[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why can't cartoons and comics ever properly portray a solid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 31

Why can't cartoons and comics ever properly portray a solid friendship between two girls? At best it feels shallow and forced, at worst it's simply yuri-bating fanservice

These two are by far the best female "bromance" in /co/related media.

Why can't we have more of this?
>>
>>77912353

From personal experience female friends are kind of assholes to each other. Not even in that playful 'banter lads' way male friends are, but in a 'batman has contingency plans should superman ever upset him' way.
>>
>>77912417
that's because you are a teenager and all your dumb friends are teenagers too
>>
>>77912353
Because girls are literally unable to be friends with one another. Being completely serious right now. Females view one another as competition and will stab someone in the back when they no longer benefit them.
>>
>>77912457
Then it would seem that all characters are acting correctly seeing that most of them are dumb teenagers or younger.
>>
>>77912542
I feel like this is going to get marked as /pol/ spam and removed, but TBSVH, I think this is why women should not be in positions of power. They only care about themselves and what others can provide for them. When they "love" a guy, it's only because they can provide them with sex and visual stimulation.
>>
I'm seconding the opinion that women don't make friends. I've lost count how many times my wife has said "I hate that bitch" in regards to her "friends".
>>
Thirding women being unable to make friends. Why else is the feminist movement tearing itself apart?
>>
>>77912353

Different cultures have different sexual customs. The third sex in Southeast Asia, chaste male homosexual love in 19th century Scandinavia, and in modern Western culture the role of women being able engage in some degree of homosexual behavior without becoming officially bisexual or queer, as long as they're going to end up with a man.

And, anecdotally, it seems like a LOT of male nerds in the indie game dev scene, Westcoast comedy and videogame/comics/film/etc. reporting scene, and so forth have girlfriends who self-report some degree of sexual attraction to and sexual history with other women.

Whereas the idea of "bros" and platonic love between two men expressed through somber loyalty, often involving death and sacrifice instead of sex, is an important aspect of the way male friendship is romanticized in Western culture.

Ordinary friendships are not good drama. For a dramatic narrative, your best friend is either going to betray you, die for you, or fall in love with you.
>>
>>77912353
It's hard enough to write one female character, writing two is almost impossible
>>
>>77912353
Because every woman either hates each other, or wants to fuck each other. No in betweens.
>>
>>77912603
>it's only because they can provide them with sex and visual stimulation
You know that's bullshit because women hate sex.
>>
>>77912353
Tumblr didn't exist when Daria and Jane were stomping around that's why.
>>
>>77912811
If women could make friends, why would they need Men to accomplish any of their goals?
>>
>>77912457

You seem upset.

Although I'm not a teenager, I can't deny that I'm still fairly young. It probably changes eventually, but it's not as if most cartoons don't deal with young people anyway.
>>
What about a female with a believable, fun, dynamic relationship with guys, though?

Who is the Elaine Benes of /co/?
>>
>>77912992

The best female characters are always the ones that hang around with men, tbphwurn.

Tomboys and more masculine girls are just more interesting from a narrative point of view.
>>
>>77912896

I'm a guy and I don't really like sex that much
>>
>>77913046
I think that Westerners are just obsessed with tomboys?
>>
>>77913465
Are you?
>>
Because men are incapable of understanding women and women are incapable of writing well.
>>
>>77913046
that's because their periods get less intense the more time they spend around men. male contact literally makes you less of a bitch, ladies. so maybe you don't need your own subway car. just speak up if someone starts a-gropin'
>>
>>77912542

Speaking as someone with a socially active little sister, you're so full of shit I'm afraid you might explode. Go outside every once in a while, bud.
>>
>>77914110
Got any reputable articles confirming the science behind this?
>>
File: 1434589799282.png (258KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1434589799282.png
258KB, 600x600px
>>77912603
>They only care about themselves and what others can provide for them

So basicly like every person who ever gets into power.
>>
>>77914677
no, but the article i read did
plus it makes sense yknow. pheromones and all that
>>
>>77912603
You're only saying that b/c you're probably a woman
>>
File: Stopped-reading-there.jpg (14KB, 250x272px) Image search: [Google]
Stopped-reading-there.jpg
14KB, 250x272px
>>77912353
>at worst it's simply yuri-bating fanservice
>>
>>77915488
no it doesn't. menstruation is the disposal of unused ovum and the uterine wall it was attatched to. The hormones and cramps come from it being a naturally occuring abortion mechanism, for when your body detects that your embryo has died or that you don't have enough resources available to nourish the thing without starving to death.
>>
>>77912603
whereas men are the most loving and altrustic things around, right?

if that was true these conniving shrews would have manipulated men into handing over all positions of power by now and forced the male gender into low paying exploitative service roles, and with no opposition.
>>
>>77912353
>Why can't cartoons and comics ever properly portray a solid friendship between two girls? At best it feels shallow and forced

Probably because real life "solid friendships" between two girls ARE ALL shallow and forced.
>>
>>77915786
epic
simply epic
>>
File: 1433206516162.jpg (5KB, 227x222px) Image search: [Google]
1433206516162.jpg
5KB, 227x222px
>>77914631
How old is your sister?
I have a girlfriend, a socially active sister and a really shy sister, and not even one of them has a REAL friendship, like, we know each other from elementary school and we are bros even after married kind of crap. Every one of their really close female friends just ditched them.

I honestly feel like women can't have lasting friendships.
>>
File: Friendship Status; rekt.jpg (364KB, 1691x541px) Image search: [Google]
Friendship Status; rekt.jpg
364KB, 1691x541px
>>77914631
Come talk to me when your little sister's best friend betrays the fuck out of her over silly shit and airs out her personal secrets on facebook.
>>
File: Global World Kanayafication.jpg (839KB, 2400x3264px) Image search: [Google]
Global World Kanayafication.jpg
839KB, 2400x3264px
>>77916004
In some ways it's true, you know how guys can be "bros"? What's the female equivalent, sis's? Chicks? Guys can do bro stuff and it's considered fantastic for them to bond and be total bros for each other.

Our culture has no equivalent for sis's or chicks. It's usually just seen as lesbianism if they get too close.

That's why I hate modern cartoons today, shows like Korra, Steven Universe and Adventure Time cannot portray female friendships without needing the force the "But they're SECRETLY SUBTLE LESBIANS GUISE SEE HOW MUCH THEY WANNA FUCK?" angle. Even shows with female protagonists like Korra and Star cannot do this well.

Fuck lesbian pandering and screw the horny-ass writers. All they would have to do is
1)Make two female characters who aren't related
2)Make them friends, show them being friends, let them be friends
3)No lesbian subtext
Adventure Time had such a great chance to do this too with such a varied female cast but they fucked it up for Bubbline.
It also ruined Rose and Kanaya's characters.
>>
File: Rocky_this thread.gif (583KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
Rocky_this thread.gif
583KB, 240x160px
>>77912353
>Open thread expecting discussion of Bro-tier friendships or possible some Daria related stuff
>Find a MGTOW rally instead.
>>
>>77916846
That's kind of the point of the thread, isn't it?

Other than Daria and Jane, what other /co/ have really strong friendships?
>>
>>77916381
This can't be real, right?
>>
>>77913143
Me neither
having sex was probably one of the least enjoyable things I have ever done
>>
>>77916381
>Anita

Triggered!
>>
>>77916507
female equivalent is "girlfriends" or "galpals"
or you know, "friends"

fuck off retard
>>
I feel its mostly bitter virgins who post these crazy theories on women. When y'all get gfs you'll stop being so angry.
>>
File: 1437886237446.gif (2MB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1437886237446.gif
2MB, 250x250px
Jesus ass fucking Christ, is this entire thread for real?
Get your heads out of your asses, /co/.
>>
>>77912353
If you've ever watched two average female friends interact it's basically just a flury of bad jokes, hysterical laughter and omglikeLITERALLYwtflmao.
>>
>>77916381
Angela is such a two-faced bitch, oh my god.
>>
>>77917101
>it's basically just a flury of bad jokes, hysterical laughter and omglikeLITERALLYwtflmao.
Maybe we're not so different, after all.

ayy lmao.
>>
File: phoebeskips.jpg (97KB, 942x714px) Image search: [Google]
phoebeskips.jpg
97KB, 942x714px
>>77912353
I always liked how Helga and Phoebe's friendship was written.
>>
>>77913534
This. Only person who gets it.
>>
>>77912353
>Why can't cartoons and comics ever properly portray a solid friendship between two girls?
I know man. This is absolutely something no one ever sees. Especially not in exceedingly popular cartoons about pastel horses with the word friendship actually in the name.
>>
>>77916920
It's probably fake but it's not that far off the mark.
Apparently it's a thing to print out selfies of your friends so that you can talk about them behind their backs. Teenage girls are the most devious sociopaths on the face of the earth and that behavior doesn't exactly vanish once you hit your 20s, especially these days.

Men will kill you. Women will get you to kill yourself.
>>
File: tiana charlotte.png (171KB, 497x275px) Image search: [Google]
tiana charlotte.png
171KB, 497x275px
>>77912542
>>77912603
>>77912603
>>77912753
>>77912811
>>77912871
>>77912933
>>77915786
>>77916328
>>77916507
>>>/r9k/
holy fucking shit, this thread has like 4 good posts in total
>>
Holy fucking /r9k/ and /pol/ shit thread.

Can you fucktards even discuss anything female without spewing your massive, crippling personal issues and retarded feelz all over the place?
>>
>>77913465
They really are.
Look at the most well liked and beloved women and the most hated.
If they aren't masculine, tomboys or dykey as fuck if not full on gay then they are punching bags of the highest order or completely ignored.

I'm dead serious.
And let's face it, they have a serious hate on for any chick that is attractive traditionally feminine and 100% straight.

>>77916507
It's because the only women who care about it that much are in fact lonely bisexuals or lesbians. Other women would rather have a quasi harem of males or get pseudo-raped/emotionally control the hottest noble prince on a white steed or dark conqueror on a black stallion.
The only other chicks around her are quasi enemies that she keeps at arms length or the chicks she wants to bang/use as a way to bang dudes.
Know the whole thing about women wanting close friends like men? It's another form of penis envy.
They do have relationships like men, it's just that they approach it a hell of a lot different then men do. Women see all other women as competition, men see all other men as competition.
Only difference is men try to one up each other in real world logical set in stone events and we try to enforce logic and rules based on the fact that shit can and will get bad if we decide to test those rules outside of small squabbles and sports.
While women try to one up each other in esoteric ways and try to pull those down that they can't one up, and they will NEVER stop mainly because they don't have something akin to men's enforced by penalty of death or destruction social force keeping it from getting bad and we get tired and if we don't realize that what we're focusing on is a waste of time then we'll put everything and one we have on the line to reach that ridiculous goal.

Anyway. That's just an example.
This is all stream of thought stuff so forgive any sentence fuck ups.
>>
>>77916381

My workplace is split 50/50 between the genders and trust me, backstabbing is about equal on each side. Men and women go about it in slightly different ways, but not by much at all. They backstab each other all the time, too.

People are just assholes in general.
>>
>>77917253

somebody get this hothead outta here
>>
>>77916507

I've heard this exact argument reversed with men in place of women.

Fans want characters to fuck no matter their genders, some people have just started openly pandering. Supernatural and Hannibal have done this with guys and having them fuck because fans wanted them too. You just don't notice it because you frequent different circles. "Why can't women, men, men and women characters just be friends," it's because fans are horny and want everyone to fuck for some reason.
>>
>>77917341
Somebody get this memehead back to >>>/tv/
>>
>>77916507
>implying men can earnestly say they love each other without being called gay (family excepted)
>implying men are allowed any physical contact with each without being called gay

people are just fags about wanting people to screw
>>
>>77917449
We actually, do all of that, the love part? Why in the hell would we need to say that. We show that through action and admittance of platonic/familial love for a dude can only be done when you're drunk or in emergencies. Never off hand.

>>77917080
You'd be surprised at how many of these posts are from women.
But I guess it's easier to pretend it's all just ebul bitter neckbeards. You know, to keep this mostly female and queer populated board from exploding in estrogen fueled war.
>>
>>77912353
The only other female friendship I could think of is Fire and Ice Maiden. It used to include Harley and Poison Ivy, but now they've gone full lesbo.
>>
>>77912353
>tfw thread is filled with "all girls are shallow and dont have real friends" posts.
>tfw I still have solid friendships with 90% of my highschool pals, men and women. and we all go out of our way to attend eachothers birthdays and christmas gift parties every year even though most of us live pretty far away now a days.

Are me and my friends freaks or do people on 4chan just not know a lot of decent women?
Im thinking its the later, but to be fair my friend group is tighter than a lot of others I've seen.
>>
>>77917328
>They do have relationships like men, it's just that they approach it a hell of a lot different then men do. Women see all other women as competition, men see all other men as competition.
>Only difference is men try to one up each other in real world logical set in stone events and we try to enforce logic and rules based on the fact that shit can and will get bad if we decide to test those rules outside of small squabbles and sports.

When try to one up each other and perform their status it's not done out of spite or genuine dislike for another, it's usually done through a kind of partnering to show off each other's best qualities and in a brisk way see/respect the others. That's why a fistfight among bros or competition is seen as friendly, it encourages growth and bonds.

Girls don't bond the same way from what I've seen, there's no direct confrontation that would allow them to respect and understand each other chica to chica like guys do. It's all gossip and cat fights and prissy shit, and is all about completely destroying the other party and isolating them rather than garnering any respect for your competition. Men grow and fight together. Woman just tear each other apart. Because men can come to an understanding even through conflict, they can have an actual revolution, all while proving their worth. (And sometimes establishing whose dominant, if that happens) Woman do it externally and through proxy so no resolve is ever pushed through.
>And let's face it, they have a serious hate on for any chick that is attractive traditionally feminine and 100% straight.
I wish there was a traditionally feminine character whose saving grave trait was something like "kindess" or "forgiveness", in a very Disneyian sense. They have the strength to just get over a feud or quarrel, or just confront the other sissy bitch directly and laugh the whole conflict off. That'd be a kind of femininity you don't see often in media.
>>
>>77917333
Men backstabbing each other don't have to pretend to be polite about it in good company, especially to each other. It's usually more like a front to front stabbing. Woman seem incapable of just being upfront about that kind of thing however.

>>77917398
Yeah but woman and lesbians are more commonly accepted to this. Sure you have some occasional Sherlock and Wattson shipper or EdwardxJacob lover, but while the writers will simply say "Nah they're just bros" and let it be, writers of females cannot help but go out of their way and make female friendships completely gay, i.e. Korra and Asami, PB and Marceline, Pearl and Rose, ect.
>>
>>77917634
It's more like woman aren't allowed to have DEEP friendships, whatever that means, between other woman. We just don't see it that often, and woman are more than half the species population.

Whereas a platonic bond between bros is seen as respectable and something really special, the same equivalent for girls is just treated as overly sexual and gay.

Maybe it's the whole taboo around men having close friendships seeming gay that makes it actually seem that much more important when it happens?
>>
>>77917634

No it's the same for me as well, and I've jumped around many different friend groups. I've settled down in one, but I saw many examples of strong friendships of many variations boy/girl, boy/boy, girl/girl etc. As well as shallow ones.

Just one of those nights, one of those threads.

Anecdotal experience = Fact. We can argue til the cows come home about this shit, but your perception is flavored by experience and I don't see much convincing otherwise on either side especially in a thread on a cartoon board.
>>
>>77913534
>>77917209
>this
but, I would amend that women do write very well. I point to the legion of female novelists who are slowly taking over the publishing industry. The problem is, however, they write chick stuff. not too many women write comedy or action stuff. and the ones who do get marginalized and ignored when they try to get their stuff produced.

seriously, how many live action shows have believable, sincere female friendships, that aren't drama shit or some other crap that no man would ever watch.
>>
>>77917828
I wish I had a cow
>>
>>77917298
I feel that this is a problem across all the blue boards. this MRA crap is a plague
>>
>>77917894
#triggered
>>
>>77912417
Sounds like you don't know a lot of women.
>>
>>77917944
>even ironically hashtag posting
>>
>>77912896
if you think women hate sex, you must be a miserable lay.
>>
>>77912353
Bromance tends to develop when two particular characters bond doing a particular activity together, like Finn and Jake adventuring or Mordecai and Rigby working at the park and playing video games. Since women are more talking oriented than action oriented, they have less potential to have female bromance. With females, good friendships tend to be more based on the opposites between two characters than something they share, like with Peppermint Patty and Marcie, where one character is more knowing and the other character is more naive.

Also I think that females, who are more concerned with fitting in, tend to make for less interesting characters than males, who are less concerned. This has relevance not only to having less female characters in general and therefore less female friendships, but reason for why also makes female friendships weaker. One day she is your friend, then the next day the group decides it doesn't like her so she isn't your friend anymore. With boys it's different, you stick by your friend and damn what the group thinks of it. The strength of the bond is another characteristic of bromance.
>>
You know what would be really cool to see in a cartoon?

A couple of grandmas that hang out, having been friends for decades, they just spend their days shooting to shit about the good old days and getting wasted on wine. Have them be side-characters that sometimes help out the main cast, give them a cool little side-plot every now and then
>>
>>77917532
You do realize that people can hate their own gender right?
>>
>>77917634
this thread is bullshit. women do have deep, longstanding friendships. it's just not something that gets depicted in media, very often. Consider this, how many tv shows have had female leads and focused on their friendship? other than the recent stampede, they have been few and far between. film has a much better track record, but most of those are dramas, like Fried Green Tomatoes, or Steel Magnolias.

when you get to cartoons, who is the audience for most cartoons? little boys. obviously girls watch them, too, but for some reason advertisers and producers don't care about little girls. Most shows don't even have more than two regular female characters, and when they do it's because one is a hero and one is a villain.
>>
>>77917768
That actually does happen.
Or used to happen.
But the queer mafia always ends up jumping in and pushing the gay angle.

It's quite honestly the reason that all girls basically gave up on all western media altogether and went full into manga and anime.

That was before it went completely disgusting pandering to horny losers and alienated everyone who wasn't a emotionally and sexually jaded creep like american comic and cartoon lovers.
>>
>>77918097
My mother is probably the most misogynist person I know.
>>
File: hqdefault[1].jpg (15KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault[1].jpg
15KB, 480x360px
>>77918007
>With boys it's different, you stick by your friend and damn what the group thinks of it
>>
>>77917680
I can attest to this. I am a pretty small guy, so I get picked on a lot. When I fight back, the other guy usually does a 180 and treats me like an equal. with women it seems like fighting only draws revenge...

but, women are taught to never fight. its something little boys do, but girls are harshly punished for it. And given the extreme value placed on appearances ("don't get your dress dirty") its easier to trash your enemy by just trashing her stuff or reputation.

I wonder if women on sports teams have better friendships. I mean, they physically compete, so is like fighting
>>
>>77918030
I would pay to see that. hell, I would pay to see any cartoon with a regular old lady character, who was not a grandma. Old ladies are funny as hell and sharp as pins
>>
I'm seriously straining to come up with any in Western media. Katara and Toph had a nice thing going. Julie and Claire in Motorcity were fun.

And sorry for bringing manga to a comic discussion, but Azumanga Daioh is the single most accurate portrayal of teenage female friendship and dialogue I've ever seen.
>>
I think the best way to explain it is that women have no self-restraint on attacking and denigrating other women because there's no real consequences for it. Insulting a man can result in physical harm to your person, but women's anger is rarely more than verbal/social.
>>
>>77918185

I dunno, I'm a chick and I fought back (physically) twice against bullies, one a girl and one a guy. In both cases the bullying stopped there. I did actually become friends with the girl after, not close but friendly, not the guy. It didn't fix all my problems.

Also not saying it works for everybody, definitely have heard of fighting back making it worse for lots of people and them getting injured.

Girls and guys were equally cliquish at my one school, at the other school neither was cliquish, so it seems to depend on the school.
>>
>>77912833
Good post. Hope other people read it.
>>
>>77912542
>"I know this because 4chan told me so"
>>
>>77912833
In Japan, they subtly encourage lesbianism in teen girls as a way of keeping them from unwanted pregnancy, however it's not acceptable for adults. Adult women who lez out are seen as being unable to grow up.
>>
>>77918185
No, no they are not.
This coming from a man who knew women who were both athletes and women who physically fought other women. And a chunk of the female athletes who weren't at each others throats( and band members )were just fucking each other.
Unsurprisingly enough lesbians were drawn to sports, anyway, the same thing happened between female athletes and women who weren't athletes.

Women who didn't go for direct confrontations would indirectly fight or destroy her enemies. That's just how things are.

Certain women are more willing to have a physical altercation then others, that's just how it is. No amount of palming it off on evil society is going to change that.

Secondly, women are just different then men. Trying to mimic us won't make women better women or make their friendships better. It'll just make them more confused and hate themselves for not having the correct type of friendship instead of learning HOW to be a good friend and having a good relationship.
>>
>>77918185
A part of that is because women only get into fights when they're really quite upset. Men are more prone to get into physical altercations over smaller things.

So has this just become a Gender Studies thread or something?
>>
>>77918369
Explains how most media is seen as something for horny losers in japan and why their sexless automatons.
>>
>>77918388

The problem with all of this is it's just personal anecdotes turned into sweeping generalizations though.
>>
>>77918372
Women are definitely capable of hands-and-fists kind of fighting and it tends to be a lot nastier than men because men need rules of engagement in a fight. There has to be ground rules and sportsmanship. Women don't have such ideas.

The flip side is that women seldom seriously injury each other in a brawl because they don't have the physical strength of men.
>>
>>77918434
Definitely.
"I know a girl who's like this, so naturally all girls are the same way".

But what else should we expect from 4chan.
>>
>>77916507
>No girl equivalent of bros
It's called, "me and my girls" or "my squad" (which boys can use too)
>Sjw agenda in muh cartoons
Fuck off
>If girls are close, they're lesbians, not friends
Confirmed for never leaving the basement
>>
>>77912353
because lesbians is more progressive
>>
it's also a widely-circulated feminist myth that women are incapable of rape or pedophilia when there's ample evidence to the contrary.
>>
>>77918494
Wrong. It's 100% fanservice because otherwise cartoons and comics wouldn't always show hot 10/10 girls screwing. They don't do it because nobody wants to see fat bulldykes going at it.
>>
>>77913143
>>77916929

I don't know about least enjoyable, but the idea of doing it again fills me with anxiety, myself.

I blame my ex. Or myself.
>>
>>77917725
>Yeah but woman and lesbians are more commonly accepted to this. Sure you have some occasional Sherlock and Wattson shipper or EdwardxJacob lover, but while the writers will simply say "Nah they're just bros" and let it be, writers of females cannot help but go out of their way and make female friendships completely gay, i.e. Korra and Asami, PB and Marceline, Pearl and Rose, ect.

Women and (obviously) gay dudes ofc like slash, but the main market for cartoons/comics is straight men so their fantasies are what's catered to.
>>
File: 1435989227539.jpg (47KB, 330x330px) Image search: [Google]
1435989227539.jpg
47KB, 330x330px
>>77918523
It's almost as if comics and cartoons are a fantasied world or something
>>
>>77918372
>women are just different then men
there's evidence that even a good chunk of the neurological differences between men and women is developmental. The parts of the brain most active/relied on are the ones you were trained to use in your upbringing.

It's a shame it'd be unethical because it'd be interesting to take about 500 kids and raise them all gender neutral, shaved heads tracksuits and everything. You'd have to control all the media they were exposed to as well
>>
>>77918523
making it dirty makes it fan service, making it boring is what makes it progressive.
>>
Do... do women even really exist? I don't think I've ever met one
>>
>>77918636
This is patently false; neurological studies show that men's and women's brains aren't even wired the same way.
>>
File: Horse4.jpg (16KB, 340x366px) Image search: [Google]
Horse4.jpg
16KB, 340x366px
>>77912353
hi
>>
>>77918636
That's fucking stupid and has been proved wrong hundreds of thousands of times.
It also smacks of the sick internalized self hatred that women have been taught by the feminist scumbags who want to keep them as easily manipulated slaves and eternal victims instead of self actuallized and realized individuals with their own truths and strengths.
>>
>>77918693
For one, the average adult male brain has around 60 billion neurons while the average adult female brain has about 25% fewer neurons. Also it's been shown that when stressed, the female brain has increased blood circulation to the area that deals with emotion while the male brain has increased circulation to the area that deals with logic and problem solving.
>>
>>77918693
>>77918815
all those studies are on adult brains, that have already developed. They are unable to refute my argument that it is possible to steer that development
>>
>>77918865
It's not merely a matter of brains, but the differences in physical abilities between men and women as well as hormonal levels.
>>
>>77912353
>At best it feels shallow and forced
Exactly like a real female friendship
>>
>>77918865
>all those studies
Fucking please, as though any of you are actually talking about any real studies. None of you could link anything close to a "study" supporting anything you are arguing on either side.
>>
>>77918947
shut up and start procuring children for my experiments
>>
Just to be clear, we are all trying as hard as we can to pretend my little pony doesn't exist in this thread right?
>>
With regards to the different natures of male and female fighting, I think that they can be explained by different desires. Men want to be perceived as strong and to promote the general strength of the group. Women want to be perceived as weak and to promote themselves. There is high comradery and bromance for men in the military, but much less comradery and sismance for girls in high school.
>>
>>77919111
We are talking about teenage girls and women, not about she-horse girls.
>>
>>77917152
SO Peppermint Patty and Marcie?
>>
>>77919111
That and Girl Meets World, two broke girls, and other live action stuff.
>>
>>77919111
I don't know, despite the show being about friendship, I don't think it's the friendships that are particularly compelling in that show, and MLP friendships really don't have much of a bromance character to them anyway.
>>
>>77919156
Women are always put under a microscope. That and they always have to prove something cause they are never taken seriously.
>>
>>77919164
Those two are good characters but they were just united by there hunger for Charles Brown
Helga and Phoebe had an actual rapport and character development
>>
>>77919204
Two Broke Girls fucking blows.
>>
>>77919232
the Pop Idol ep was so touching.
>>
>>77918730
how many horse pictures do you have?
>>
>>77912417
Those relationship exists because a lot of women are raised to be catty bitches mainly in today's superficial soiety, but genuine sister tier female friendship do exist.
>>
>>77919246
I guess. But there relationship is pretty close to bromance. There is also Pretty Little Liars minus Emily and Alice's relationship.
>>
>>77919256
Sisterhood of the traveling pants, Ya ya sisterhood, then and now.
>>
>>77917830
A woman wrote Soul Eater and another wrote Full Metal Alchemist, which are great in action and in themselves some decent comedy.

It's still rare, but it does happen.
>>
>>77916328
She hangs with a bitch crowd? My first set of female "friends" in High school when I moved to the US were awful and only talked about boys and called each other bitches. I decided to quietly ditch them and became a loner for a week until I found some nerdy girls that shared my interests and I've been friends with them ever since.
>>
>>77918030
They have that, it was that one show with Betty White a few years back which was kind of like Golden Girls.
>>
>>77917830
the sisterly bond in Lost Girl didn't have much drama once they started trusting each other. Bonus points for the lead being bi but never trying to tap her best friend.

Though I've only seen the first season.
>>
>>77918102
There used to be good female friendships in Our Colorful Horsie. Sadly that show has pretty much gone to pure shit.
>>
Are Star and Maroc only seen as friends or do they have a thing for each other? Kim possible was ruined for me the moment Ron started having feelings for Kim.

Why can't there be stories of a Boy and Girl relationship being just platonic?
>>
>>77912896
>women hate sex.
Yeeeeeah no.

>31
>still virgin
>current gf is a few years older, craving my cock
>I'm all for letting her jerk/suck me but I'm not ready to put it inside her, possibly due to waiting for marriage or whatever, not quite sure
>she's understanding but has flat out admitted the more I say I'm not ready, the more she aches to be fucked by me

She's probably cheating on me anyway, so that justifies my not wanting to put it in her. But to say women hate sex is retarded.
>>
All things considered I'm glad this thread went in the "bitches be crazy" direction instead of the gamergate one. Because the real answer to OP's question is that in order to have a "female bromance" you'd have to have two female characters on the screen at the same time and networks don't want to make that.

It's what Lauren Faust has been trying to tell you all for years. But if we talked about that we'd get into the Bechdel Test and I know that's right about when y'all start getting triggered hard.
>>
>>77919253
What do you mean, like how many gigabytes?
>>
>>77916381
They are both awful people, not surprised.

>>77917333
I think because most men like to just go alpha on each other and mostly like to resort to shouting and punching each other until the problem resorts itself however men will do the backstabbing to women just to avoid a confrontation with them.
>>
>>77918255
I think Korra had it kind of nice before fucking Bryke ruined it with that finale.

It's kind of sad that girls have to be so sexualized that even females in cartoons cannot be "friends" without being "Hot lesbians amirite XD", it's disgusting.

Manga and Anime do this a lot better I've noticed. Not just in Yuri manga but on the whole. I found female relationships in Sailor Moon and Madoka more believable than anything in Americuh cartoons.
>>
>>77919246
You know whats great though is Broad City and it makes that guys point just the same. Probably the best example of what OP is talking about on TV that I can think of.
>>
>>77919364

> But if we talked about that we'd get into the Bechdel Test and I know that's right about when y'all start getting triggered hard.

Because it's a worthless statistic at best and harmful for discussion at worst.

I agree that there's issue with female characters on network TV, but it can't be quantified with phrases like the Bechdel Test.
>>
>>77918434
What else can one go by? The science is still not there.

>>77918486
You know they're talking about depictions in media right? As in, TV and cartoons.
>>
File: b8.png (39KB, 675x659px) Image search: [Google]
b8.png
39KB, 675x659px
>>77919364
>>
>>77919390
Dude, the season 3 finale pretty much declared that Asami had a crush on Korra.
>>
>>77917253
Good to way to prove him wrong, by posting two catty bitches.
>>
>>77919426
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/animators/lauren-faust-pitching-tv-shows-for-girls-is-like-banging-my-head-against-the-wall-103539.html
>>
>>77918636
There's more brain difference between individual people than there are between gender. It doesn't mean there aren't obvious neurological differences. Most kids are taught equally and yet, generally and statistically speaking girls still learn to read faster than boys, but men tend to advance faster in STEM fields that require Spacial and advanced Mathematical reasoning. Men are just object-oriented like that, whereas woman are people-oriented.

You'd think with what they'd discovered woman would just have better friendships overall, for men and woman.

>>77918656
Not according to *sniff* le funny philosopher man *sniffff* they don't.
>>
>>77918636
Despite cultural differences, the same gender differences (Including brain differences and excelling in certain subjects) are found throughout all cultures. It doesn't matter if you're American, German, Russian or Japan. Woman read faster, guys somehow just "get" physics, ect.

I'm not saying that's a biological absolute or Nature always > Nuture, nor should we encourage biology as some kind of destiny. A woman applying herself in math even 1% more than her male peers can do just as well if not much better, but it doesn't happen because of "personality", our chemicals just kind of situate certain people to gravitate towards certain subjects. Just that due to differences it tends to happen. If Men and Women were the same genetically there would be very little point in the diversity that two different specimens bring together.
>>
>>77918815
And Elephants on average have bigger skulls and larger brains than humans, as well as more neurons naturally. What's you point? It's how specialized those brains are that counts. And specialization in the human subject only happens throughout development.
>>
>>77918984
>Implying
https://scholar.google.com/
>Multiple solutions required
Why do we have to fill out multiple fucking captchas now? As if doing one wasn't hard enough.
>>
>>77919227
Men don't know that they're keked in life from birth. Woman are under no such delusion.
>>
>>77919465
Women are more incline with social events but they are also less trusting. Most women put up a facade. It's only people who they trust that they show their true feelings. But most of the time unlike men women have to repress their negative emotions.

In most Media girls are never really taught how to express their emotions other than for their love interests. Its kind of what supergirl is talking about if you've ever seen that episode.
>>
>>77919344
Marco wants to bang Jackie, he doesn't see Star as a romantic partner and vice versa. The show creators have confirmed this themselves.

>Why can't there be stories of a Boy and Girl relationship being just platonic?
You're asking for something even rarer than what this topic thread is about.
>>
>>77919532
I believe the distribution of grey and white matter is different in men and women, which sort of explains why males and females excel in different things.
>>
>>77916846
I wish I expected anything different, but I didn't. /co/ has a loooooot of issues with women.
>>
>>77919514
Women don't go into STEM subjects because they are treated like shit once they get a job in the field. I should know one of the people I work with is always getting yelled at because she's not 'good' enough. She's actually brilliant and yet people expect more from woman in general. They are paid less as well and it does piss them off. It's man's man's man's world and sometimes it is too much for females,
>>
>>77919576
>Why can't there be stories of a Boy and Girl relationship being just platonic?
Oh don't even start this pseudo-scientific "white matter/grey matter" horseshit. I've had enough arguments to kneel over from autists debating autism that there's not really any concrete proof or objective scientific evidence that such matter or specialized brain cells leads to something like socializing or being "male-brained", like the nut Baron-Cohen suggests. It's as hacked together as the "Mirror Neuron" theory.

Not saying there's not specialized types of braincells.
Nor that men and woman don't have some brain differences.
But the white matter theory is horseshit and only serves to illuminate how little we know about the brain.
>>
>>77918815
>For one, the average adult male brain has around 60 billion neurons while the average adult female brain has about 25% fewer neurons.

Got a source to back that up? Because google ain't saying anything.
>>
>>77919564
As long as they keep him from Star and god forbid make Star not jealous, then I'll be happy. It's a fun show so far and I really like their broish chemistry.

I know it is, but that could be a good first step to better friendship shows in general.
>>
File: ghost-world-title1.gif (101KB, 450x234px) Image search: [Google]
ghost-world-title1.gif
101KB, 450x234px
I came here to mention Ghost World but realized it has the same problem as OP's characters. That is that it was over 20 years ago!

The fact the the best examples of female characters interacting with each other like human beings are more than two decades behind us is pretty fucking telling.
>>
>>77919640
*don't include the not.
>>
>>77919613
Hey this is just something I heard/read about. I'm not saying it's concrete; not even going to pretend I'm a neurologist. My area of expertise is head/neck and oncology.
>>
>>77919640
It's interesting to note that Star doesn't particularly care for relationshit, but she doesn't see any other boy as competition or care for feuding with other human earth girls either. She's a princess not really fed into much about Earth culture.

Marco however did kind of sperg out when he found out she was going to the blood moon ball with her Ex.
>>
>>77917725
Women are socialized to not show aggression openly. I think this kind of secretive backstabbing is shitty behaviour and I don't actually condone it, but it didn't emerge in a vacuum.
>>
>>77912353
Ironically, Anime and manga stuff about magic girls handle with this much better then 'murica comics and toons.
>>
>>77919670
I hope that's more like a big bro kind of feel. God just keep them as bros!
>>
>>77919655
It also doesn't help that both two main characters are horrible people and the whole series is about them learning to grow up and realize this.

It's like a comic about two Daria's so self-absorbed they cannot even see they're, well Daria.

>>77919663
On the whole, the differences between men and woman biologically are minute enough that culture and development plays a bigger difference than anything innate. Asian woman are probably going to be better at math than either gender of american students because their values just place a much higher emphasis on studying, education and improving oneself than America does.
>>
>>77919698
Is it weird that I kind of want Tom to play a bigger role and learn to Bro it up with Star? Not even get back together, just become friends again and total bros.

>>77919689
Revolutionary Girl Utean is like the holy grail of gud female friendship. And than you have Madoka and Zatch Bell, which are the holy grail of bad and unhealthy female relationships.
>>
>>77919437
neither were shown to be either catty or bitchy you retard
>>
>>77919709
>*Utena
Magic Knight Rayearth too. No lesbians, just a pretty good realistic depiction of girls becoming friends. It's not even sugar coated that they don't fight or have their differences, they just kind of work through them and have to get along.

Is it just me or are the captchas becoming basically impossible to work through? I can barely solve one of these blurry ugly messes, and now it's asking me to solve 3-4 in a row just to post.
>>
>>77919709
>culture and development plays a bigger difference than anything innate

If that's the case then I am honestly not surprised. Nurture is a very powerful thing.
>>
>>77919724
>Revolutionary Girl Utean
I always thought that it anime was about young girl who want to build Communism.
>>
>>77919724
That would be fun to watch! All of the awkward situations stuff is just getting old for me. Make them fuck shit up and do crazy things and just have them be young.

Ya know I really wanted Connie and Steven to be friends but as soon as I saw the Stevonnie ep I was like really upset, since its obvious they like each other after that awkward dip. (Also the Do it for him/her song wtf)
>>
>>77919709
If you're going to minimize biological differences between men and women to the point of meaninglessness, why not just claim outright that they don't exist? You have no evidence supporting either. What does it matter, in any case? Fiction is not a biology exam, but rather draws upon human behavior.
>>
>>77919764
Despite Tomoyo being in love with Sakura, I really loved their friendship.
>>
>>77919767
Anon, did you know that your very brain is shaped by language? The fact that you're self aware at all and even able to think about words or your name- that you're even able to THINK suggests a very special arrangement inside your brain, passed down and not biologically created. It's an arrangement that forms your psyche, self-awareness and even state of being that without, your brain would probably have developed physically indistinguishably from a wild animal.

Is true.
>>
>>77919793
Because I'm convinced they do exist, but they don't really matter. Anyone could probably bring up a lot of evidence from either side, but the issue is muddled enough that I'm inclined to believe the differences are just irrelevant, not non-existent. But saying they don't exist or denying them just feels like leaving something out.

It's the same with autism or mental illness. I don't doubt that "something" in the brain causes people to act and think differently. But cannot that be said for anything? It's the categories we draw, the ones that are socially learned that end up mattering, because we cannot really escape them. Nature can be outgrown, nuture cannot be forgotten. So it's important to emphasize and know just what is at stake in the brain's blueprint, however marginal.

>What does it matter, in any case? Fiction is not a biology exam, but rather draws upon human behavior.
Fiction both derives from experience with reality, and teaches it. I know it's hard to believe but from a young age people start to incorporate what they see into their minds and can mold and map their brains depending on everything they experience. That can include fiction, even simple cartoons. And the people that create, write and develop these media in turn are going off their experiences, it's a self-perpetuating cycle that can only be broken through rigorous examination.

I'm basically saying if there's something to it, anything to it we gotta be keen to that. Wouldn't you rather we know whether or not people think differently, just so we can work harder and circumnavigate those differences through society and our own individual wills?
>>
>>77919793
>Fiction is not a biology exam, but rather draws upon human behavior.
this is a surprisingly good point.
>>
>>77919884
That's, to me atleast, exactly why we have to study human behavior, so we're not defined by it. Even in fiction.
>>
>>77919655
It's worth noting that the characters from Daria and Ghost World both have very counter-cultural, cynical, and emotionless personalities. If those are "the best examples of female characters interacting with each other like human beings" then I would suggest that perhaps it is true that writers don't have a skewed perception of women after all.
>>
>>77919882
Do you create social change by lying about how things are, or do you use art as a means of criticizing how things are? To write girls as boys and boys as girls would essentially be to lie about things as they are. However, you can portray things how they are while also saying that this is wrong, like a novel which portrays the horrors of racism. I prefer this method. Actually reflecting the world as it exists today, it's more resonant with people who live in the world as it exists today, and ironically feels less intrusive because you feel as though you're being spoken to rather than the victim of an attempted hypnosis. If your message is so hard to sell that you have to censor reality in order to get it across, then you're exactly the kind of person who shouldn't be telling artists what to do.
>>
File: 20050831_amy_shelley.png (31KB, 567x263px) Image search: [Google]
20050831_amy_shelley.png
31KB, 567x263px
>>77916914
>what other /co/ have really strong friendships?

Gunnerkrigg Court : Antimony and Kat; Surma and Anja
Bad Machinery : Lottie and Shauna and Mildred
Scary Go Round : Shelley and Amy

Weaker example: Octopus Pie
>>
>>77919587
I feel like it's just an extremely vocal minority. I mean, I can understand having issues with feminism, but EVERYTHING that has a female lead isn't pandering to tumblr. EVERY woman in existence is not an emotionless demon hell bent on castrating every man. This kind of extremism is equally as stupid and irritating as SJWs.
>>
>>77916846
Every time I see "MGTOW" I get excited and think it has something to do with M:TG. Instead it's something nerdier and somehow more virginic.
>>
>>77920225
I someday hope to have a marriage that is half as good as Lottie and Shauna's friendship.
>>
>>77919724
>Revolutionary Girl Utean
Their relationship is little more then soft core lesbian porn.
The fuck?
>>
>>77912542
SETH MCFARLANE PLZ GO.
>>
>>77920219
I think the main thing is there's no scientific consensus on the male vs. female brain thing, if it exists and whatnot. There is general consensus that differences between individuals trump any differences between groups, so it's not really relevant for practical purposes and the discussion mostly only comes up when people have a bone to pick.
>>
>>77917080
You ever see some of the stuff they post on The Red Pill subreddit? It straddles the line between hilarious and horrifying.

As for myself I just don't like people, in general, so I never get mad at women for being different from men.
>>
>>77917101

Sounds like my roomate when he's on Skype. Somebody give me some rawhide to bite down on.
>>
You had your chance with Steven Universe, but the Sugar lady decided it should be about lesbians and relationship drama instead.

But let's be clear on the real problem. Most cartoons are made by men. Men are more comfortable writing male characters, and male relationships. Men generally see women as objects of affection, rather than objects of friendship, so they have a hard time writing female friendships because it's not a social situation they're exposed to regularly. I know I don't feel as comfortable writing female characters interacting.

That's the root of the problem, OP. No great mystery.
>>
>>77919882
>>77920505
I think that the question of "How much is nature and how much is nurture?" is a wrong one because it implies that the temporary end comes from a simple mathematical equation of two variables, when in fact the temporary end comes from several material conditions and events which are different from case to case and eventually lead up to the temporary end, and even if the temporary end did come from a simple mathematical equation of two variables, we would need some way of quantifying nature and nurture, and yet we have no means of doing so, practically or philosophically. The question should not be framed in a general, quantitative way but as several specific, qualitative questions. I think that should help un-muddle the muddled issue. That is, that discards the muddled issue.

As for whether or not "differences between individuals trump any differences between groups," that's just a distraction.

As to what effects biological sex has on behavior, it's clear that it has many effects on behavior and that male and female brains are differently made. To say that nurture can, at some unspecified time in life, make up for all or nearly all of that is not supported by evidence.

If you simply aren't aware of the evidence of biological differences, then I suggest you just do research.
>>
>>77919954
>counter-cultural, cynical, and emotionless
They were teenagers in the 90's. There wasn't enough culture to even be counter to and all that was left was embracing the void.
>>
>>77917101
How do British Muslims greet eachother?
'Ello 'ello akbar
>>
>>77913046
I think it's easier to write. 30yo male writers can't write good teen girls. So they stick to stereo types or write them like boys.
>>
>>77917894
>this MRA crap is a plague

I always love how someone brings them into a discussion that has nothing to do with them
>>
>>77920745
>If you simply aren't aware of the evidence of biological differences, then I suggest you just do research.

Holy shit bro, I've done a fuckton of research, and been to many conferences because of my profession. Neuroplasticity, the means by which the brain rewrites itself every night based on environmental stimuli, throws a giant fucking wrench into all of that bullshit.

Basically, to know for sure, you'd have to have a significant sample size of children for whom NO ONE has any idea what the fuck their gender is. Research shows that adults treat children very differently based on which gender they think the child is from the first moment of life. Even those very few cases where there's a male child raised as female because of a botched surgery or whatnot, the adults involved have been aware of the child's "true" gender; you'd need to remove that barrier.

The problem? When it comes to the experiments we'd need to do...doing so would be highly unethical, even evil, so we'll probably never know for sure, barring future advancements.

As for "that's just a distraction," no it's fucking not. When it come to filling jobs or whatever, have a gender blind test. If more of one gender than the other qualifies, so be it. Easy. Done. Most documented cases of this do lead to more women filling positions, the gender-blind orchestra stuff being the most obvious example. But if not? Then who cares, political correctness be damned.

The problem is a lot of people on the Internet go beyond that to condemning the entire other gender because they can't get laid. Just look at the basics, keep your feels out of it, and you'll be fine, capiche?
>>
>>77921383
I don't really think you thought through what they were saying. It's not that we need to over-analyze the differences between or men and women biologically or culturally or put people into formulas and equations and measure out these differences on a spreadsheet, because it'd be impossible to analyze humans that way when individuals are so drastically different. And brisk statements like "SOMETIMES men in general are prone to have a deposition towards being like this over women being like that a certain percent of the time over a finite quality of time to some abstract measure because of these factors, but only when in the condition that..." because it becomes a meaningless exercise in futility and like that anon said, can quickly come to a dead stop from different material conditions.

In other words "Are men and woman different?" Is a materialistically and philosophically empty question. And it's the "wrong" question. Are they different in what way, by whom, under what measure? It's as nuanced a question to ask as "What is a man?" and doesn't lend to any meaningful results, in other words it's a distraction from the real issue.

They're saying although we cannot eradicate the subtle and pragmatically inscrutable conditions that make man and woman different, we shouldn't even really try. That's kind of acknowledging and over-emphasizing the biological differences inherent in nature in the first place, when humans aren't a species that always goes "by nature." To understand this is to understand why we don't shit on the floor and sniff each others asses. And those differences are inherent most before development occurs, and before Neuroplasticity occurs.

The moment we acknowledge and accept innate differences as inevitable, is the moment we start to question ourselves and mold each other towards/away from gender differences. Once it's there, and we know, and the elephant is needlessly in the room there's just no getting around that, you know?
>>
>>77920635
>Men generally see women as objects of affection, rather than objects of friendship, so they have a hard time writing female friendships because it's not a social situation they're exposed to regularly. I know I don't feel as comfortable writing female characters interacting

I don't find it hard to write female friendships, I find it hard to write female friendships without insinuating that they lez out.
>>
>>77921517
>. And those differences are inherent most before development occurs, and before Neuroplasticity occurs.

Neuroplasticity begins to occur as the fetus forms in the womb, though. According to current research, anyway.

I'm not entirely certain what you're advocating. Individuals who have a weakness regarding needed skills should be given extra help towards perfecting those skills, of course. I suppose some awareness when it comes to remedial intervention would be helpful...although once again, we must act in accordance with each individual's strengths and weaknesses, not the broadest group tendencies, which are irrelevant.

Whether we like it or not, we are also moving towards something like the Singularity. Biological reproduction as it once was is already becoming unnecessary. Within our reach is the capacity to mold brains as we see fit. We can disregard minor differences between groups as a general tendency and create the beings we desire...making any tendencies of nature ever more irrelevant.

Nature is a chaotic, flawed, unguided process after all. Not something to be emulated.
>>
>>77919764
There's also Ojamajo Doremi
>>
I don't believe all women are ditzes or that they can't be smart or Machiavellian. Plenty are just that. The thing is, they prefer to be the power behind the throne. Men run everything while their wife gives them suggestions.
>>
Is it just because I'm a literally autistic girl from a family where all the women are engineers that none of these discussions make any fucking sense to me? Leave me alone with a book on physics, and I'm a happy camper.
>>
>>77921383
>because of a botched surgery
I wonder what kind of surgery that was?
>>
>>77921784
The problem is that biology has a lot to do with preventing women from being represented more in professional fields - pregnancy and childbearing require a huge amount of time and energy, something men never have to worry about.

Thus unlike men, women have a hard time reconciling a career with a family.
>>
>>77912353
You see tons of "bromances" everywhere but with female characters its often "Bechdel Tokenism".
>>
>>77921704
So true lol.
>>
File: hmm.png (605KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
hmm.png
605KB, 600x600px
>>77918372
Interesting, the only lesbian I know is my aunt and she's really sporty. Maybe you're on to something.
>>
>>77921813
What about the increasing number of women who never bother to have kids because they don't want kids? That's skyrocketing in all the Western countries.
>>
>>77921813
Kind of, but women also don't have the same social expectations as men. You need only be a housewife with 2-1/2 kids to be considered successful in life while a man must have a six figure salary/expensive house/expensive toys/be good at sports to be someone.
>>
>>77921804
Male circumcision is one. It's horrible.
>>
>>77921866
Professional women have kids alright, usually one sickly, weak autist when they're like 40.
>>
>>77921866

They usually don't get too far because they take up degrees in gender studies and other useless courses.
>>
>>77921870
My family is extremely Republican and women need to have at least a six figure income to be considered worthwhile human beings. Being a "housewife" is not an option unless you want to be shunned.
>>
>>77921886
Eh plenty of people with shit degrees end up in executive positions because of who they know. Which is all that really matters.
>>
>>77921896
If you live in a gated white suburb where everyone's a doctor or real estate tycoon, sure. Women are expected to be like Charlotte Pickles. In a lower middle class, blue collar neighborhood it's more normal to be a housewife.
>>
>>77921913
My dad said that the frat boys and partyfags he knew in college usually became CEOs.
>>
File: 49-stand-by-me-full.jpg (203KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
49-stand-by-me-full.jpg
203KB, 1000x1500px
Isn't male friendships and bonding seen as a stand in for latent homosexual behavior nowadays?
>>
File: 1295659036687.jpg (131KB, 600x438px) Image search: [Google]
1295659036687.jpg
131KB, 600x438px
>Females being bros
Easy to find if you look hard enough. Anime and manga and the such are ripe with it.

Do you know what's nearly impossible to find? Guy and girl friendship, no sexual bullshit in the middle, just bros being bros despite one having a vagoo and the other a pee pee.
>>
>>77921959

Elementary is pretty good for that, mostly because if they ever had Sherlock and Watson ever bang it would be pretty wrong since she's his drug counselor.
>>
>>77921959
> no sexual bullshit in the middle, just bros being bros despite one having a vagoo and the other a pee pee.
My mind keeps telling me this is quite common, but I can't think of anything.
>>
File: Lisa+Sherri+Terri+Janey.jpg (41KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
Lisa+Sherri+Terri+Janey.jpg
41KB, 512x384px
>>77921303
See how Lisa has no permanent friends because they just can't write decent stories about a little girl.
>>
>>77922025
Eh, they used to. Same with Bart

I liked the Tell-tale Heart episode, but that girl never really stuck around
>>
File: 1444038663579.png (1009KB, 802x901px) Image search: [Google]
1444038663579.png
1009KB, 802x901px
>>77912833
While you are correct, you have also said terrible things that are wrong.

There are many points within your post i would like to address but I'll only touch upon two:

>often involving death and sacrifice instead of sex

the error here is in assuming that death and sacrifice replace sex, which makes sex the metric by which any sort of relationship is measured.

>Ordinary friendships are not good drama

but then you go on to say:

>For a dramatic narrative, your best friend is either going to betray you, die for you, or fall in love with you.

so the above is good drama?

If your goal is to condemn drama then well done, if you are trying to say that drama is essential and that this is how a character has to work then you dun fucked up cunt.
>>
>>77921922

I do live in such a place, so I guess it's true. Women who don't become doctors, CEO engineers, or high paying lawyers are constantly shit on. Guess I have no idea how it works for blue collar workers.

Just shedding some light on how women who don't make six figures are shit on. For the upper classes? Your gender doesn't matter. You'd better make at least six figures, or you are fucked, my friend.

Child rearing is done by servants, anyway. ALL child rearing.
>>
>>77912353
A couple cartoons do yuri baiting and suddenly people think it's everywhere
>>
>>77918129
>That was before it went completely disgusting pandering to horny losers and alienated everyone who wasn't a emotionally and sexually jaded creep like american comic and cartoon lovers.

Funnily enough, your average haremshit has plenty of what OP is mentioning. Girls just being friends with each other. A nice consequence of having female-heavy casts.

Shame that most of /co/ has been brainwashed and never takes off the nostalgia googles so they think all anime past the nineties is shit unless it's MANIME or whatever buzzword is used nowadays.
>>
>>77919364
>y'all
Why do people type with an accent?
>>
>>77922040
Blue collar workers are a completely different story due to the physicality of those jobs. Women can be a lawyer or a journalist alright, trying to clean a sewer or nail tiles to a roof in 100 degree heat is not for them.
>>
>>77922068
Don't know about you mate but I tend to type things as I think them when I'm in conversation.

Obviously formal things are an entirely different matter.
>>
>>77921922
>>77922040
Gee, it's almost like things work differently in different places and what you have down there is surprisingly enough not an universal measure stick for everything.
>>
>>77922032
Emphasis on "permanent friends", not characters who disappear after one episode.
>>
>>77922088
Well this is what I mean. They had perfectly good chances to give Lisa friends. Actual friends with established personalities.

It has nothing to do with them not knowing how to write a story and everything to do with them forcing a status quo
>>
Why do men suck at writing women?
>>
>>77922087
Class >>>>>>>> gender and has for a long time. If you're born filthy rich you don't give a fuck, you know? Same thing with race and everything else. That's for the poors to fight each other and squabble over.
>>
>>77922124
Hard to do without writing them primarily based on your fetishes.
>>
File: 640px-Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png (25KB, 640x389px) Image search: [Google]
640px-Annoyed-facepalm-picard-l.png
25KB, 640x389px
>>77922110
Lisa is supposed to be an anti-social aspie who can't relate to other kids. It's one of her defining personality traits ever since Moaning Lisa.
>>
>>77917725
>Men backstabbing each other don't have to pretend to be polite about it in good company, especially to each other. It's usually more like a front to front stabbing. Woman seem incapable of just being upfront about that kind of thing however.

Nah. I've known some men who are backstabbing kings that could give starscream lessons and women who are right upfront alphas. Backstabbing tatics aren't gender specific.

Not to mention the backstabbers that are good at it are polite about it to your face, it's part of the skill set.
>>
>>77919724
>Zatch Bell
What? Where?
>>
>>77922172
Yeah, I've known some damn obviously duplicitous male and female backstabbers both. People are dicks, end of story.
>>
>>77922172
>Nah. I've known some men who are backstabbing kings that could give starscream lessons and women who are right upfront alphas. Backstabbing tatics aren't gender specific.
That's the thing though. They are the exception to the rule.

Men tend to be upfront and women like to scheme behind the scenes. If a man backstabs someone is because he has one goddamn good reason to do so, plenty of benefits to reap or it's simply something just one good hit to the face won't resolve. There's reason and purpose and thought put behind the backstab. Bitches just backstab on a whimsy and flimsy reason.

>Not to mention the backstabbers that are good at it are polite about it to your face, it's part of the skill set.
That's the best part. When you rub it on their face and they can't literally do anything about it. Feels good man.
>>
>>77922207
>Men tend to be upfront and women like to scheme behind the scenes

>>77921784
>>
>>77920225
All webcomics?
>>
>>77922207

Exceptions to your rule maybe. History is full of men who weren't upfront about it. Hell modern politics is example enough.
>>
>>77922207
Anecdotal but the people I've known who"scheme behind the scenes" most have happened to be men; think Littlefinger. Really, I think it depends, but I don't think there's a huge gender gap here. There's a pretty big class gap, though.

We should try to make this shit a thing of the past, really.
>>
>>77922264
>Really, I think it depends, but I don't think there's a huge gender gap here. There's a pretty big class gap, though

It's both a gender and a class gap all at once. Women don't have the physical abilities for manual labor, so blue collar jobs are almost all male-dominated while white collar professions are more gender-neutral.
>>
>>77921786
What about the men in your family?
>>
>Have primarily female friends
>Get to see inside their relationships with their female friends
>Most are either catty and willing to destroy their friendship through passive aggression over nothing
>Some view their closest friends as competition or secretly hate them for being more attractive or some stupid thing like out of Jane Austen
>The only ones who seem to form legitimate friendships with other women are tomboys and lesbians
Goddamn though they are some of the most bro-tier friends though
>>
>>77922297

True, and fair enough. Maybe someday all these different jobs will be valued more equally; what you've described is part of the practical reason for male wages to dip more sharply, you know? Blue collar jobs moved offshore or automated...actually hurt men more than women.

Do you think egalitarianism has a chance? Just valuing people for being people.
>>
Women also instinctively enjoy caring for a small, helpless creature which explains why they're rarely into fields like engineering that have little to no opportunity for that.
>>
>>77922342

Ironically there are way more house husbands here than housewives, but it is much the same. Ideally both should have six figure incomes and have kids raised by servants. Practically, there are a whole lot of house husbands who don't get nearly enough respect for all the hard, gruelling, important work they do. That's simply how it worked out in our case.

But it's awful! The house husbands I know and love in my family work really hard, but get shit. No housewives here, incidentally, but I'm sure they'd get suit, too. Your value is what it is on the market, nothing more or less.
>>
>>77922110
>>77922025
Most of the loli characters on the Simpsons like S&T and Janey are one-note background filler so it's hard to really do anything with them.
>>
>>77912542
I don't usually agree with sweeping stereotypes but I've never seen women (of any age) develop more than tangential friendships. It must be because of how females are raised and thus rarely portrayed properly.

Many girls feel more at ease with male "friends" which they eventually fuck, and now that gay people are open about it, lots swear by their gay friend.

It never gets as brotherly as with bros. Bros can develop a stronger than blood bond where no matter where your friend is and no matter that you see him once a year, he's always your friend and you'd give a kidney for him. I don't miss my exs at all, but I really do miss seeing my best friend.
>>
>>77922416
What about cheating? How often does it happen, and who's the cheater?
>>
>>77922501
Schopenhauer didn't think women were capable of friendship anyway.
>>
>>77922501
>I don't usually agree with sweeping stereotypes but I've never seen women (of any age) develop more than tangential friendships

When they're little girls, they can pull it off but it seems like the ability to make actual friendships disappears at puberty.
>>
>>77922483
I could probably give them fleshed-out personas with a little bit of effort.
>>
>>77922412
>Women also instinctively enjoy caring for a small, helpless creature
Unrelated and kind of a blog, but I've seen a video about rabbit farms and there was a woman handling these newborn rabbits and throwing them in the trash, still alive, saying that "there are too many of these, we don't need them."
There was this huge trashcan full of these fetuses squirming, and a grown rabbit (injured) who was basically waiting to die, sitting on top of who knows how many of these dead rabbits. I can't get that image out of my head to this day, I became vegetarian and all and the whole thing made me really depressed.
Very shortly after I've been at a baptism and there was all this talk about life being sacred and "a miracle" it was making me so disgusted. I never had so much hatred towards humanity as a whole in my life. I'm thinking more positively now but it was tough.
>>
>>77922639
S&T maybe, but Janey has precious little to work with for character traits you could expand on.
>>
>>77922649
>>>/peta/
>>
TODAY I WILL REMIND THEM
>>
>>77912542
>>77912753
Both my older sisters have friends.
The oldest is the most social member of the family.
Second oldest has been friends with the same girl since high school.
Throughout high school I saw plenty of strong friendships between girls that didn't seem forced at all.
I have no fucking idea what you guys are talking about.
>>
>>77922659
Yeah there's a good reason the writers didn't do anything more with her.
>>
>>77922684
My exgf had a close female friend that was much cooler and cuter than her and that's it.
I should have dated her friend
>>
>>77922659
I dunno. I thought up a whole bunch of stuff for the Chinese baby and she had no "traits" in the show other than randomly grabbing Homer's eyeballs.
>>
>>77922649
we are all just garbage people living on a nightmare planet
>>
>>77919360

>31
>still virgin

>even spending time with someone who could cause you to lose your fabulous wizard powers and fuck up your chances of becoming an archmage
>>
>>77922718
not if she's a sworn wizard too
they exist
>I'm typing from the computer of another card carrying gold star grand wizard of 31
>>
>>77922714
Yeah but trying to imagine what Ling would be like when she's older is actually pretty damn easy since you can just exploit the "smart nerd Asian" stereotype. Besides, Changing of the Guardian sort of implied she's a gifted child.

Janey just has nothing there to grab onto.
>>
>>77922754
>Besides, Changing of the Guardian sort of implied she's a gifted child

But is she a gem child.
>>
>>77922792
Let's not have that, shall we?
>>
File: tumblr_me2krxj0b21ql4wx4o1_500.png (163KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_me2krxj0b21ql4wx4o1_500.png
163KB, 500x374px
>>77916914
Please don't kill me.
>>77919204
Disney Channel have an obsession of making 'two best girl friends' shows, for example Shake It Up, Best Friends Whenever, etc.

>>77919344
>Kim possible was ruined for me the moment Ron started having feelings for Kim.
As for me their romance is the best thing ever made.
>>
>>77922679
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that disaster happened was less because it was an all-female office, and more because too soft as a boss.

Iron-fisted asshole bosses exist for a reason
>>
>>77916914
I was gonna say As Told by Ginger but most of her friends are cunts
>>
>>77922718
>>77922730

I wish wizard powers were a real thing and not just a joke on the internet.
>>
>>77922501
Eh, it's true somewhat (cannot get along with the majority of other girls that I encounter that aren't family but getting along with guys is easy as pie) but that's how I feel about my best friend and now that she has a baby been really lamenting the loss of our time spent together being carefree young adults. Gets me sad thinking about how we would write on the bus seats we rode on and argue over dumb stuff while riding scooters. Then we fought over a boy in middle school, got over that, and a bunch of other shit that will only make me more nostalgic so I'm not gonna type it out. Childhood, adolescence and now early adulthood together... But she's happy as hell with her cute baby and that makes me happy for her so it's a bittersweet feel.

Just popped in to tell /co/ that although legit friendships are rare between women it doesn't mean they don't exist at all. And when it's there it's pretty real.
>>
File: 13885524313451.jpg (180KB, 500x477px) Image search: [Google]
13885524313451.jpg
180KB, 500x477px
>>77917532
>You'd be surprised at how many of these posts are from women
And how would you know that?? Everyone is fucking anonymous here! How do you come to just fucking knowing that?!
>>
>>77912353
bullshit. i know some very strong girl-girl friendships and they had also sex together. they just don't talk about it because fuck you people have privacy
>>
>>77912542
thats not true
>>
>>77915659
>Yurifags only watch "pure love" shit
Betas everyone.
>>
File: man that is stupid.jpg (183KB, 1206x521px) Image search: [Google]
man that is stupid.jpg
183KB, 1206x521px
>this thread
>>
>>77925487
You can always be her baby's cool aunt, every kid needs a cool aunt or uncle.
No need to be so pessimistic, "bro"
>>
>>77925487
I have a very defined line between 'acquaintance' and 'friend', and even then I''m the furthest from Machiavellian asshole.

Dudes in this thread are just noticing psycho manipulative girls more because they tend to be more attention-seeking and noticeable. Anyone who has a close female friend rather than a casual friendship or passing acquaintance probably already knows that though.
>>
>>77918537
Did you at least nut?
because I fucking didn't
>>
>>77927017
It's actually been pretty fun
>>
File: 1448407873274.png (446KB, 711x403px) Image search: [Google]
1448407873274.png
446KB, 711x403px
Eva&Ami are pretty great
>>
>>77930480
I watched only Wakfuck.
>>
>>77930579
You missed nothing.
>>
IT'S NOW OFFICIALLY FRIDAY NIGHT

From now on it's literally impossible for a girl to post in this thread
>>
The thing you notice with children is that little girls don't have role models. A 10 year old boy will admire some athlete or an astronaut or an action movie star and want to be them when they grow up. You don't see girls do this. Females don't look up to other females, they see them only as competition.
>>
>>77932039
>A 10 year old boy will admire some athlete or an astronaut or an action movie star and want to be them when they grow up

There are guys out there that do that?
>>
File: 1448957217979.png (127KB, 444x495px) Image search: [Google]
1448957217979.png
127KB, 444x495px
>This thread:
>Hurr durr men and women are exactly alike it's just cartoons making womyn look bad our brains are the same my womens studies class said so

Educate yourself on some neurobiology bubs:
http://www.cerebromente.org.br/n11/mente/eisntein/cerebro-homens.html

That being said female-female friendships are extremely cute and we don't have many of them because most cartoon writers are male.
>>
>>77932039
That's kind of funny, because when I was a boy I looked up to most women as role models, or had them as my RM mostly. Some men, but a lot of grills.

Maybe girls just don't see rolemodels in either gender very meaningful?
>>
>>77932090
>That being said female-female friendships are extremely cute

True but it's damn hard to write them without implying that they lez out.
>>
Also all the "girls" ITT are fake, by which I mean they're all fat sweaty neckbeards posings as girls.

Except Rebecca Sugar, she's legit posting anonymously in here.
>>
femanon here

>inb4 attentionwhore

i'll just leave this quick thing here and leave

I was always a bit of an autist with no social skills (its why i'm on 4chan) which explains why I had such a difficult time maintaining friendships.

My childhood friends eventually were no longer interested in toys and cartoons and grew up to have no common interests as me

My high school best friend was the first real bestie I had and she eventually found other girls who were more fun with bigger social circles (ie. funny gay bros, cute guys in rock bands, fun parties) which I had no access to impress her with. Eventually, she stopped being friends with me because I was such a autistic loser. I was really scrambling to save that friendship but it ended up scaring her off.

I lost my other friends because they went to different colleges, became different people.

I tried making a college bestie but later found out the girl I was trying to work a friendship with was only happy when everyone agreed with her. She was basically the boss bitch with a massive ego and even her intellectual atheist boyfriend would concede to her very conservative christian ways. I tried to make it work for 2 years and decided fuck this, i'll make other friends

I joined a martial arts club and became friends with those guys but once again, autism struck and I managed lose them the 2nd year I tried to hang out with them.

Couldn't make friends with guys at all. They always try to make it into something more.

i was really depressed for awhile. Friendship are supposed to be forever. It's not like romantic relationships, you expect those not to last. I found this book that was specifically about friendships and maintaining them and the author boiled it down to this: People change and they might grow sick of you and find other people to become friends with. That's life.
>>
>>77932196
Hey, girls can be fat sweaty NEETS too anon
>>
>>77932237
>femanon here
>inb4 attentionwhore

That's ok, Rebecca. We know. Have you got any new Ed, Edd, and Eddy slash to share with us?
>>
>>77932196
>Except Rebecca Sugar, she's legit posting anonymously in here.

And Lauren Faust. And Tara Strong. They also hang out on /co/ anonymously.
>>
Women tend to be emotion rather than reason-driven creatures, but not always. My sister is a pretty calm, collected, grounded person while my mom is spastic and prone to irrational dramatics.
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 31

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.