[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /co/ think of Grant Morrison's bat epic as a whole?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 80
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (444KB, 1386x2116px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
444KB, 1386x2116px
What does /co/ think of Grant Morrison's bat epic as a whole?
From Son of the Batman to Batman Inc.

Should I read it?
>>
>>77948492
>What does /co/ think of Grant Morrison's bat epic as a whole?

There's more than one person on /co/, some like it, some don't, same as everything else.

>Should I read it?

If you want to read it, go for it. If you don't, then don't. Can't you make your own decisions?
>>
>>77948634
terrible post.

/co/ for discussion you dummy.
>>
Anon if you accept that at one point Batman was having crazy Sci-Fi adventures and want to experience some of them, then go right ahead. But if you just like your batman super serious and Frank Millery than you probably won't like it.

Does a time traveling spy organization running Batman sound interesting to you? If so read it, if not, oh well I'll just have to enjoy it for the both of us.
>>
>>77948764
OP here, I love Final Crisis, along with Animal Man and everything else GM has written besides JLA which was mediocre.
Is his Batman run as good as his Animal Man run in your opinion?
>>
>>77948721
OP can't exacty discuss something he hasn't read, this is a rec thread.

>>77948815
Are you really going to avoid something you may love, by a writer whose work you enjoy, if an anon tells you it's not worth reading?
>>
>>77948881
jfc man, I just like hearing people's opinions.
I've already got The Black Casebook abd Batman and Son in the mail, if you MUST know.
>>
I liked it. I liked Damian. I liked it when Dick became the Bat. I fucking liked Batman Inc.

So to answer your question, yes anon I would recommend Grant Morrison Batman. I think it's one of the best, if not the best, Batman run.
>>
>>77949124
thanks m8
>>
>>77948492

It's one of the medium's greatest runs. It's extraordinary. At once deep and nuanced as well as visceral and fun issue to issue. Morrison took the character and mythos into bold, sustainable new directions while effortlessly and often recognizing the past. Best Joker.
>>
You have to read every Batman story up to that point and some other stuff to really get anything out of it.
>>
>>77948815
If you like his other work, you'll like his Batman. It's very Grant Morrison-y, if that makes sense.

He basically approached the character with the assumption that every iteration of Batman is real and valid.
>>
>>77948492

Do you like Grant Morrison's work?

Do you like Batman?
>>
>>77949537
Second question isn't relevant. I don't really like Batman but I liked Morrison's run.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (52KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
52KB, 1280x720px
>>77949596

Why would you ask if you should read it when you already did?
>>
>>77949404
Yeah, all those allusions to Hush, War Games, Fugitive, The Many Deaths of Batman and Julie Madison really knocked me out of the park.
>>
>>77948492
I hated it just because it signaled the end of Paul Dini's awesome run on Detective Comics as self-contained mysteries.
>>
File: where do you think you are.jpg (122KB, 510x755px) Image search: [Google]
where do you think you are.jpg
122KB, 510x755px
>>77948634
>>
The ending was shit, I don't care if it's metacommentary.
>>
>>77949647
I'm not OP, just saying that your questions are flawed
>>
>>77949728
>>77949404
You don't have to read all other Batman runs, it just makes the whole thing more enjoyable.

It is highly enjoyable on its own though.
>>
File: 3467.jpg (19KB, 400x600px) Image search: [Google]
3467.jpg
19KB, 400x600px
It's one of the greatest cape runs in history but it can be a bit challenging and a lot of it relies on your state of mind. If it's like your third Bat comic and you still haven't outgrown Miller and have retarded ideas about what Batman "should" or "shouldn't" be then you'll probably hate it. If you have an appreciation for cape comics as an ever changing medium and can handle a bit of history and post modernism you'll love it.
>>
>>77949820

If you are not OP, then why did you answer questions meant for him?
>>
The Bat Epic is the best long run on Batman ever.
>>
>>77949969
I merely criticized the question while providing an example of why it was bad. I didn't answer it.
>>
File: FinalCrisis.jpg (15KB, 235x346px) Image search: [Google]
FinalCrisis.jpg
15KB, 235x346px
Do you think that reading Final Crisis is essential to reading Morrison's Bat run, or just getting the cliffnotes from online/Time And The Batman enough?
>>
>>77948492
>Should I read it?
Yes, it's amazing.
>>77949404
This isn't true. You can just start with Batman and Son.

It helps to MAYBE have read 52 and have an awareness of the Bat-dickhead stuff that began around Identity Crisis.
>>
>>77951674

My questions were bad, so you answered them? I asked OP if he liked morrison and if he liked batman. The questions had no bearing on whether or not he should read the books, i would advise yes regardless. My intent was simply to engage in a conversation with OP. It would seem that your judgement of my simple questions is a result you having some sort of axe to grind. Care to elaborate?
>>
>>77951755
You have to read The Butler Did It and Last Rites but can skip FC if you read RIP: The Missing Chapter. It just means stuff is slightly out of order, but it's Morrison anyway.
>>
>>77951755

Pretty much the point of Time and the Batman is to help you out if you missed FC but I'd recommend FC just because Darkseid is a HUGE player in the Bat epic but he never really shows up outside of a vague presence unless you read FC.
>>
File: Batman #702 p17.jpg (561KB, 1280x2008px) Image search: [Google]
Batman #702 p17.jpg
561KB, 1280x2008px
>>77951879
>he never really shows up outside of a vague presence unless you read FC
>>
File: Batman #702 p18.jpg (558KB, 1280x1994px) Image search: [Google]
Batman #702 p18.jpg
558KB, 1280x1994px
>>77952080
>>
>>77948815
Hrmm Well if you loved Final Crisis you should be cool with his Batman run. Comparing it to Animal Man,....they are different stories by miles and miles, but yeah I would say it's that good.
>>
File: Batman #702 p19.jpg (999KB, 2560x1942px) Image search: [Google]
Batman #702 p19.jpg
999KB, 2560x1942px
>>77952099
>>
File: Batman #702 p20.jpg (468KB, 1280x1996px) Image search: [Google]
Batman #702 p20.jpg
468KB, 1280x1996px
>>77952112
>>
File: Batman #702 p21.jpg (492KB, 1280x1961px) Image search: [Google]
Batman #702 p21.jpg
492KB, 1280x1961px
>>77952127
>>
File: Return of Bruce Wayne #6 027-28.jpg (835KB, 2560x1961px) Image search: [Google]
Return of Bruce Wayne #6 027-28.jpg
835KB, 2560x1961px
>>77952145
And of course the emptiness shaped like God.
>>
It's really good, will probably be the defining run on Batman for a good while.
>>
>>77951844
>Care to elaborate?

It's simple really. I assumed you were asking the questions because you thought they would help him decide, not because you wanted to partake in random chatter with OP. Carry on senpai.
>>
>>77951879
Would you say it's better one way or the other?
>>
>>77952361

Better to read it with Final Crisis for sure.

The real issue is that Final Crisis is even more dense than the Bat epic and plays off of a lot of stuff in Kirby's Fourth World, the different Crisis series, and Morrison's Seven Soldiers and JLA.
>>
>>77948492
I am currently on Batman Inc. It's a fun read but there is a lot to go through if you want every single point of the story. It has cost me a lot of money. But the journey so far has been great. RIP and Final Crisis were solid. The Dickbats series and RoBW were brilliant. My only problem is at least three of my trades were just tie ins that were necessary and the fact that the books sometime defy chronology e.g. having to keep reading two issues of B&R then RoBW then switching back again.
>>
>>77951755
Yes. I hated the dumbed down 3 page version in Time and the Batman.
>>
>>77948492
Well you're starting off wrong. You gotta read The aBlack Casebook first. Also recommend Yost Red Robin and The Black Mirror peppered in there. Resurrection of Ras Al Ghul is optional.

It's great I own it all in physical format.
>>
>>77949057
Why are you Americans so emasculated?
>>
>>77953404
Because I was raised by my insane mother, if you MUST know :^)
>>77953402
>black casebook
see
>>77949057
>>
It's the best batman run of all time and is required comics reading.

Be sure to carefully consider each line of dialogue and each panel without skimming. Many aspects of the storytelling aren't going to be spoonfed to you, and you're expected to be able to put 2 and 2 together.

Final Crisis isn't mandatory if you read 'time and the batman,' but considering it's one of the best, if not the best DC events I would read it anyways.
>>
It's one of the best runs in all of comics. Grant wanted to encompass everything about Batman and did so in a sprawling six year epic. Grant loved doing it as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fut9DHWzi50
>>
Batman and Robin is probably my favorite book ever. Absolutely phenomenal run on the character and imo Morrison's best work.
>>
I'm just really fucking pissed about DC killing Dickbats ideas for the new 52. Wasn't Court of Owls supposed to be a continuation off of Black Mirror with Dick still as Batman? Instead we got some dumbass, boring impersonal brother shit instead of giving Dick's first real, definitive group of adversaries (Aside from Deathstroke etc.).
>>
Is there ever going to be a Bat book better than his Batman and Robin?
>>
>>77955700

No. Quality doesn't sell movie tickets.
>>
File: scottsnyder.png (16KB, 715x246px) Image search: [Google]
scottsnyder.png
16KB, 715x246px
>>77954881
>Wasn't Court of Owls supposed to be a continuation off of Black Mirror with Dick still as Batman?
>>
8.5 or 9 out of 10. Really loved Dick and Damien. It got a tad bit too pretentious at times (the Oberon Sexton/Dominoes stuff for example) but overall I think Morrison has a real talent for writing Batman.

Loses points for the "practicing on melons so I can shoot you in the head but not kill you" and Batman Inc - which a lot of people liked but not I.
>>
File: 425.png (155KB, 320x263px) Image search: [Google]
425.png
155KB, 320x263px
If there's a flaw it's that a lot of the second half feels really compressed which it probably due to upcoming reboot editor fuckery or may just be Morrison being Morrison.

This nigga for example seems like he's supposed to have an entire series about him but he just randomly pops up and is dead but isn't dead but is dead but isn't and I have no idea what the fuck he's about.
>>
>>77956580
He just appeared In Grayson so hopefully they'll do something neat with him
>>
As a whole? It's a stupid mess. Lovable at times, maybe lovable as a whole, but it's certainly a mess. I don't necessarily mean that as an insult. It depends on how you like your Batman. It's not an unintelligent run.

Whether or not it being a stupid mess is a fault or an asset is up to your tastes. I liked some parts of it a lot. It's ham-handed in how it attains its aspirations, but at least it has aspirations. That's more than you can say about most comics.
>>
>>77949814
This
>>
What if I like Dickbats but hate Damian? Should I still read it?
>>
>>77948492
If you're a Grant Morrison fan it's great
If you're a Batman fan it's shit
>>
>>77956931
Damian is best with Dickbats.
>>
>>77956931
The only time I really felt Damian ever worked as a character was with Dickbats. He's a pointless and worthless addition to an already-too-big Batfamily otherwise.

So yes. Batman & Robin is arguably the best part of his Batman run.
>>
>>77956580
>This nigga for example seems like he's supposed to have an entire series about him
Read Grayson.
>>
bane
>>
How come Morrison never referenced Alan Scott in any of his run? He was one of Gothams original guardians as well but he never seems to bring him up.
>>
I really liked Batman & Robin, are there any other recomendations with Bruce/Dick/Jason/Tim that are as good?
>>
>>77959678
>Alan Scott is now a faggot
Jesus wept
>>
>>77948492
Dickbats is one of the best runs of Batman, and on the whole, Morrison's run is pretty fucking good. It definitely misses som beats but Dickbats is not one of them
>>
>>77959713
Who cares, E2 is gonna get rebooted after Abnett finishes up to issue 12.
He'll probably still be gay after the reboot tho Not that I mind ;^)
>>
>>77956931
How can you really say you like Dickbats if you haven't read Morrison? Have you just read Black Mirror? Damian really only works with Dick anyway.
>>
>>77959706
Black Mirror is good Dickbats and Snyder's only competent Batman story, if you haven't read that already.
>>
>>77951771
Just because you can follow the events doesn't mean you really truely understand the work. When it comes down to it you just really aren't going to get as much out of it without some serious knowledge about Batman's history.
>>
>>77948634
He's asking for individual's opinions, preferably those who've read it all, you bell end.
>>
>>77960176
Reccomended ESSENTIAL prereading that will improve my understanding of his arc?
I'm geniunely interested.
>>
>>77960243
>his arc
*his run
>>
>>77960243
bump
>>
File: batepic reading list.png (489KB, 1008x1836px) Image search: [Google]
batepic reading list.png
489KB, 1008x1836px
>>77960243
can't remember if this is the final version or not
>>
>>77959803
Morrison isn't the first person to use Dick Grayson as Batman.
>>
>>77963328
Yes but Morrison used him better
>>
>>77963328
Dick's tenure as Batman before Morrison is completely negligible, sorry.
Thread posts: 80
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.