[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come she never got any significant character development

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: Ms Hoover.jpg (63KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Ms Hoover.jpg
63KB, 640x480px
How come she never got any significant character development like Mrs. Krabappel? Even Lisa's classroom has just random nobody kids other than Ralph.
>>
???

IDK. Guess the writers just didn't find her an interesting character.
>>
Maybe they felt they got enough of that with Bart's side.
What does another checked out middle aged teacher really add?
>>
She didn't do much beside be bland and smoke.
>>
>>77861596
Most likely explanation.
>>
File: Hellroads_teacher.png (413KB, 444x999px) Image search: [Google]
Hellroads_teacher.png
413KB, 444x999px
Because there's a far sexier teacher whose into /ss/
>>
>>77861675
And her exchanges with Ralph. Classic.
>>
>>77861071
Who really wants to see a Lisa & Hoover episode?

Like seriously, I don't think even the people who made this show great could've done chemistry between those two well at all.
>>
>>77862055
Lisa in general doesn't have good interactions with anyone in her class as Bart does.
>>
File: ITA.png (336KB, 469x700px) Image search: [Google]
ITA.png
336KB, 469x700px
Her and Lisa don't exactly clash and conflict in the same way Krabappel and Bart did.
>>
Tbh none of Maggie Roswell's characters are that good.
>>
Because Lisa has to be the most important, intelligent, and morally right person in the damn room. So Hoover is shit out of luck sadly
>>
Because you can't /ss/ with her like you can Bart and Mrs. K.
>>
To be perfectly honest, an A or B story around Miss Hoover really doesn't sound that bad. Only concern is that, although distinct enough of a character, there's the potential to overlap story wise with stuff already covered by Edna (depressed single teacher in want of a man), who's already somewhat overlapping with Selma.
>>
>>77861071
Lisa doesn't have any conflicts with Hoover, but Bart and Krabappel had an antagonistic relationship that they explored over several episodes (like the Gordie Howe one) until she became a fully fleshed out character.

For a while though she was still a one-note character as the town's desperate cougar.
>>
>>77862407
>>77862401
See, that's the point. Mrs K and Selma kind of overlap in their roles.
>>
I'm not too sure about Miss Hoover, she's always been a "stereotypical" minor character, just used to underline the drudgery of teaching at Springfield E. As has already been mentioned, she has been portrayed as having similar characteristics to Edna, but then again this could be used as an opportunity to show some of her hidden characteristics and introduce us to a 'new' character. I'd certainly rather see a more 'regular' character like Miss Hoover get some episode time, rather than the increasing use of the Yes guy, the Cat lady and to a certain extent the Sea captain...although maybe this guy deserves an episode ?
>>
>>77862401
Miss Hoover doesn't seem that old. Maybe she's pretty wild when she's outside the school.
>>
>>77862135
That's because the majority of Lisa's class was never really fleshed out.

I honestly don't know why they never really did this, but I'd have at least appreciated the effort on that front.
>>
>>77862900
Like I said, there's nobody except Ralph who only had one episode centered around him as opposed to the multiple Milhouse/Nelson episodes.
>>
>>77862949
Precisely. What I was getting at was that they could have consistently fleshed out someone else in Lisa's class if they wanted to, and I would have at least appreciated the effort regardless of the tentative results.
>>
File: R8Tu8hM.jpg (68KB, 1249x707px) Image search: [Google]
R8Tu8hM.jpg
68KB, 1249x707px
>"No"
>>
Always struck me as a missed opportunity not to develop some of Lisa's classmates beyond Ralph and Janey. Instead they've taken to lumping Lisa in to group scenes with the 4th graders from Bart's class.
>>
>>77863012
It's hard to write episodes around secondary characters, especially one like Ralph. But he's still around whenever necessary to provide a bit of humor.

Janey is not a character, she's just filler for when the script requires Lisa to talk to another girl (the writers even said that on one of the DVD commentaries). There's no point in developing Janey, unless they can do something interesting with her, because she has no defining characteristic other than giving Lisa someone to talk to.
>>
>>77863012
I agree.

It feels really unfair if I let myself dwell on it too long.

Remember Alex? She and Lisa coulda been serious friends after her debut, but then nothing. Even Janey hasn't really been focused on. In fact, she's even shown 'teasing' Lisa in some of the later episodes...
>>
janey coulda been lisa's milhouse, i tells ya
>>
Janey's the black one right? They could do some great BLM story using that.
>>
>>77863085
>>77863071
>>77863101
Allison had a lot more potential for that role, but she wasn't voiced by a regular cast member so they couldn't really use her again.
>>
>>77862850
She does drive a red convertible, so there would be some precedent for such a characterisation.
>>
I thought part of her character was that she was hopelessly bland. I makes jokes like "independent thought alarm" and "complete and utter disinterest in the job" easier.
>>
>>77863085
too bad that simpsons writers arent interested in lisa enough to gave her friends...
>>
File: 1391979559177.gif (307KB, 200x100px) Image search: [Google]
1391979559177.gif
307KB, 200x100px
>>77863101
>They could do some great BLM story using that.
Really? Fucking really?
>>
>>77863141
ya rly
Janey and Lisa could square off in a showdown
>>
>>77863085
That was the impression I had way early on, which is why her apparently being considered naught more than "filler", even straight up by the writers, makes it all feel like a missed opportunity. Especially for Lisa.
>>
>>77863140
They're interested enough to remember that her unpopularity is a running gag, like her vegetarianism.
>>
>>77863071
>Janey is not a character, she's just filler for when the script requires Lisa to talk to another girl (the writers even said that on one of the DVD commentaries)

That was the commentary for My Sister, My Sitter, right?
>>
File: 1423724539575.jpg (437KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1423724539575.jpg
437KB, 5000x5000px
>>77863155
Am I the only one around who recognizes how stupid everything you said is? Am I the only one who can see your post at all? Has everyone else been killed and replaced by people just as stupid as you?
>>
>>77863126
>Allison

My bad. Thought her name was Alex. But yeah, she was the one I was talking about earlier here >>77863078.

>>77863140
>to gave her friends...

They give her friends, just not permanent or consistent ones.
>>
>>77863177
You know, I think it was.
>>
>>77861071
Half the time Ralph is in Bart's class, and Sherri/Terri are in Lisa's
>>
>>77863206
>Half the time Ralph is in Bart's class, and Sherri/Terri are in Lisa's

Didn't realize this, but yes!

Do they still do that?
>>
>>77863126
Then again, Mary Shit-I mean Spuckler was not voiced by the regular cast either, yet they...
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.