
>It's just a nice, simple, peaceful feeling, knowing that hope isn't dead and I'm not completely undeserving of companionship
>Wake up
>mfw
>Lie in bed staring at the ceiling in silence for close to ten minutes, contemplating what just happened to me
>It's been months and I just remembered I had this dream
>But I can't for the life of me remember her face or what we talked about
>Just that I was happy
>Haven't had another dream like it since
I mean, that's good, I suppose, considering I've been hitting the gym and working on my self-esteem in the meanwhile, but fuck man, what a way to start the day.
>>
>>77978557
This picture literally never fails at making me smile.
>>
>>77986593
Okay you said what I >>77980826 was trying to in less words. It was really disappointing just like the ASS animated adaption.
>>
>>77991705
There's anger
then there's extreme anger
and then there's the silent white hot anger that you feel when every other emotion has fled your body, you calmly embrace this anger

and then there's full on anger that makes you act like a dumb idiot, it blinds you, and if you fuck up, people laugh and post videos of you on youtube

but that "next level" isn't even the final level
>>
>>77977967
>something that lasted for a little over a decade is more consistent and coherent than 70 years of comics

You don't fucking say? (I know its bait but there could be someone dumb enough to agree with this post
>>
>>77993221
Imagine if Superman held Mogul down on the ground by the neck and said Burn then. Would have completely changed the comic but from the level of anger you're describing I'd half expect it.
>>
>>77977943
>have dream where I'm late for something and I fucked up and everyone's mad at me
>no other kinds of dreams, just variations on this bullshit

I wish I could dream about being happy for once.
>>
>>77993100
She's out there anon. Go find her
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.