[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Cartoon about teens in high school >There's always

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 9

File: ktQzR.gif (494KB, 500x259px) Image search: [Google]
ktQzR.gif
494KB, 500x259px
>Cartoon about teens in high school
>There's always super specific cliques - the jocks, the nerds, the skaters, etc.
>There's always a bully that bothers the MC
>The popular kids rule the school and look down on anyone who approaches them

Did anyone actually have these experiences in high school?
I never understood why it's so prevalent, because I never really came up against this type of stuff when I was in school.
>>
>>77937613
>I never understood why it's so prevalent, because I never really came up against this type of stuff when I was in school.

because everyone hated you in hs anon and you just didn't know it.
>>
>>77937613
yes. the writers. things were different in their day, and in california
>>
>>77937613

I had the popular kids thing at my school.

Basically if you weren't white and rich, you were told to fuck off. But everyone still tried to be one of them.
>>
>>77937679
Anon, Everyone hated all of us during our childhood.
Thats why we are currently sitting in our basements and hating the world on 4chin.
>>
The closes I've had was nerdy smart kids, and poor kids with budding criminal tendencies. Neither had any enmity with each other for the most part though.
>>
>>77937613
We had similar shit minus the jocks. Granted I live in Australia and school sports isn't really a thing in high school, that's mostly out of school activities
>>
>>77937774
>in california
no doubt. I had a lot of AP classes and them white folks were like something straight out of a movie. Everybody was sleeping with each other, gossipy as shit, and the fucking cliques, man. Goddamn the cliques. Luckily, I as the only guy on the journalism team, so I was always assigned to do sports, which made the jocks very familiar with me. I hung out with them and was invited to parties so I was seen as a part of their group too, which means all the cheerleaders wanted to get on my dick. It was a good time, but damn, I really feel like I had to backstab all my friends. I'd see them in the hallway and turn my back on them because I was with the jocks. Even my own brother, I wouldn't talk to except outside of school at home, where no one could see. Ah well. Doesn't matter, had sex in the end, i guess. But the one thing I took away was, California is very much its own fucking world.
>>
>>77937613
It's a hollywood trope. Without it high school would be bland and boring. just like real life
>>
File: _mhys92EDhH1robbfeo1_500.gif (870KB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
_mhys92EDhH1robbfeo1_500.gif
870KB, 500x300px
>>77937613
>Watching a high school cartoon
>In 2015
>>
>>77938066
*smacks lips*
>>
>>77937774
I got a teacher who complains about his high school experience growing up in the 80's california... it checks out I guess. Tho he's a bit too old to be salty about jocks from 20 years ago. Like, let it go man.

The funniest thing is that he's been a huge comic nerd his whole life, and was bullied for it in high school, but now comic books and comic book movies are mainstream and suddenly okay to like, and he frequently brings that up lol.
>>
>>77937613
The Cliques thing was pretty real in my high school. I remember that.
>>
>>77937613
I was the ASB President of my high school (it was a 5A school). So far I haven't dealt with any of these. Although my school has its fair share of scene kids and if you say the term "nerd" then you usually can picture about ten different kids, but nerd is never used as an insult anymore and people are only ever called that in an ironic fashion.

The popular kids all disappeared off the face of the earth and nobody cared about them because they'd all just go to parties and do drugs in their own group, and they were really seemingly some of the loneliest people, minus the people who would hang out with them to make themselves feel cool.

However, one thing I DID experience was extreme pretentiousness among my peers. I took a ton of AP classes, from AP US History to AP English (11 and 12), AP Statistics, and AP Psychology and about half of those classes were consistently filled with kids who really seemed to be stuck-up about a wide variety of aspects. Some kids would act as though they had an intellectual advantage whereas others thought they had a more social advantage, which particularly I thought was weird that they would demonstrate to me as I consider myself to be a pretty social person (although I don't know how hard it is to properly judge myself.) It really got sick after a while but that was the only remotely close experience I had.
>>
>>77939004
I *am the ASB President. Sorry, I'm a tad tired and seem to be switching tenses.
>>
>>77937774
>in their day
Yes
>in california
No.

I think people from other states don't understand how easy life is in southern California unless you're poor. No one worries about the weather, and the schools are full of diverse races and religions and shit, so everybody kinda learns to get along because who cares the sun is shining isn't it beautiful let's smoke my parents' weed.

There were "cliques" insofar as there were groups of people that hung out with each other more than others. But not really any animosity, and plenty of mobility between them.

Maybe it helps that my school was like 60% Asian. No time for any of that shit, gotta get into Harvard.
>>
>>77937613
I mean it's obviously exaggerated, but it's true to a degree.

However instead of basically everyone falling into one of these groups, most people aren't in such clearly defined cliques.

It seemed to me like people formed groups around a combination of interests, intelligence, humor and personality.
>>
>>77938209
Did you really just delete the tumblr part of your file name and hope no one would notice?
>>
File: 1426737137411.jpg (9KB, 263x192px) Image search: [Google]
1426737137411.jpg
9KB, 263x192px
>>77938209
>>77940147
>implying it was the filename that gave it away not the length

Why is it that tumblr restricts gif length to like 2 seconds? That alone is reason enough for me to never use it.
>>
>>77937613
There were cliques and some really condescending people you could call "bullies" at my school in North Carolina but for the most part everyone got along and hung out with people based on where they lived/how much their parents made, but ultimately bonding over sports and clubs. It always annoyed me when watching these movies because they amplify stereotypes so frequently.
>>
>>77937613

I went to a high school where there was about 35 people total in year 12

Everyone knew each other to an extent but there were general friend groups - about two groups of boys and two of girls, with a reasonable amount of overlap between them

Then there were like two outcasts who nobody really cared for - the kid who always got angry and cried in PE because people didn't kick the ball to him (even when he was 17), those types

There were no real social tiers, just different interests - those more into sport, those more into 'technology', and that was really it - and again, there was a significant amount of overlap

Maybe I'm in the minority though
>>
In my highschool the popular people were usually the ones who were the smartest/most driven/most athletically gifted/richest all at once, and I went to a pretty diverse and relatively large public school. We had cliques as far as a few people doing the winter play over a sport just because they prefer drama.
>>
File: RAhYsI7.jpg (228KB, 875x764px) Image search: [Google]
RAhYsI7.jpg
228KB, 875x764px
>>77937613
"Pretty much every kids show stereotype can be traced back to the BK Kids club. "
-Alex Hirch

(https://www.reddit.com/r/gravityfalls/comments/1kgq85/i_am_alex_hirsch_creator_of_gravity_falls_ask_me/cbosagy)
>>
>>77937613
Yes this was prevalent depending on who you were and what school you were at, its not as typical as most people make it out to be, its very easy to become neutral in HS a lot of people ride that wave to the end but for a lot of people not so much.
>>
>>77940346
This is a different cliche and also younger. OP thing is much older.
>>
What if those cliques only exist in high schools because cartoons are pushing that ideology onto kids that they need to separate themselves into categories?
>>
>>77940422
...Hm, you're right. So what can the stock high school characters be traced back to?
>>
File: 1.jpg (50KB, 852x480px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50KB, 852x480px
>>77937613
I never really experienced this either.

I went to one of the biggest high schools in the Bay Area. The total student population was almost 3000, and my graduating Senior class was 600 students.
The school covered like 5 city blocks too, so the faculty couldn't even keep track of who was coming to class or not outside of the roll call, so it was really on the honor system that you'd come.

In the 4 years I was there, I'd probably recognized 5 or 6 people in each class I had every semester. Practically everyone else would be someone I never knew. Barely any of my friends had classes together.

It was literally impossible to form defined cliques, have someone single you out to bully, or even have a defined 'popular kids' group because nobody could make a social group big enough to garner attention from all the other students.

I never met anyone who was on the football team, didn't know who the quarterback was, and I didn't even know we had state wining basketball team until the after I graduated.

Looking back, it felt more like a community college than a high school. There was just too many people and to many things going on to care about climbing a social ladder after you found a core group of friends.

Pic related, it's how my school generally felt like most of the time.
>>
File: 1439177869265.gif (2MB, 400x250px) Image search: [Google]
1439177869265.gif
2MB, 400x250px
I don't care about anything else that goes on this thread.

Does anyone have that webm of that one Japanese show where a girl shows a kid to all the cliques in the cafeteria? Shit kills me.
>>
>>77937613
This described my high school experience.

Seems fairly standard in the US.
>>
>>77940680
>3000 students

your fucking lying. ive never heard of a high school in the US having more than a 1000.
your so-called graduating class was bigger than my whole school.
>>
File: bugspleb.jpg (31KB, 398x307px) Image search: [Google]
bugspleb.jpg
31KB, 398x307px
>All these publicschoolfags ITT

I went to a really high end all-boys school. Most of the kiddy-cliques/"bullying" gets replaced with standard bantz within the first year or so, and by senior year pretty much everyone is friends with everyone unless you are a complete faggot.

And before you complain about no girls, there are several similar all-girls schools in the vicinity, with girls who aren't cumrags like the public school ones.
>>
>>77940232
Because it's poorly made coding would have it crash if they were longer (is what some people actually believe)
>>
>>77940817
>your
Well damn, no wonder you had such a shitty school if they didn't even teach you basic grammar.
>>
>>77940817
I'm not even that anon, but jesus man go to bed you forgot how to read.
>my graduating Senior class was 600 students
It was probably your terrible inbred mid-West education.

Patrician schools like mine had about 2500 kids. 500+ in my grad class.
>>
File: Untitled.png (1MB, 874x828px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
1MB, 874x828px
>>77940346
>>
>>77941053
I like how these are all from the "less intelligent" boards. No /co/, /tg/, /vg/, etc. Not sure why that amuses me but there you go.
>>
>jocks were just bored guys, some were out of shape, all did other stuff and viewed it as just another hobby. I was on good terms with anyone of them that i knew
>popular kids were the friendliest and outgoing ones, you know-people that other people liked.
>nerds had bands and did other stuff. Well liked by other people, sometimes they got taken advantage of a little on homework and project
>loners were assholes or psychos. People that no one else liked because they had shit personalities
But thats not really a set up for easy to digest stories writers thrive on
>>
>>77941104

dont flatter yourself
>>
In my high school all the chicks hated each other but all the guys were cool with each other. I personally was selective about my friends and didn't like some people, but other than that, no one antagonized anyone.
>>
>>77941104
>/co/
>Intelligent
There's a reason you're called /co/mblr
>>
>>77940817
Anon, there are a lot of high schools in the US, some with massive classes, some where a few schools that are lumped together to make it look like an even bigger graduation class, etc.

The exact opposite is true as well, I know a girl who had a graduating class of 14, which was basically the whole grade.
>>
High school in cartoons is like middle school in real life.
>>
>>77941104
>No /co/, /tg/, /vg/, etc
>Intelligent
Are you reading what you're writing?
>>
>>77937774
NorCal here, not here either. Hell I thought we might be one of the exceptions. Popular folk at my high school were just the most sociable and outgoing, the coolest of my class-year being a casual former skater who smoked weed to cope with stress from time to time. We were friends back in elementary school. Only assholes were a few random people that were only full of themselves, and sometimes the poser redneck guys would start shit to prove how redneck they totally were. Even came to schools in hunting or carhardt jackets.
Faggot in charge of that foursome had never even gone hunting once. Posers.
>>
>>77938066
Depends on where you are. Los Angeles is the New York of the west coast, you living in Compton or Beverly Hills makes a world of fuckin difference. I'm a townee, so I never had that. But if I lived in a big city, who knows.
>>
>>77940680
Castro Valley?
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (95KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
95KB, 1280x720px
>>77937613
At my high school we had all the ones you mentioned.
>Jocks
The football and basketball team were mostly made of black weebs who talked about Dragon Ball and Naruto nonstop, they were pretty cool guys. I got all of them into Fist of the North Star and played Yu-Gi-Oh with some of them after practice.
>Nerds
I guess this would be my group of friend since we all liked some strange and specific thing (mine being comics and /m/ stuff) and did well in school despite being total slackers. We hung out in the gym area every morning before school and just shot the shit.
>Skaters
Really a bunch of guys and one girl who just hung out and smoked cigarettes, they did little to no skating but carried around wooden boards with wheels on them.
>Popular crowd
They were actually popular because they were either really attractive or really funny. None of the cheerleaders were popular and only a few jocks were. I was actually popular according to some people despite the fact I never hid my powerlevel.
>Band geeks
A bunch of beta males and gays orbiting a chubby 6/10 who they called Queen. They barely played anything well and the band teacher was a suicidal old man.
>Stoners
They were kind of nice but really annoying about trying to spread the greatness of weed
>>
>>77941844
I like how the odd phenomena that is band geeks seems to be the same in every school.
>>
>>77937613
That simpson episode about how horrific it is for students to wear school uniform...I only got to wear my own clothes in education when I got to our version of a community college to prepare for university.
>>
when we started highschool my friend and I were sure all the tv high school cliches were nonsense. That is until on our first day we sat down at a lunch table and some cheerleaders showed up and told us to leave, saying it was "their table". we didn't wanna move mid-sandwich so we said no, and they actually went and got the quarterback and his linebacker buddy to come beat us up. We felt like we walked into a cartoon.
However they backed down pretty fast when we, the nerds, stood up and were a good 1/2 foot taller than both of them. That must have thrown the school's plot out of whack because after that nothing remotely cliche ever happened for the rest of our 4 years.
>>
>>77941640
the other two have their moments but /tg/ regularly shows a good deal of intelligence, it's just always used on matters no normal person would never waste a moment of thought on.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.