[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are people saying Iron man was some C-lister before movies

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 12

File: iron-man.jpg (73KB, 1265x750px) Image search: [Google]
iron-man.jpg
73KB, 1265x750px
Why are people saying Iron man was some C-lister before movies made him big? He had his individual animated show back in 90s along with X-men, Hulk, Spidey and Fantastic Four, he was already as well-known as they are back then
>>
Civil War made him a B-lister, MCU brought him up to Spidey/Hulk tier.
>>
>>77781768
So you are saying that in 00s before the movies he was less popular than in 90s? All due to being nazi during Civil War?
>>
>>77781832
No, I'm saying he was just a C-lister before Civil War.
>>
>>77781832
Are you retarded? Learn to read.

Iron Man wasn't popular at all in the 90s. The show wasn't even that good compared to X-Men or Spider-Man.
>>
>>77781609
>He had his individual animated show back in 90s along with X-men, Hulk, Spidey and Fantastic Four
Yeah but it was only around for 26 episodes compared to X-Men and Spidey, which are the shows people actually remember from that era.

I'd say Iron Man was more of a low B-lister but nobody gave a shit about Iron Man. Casuals just knew it was Tony Stark and maybe some people knew about his alcohol problem but that's it. You know where people really recognized Iron Man before the movies? Marvel vs. Capcom

PROTON CANNON
>>
>>77781609
He was not well known outside of america.
>>
He's more popular than Spiderman nowadays
>>
>>77782242
260k to 60k is pretty low with the amount of variant he got.
>>
>>77782242
Because last 3 movies about Spidey were shit, Iron Man had 3 individual movies and only two of them were shit
>>
Nobody watched that shitty Iron Man show. Everyone knows who Spider-Man and the X-Men are but come on, nobody knew who Iron Man was unless they were comic fans or played a lot of MvC2.

But every comic fan knew who he was, which makes him C-list. B-list lots of people know from a show or game, A-list everyone knows from pop culture osmosis.
>>
>>77782242
That in insanely false. Spider-Man makes so much money he makes Batman look like small-time.
>>
>>77782324
Is Spidey an A-lister or is that just for Batman and Superman?
>>
>>77782359
More than 1 million dollars every year.
>>
>>77782374
Do you know a single person who doesn't know who spider man is?
Even my great grand mother knew who spider man is.
>>
>>77782324
What tier is Flash? Sometimes it feels like nearly everyone knows about him and his powers, but then I remember that he had zero screentime in movies and I am not so sure
>>
>>77782064
You mean marvel superheroes
War machine was Mvc
>>
before the movies the only Iron Man fan I'd ever known was Ghostface Killah
>>
>>77782412
like iron man pre MCU I say he was a low B teir people knew the character but villains, how his powers work, origin story etc was rather unknow to the normal masses.
>>
>>77782359
>muh toys

Post it, you know the pic.

Its from 2013. Before ams3. Compare them in 2015.

Spiderman doesn't even touch batman superman or iron man
>>
>>77782374
>Spiderman
>A lister
Pick two
>>
>>77782495
But then I shit you not Bazinga brought him to the masses.
>>
>>77782492
It's weird
20 years ago people knew mostly X men and the avengers was just this weird hogpohogpoge of heroes
Now the younger generation have a pretty soild understanding of the avengers but struggle with what is the current X cast
>>
File: 1.jpg (50KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
50KB, 1000x1000px
Lol, all these salty Spiderman fan

>tfw they made peter a billionaire
Shamelessly copying a more popular character.
>>
>>77782552
Eh it made it to where you could market a show
I would go as far as say bbt made him better know.
>>
>>77782374
Spider-man makes Batman/Superman look like b-listers
>>
>>77781609
So did the street sharks and they're more popular than him now even without the movies
>>
>>77782374
Spider-man is way bigger but bats and super are seen as the American heroes so they get more attention state side
>>
>>77782618
Name one Spiderman comic that's sold more than death of superman, any batman's or iron man

Name one Spiderman movie that's made more than dark knight, superman or iron man 3
>>
>>77781609
Iron Man was weird where he had a show and was even a fucking bonus character in Tony Hawk's Underground yet was never really popular. It might have been that people were aware of him but didn't care.
>>
>>77782655
As a foreign fella and a well traveled guy I can confirm that's way outta wack and completely untrue, if anything the opposite is true, when you consider how much of Peter's characters rely on NY and his very american life.
>>
>>77782556
Because in the 90s, the X-Men cartoon was super popular so everybody had some idea of the main X-Men.
>>
>>77782655
No he's not. Heck, hulk is even more popular
>>
>>77782729
>Hulk
>More popular than Spider-Man
In what universe?
>>
For starters you don't want to get into a sales war because sales don't always equate to well know or quality
In irony both of your examples are made well know because of a death and is what fueled the sales.
>>
>>77782729
Here's your (you)
>>
>>77782760
>260,000 copies

Spiderman hasn't come close to that number in three years, sorry.
>>
I literally had never heard of the Iron Man cartoon until faggots started trying to use it as an example of how he was "always popular".
>>
>>77781609
Iron Man was a high B-lister to low A-lister, depending on how you define your tiers.

Definitely smaller than the big dogs, ie Spider-man, Superman, Batman, but still bigger than characters like Daredevil or Punisher, who are pretty solidly B-lister.

Personally I'd put preMCU Iron Man as a pretty low-tier A-lister, alongside the likes of Captain America. The general public has probably heard their name, but not much else. People who are passively or casually interested in comics know his basic shtick and his backstory, but don't know him super in depth.

In general I would define the tiers like
A+ - everybody knows who they are and what their backstory is, a cultural icon. This is your Superman, Batman, Spider-man, that sort of thing

A - Most people have heard of them. Anyone even casually interested in comics knows who they are. Your Captain Americas, Hulks, Fantastic Fours, Flashes, that sorta thing.

B - The general public hasn't necesarily know who they are. Enough people who read comics know about them for them to get their own ongoings, but they're not gonna be the central players in any big events. This is your characters like Daredevil, Punisher, Green Arrow, or Martian Manhunter.

C - The general public don't know anything about him. Only dedicated comic fans know who they are. This is your Ant-man, Plastic Man, or someone to that degree

D - These are obscure, one-off characters who fucking nobody gives a shit about. A lot of old villains fall into this category, or abandoned sidekicks, that sort of thing. Often used for Canon fodder.

Z - literally whos, fucking 1 panel appearances and that sort of thing.
>>
File: hulk vs spidey.png (51KB, 1171x734px) Image search: [Google]
hulk vs spidey.png
51KB, 1171x734px
>>77782729
lol
>>
>>77782682
Death of Superman was gimmicky trash that critically damaged the sales of the Superman-related comics line.
>>
>>77782242
Go to sleep Mary Jane
>>
File: you fight everything NASTY.jpg (20KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
you fight everything NASTY.jpg
20KB, 480x360px
>>77781609
>He had his individual animated show back in 90s

Reminder that Swamp Thing had an animated show. Reminder that Swamp Thing had a movie.

If you don't remember a time when Iron Man was a C-Lister (read: before 2008), then you're probably too young to post here.
>>
>>77782832
Didn't ASM #1 (2014) sell like 500,000? Or was that just inflated by all the damn variants they had?
>>
>>77782959
SWAMP THING

YOU ARE AMAZING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H5zXh6MVvg
>>
I've always wondered, why has Spiderman always blown every other superhero away (yes, Batman & Superman included) in terms of commercial success? Is it just because of his cartoons and merchandise?

When it comes to movies nobody seems to care about Spiderman anymore, maybe that's just Sony's doing.
>>
>>77781609
He was A-list among comic readers, C-list among cartoon watching boys and Z-list to the general public.
>>
>>77781609
His show was shit tier syndicated garbage. The accompanying toy like IMMEDIATELY went to the discount bins at K·B Toys.
The fact that Marvel Films was even able to make his movie at shows how NO OTHER STUDIO WANTED HIM.
>>
>>77782980
Yes and yes.
It also came out around the time the movie came out.
>>
File: spidey vs iron vs bats.png (62KB, 1166x734px) Image search: [Google]
spidey vs iron vs bats.png
62KB, 1166x734px
>>77782907
More Google Trends
>>
>>77782412
He's that weird tier that Cap and maybe Thor were in years ago. People know them on sight and maybe knowtheir powers..but that's it
>>
>>77782618
only Superman, Batman is possibly still bigger than Spiderman.
>>
>>77782905
Your tiers are WAY off.
Adding that "A+" tier fucks it all up
>>
>>77783153
Dude, everyone who at least knows that there is superhero named Flash also knows what his power is
>>
>>77783090
Don't bother posting that 2013 picture

Also, marvel prints shit Spiderman toys on a daily
>>
>>77783137
Spider-Man going strong
>>
>>77783090

Delusion - noun

an idiosyncratic belief or impression maintained despite being contradicted by reality or rational argument, typically as a symptom of mental disorder.
>>
>>77783137
Could I ask for this chart with Superman included?
>>
>>77783220
That's what I'm saying. But a passive knowledge of that character's existence to the general public doesn't translate as top tier. I'm talking tons of merch, video games, alarm clocks and toothbrushes.
Nobody was buy a Captain America or Flash bookbag just a handfull of years ago. Flash has got a bit of a TV bump and obviously the MCU has changed everything but really, like Aquaman, Flash coasted on Super Friends residue
>>
>>77783090
Because he's the ultimate self-insert
>>
>>77783090
probably because he's more relatable than superman or batman, and while it's suffering to be him, it's more in pace with our world than Batman. Everyone knows his loss of his parents and his uncle, and instead of brooding, he is even stronger and moves on. He doesn't lose his humour either.
>>
A+ lister

Batman, superman, wonder woman

A- iron man, deadpool

B- X-men Spiderman cap
>>
I wonder what global comic book tier lists would look like
most of what's said in this thread is pretty much USA only
>>
>>77783090
Spiderman is faceless, so he's easier to relate to
And superfical reasoning like that sells merch
>>
File: supes added.png (85KB, 1159x728px) Image search: [Google]
supes added.png
85KB, 1159x728px
>>77783271
Keep in mind this is just for how Google defines a search as just for the "fictional superhero," not just the search term which would probably skew things a lot more.
>>
>>77783330
Superman and batman are more relatable you casual
>>
>>77783346
>Wonder Woman is an A+ lister and not Spider-Man
>Ironman higher than Spider-man
>>
>>77783137
So TDKR pushed Batman over Spider-Man
>>
>>77783381
Batman really is not all that relatable
>>
>>77783350
1- Superman
2- Batman
3-Hulk
4-Wonder woman
5-Spiderman
6-Flash
7-Super girl
8-Robin
9-Wolverine
10-Aquaman
>>
File: btfo.png (74KB, 1166x735px) Image search: [Google]
btfo.png
74KB, 1166x735px
>>77783238
he aint got shit on dank maymays tho baka
>>
>>77783350
Spider-Man >>
>>
>>77783445
Nothing has shit on dank memes
>>
>>77782374
Come on, everybody knows who Spider-Man is. My measurement is if my grandma who doesn't own anything that uses electricity knows who it is, they're A-list.

>>77782412
I'd say "the Flash" is A-list because everyone knows ABOUT him but when you get down to the individual people and story he's B-list. Unlike Batman, Spider-Man and Superman most don't know his real name or his origin.

But people who have a passing interest from cartoons would probably know.
>>
>>77782587
Anon, they made Iron Man a broke hobo before they made Spider-Man a billionaire.
>>
>>77783461
>that delusion
>>
>>77783381
in what fucking way?
>>
>>77783433
>tfw aquaman is only on that list because he's been the butt of every joke for decades
>>
>he wasn't unknown, he had a cartoon in the 90s!

Yeah, and he had a comic since the 60s. Here's a hint, OP. The vast majority of people don't give a shit about comics or cartoons.
>>
File: Alrighty fam.png (92KB, 186x356px) Image search: [Google]
Alrighty fam.png
92KB, 186x356px
>>77783381
>>
>>77783330
I think it's more likely the commerical success is due to sales contracts requiring a purchase of X spiderman books/merchandise along with whatever they actually want to sell to keep the IP valuable, or declaring the items sold to distributors rather than customers as "sales". It's something companies have been known to do to cook the numbers and make an IP seem more popular/valuable/viable than it actually is.

'cause, srsly, I don't know a single person who even likes Spiderman.
>>
>>77783433
if its about comic books in general you're forgetting Asterix and Tintin somewhere near the top
just about cape comics that might be right, though I'd say given most popularity of cape comic characters comes from movies wonder woman goes way down, iron man goes way up
>>
>>77783375
Try doing one for all four of these as search terms and see what happens.
>>
>>77783539

I relate alot to superman

Batman to a lesser extent too.

They both fight justice, and didn't cause they're own pain.
>>
>>77783526
>My measurement is if my grandma who doesn't own anything that uses electricity knows who it is, they're A-list.

In your grandma's day they didn't need anything that uses electricity to know who spider-man is. It's called a fucking comic book. Your measurement should be some mentally handicapped monkey that can't read nor comprehend shapes and colors being able to know who spider-man is.
>>
>>77783588
>'cause, srsly, I don't know a single person who even likes Spiderman.
Do you even have anybody else to talk to under that rock?
>>
>>77782359
That's toys

Batman is #1 in all other mediums
>>
File: BvSCW.png (35KB, 884x540px) Image search: [Google]
BvSCW.png
35KB, 884x540px
I wonder how much will the BvS search is going to improve after this monday's trailer.
>>
>>77782516
>Spiderman doesn't even touch batman superman or iron man
First, Spider-Man makes so much more money then Superman and Batman in merchandise alone. Batman is the very close second but it doesn't matter how many "adult" casuals love the Avengers, Spider-Man will always sell BILLIONS to the "children buying backpacks and action figures" demographic with tons of loyal and abused fan boys and girls left over to buy the other shit.

>>77782242
>>77782534
>>77782587
>>77782682
>>77782832
>>77783090
>>77783203
>>77783235
>>77783346
>>77783355
>>77783433
>>77782516
>spiderman
Second of all, there's a hyphen in Spider-Man you fucking casuals. I'm sick of seeing this shit on /co/ of all places. I saw someone forget the hyphen in X-Men once. Fucking insanity.
>>
File: just search terms.png (77KB, 1165x679px) Image search: [Google]
just search terms.png
77KB, 1165x679px
>>77783602
Doing it that way seems to put it Batman>Spider-Man>Iron Man=Superman. I wonder how Google processes categories I used before to skew the results like that.

Also included without the hyphen to show you how fucking normies still don't know how to spell Spider-Man.
>>
>>77783663
Not that guy but, even casuals hate him now
>>
>>77782556
It's very interesting how public perception works with comic properties.

For decades Batman was thought of as this crazy battusi dancing gay pedophile, and no matter how much comic fans insisted he wasn't like that anymore, it didn't change a thing. It's directly responsible for Batman beating Superman in TDKR.

Then cue Tim Burton's Batman and almost overnight that all changed.

Man of Steel was created to do exactly that, but to the 70's Superman movies. Like with Batman, the fans knew Superman wasn't like that anymore, but for some reason people rejected this version and still cling to the 70's one.

So I have to wonder what it will take to change the public perception of Superman to be closer to what he's been like in the comics for thirty years now.
>>
>>77783715
Nope.

That was 2013 when the chart came out. Once bvs takes off, batman and superman will literally pulverize Spiderman

Batman dominates all forms of media.
>>
>>77782412

Flash is really tricky spent the day with my friends six year old today and he was the only DC hero the kid knew outside of the Trinity and Robin/Batgirl. He has a popular show and people tend to love him from whatever he is in but he lacks a real merchandising push.
>>
>>77782694
It was Marvel trying to desperately push him since his ongoing had been doing poorly despite putting popular writers on it. It's the equivalent to that current shitty Hulk cartoon.
>>
>>77783851
wasn't the hulk cartoon actually fairly decent?
>>
>>77783721
You have to look at the context too. You see that huge spike before 2013 on Batman?

That was because of the shootings, not the popularity of the character.
>>
>>77783551

People keep bringing up that cartoon but that show didn't do well. He was never Spidey or The X-Men he also wasn't The Fantastic Four which was pretty big back in the 60s.

Hawkman had animated shirts once he is t an A-Lister for it
>>
It's actually surprising how popular Flash is considering how obscure his enemies, allies and even his own origin story are
>>
>>77783797
THERE IS A FUCKING HYPHEN YOU NITWIT!

And I can agree Batman might be more popular or make more money then Spidey but IF so not by a lot. The two are very neck and neck. To say Spider-Man can't touch Bats and Sups earnings is so silly. Superman on the other hand can't touch Bats or Spidey.
>>
>2015
>not recognizing the Superior superhero
>a hero with the body of spiderman, brains of batman, and none of the moral shortcomings of superman
What is Otto Octavious. Superior Spiderman.
>>
>>77783986
eh...besides Lex, his enemies are far more popular than Supermans.
>>
>>77784000
It looks more like that Spiderman and Bat-Man alternate depending on who has a current movie and otherwise remain even. Super-Man will probably rise with BvS but it's unclear if it will just be another movie bump or if it will maintain a higher level of popularity.
>>
File: laugh till I puke.gif (3MB, 445x247px) Image search: [Google]
laugh till I puke.gif
3MB, 445x247px
>>77784253
>those hyphens

top kek
>>
>>77783418
b-but I could be Batman if I trained hard enough
>>
File: Hulk laughs at you.png (237KB, 154x508px) Image search: [Google]
Hulk laughs at you.png
237KB, 154x508px
>>77784536
>>
I didn't get into comics until 2010 and I'd never heard of Iron Man before the movie
>>
>>77784619
How old are you? Not shit talking, just curious what your exposure to media would have been.
>>
>>77781609
War Machine was cooler. Tony wasn't even the coolest in his own show.
>>
>>77783220
Well of Course. Flash Gordon is the greatest Superhero ever. I wish i could access that old screen cap from an old thread of a guy who insisted he knew which Flash he was talking about and accidentally gave the best answer possible.
>>
>>77783752
If anything they should go backwards. Back then they couldn't afford to go balls to the wall golden age but now we have the technology to let him do the most insane bullshit possible but we waste it on dubstep beams and missing that his entire creation/point was an imaginary friend that could save everyone and make the world a better place because the damn writers/directors are apparently too psychotic to realize that you don't need to murder to understand the importance of not killing.

All versions of Batman retained the core aspect of batman throughout the years (Muh parents are deeaaad. I shall fight crime.) no matter how kooky it may seem. The Superman movie on the other hand was a bunch of time setting things up via trying to fix what isn't broken in the first place (which basically broke everything).
Batman is the eternal pessimist. Superman is the optimist. The movie decided to try and show us the opposite of that.
>>
>>77782412
Everyone knows the Flash by his costume and that he goes fast. His origin, rogues gallery, and secret identity not so much
>>
>>77782446
The other Marvel games developed by Capcom had Iron Man also
>MvC 2
>>
I loved iron man as a kid, I had a sweet ass dreadknight toy and my favorite toy was a samurai armor iron man

I was hype as fuck when they announced the movie
>>
>>77783603
>They both fight justice, and didn't cause they're own pain.
Ah okay. You're an idiot.
>>
>>77785467
Hawkeye was the coolest though.
>>
>>77782904
That's because you had no childhood.
>>
>>77784166
Brainiac was so well-known at one point that his name became a commonly used sarcastic phrase.
>>
>>77782412
EVERYONE knows the first Justice League
Maybe they knew J'onn and Green Lantern less than others,, but after lantern's movie and the animated series that is less likely
But they don't know exactly how they work, they just know they're there, Flash goes fast, Aquaman talks to fish, Batman is gay, etc
Iron Man was WAY more obscure, people knew him from Marvel vs Capcom and maaaaybe his cartoon, he was always kind of there in the comics, but he blew up with the MCU

btw, i'm going with the view brazilians had of these characters before the MCU
>>
>>77781609
>He had his individual animated show back in 90s along with X-men, Hulk, Spidey and Fantastic Four

Of all the 90s Marvel shows, people only actually gave a shit about the X-Men and Spider-Man cartoons.
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.