[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

RYAN COOGLER IN TALKS FOR "BLACK PANTHER"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 3

File: Meow.jpg (146KB, 459x612px) Image search: [Google]
Meow.jpg
146KB, 459x612px
Ryan Coogler ("Fruitvale Station", "Creed") is reportedly in talks to direct BLACK PANTHER for Marvel Studios. He had already been linked to the past, but a report from Latino Review claimed he had declined on the project, which doesn't seem to be the case after all. Chadwick Boseman, Andy Serkis and Martin Freeman are already confirmed for the movie, which opens on February 16, 2018.

http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/JoshWildingNewsAndReviews/news/?a=127645
>>
>>77945375
He's black, isn't he? Letting a honky direct a black superhero would be so racist!
>>
>>77945375
I feel like he can do better.
>>
>>77945375
This fucka rejected it at first. Did marvel increase his paycheck?
>>
>>77945422
Apparently, he never rejected it.
>>
I'm not okay with this. I think he's a very visual director, good at bringing emotion to scenes without it seeming forced through writing, but there's probably been a reason every other director has said no, so Feige's trying to scoop up a director that's not even 30 years old to scapegoat.
>>
>>77945624
>but there's probably been a reason every other director has said no,
I'm going to go out on a limb and say the portrayal of Africa is insensitive.
>>
>>77945624

>but there's probably been a reason every other director has said no

F Gary Gray turned it down to do Fast 8 and Ava DuVournay went to the meetings specifically to turn it don and pander to her fanbase about how she isn't going to be constrained by big mean Disney because she's a serious artist you guys. Her dog-and-pony show about turning down Black Panther was one of the most calculated public rejections I've seen in years.

After that it becomes the fun part of trying to find one of the other 3 black directors who do big-boy studio works, which basically consists of Antoine Fuqua(only does R-rated these days) and the Hughes Brothers(presumably still trapped in the nightmare loop of the live-action Akira movie).

Turns out you don't have that many options unless you want to go obscure, but after all the backlash towards Thor 2 they're probably going to want to court some higher-name directors then going for TV guys.

Coogler is a godsend for them, and now he gets to decide between Cyborg or Black Panther. After Creed's smash success, the guy could go either way with serious clout and weight behind him.
>>
>>77945624
>Two people is "Every other director"

By that definition, THE WINTER SOLDIER would've been DOOMED.
>>
So happy for Coogler
>>
>>77945768
Coogler hasn't been offered CYBORG, though. The movie might not even come out.
>>
>>77945768
Their batting average for non-studio film directors scored with Whedon, James Gunn, and the Russos so far, far outweighs whatever happened with Thor 2, so I doubt that's the case.
>>
>>77945873

Whedon and Gunn at least directed movies people have heard of. Alan Taylor has always been and will always be a literally who, outside of Palookaville I can't name a single other pre-Thor 2 movie he did.

Russos are a fair point, and the guy who's doing Spider-Man has directed exactly one thing of note and it was released THIS YEAR, so he seems pretty green too.
>>
>>77945624
Which director beside Ava said no?
>>
>>77946096

F Gary Gray. He's doing Fast 8 instead.
>>
Id rather he take on Cyborg, it fits his previous work more
>>
>>77945922

Taylor's a tv guy.

I wonder if they tried to get Neil Marshall or if that's too obvious
>>
>>77946192

>Neil Marshall
>doing PG-13

Nope. I love the man but he's R-rated or bust, same thing with Antoine Fuqua.
>>
>>77945768
>(presumably still trapped in the nightmare loop of the live-action Akira movie).

Jesus Christ Hollywood let it go. Please let the Ghost in the Shell movie fail so we can be free of Hollywood live action remakes of anime.
>>
>>77946181
Eh... Only superficially.

And he's never been attached anyway.
>>
>>77945375
>Fruitvale Station: legit robbed of an Oscar nod
>Creed: breddy good
I would see this.
>>
>>77946432
I want to see them do it, but I want to see them get the fuck out of the way of some visionary director to get it done. Though, desu, we've already several of the big series shadow-adapted.

>Akira = Chronicle
>GitS = Matrix
>Evangelion = Pacific Rim
>Perfect Blue = Black Swan

And so on. It's pretty obvious at this point that Hollywood wants the basic concepts that apparently no American writer is creative or original enough to come up with his or herself, but they're not at all confident that these stories can be adapted directly. Which is a farce, because they can be.
>>
>>77946634
>but they're not at all confident that these stories can be adapted directly.

I'd say that a lot of them are hard because they're so Japanese. Things like say Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist ect. are all very "Western". But the ones you mentioned I think make for harder adaptations especially with the mindset that they need to "Americanize" them. Just look at the concept art for the proposed Eva movie and tell me you don't cringe. Like you can't change "Neo-Toyko" to..."Neo-New York" or whatever the leaked script for the Akira movie called it.
>>
The irony in that is that they were pushing for a black director (even against some controversy), and if this deal does come through, it may end up being one of the best choices for the position regardless of his colour, since Creed is very much about legacy and very little about American black struggle. It fits the prince of Wakanda much much better, since he is supposed to be full African, not African American, so the color politics in the selecting process end up being a moot point.

Good for both of them, especially considering that Coogler is pretty decent at visually showing story. I actually can't think of anyone else that fits the requisites.
>>
>>77946736
2bh fizzam, I'm sick of Americans being unreceptive to foreign work. And it's not like we're always this way. People fucking LOVED Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon back in the day. And Kill Bill Vol. 1 did much better than 2, and I'll let you guess which was more "Japanese." But it's true that, generally-speaking, we've got a problem with out cultural xenophobia. And it's a shame because, if you look at that list, you see that every time we get close we turn out something spectacular but not-quite-classic.

>FMA
BTW why hasn't this been adapted yet?
>>
>>77946855
>BTW why hasn't this been adapted yet?

I...actually have no idea. It's one of those weird things, like the fact we're getting a Naruto live action movie before a One Piece one which would be easier to adapt.
>>
>>77945860
>The movie might not even come out.
There was rumours that Warner are considering retooling Cyborg in to a Titans movie.
>>
>>77946912
That seems cool, most of their powers are pretty interesting.
Would they carry around the corpse of Robin?
>>
>>77946946
Jason Todd is the Joker, so either Tim or Damian would be Robin.
>>
>>77946974
The guy playing Cyborg will be about 32 when his movie comes out, they might just skip them being teenagers and have Dick as Nightwing instead.
>>
>>77947087
>>77946946
Thirties Titans
>>
>>77945375
He's a perfect fit.
>>
>>77945375
Who will he bring Michael B Jordan to play?
>>
>>77947852
Shuri
>>
>>77946736
Well you can. Akira was all about how fucked up post war Japan generation was, thus it's use of Hiroshima call backs.

For actual adaptation, you need to find an appropriate analog to the culture you are adapting too. Turning Mushroom cloud fetishism into 911 fetishism was the right move.
>>
>>77945829
for big name black guys it is
>>
Meow.
>>
>>77946634

>GitS = Matrix

That was basically The Invisibles.
>>
We as a society need this to be spike lee's next joint
>>
Are you people seriously being negative about this? Ryan has made two actual, good, respectable movies, he has no business doing MCU shit and joining that bunch of D-list Hollywood schlock and TV directors..
>>
>>77948691
He should turn them down and wait for Fox or WB to give him a shot. Seriously.
>>
>>77949449
>Trading a sure thing with good background for a shot in the dark with poor / inconsistent background

Nice business decision, bro.
>>
>>77948691

He's far more likely to do Cyborg. Creed and fruitvale were WB.
>>
>>77945624
>but there's probably been a reason every other director has said no
Because they understand that "directing" a Marvel Studios movie involves little actual creative input, and that they were just sought out for "We've got a black director!" PR rather than their skill.
>>
>>77945768
>After that it becomes the fun part of trying to find one of the other 3 black directors who do big-boy studio works
>The black character needs a black director
>>
File: image.jpg (51KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
51KB, 540x360px
>>77945375
But he rejected the offer a while ago to work on his own projects or Creed 2.
>>
>>77950389
yeah this is the most annoying thing about the diversity movement, that they want someone from the same gender/ethnic background as the character to direct their movie.

why not have a woman direct a batman movie? or an asian direct the black panther movie? director's get a lot of credit for how a movie turns out, but shouldn't the writer be considered just as important since they literally write everything we see? this is blatant hollywood politics, no different than Feige making a big deal about the next ant-man being called "Ant-Man and Wasp" because it's the first time a woman is headlining a Marvel film, even though she's just sidekick to the main star.
>>
File: image.png (147KB, 304x200px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
147KB, 304x200px
>>77950233
>Ryan Coogler's Cyborg

Is it a psychological thriller about coming to terms with his robotic prosthetics?
>>
>>77946855
Uh, this isn't a recent thing. It's gotten way better since the early 2000s, nowadays seeing anime and video games butchered by Americanization is pretty rare.
>>
>>77950487
I really think they're best bet would be to "cheat" and hire a black director and woman director for movies other than Black Panther and Captain Marvel, respectively. Then they can just pick whoever they want for anyone else and point out how they naysayers are the racist/sexist ones.
>>
>>77946634
I'm pretty sure none of those aside from Chronicle were actually rip offs. People have similar ideas, shocking.
>>
>>77945922
Alan Taylor is one of the best directors to work on Game of Thrones and Rome, not that that makes him a big name
>>
>>77950233
That doesn't really mean anything.
>>
>>77950394
Obviously, he didn't.
>>
>>77948030
Like I mentioned above, I feel like Chronicle was the closest we're going to get to an American Akira. And I realize that it literally pulled "AND THE PROM'S TOMORROW," but Japanese Akira was about the state of Japanese youth in the shadow of WWII and post-WWII development, and likewise, Chronicle is about the state of American youth in the modern age. Americans are shit at conveying large-scale narratives that don't turn into spectacles, though, so they did the right thing in shifting the focus to a more personal battle.
>>
>>77948358
>The Invisibles
How so? I'm not contradicting you, I just wanna know your reasoning.

>>77950562
The story for the Matrix for years has been:
>Wachowskis walk into execs office, pitch them the Matrix, then show them

GitS and say, "We want to make a live action version of this."
PR and Eva have the same basic premise and it's easy to map almost every one of PR's main characters to one of Eva's. Rinko Kikuchi in particular 1) looks almost exactly like the concept art of Rei that leaked a while ago, 2) has the suspiciously specific backstory of being the prodigy of the guy who runs the giant robot show, and a deeper emotional connection with him, and 3) has her Obligatory Asian Dyed Bang dyed blue. That last one was almost certainly put in as a wink, or some sort of lampshade hang.

Darren Aronofsky used scenes lifted straight from Perfect Blue in several of his movies, but Black Swan is the closest to Kon's work.

I'm not saying the anime versions were better, I'm just saying that I wish that Hollywood would have more faith in the ideas they represent and build on them instead of painting over them.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.