[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So he's easily one of the best writers in comics. You've

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 11

File: 31BVg3YCzZL._UX250_.jpg (13KB, 250x295px) Image search: [Google]
31BVg3YCzZL._UX250_.jpg
13KB, 250x295px
So he's easily one of the best writers in comics. You've been at this for almost ten years, /co/.

But everywhere else, everyone loves his work, it sells like crazy, and you're still just the whiny, obsolete minority that hates him.

How does it feel to have lost this battle?
>>
>>77796465

Look, I love Torso, Alias, and his Daredevil work, and just want him to write stuff like that again instead of the stuff he's currently doing. IS THAT SO WRONG?
>>
Smug, because we all know that he's gonna fuck up a story again and everyone will be in anguish and claim he's good again when his next book starts.

I used to be a Bendis fan. Then Siege happeneed.
>>
>>77796465
I'm not Jew. I already won.
>>
>>77796490
yeah that's wrong. stop having an opinion
>>
But muh Star-Lord

But muh Iceman

But muh Marvel
>>
>>77796492
>Siege
>Bad

He went bad after AvX. Nygaar
>>
>>77796553
No, he definately went bad at Siege. A full year of buildup with Norman Osborn and he gets taken out the most anticlimatic way.
>>
>>77796465
Nah /co/ is just contrarian as fuck so whatever does well needs to be hellish here.

Ironman is really fucking good so far.
>>
What baffles me is that /co/ usually doesn't have real complains about his books. they nitpick everything. there's also a lot of fanboyism involved in their criticism. They are no better than those of comic book pages, the only difference being that /co/ is destructive while comic journalism is shilling.
>>
>>77796568
You said that after his first Old Man Logan issue.
>>
>>77796567
Sentry arc was so fucking good though. And I wouldn't call Osborn taken out was bad. It was just okay.
>>
>>77796585
I didn't read old man logan.

I don't think he's flawless or anything. I hated moon knight, I just don't think he's the worst thing to ever happen to comics.
>>
>>77796490
Crazy to think Bendis used to be an indie superstar when now he's the complete opposite, a shameless corporate lackey.
>>
>>77796619

Bendis needs a book at Image or something. An original, non-Powers thing.

(Does anyone read Powers anymore?)
>>
>>77796619
>shameless corporate lackey.

He runs way too much shit to be a lackey at this point. also: The idea that someone needs to be a shameless lackey in this industry is hilarious. as if there is a position as writer that allows you to be some rebellious "fuck the big two, man!" icon that gets books out and does whatever they want.

Grow up. it's entertainment, not journalism.
>>
>>77796636
He's busy doing everything at Marvel. No one really believes he just writes there. He must have some kind of behind the scenes job we don't know about.
>>
>>77796665

I wouldn't be surprised if he was the real CCO of the company and not Quesada. (In practice, not name).

Now that I think of it, Quesada moved up the ranks pretty quickly didn't he? It took him what, 10 years from his debut there to becoming editor in chief?

Though Quesada loves Morrison, so I can't complain.
>>
>>77796665
When will they make him CCO of Marvel?
>>
>>77796490
Alias was garbage.
>>
>>77796465
You mean Bendis? Brian Michael Benis? That Bendis?
>>
>>77796708
>benis
heh.
>>
Who, Bendis?
>>
>>77796708
please. bendis-speak is so over played and it's been slowly put out of phase in his recent work anyway.
>>
>>77796727
Victor Von Doom?
>>
>>77796727
People don't even do it right anyway, I'm pretty sure most Bendisposters haven't read a single Bendis comic in their lives.
>>
>>77796720
Yeah, what about him?
>>
>>77796778
That Bendis?
>>
>>77796797
ooga chaka ooga chaka ooga ooga ooga chaka.
>>
>>77796568
>Ironman is really fucking good so far.

Maybe if you're illiterate and just look at the pretty pictures
>>
>>77796579
the way he writes dialogue is fucking awful. the rest i don't really mind but once he starts winding up a witty back and forth i wanna find out where he lives and break his hands for doing it once again.
>>
>>77796465
Bendis? The writer?
>>
I grew up being a bendis reader when powers was first coming out. It hits me pretty hard to know he doesn't put out quality books anymore. dude phones it in so hard.

fuck the back half of his avengers run was just them eating chinese food or talking to a journalist or some shit like that. All due to Bendis' lack of long-term planning
>>
File: 30ixph0.gif (4KB, 473x211px) Image search: [Google]
30ixph0.gif
4KB, 473x211px
>>77796591
This.
I can't really get mad at OP because Bendis Sentry was actually really good and true to the core character. At least what I took away from Jenkins as being the core character, Sentry has as many different interpretations as he does origins.
>>
>>77796952
Yeah, Brian Michael Bendis.
>>
>>77796957
Avengers is where I gave up. Shit was so bad, i couldn't even bother to pirate
>>
File: 1390456408876.gif (2MB, 236x224px) Image search: [Google]
1390456408876.gif
2MB, 236x224px
>>77796465
Is he just popular because he's popular? I don't understand why readers love him so much. Is his stuff just really accessible/easy to digest? Do I just not "get" his work?
>>
>>77796465
Is that Phil Mitchell from Eastenders?
>>
>>77797024
His writing is MCU-tier.
>>
>>77797024
Ya, why exactly is his guardians run popular? Would any series by someone else that came out at the same time as the movie have done equally as well?

Bendis' guardians is so continuity heavy sometimes, tough to image casuals really connecting with it
>>
>>77796727
His current style of 4-5 copy-pasted beat panels is a lot harder to imitate though
>>
>>77796894
This is how every Bendis fan "reads" comics though...
>>
The United States of Murder Inc. was pretty good tbqh
>>
File: Hi Bendis.png (422KB, 758x588px) Image search: [Google]
Hi Bendis.png
422KB, 758x588px
>>77796465

At least he knows what most of us think about him.
>>
>>77796965
>>77796591
You two must actually be high on acid.

That was the worst Sentry arc ever. They turned an extremely deep character that was supposed to be a commentary on over powered heroes and turned him into fucking Lenny from Mice and Men.

And then to add salt, just made him a Molecule Man V2.

This in itself is the key reason why I hate Bendis. How he has creative control over so many runs is fucking mind bogling.
>>
File: 1419398143508.jpg (194KB, 760x640px) Image search: [Google]
1419398143508.jpg
194KB, 760x640px
>>77797137
>Bendis' guardians is so continuity heavy

Between shitting on DnA's run and turning symbiotes into peaceful enforcers of the galaxy, he's the the best with casuals because he butchers and dumbs down continuity.
>>
He's pretty objectively bad at what he does and all around a bad influence in the world of comics
>>
File: 1445571141745.jpg (42KB, 525x551px) Image search: [Google]
1445571141745.jpg
42KB, 525x551px
>>77796465
It's not a battle, it's an opinion.
I personally don't like most of his work. I don't like his style of dialogue (which is what most people like about him) and I have a really big pet peeve about repeated panels which are super common in all of his shit because of his style of dialogue.
If other people enjoy what he does, that's fine, why would I give a fuck?
>>
File: This Isn't Even My Final Form.jpg (166KB, 670x1024px) Image search: [Google]
This Isn't Even My Final Form.jpg
166KB, 670x1024px
>>
File: BMB.jpg (105KB, 604x508px) Image search: [Google]
BMB.jpg
105KB, 604x508px
>>77797638
>>
>>77796579
I have two major issues with him. His dialogue is terrible. If you read back and forth between characters he writes with no voice, so it seems a lot of time that any given character can say any given thing, his dialogue exists purelyy to move the plot forward or tell a dumb joke but he does nothing with character in the dialogue.

Also he has enormous build up to absolutely nothing. His X-Men kept feeling like it was on the cusp of being good. He was building up interesting ideas, then went nowhere with them. That just frustrated me as a reader over and over again.

A more minor problem I have is his action takes place on one or two splash pages instead of having the artist illustrate any kind of movement in combat. It's like "big team fight here, resolution of fight on next page"
>>
>>77796689
I don't think Quesada loves Grant Morrison. I'm pretty sure they had a falling out during Morrison's X-Men run. I seem to remember Morrison vowing to not write for Marvel as long as Quesada works there.
>>
>>77797638
>>77797663
28 words a page Bendis. This is supposed to be a visual medium
>>
>>77797727

Really? I heard they were friends, up until Morrison left Marvel because he was sick of editorial.

Apparently felt bad about "betraying" Quesada, who supposedly went out on a limb to get him to work for Marvel.
>>
>>77797821
I could have gotten things mixed up, but I do remember Quesada not wanting him back at Marvel. It sorta makes me sad because I'd love to see Morrison write a post Ewing Loki. Or work on any gods in Marvel, really. Their being creatures of story seems like something Morrison would really elevate well.
>>
>>77797727
>>77797865
I don't recall Quesada saying that. I do remember JMS saying that Quesada stopped talking to JMS after he went on Newsarama to explain the process for OMD (that basically threw Quesada under the bus).
>>
>>77797865

I think it was Bill Jemas who made Morrison leave Marvel, not Quesada. I read somewhere that Morrison got sick of Jemas interfering in his New X-Men run he left Marvel for DC in the first opportunity he got.
>>
File: sentry1.jpg (67KB, 470x361px) Image search: [Google]
sentry1.jpg
67KB, 470x361px
>>77797567
The character was a commentary on paranoia and addiction too from the very beginning, which is what Bendis focused on. Veitch confirms that's specifically what Jenkins wanted to write about.
>>
>>77796706
Here's your reply.
>>
>>77796579
>What baffles me is that /co/ usually doesn't have real complains about his books

What are you talking about? Bendis has a huge issue with pacing. Did you ever try to read Ultimate Spider-Man month to month?
>>
>>77796465
Bendis is a meme writer, plain and simple. I don't mean liking him is a meme, I'm talking about how Bendis is the only writer to have given birth to so many memes. 2-3 copypastas, Bendispeak, exploitables, dancing gifs, self inserting, pure waifufagging, and now he has entered /tv/.

Most boards have something to their name. /v/ has Katawa Shoujo, /a/ has copypastas and an anime, /tv/ created a monster, /fit/ managed to get creatine blamed for Supreme Gentleman, and /pol/ is the gift that keeps on giving.

This board will be known for /co/mblr, and Bendis. Don't forget the maximum overshilling Bendis gets here.
>>
>>77798142
There's a hell of a lot more Bendis hate on here than love.
>>
>>77798142
>This board will be known for /co/mblr, and Bendis
Are we THAT bad compared to other boards?
>>
>>77796465
Uncle Fester writes comics?
>>
>>77798239
Hate is what gives him power. Easier to stealth shill like >>77796579. Guaranteed replies, and an easy trigger for /co/. The Marvel method hasn't failed.
>>
>>77798142
>is a meme
stopped reading
>>
>>77796465
Comics as a whole are a whiny, obsolete minority.
He's been writing them for nearly 30 years now, and he's still shit at it and laughs off criticism as the work of idiots.

Fuck him and fuck you, OP. This was cheap bait and you can do better, but you won't, because secretly you're not just trying to get a reply, you really are a Bendis fan.
>>
>>77798295
Yes. I blame the cartoons.
>>
>>77798385
you feel like a big man now?
>>
>>77798727
For /co/.
>>
>>77798385
Good, that post was wrong.

Guardians of the Galaxy is fucking awesome. I cant even fathom the amount of shit it's getting on /co/

Its just like the movie, which got good reviews, and its one of the highest selling comics in the world right now and for good reason

>b-but its not MUH GUARDIANS!
lol fuck off. Nobody cared or knew who they were before the movie. Consider actually having fun once in your life, thats what the run is, fun. Since when is NOT MUH a valid criticism? They're basically taking the gotg name and making it something better, there's nothing wrong with that.

Its basically the exact same for Kitty Pryde. Reinventing a C-list character into a badass renegade which is also selling well and everyone is enjoying it aside from you /co/ntrarians. Why is that exactly?
>>
>>77796649
>Grow up. it's entertainment, not journalism.
You say that as if there's a difference.
Yes, that was worth posting 2 hours after the fact to me.
>>
File: 1319754945595.jpg (25KB, 335x478px) Image search: [Google]
1319754945595.jpg
25KB, 335x478px
>>77797638
>>77797663

You know, I never really gave much heed to the Bendis-speak criticism, since I find that to be his strong suit when he does it well.

But Jesus tap dancing Christ that is an ugly mess. At least leave room for the visuals to highlight the dialogue, Brian. I don't read comics for the bubbles.
>>
>>77799103
This pasta tastes a bit stale.
>>
Secretly everyone is a Bendis fan. Sure people here like to feel they have superior taste by calling him shit, hack or whatever they want. They feel better knowing their current indy darling is way better than the top dog at Marvel because it somehow validates the comics they are reading and that's fine.

And yeah the things people complain about Bendis are true as well. He likes to write for trades with slow pacing arcs and his characteristic dialogue. Not to mention putting the stories over any kind of continuity fans want to be acknowledged.

But it's also true that what he does is exactly what Marvel needs. He actually puts some effort in trying to change and advance these characters. You people always criticize his changes because you don't want your characters to advance that fast. Maybe if a change is teased and slowly build then in ten years you will accept it but Bendis doesn't have ten years. He wants to move forward himself not wait until his grandsons do the job for him. You hate him for that but it's what Marvel need. His stories also appeal to the readers. He writes what they want to read. Compare Guardians of the Galaxy against Inhumans. Both had the same number of variants but Bendis still won because he writes the team of Guardians people are interested in reading, accuse him of waifuing or whatever but people accpeted Kitty as Star-Lord because Bendis sold her to them in the first issue. He also put the Avengers on the map and some might say he did it by using gimmicks and events but he was the one who dared to pull these gimmicks and events, and they worked. People liked it. Bendis does know what people want. /co/ of course has other ideas, and most likely those ideas would send Marvel into bankruptcy again.

Bendis works, and /co/ loves him. All the hate messages are just the way they have to show their love.
>>
>>77801167
Next level pasta.
>>
>its a Bendis thread
>>
File: lucylawless.png (713KB, 666x503px) Image search: [Google]
lucylawless.png
713KB, 666x503px
>>77797638
>>77797663
This has to be an edit.
>>
List Bendis' five greatest comics.

PROTIP: You cannot.
>>
>>77803493

Greatest is a subjective term of quality. The only reason someone couldn't list the "greatest" of something is if they weren't familiar with it. Which in that case why would you be asking them, you moron.
>>
>>77796465
I didn't lose any battle, I just stopped reading Marvel comics.
>>
>>77803493
1) Guardians of the Galaxy

Pick other four you like
>>
>>77796465
>having an opinion
>a battle that needs to be won
were you dropped on your head as a kid?
>>
>>77796568
Nigger nobody has like Bendis for at least five years now. It's not his name that sells, it's the series he's on. Comic fans hate the shit out of him because he constantly does shit to piss them off.

Every other forum on earth hates him just as much as people here, but like Spider-Man and Slott they buy his shit anyway.
>>
>>77806598
It's a good thing that forums and /co/ make the 10% of comic readership. AT BEST.
>>
>>77806598
You think Guardians of the Galaxy is selling so well off of its brand name and not Bendis alone?

You sir are a fucking. moron.
>>
>>77806598
>it's the series he's on.
>Iron Man selling
>Guardians of the Galaxy selling pre movie
Nah, it's his name alright.
>>
I asked this a while ago: why does capeshit need writers? Is it because the artists don't know the 'lore', is it because people follow specific writers? As someone who doesn't read capes, I've come to associate comics with a single author. Capes at this point have a million alternate universes, a million reboots, a million characters with very basic personality. The writing is absolutely godawful most of the time, so it's not like hiring writers makes it better.
>>
>>77796490
this, BMB love AND hate has to stop. Just bring him bad to noir comics and let him write great stuff
>>
>>77796568
>Ironman is really fucking good so far.

The first two issues were decent but it's already off the rails.
>>
>>77807035
off the rails how?
>>
>>77796957
And then you find out he is the only reason they hired Hickman. I seem to think he is the only one knowing whats going on but too devoid to care. He has his thumb in everything but he just doesn't care enough
>>
>>77798295
Yes, /co/ has been fucking terrible with capeshit
>>
>>77801167
He retcons his own changes and leaves no changes behind, WTF are you tallking about?
>>
>>77806817
cause the only time it's good is under good direction. Check out Arkam Assylum. Morisson courted McKean for a long fucking time until he decided he would do one of the best comics. Only cause he told him the direction of the story.
>>
>>77807541
he barely does this. I bet you can't even name ten examples. not even five.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.