[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When do you draw the line between reference/homage and stealing?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 37
Thread images: 7

File: kimbasimba.jpg (256KB, 636x891px) Image search: [Google]
kimbasimba.jpg
256KB, 636x891px
When do you draw the line between reference/homage and stealing?

I'm usually fine with small things, but I get kind of annoyed when entire fight sequences or even areas are just taken from something else. Something like the Utena fight in Steven Universe or the Miyazaki Bath House in Bee & Puppycat. Fight sequences are usually the chance to be creative with boarding and composition, so to copy something frame-by-frame feels a little cheap to me.
>>
>>77755117

>Kimba the White Lion and Simba the Lion King are SIMILAR!
>I'm the first person to EVER notice this!
>I must tell everyone!

Wow, you're ahead of the curve.
>>
>>77755179
I could've chosen Steven and Utena side-by-side comparison, but I was afraid that would just devolve the thread into SU hate. So I went with a more neutral well-known comparison image to go along with the thread.

Sorry it still triggered your autism.
>>
Longer than like 10 seconds is where it gets awkward
>>
>>77755117
Tfw I saw promotional trailers for Kimba the white lion and rammna 1/2. Never saw ether of them
>>
A reference/homage is stealing. There is no difference.
>>
>>77755279
Pokemon VHS tapes? I tried watching both of them to catch up on nostalgia that I never had. Both were underwhelming.
(The old Kimba was underwhelming anyway, idk about the later version.)
>>
File: 4L_TcYrPYwg.gif (499KB, 500x330px) Image search: [Google]
4L_TcYrPYwg.gif
499KB, 500x330px
>>77755198
Post it anyway.
>>
If I like it's an homage, if I dislike it it's plagiarism.
>>
>>77755117
If it's a specific scene or reference it's homage
If it's an entire plot or character being straight up lifted it's a ripoff. Also if the thing it's taking from is so unknown that no one would ever homage, it's a ripoff. ie your pic.
>>
File: invaderperidot.gif (2MB, 500x299px) Image search: [Google]
invaderperidot.gif
2MB, 500x299px
>>77755634
>>
For the last damned time, Kimba and Lion King only have superficial similarities. They're completely different stories if you bothered to watch them.

This is the same shit about Atlantis "copying" Nadia even though it copied from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea. Fucking weaboos
>>
>implying disney did ever something original
>>
>>77755710
Atlantis a lot more similar to Nadia than it is to Verne.
>>
It's Hamlet with Lions, yet you don't see people moaning about that.
>>
>>77755751
This. 90% of Disney's library is legal adaptations of other people's work. But people just can't imagine that maybe their few original films didn't just come from nowhere.
>>
>>77755791
I almost always see this comment when people talk about Lion King. Maybe not moaning because stories like Hamlet and Romeo & Juliet are general enough that they can be applied to anything. Shit, you can make the argument Wreck-It Ralph is a variation of Beauty & the Beast type tales if you really wanted.
>>
>>77755117

An homage is when the audience is expected to know about what is being referenced. That's the purpose of its inclusion.

The plagiarizer does not expect to be found out.
>>
>>77755886
According to this definition a lot of stuff in Star Wars and (shit I can't come up with a better example) Neon Genesis Evangelion are plagiarism rather than homage.
>>
>>77755886
>The plagiarizer does not expect to be found out.
Doesn't this rely on a lot of assumption if the artist doesn't state otherwise? Family Guy doesn't hide the fact that everything in that show is a reference, but how can we be sure if Pixar's Up! is plagiarizing or just coincidental to "Above Then Beyond" short?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLHwbukUU3c

I'm not implying Up is stealing from the short, I believe it is coincidental, I'm just using it as an example that someone can make that assumption and if Pixar denies it, doesn't that suggest the "They didn't want to get found out" idea?
>>
>>77755198
Everyone knows Lion King is straight up theft. Possibly originally it was gonna just be an adaptation but someone decided they didn't want to pay anyone for the rights and they got away with it because they're Disney.

SU is clearly inspired by Utena and uses elements, but is about as up front about this as can be. I'm sure that Sucrose would include a title card that says "GO BUY UTENA ON DVD AND BLURAY" in every episode if possible.

Every creative work ever borrows from its predecessors and was inspired by other works, ever since the first time a caveman saw some other caveman drawing stick figures on a rock and took that idea. It's how creativity works. Some works are just more honest about their inspirations than others.
>>
File: ChristmasToy.jpg (63KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
ChristmasToy.jpg
63KB, 400x300px
http://churchm.ag/how-pixar-fell-off-my-creative-pedestal/
>>
>>77755976
>SU is clearly inspired by Utena and uses elements, but is about as up front about this as can be.
So as long as you admit to stealing, it's okay.
>>
I have read Jungle Emperor and it's almost nothing like Lion King. Pretty much just that main character is lion is only thing they kinda have in common, other than that they are so different.
>>
>>77756030
quentin tarantula
>>
File: gero.png (590KB, 1360x768px) Image search: [Google]
gero.png
590KB, 1360x768px
>>77756030
sure
>>
>>77755947
Star Wars is pretty much homage
Hasn't Lucas & co. been upfront since the beginning about it being inspired by old sci-fi serials?
>>
>>77756065
/tv/ frequently calls Tarantino a fraud for "stealing" if I recall.
>>
>>77755947

Taking ideas and inspiration and giving it your own spin is not copying. Copying, and copyright, has always focused on the execution rather than just broad ideas.

>>77755963
>Doesn't this rely on a lot of assumption if the artist doesn't state otherwise?

I can only explaining how I would judge reality. People can obviously interpret reality incorrectly or be ignorant of it. One does not negate the other.

An homage is blatant. You cannot openly honor something while obfuscating it. It is obvious, direct, yet brief and often inconsequential to the entirety of the work. It isn't just a general similarity, or a set of coincidences.
>>
File: asert.png (1MB, 1080x590px) Image search: [Google]
asert.png
1MB, 1080x590px
This isn't exactly theft, its more of a coincidence or just me imagining stuff.

But I always felt that Hiro looked a bit too much like the new Pegasus Seiya.
>>
File: 21254572844.jpg (20KB, 402x375px) Image search: [Google]
21254572844.jpg
20KB, 402x375px
>>77755117
fucking japs always stealing from disney!
>>
>>77755179
But he never said or implied any of that Mr internet smart guy.
>>
>>77755751
Lilo and Stitch.
>>
>>77755963
Family Guy is a parody though. A very, very poor excuse of a parody, but one nonetheless.
>>
>>77755710
No Atlantis copied Stargate. Literally its the exact plot of Stargate
>>
>>77755541
Truth.
>>
>>77755634
>Osamu Tezuka
>unknown
Baka gaijin.
Thread posts: 37
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.