[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would the X Men work better in it's own, separate universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (950KB, 2000x1037px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
950KB, 2000x1037px
Feel free to disagree with me, but mutants never really meshed well with the rest of the Marvel Universe in my opinion and frankly there's enough material there for it to stand alone. What are your thoughts?
>>
If this was 4 years ago, I would say I would like all the female heroes to exist in the same world.

But seeing how Marvel has gone down of late...
>>
No goddammit
>>
>>77797205

No.

The whole point of mutants is that people irrationally hate them. It's not a stand in for race or sexuality or anything like that. It represents every single stupid impulse people have.

That's why they work in a larger universe. People are afraid of them when Iron Man could do more damage in an hour than the Xmen could do in a day.

In fact, The Xmen could work better in DC, where the power level means people being afraid of mutants is especially silly.
>>
>>77797205
The X-men works fine separate from the rest of the MCU, but it still serves to work within the universe as well.

I mean in terms of it's own universe it would just allow for the aspect of of you are or aren't mutant no question about it and creates a rational fear of the unknown for the humans .

As for in the main body of the MCU it still works because mutants are toted as the possible next evolutionary scale of humans, and the humans hate being told they are obsolete and are more afraid of the mutant gene being a disease instead of an evolution
>>
>>77797205
Yes and no.

The whole concept of mutants always made no sense to me when we have Spider-Man, Captain America, and other powered humans who are viewed as heroes when mutants are treated as shit by the Marvel people.

While having the majority of mutants in their own universe would be fine, a lot of the key members are important to other Marvel franchises. Wolverine, Storm, Magneto, Right-man, and others cross into other stories so much.

Marvel should have made it where other heroes outed themselves as non-mutants to have a proper split.
>>
>>77797538
well there are the occasional heroes that once outed as mutants immediately get hate from the general public, it works with the overall mutant narrative. Also I can see the concern humans may have when they are told it's a possible evolution they may gain but then end up looking like Beast, or being like Rogue and not being able to have an normal life
>>
>Objective Fact: comic books that aren't in the Marvel Universe have lower sales than comics that are in the Marvel Universe
Splitting them means lowering profits, and Marvel isn't interested in your shitty ideas for lowering profits.
>>
>>77797589
Mutant evolution is a bitch, ain't it?
>>
>>77797589

Beast fucked himself up
>>
>>77797671
well mutant evolution can be a bitch when it gives you physical changes or causes something uncontrollable.
I mean Scott constantly shoots a concussive blast from his eyes unless they are closed or blocked with a special visor, and Kurt looks like a demon from the bible.

However there is the up side when you have a power like Storm's or even like Piotr's where you can turn your powers on and off at will.

>>77797683
Beast makes a lot of mistakes, still one of my favorite mutants
>>
File: x-men_god loves man kills.jpg (146KB, 600x784px) Image search: [Google]
x-men_god loves man kills.jpg
146KB, 600x784px
>>77797205
Chris Claremont actually already tried putting mutants in their own "universe"... The "God Loves, Man Kills" graphic novel was conceptualized and written as an "Elseworlds" style book, set in a world where other superheroes don't exist. (Claremont says so in an interview reproduced in later editions of the book.) It was only later that the events in the book were somehow folded into the main X-continuity.

Anyway, "God Loves, Man Kills" is a working demonstration that placing Marvel's mutants in their own, separate world and setting can work, at least creatively.

But when you think about it, the X-books have always been in their own bubble, since at least the late 1980s or so. The rest of the Marvel Universe only ever intruded into the X-books when it was to serve as a plot convenience, or for crossover/marketing purposes. Marking off the mutant-side of the MU in an official capacity probably wouldn't change much. (I'm saying this as someone who hasn't really kept up with the X-books, or Marvel's stuff in general, for the past ten years or so, though, so maybe my opinions and observations are way out of date.)
>>
>>77797205
It could, and it could also work in a universe with not as many non-mutant heroes. Like say there's a universe where the X-Men and other mutants are prominent and the Fantastic Four never came to be (or are more like that one Byrne What If where they never got powers) and the only non-mutant heroes are Spider-Man, Hulk, Namor, Doctor Strange, Silver Surfer, and Iron Man.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.