[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would happen if Flash and Arrow were Netflix TV shows and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 3

File: Red Leather Brigade.jpg (248KB, 620x412px) Image search: [Google]
Red Leather Brigade.jpg
248KB, 620x412px
What would happen if Flash and Arrow were Netflix TV shows and Daredevil and Jessica Jones were standard TV shows?

How would Flash/Arrow narrative be constricted to 13 episodes? How could DD/JJ narrative be expanded to encompass 22?
>>
>>77761993

Arrow would really benefit from shorter seasons because they'd have to focus on developing the overarching narrative rather than padding it out with flashbacks and mook- of-the-week episodes.

Flash would become ALL HYPE ALL THE TIME if you did the same to strip out the Metahuman of the Week episodes.
>>
>>77762029
But the metahumans of the week were kinda' essential. It just feels empty if the Flash is the only one affected by the particle accelerator.
>>
>>77761993
Jessica Jones was kinda rushed. I think it would fit in 16 ep.
>>
When you're allowed to have a more focused and shorter season then by default the narrative will be stronger.

Jessica Jones has a lot of filler already, almost doubling the episode count would absolutely kill that show. Daredevil was light on filler but still had a couple of episodes that could just be straight up plucked out of existence and no one would notice.

I really wish flash and arrow were sliced in half or did half season spanning arcs instead. More than 10 episodes is just too much for any writer to handle and do well, which leads to teams and conflicting visions.
>>
>>77762126
Flash has handled it pretty nicely, though. Yes, the core storyline is Reverse Flash, but they branch out in very interesting ways.
>>
>>77762063

Okay, which metas were essential to helping Barry develop his abilities and/or reveal more of Wells' overarching plans?

Safe to say we can get rid of the Bees episode.
>>
>>77761993
I don't want to bring quality comparison to the table this early into the thread, but Flash would structurally be more similar to SHIELD, with it's 2 half seasons per year.

A bigger budget would probably go into 'better' actors and sets, which would mean that there'd be more inertia to bring in the campy silly cartoony cgi stuff it does, and would try to be more serious, which would negatively impact the thing that makes it fun in the first place.

Jessica Jones and Daredevil would just be half a season of investigating cases/lawyering to make time to produce the fights/effects. They'd both look a lot worse, probably like Arrow, which feels a bit like a student movie at times. Flash manages to have decent lighting/framing.
>>
>>77762162
Of course, but they paint a picture.
>>
>>77761993
>How would Flash/Arrow narrative be constricted to 13 episodes?
You realize how much relationship and bullshit teen drama there is in the Flash and Arrow? Remove that garbage and you could easily condense any season of the arrow into 13 episodes.
>>
>>77762162
High, Im matt Murdochl. By day i'm amnirish lawyer and blind guy. But thanks to getting hit by a radio active truck i am now able to hear, sense and feel threats all around me.
By night i am Daredevil.
>>
>>77762225
>No mention of blindest man alive.
Lurk more, newfag.
>>
>>77762162
The ones that were locked in the pipeline because we had an episode that dealt with the moral implications of that and what Barry should represent and those mooks now owe Cold for him freeing them.
>>
>>77762029
This. Arrow would greatly benefit from the Netflix format of less episodes, plus not having to wait weeks at a time between episodes.

Jessica Jones would definitely be worse for the 22 episodes. The 13 episode run already felt super dragged out.

Daredevil could work in the CW format if Kingpin were moved to more of a behind the scenes villain and more classic DD villains and plots were interspersed throughout the season, with Kingpin still being the finale.

Flash would probably suffer from being reduced to 13 episodes. They're already trying to jam as much Flash lore as they can into every episode.
>>
>>77762063
Yea honestly people dog on the "villain of the week" format but they're stupid. Flash is the one show creating a colorful world full of actual villains. Netflix approach has led to a lot of bland grunt fights, they seem afraid to introduce more than a season long villain.

Pound for Pound, Flash's Reverse Flash, Grodd, Cold, etc. bring more quality than DD's Kingpin
>>
>>77764074
I'm glad Flash is appropriately building a Rogues gallary. There are so many recurring villians on the show. Arrow recently hasn't been as good with the reccuring villians.
>>
Flash and Arrow wouldn't be so visually bland for one
>>
>>77764074
too many villain of the week episodes are just "i can't land a hit on this villain"

"have you tried running fast Barry?"

"it worked!"

take the Dr. Light episode, how fucking ridiculous was it that he couldn't land the 1 punch he needed without doing a speed mirage when her reaction times are no better than a regular person's. the next episode he catches bullets in midair.

there's nothing wrong with Villain of the Week episodes, but the problem is it becomes very easy to fall into formulaic traps because so much of the plot is procedural.
>>
>>77764214
Yeah that really bothered me. When there was one Flash she did a Radial Blind then when there were multiple she tried shooting individual beams. She jobbed hard on that.
>>
>>77764214
The main "Villian of the week" episodes that have variety are the one focusing on Rogue villians like Captain Cold, Pied Piper, Weather Wizard and Trickster.
>>
>>77764214
The thing that drives me even crazier than Barry scrubbing out is when he's fighting the villain of the week, the villain has him on the ropes and cut to commercial. After the commercial Barry is back in Star Labs saying, "How do we find this guy?" How did you lose him in the first place?!
>>
>>77762126
>Jessica Jones has a lot of filler already,
That has a lot more to do with the script being weak as fuck.
>>
>>77765159
I've never noticed that, it might be your tv network cutting a few scenes
>>
Arrow would be better
Flash would be worse
Daredevil would be worse
Jessica Jones would be better
>>
>>77765305
>tv network
lol
It's probably a lot harder to notice if you're actually watching it on TV, since you have the whole commercial break to forget about it. It happens in almost every villain of the week episode. Go back and watch some.

I think it's their inelegant solution to the problem that nobody should logically be able to escape the Flash, so they just have them do it off screen.
>>
Flash and Arrow would be better, Daredevil and Jessica Jones would be worse.
>>
>>77764214
>but the problem is it becomes very easy to fall into formulaic traps because so much of the plot is procedural.
I'd say that's The Flash's biggest problem next to the relationship melodrama. It's too formulaic and too afraid to change the status quo.
>>
>>77764214
I think part of it is that the writers aren't willing or able to write a satisfying counter to various power uses. Like with Dr. Light, just have her shoot light when he's far away and blast it out when he's close. Make her charge up and have it release automatically when she's hit meaning that Barry can't just speedblitz her without getting a face full her power.
>>
>>77761993
Generally, I'm of the opinion that a story-focused series works better with less episodes, or rather, with only as many episodes as it requires. Twenty episodes is really pushing it; you run the risk of using up all your great ideas right away and having less to use for the next season, and it can force you to pad out your current ideas in what can oft be contrived ways.

Arrow's third season suffered from it especially, I thought, because every other episode had them going back and forth from Nanda Parbat (which made me think of the place having a revolving door) or spending some time on a person reacting to another person's secret.

The Flash did okay with most of its episodes the first season, I think, so if it's seasons were shorter I'd expect the first one would end with the reveal of who the Reverse Flash was, and then use the second season to show how they catch him. These seasons probably wouldn't be 13-episodes, though. Maybe 10, or 8.

If JJ were a network show, they probably would've saved the Killgrave stuff for halfway through the season, while spending the first half just setting up her and her cast, with occasional hints about her background and the stuff she went through. Same with DD and Kingpin. It's not a bad way to do things, but trying to make it fill up twenty or so episodes could be really difficult. JJ's "filler" feel wouldn't be so pronounced, I think, if they hadn't had so many episodes that was all about *trying* to catch Killgrave rather than just catching him.
>>
>>77766320
>JJ's "filler" feel wouldn't be so pronounced, I think, if they hadn't had so many episodes that was all about *trying* to catch Killgrave rather than just catching him.
They definitely could've benefited from some case-of-the-week episodes. Making the show all about Kilgrave honestly hurt it in my opinion.
>>
>>77761993
Jessica Jones wouldn't even exist. Maybe it'd be a girl power show like Supergirl mixed with CSI. You'd probably see ex CSI or NCIS actors in it.

Daredevil would basically be how Arrow is right now.

Flash would be God-tier with an amazing CG budget and go deep into plot twists. We'd have a real fucking insane Reverse Flash doing fucked up shit.

Arrow would be a whole new actor, probably the main guy from Sons of Anarchy doing the real Green Arrow from the comics, goatee and humor and all. Badass fights, arrogance, fucking Black Canary in her fishnets like nobody's business. All the good shit. It'd be an entirely different show.

I know this didn't answer any of your questions, I was just fantasizing
>>
>>77766442
I think Flash works better on Network. Otherwise it might take a while for them to set up the Rogues on a Netflix format.
>>
>>77762225
You forgot the end.

"I must DEFEND my city from the corruption and destruction by the crimelord running it behind the scenes. In doing so, I must become someone else. I must become something else. I must become the DAREDEVIL."
>>
>>77765159
that's a tv technique for lazy screen/scriptwriters. It cuts to the chase, but leaves a huge gaping part left out. Most normal people are so used to it that they don't even notice. A lot of shows do this.
>>
>>77766472
The Rouges would probably be like Season 2 of the Flash. They just use up the whole season.

But yeah you're right. As far as writing, the main plot of the Flash is actually kind of short. It's written well, but there isn't all that much to it. The point of it is to sprinkle little parts of main plot onto episodes of completely unrelated shit and then the last few episodes are all main plot.
I was just assuming if there were better writers on board, a Netflix Flash show would be all main plot and very light filler.
>>
>>77761993
There would be thirteen episodes about the Flash fighting somebody who raped him.
>>
>>77766613
>It was me Barry
>>
>>77766624
>I WAS INSIDE YOU
>>
>>77765444
does this mean flash and daredevil are the better shows?
>>
>>77766554
>The point of it is to sprinkle little parts of main plot onto episodes of completely unrelated shit and then the last few episodes are all main plot.
Yeah, if Flash didn't have 2/3 the series as buildup for Wells the final third wouldn't have been as balls to the walls.

I still feel Flash could benefit from a bit more serial. By making each meta threat a two episode serial you could allocate a bit more of the budget to their effects, keep the actors around a bit more to flesh the villains out beyond surface level, and overall make it feel like there were a few shorter arcs intermingling the longer ones. Already established villains may get one-offs as they return, like Cold's and Grodd's were, but overall the show might be stronger if we had a more solid Rogues gallery. As it is, we've seen a lot but at least half are dead with, excluding Cold and Grodd, everyone else not being as fleshed out. Quality over quantity, I say
>>
>>77766613
>>77766624
>>77766705
wew lad

>captcha: STOP
>>
File: THEBLINDESTMANALIVE.jpg (27KB, 313x334px) Image search: [Google]
THEBLINDESTMANALIVE.jpg
27KB, 313x334px
>>77762350
>>77762225
Goddammit.

>My name is Matthew Murdock, and I am the BLINDEST MAN ALIVE.
>>
What if Ollie was blind for like two episodes?!
and for some reason he has to go to court
maybe like suing some corporation
since he can't use his arrows, he uses a cane/chuks
That'd be cool
>>
>>77767656
yes
>>
>>77765444
I think that really depends on what they do with it. I'm picturing Flash with a smaller amount of episodes and I think it would work but they'd have to be less procedural about it. More drama and character development, less fan service.
>>
>>77762029
If anything, I could see Flash becoming a metahuman of the week episode every episode.
>>
>>77769063
...Isn't it already?
>>
Daredevil's weakness was its supporting cast so creating more episodes would just be giving them more screentime which would be awful

Arrow has the same problem so shorter seasons would be more focus on plot and less on CW DRAMA which would make it way more watchable

Flash is good as is and I don't think making JJ longer would affect the quality much
>>
>>77764150
JESSICA JONES was dull a shit.
>>
Flash as it is now, would be a 9/10 show.
Iris being so fucking annoying makes it like a 6/10.
I cant think of a worse character i´ve seen in a TV show.
>>
File: image[1].jpg (59KB, 586x449px) Image search: [Google]
image[1].jpg
59KB, 586x449px
>>77769512
>you told me stuff but you didnt tell me EVERYTHING so now im really mad at you for a moment and then everything is ok again
>mfw this happens in almost all the episodes
>>
>>77769182
For You.
>>
Flash was way better than I expected. I was sure that it would be like half of the season setting up Barry even getting his powers but instead we get the powers in first episode and it just keeps getting better and better and we got even to time travel stuff in the first season.
gotta go fast even in a tv show
>>
>>>/tv/

Seriously, fuck off.

You talk about entertainment formats and if netflix is better for story telling than regular tv.

This has nothing to do with comics or cartoons anymore.

Sage and report.
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.