[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Superman has no good villains This is a complaint normies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: metallo.jpg (68KB, 623x623px) Image search: [Google]
metallo.jpg
68KB, 623x623px
>Superman has no good villains

This is a complaint normies often levy against Superman when they call him boring.

Yet while Superman has plenty of recognizable big-name villains (Metallo, Lex, Brainiac, the whole Intergang crew), movies always exclusively use only Lex or Zod.

Why?
>>
File: 128328707361.jpg (32KB, 350x247px) Image search: [Google]
128328707361.jpg
32KB, 350x247px
>normies
>>
>>77929469
>calls other people normies
>cares about what villains Superman faces in live-action movies
>>
>>77929469

normie here. who the fuck is metallo?
>>
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that it's because Lex and Zod are the easiest to stick on the screen cheaply. They just look like normal guys.

Metallo and Brainiac are both robots, Bizarro needs to look like Superman with a zombie-coating over him, Myxzptlk is a magic elf who would require all kinds of special effects to do impressive shit, Parasite, Atomic Skull and Doomsday are all basically monsters, Livewire is a living lightning bolt.

Underlying theme here is that they all require a ton of make-up and/or CGI to do well on the screen.

Lex only require a business suit and a shaved head

(They could probably do Toyman, but no one would take that seriously)
>>
>>77929469

Because they are the most iconic (Zod only because he appearing in the early Superman movies)

You forgot Darkseid (I'm not really sure why they haven't used him)
>>
>>77929570
But they never even make Lex bald in the movies
>>
>>77929469
Tim Burton wanted to use Brainiac.
>>
>>77929579
Darkseid is like Thanos....why waste him in a Superman movie when you can blow your load with a Justice League movie?
>>
>>77929608
Well, that just confirms the notion that they were super cheap, doesn't it? They couldn't even get LEX right, what chance would they have of doing anything else right?
>>
Batman's villains are mirror images of him.

Supermam has no relation to his villains. They're just people for him to hit
>>
File: superman smug.png (307KB, 403x403px) Image search: [Google]
superman smug.png
307KB, 403x403px
>>77929469

It's a shame. Brainiac and Metallo hell even Mr. Myxytpltk (fuck it i can't spell it and don't wanna at the moment) would be cool to see.

Atomic Skull and Parasite would be sweet, hell even Bizzaro.
>>
>>77929570
But intergang is literally just a gang

And they could lead into a Darkseid JLA movie
>>
The reason they used Zod in Man of Murder was because they wanted Superman to punch somebody.
>>
Lex is good so Superman can bully him with his powers. Zod is good so Superman can beat up someone of equal power. Getting in to Metallo or Parasite or any of the villains where Superman has to actually think things through fucks up the power fantasy.

Conversely, Batman gets his menagerie because Batman is all about the tools.

Superman's rogues gallery is better for ongoings anyway, because superman is such a powerhouse that it's kind of boring to see his villains plot and plan and then lose anyway. You can pull that off in an ongoing by having all the setup happening before the thing starts, do a bunch of scenes of Supes getting pushed around/apparently beaten, and then have him come back in the last bit to pull the win out. Films basically require establishment and a work down from the climax.

Now, if they could figure out a way to get around that, all the other villains would be great. Like in the upcoming film, they didn't NEED to use Zod to establish Bruce's antipathy towards superman. It could have just as easily been him any other villain stirring shit up and getting innocents killed on the sidelines. They went with Zod to establish continuity though, so that's kind of a shame.
>>
>>77929608
He was bald in ALL OF THEM
>>
>>77929568
Cyborg with a kryptonite heart.
>>
>>77930088
>Getting in to Metallo or Parasite or any of the villains where Superman has to actually think things through fucks up the power fantasy.

Yeah but the number one complaint about Superman is that he's too powerful. Why is having somebody who is a threat to him bad?
>>
>>77929579
Darkseid isn't exclusive to superman you normie.
>>
>>77930116
Gene Hackman
>>
>>77930220
Not bald, wore a wig.
Several scenes were he was shown bald
>>
File: 1426956357681.png (269KB, 458x294px) Image search: [Google]
1426956357681.png
269KB, 458x294px
>>77929664
>we'll never get a full on Silver Age Bizarro in a Superman movie
>>
>>77930220
He was wearing a wig. That's revealed in each and every movie. Watch them.
>>
>>77930246
He refused to shave his head and act bald, so they gave him a bald cap for a couple scenes.

Lex Luthor has literally one consistent physical trait and the movies can't even get it right.
>>
>>77930284
Except they did.
He was bald
>>
File: luthor.jpg (153KB, 572x1348px) Image search: [Google]
luthor.jpg
153KB, 572x1348px
>>77930284
>one consistent physical trait
nigga you what
>>
File: lex-luthor.0.jpg (51KB, 612x765px) Image search: [Google]
lex-luthor.0.jpg
51KB, 612x765px
>>77929608
>>
>>77930291
No, they didn't. He had hair in most scenes.
>>
>>77930313
>this level of cherry picking
Nigga YOU what
>>
>>77930324
A wig.
The character was still bald.
>>
File: bizarro.jpg (134KB, 600x877px) Image search: [Google]
bizarro.jpg
134KB, 600x877px
>>77930269
Bizarro would be the sweetest villain, I want him in a live action movie pretty badly.
>>
File: luthor.jpg (38KB, 220x336px) Image search: [Google]
luthor.jpg
38KB, 220x336px
>>77930345
nigga you what
>>
>>77930359

But which version? Malformed clone or Earth-29?
>>
>>77930193
Because they're not really a threat. Superman's not going to lose in his own movie. You basically have to have a world threat, and Superman's job is to stop it or reduce collateral damage. Metallo showing up cackling "I will KILL Superman with my Kryptonite heart!" doesn't really mean much aside from Superman having to figure out a way around his weakness. That type of thing works in an episodic format, or during a team up to keep Superman from handling everything himself, but it doesn't really work as a primary form of conflict.

MAYBE we'll see that more with future team up movies, but for BvS, they needed a larger world threat for the inevitable team up.
>>
>>77930736
>Because they're not really a threat. Batman's not going to lose in his own movie.
>>
Parasite, Metallo, and Atomic Skull would be great non world threat level villains that we'll probably never see. A man can dream though
>>
Did Jesse Eisenberg refuse to shave his head?. It's so simple and easy and your hair grows back, then you have that actor stand next to Henry Cavill whi exercised constantly and drank 5000 calories worth of protein shakes to become Superman.
>>
>>77930874
See
>>77930314
The theory is by the end of the film Lex will have Kryptonite cancer and less of the eccentric public figure we saw in the trailer.
>>
>>77930847

Ever read Supermam For All Seasons, where after Superman shows up Lex starts developing a robot police force so that he can prove he can do a better job than Superman?

That's what a Superman origin movie should be.
>supermam shows up in metropolis
>lex gets jelly
>they clash
>lex makes metallo

There. Now you get a story that makes sense, can stand alone as a movie, and wide audiences get to see somebody get punched
>>
>>77930805
Technically neither of them are going to lose. They'll fight to a stand still with Batman pulling a bunch of shit that surprises even Superman, Superman will go off about how Batman can't hurt him, Zuckerberg will release the Abomination so they can put their differences aside and Wonder Woman can inexplicably show up.
>>
>>77930874
Actually a leaked BvS lego set shows Lex with 'removable' hair. So yeah, he probably is bald and uses wigs.
>>
I just realized that I'd love a big budget Superman movie with Mr. Mxyzptlk as the villain.

Also, did they actually canonize the Anti-Life Equation to be Mr. Mxyzptlk + Bat-Mite = Anti-Life?
>>
>>77930735
It's been a while since I read any bizarro story, but I do love the one that rules Bizarropolis or something, I think it's the earth-29 version.
>>
>>77930345
Luthor has hair all the time in the comics
>>
File: nevergofullretard.gif (3MB, 270x199px) Image search: [Google]
nevergofullretard.gif
3MB, 270x199px
>>77931254
>lego mini-fig has removable hair

You don't say?
>>
>>77931576
I know someone was going to be this dumb
As in, the hair is an accesory.
The normal appearance is without hair.
He doesn't even appear with hair in the front of the box.
Happy?
>>
>>77930805
I won't say it's not hypocritical, but I feel like it works more for Batman because, while he himself never loses, Batman takes hits. Batman takes losses. Losing Dick (as a friend/son, for awhile), losing Jason (literally), Barbara being shot, Harvey getting scared etc. Superman, to my knowledge, never really takes any hits. Lois, Jimmy, and Perry always make it out well. The only instance I can think of is losing Pa Kent, and I don't think that's ever been villain related but always more of an example of human mortality and how Clark can't save everyone.
>>
>>77930284
>he refused to act bald
>act bald
Wut
>>
>>77931839
Not pretend to be bald, act while in the state of being bald

Literacy, friend.
>>
File: doge.jpg (82KB, 335x498px) Image search: [Google]
doge.jpg
82KB, 335x498px
>>77931824
Supwrman just has a smaller cast
>>
Mongul and Metallo are my favorites.
>>
>>77930345
he's had hair a ton of times you dummy
>>
File: Mongul.png (404KB, 524x540px) Image search: [Google]
Mongul.png
404KB, 524x540px
Mongul and Warworld
Brainiac and the bottled cities
Darkseid and the New Gods concept

They are really good villians, but at the same time, the scale of such villians is too damn high.
Every single of these concepts would require a lot of time, effort, and money to achieve on screen.
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.