[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hub's failure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 3

File: HUB_Color_Logo_.jpg (326KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
HUB_Color_Logo_.jpg
326KB, 1500x1500px
What went wrong...
>>
They didn't try hard enough. They rode their own horse-hair coattails until the wheels stopped turning.
>>
>>77737602
Personally I think they didn't ride it enough. Had Dan Vs., G.I. Joe, and fucking Transformers but they didn't dare to go the distance.
>>
File: fc,550x550,red.jpg (29KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,red.jpg
29KB, 550x550px
>>
>>77737582
Focused too much on Barney Shit and ended Dan Vs.
>>
>>77737582
they should've not been a premium channel
>>
>>77737582
>What went wrong...
The MLP bubble burst.
>>
File: AB_batmanlogo.jpg (26KB, 450x380px) Image search: [Google]
AB_batmanlogo.jpg
26KB, 450x380px
>>77737582
Needed more of The Aquabats!

actually,you can never have enough Aquabats!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GXY04abNHY

have some Aquabats! /co/mrades
>>
>>77737582
/co/s obsession with mlp and being a big help in creating brony fandom.
>>
>>77737653
RIP Dan Vs. you will certainly be missed.
>>
>>77737626
That's what I meant, or at least what I meant to mean.
The channel put most if not all of its weight on a single show, rather than spreading the wealth across multiple shows, like those you've listed.

Hell, we were supposed to get rebooted series of "Jem" and other Hasbro brands. Imagine an all-new G.I. Joe/Transformers/Jem/Inhumanoids universe.
>>
Lack of shows. No matter how popular ponies was, the rest of the block did not have enough shows to keep it going, with ones that were popular like Transformers Prime ending early. That and G.I. Joe Renegades dying way too soon. It's a shame because we've had several threads on this topic, and every time I can't help but wonder how the Hub could've been a viable alternative to Disney, CN, and Nick if it played its cards better. It was doing gold with reruns of classic DCAU shows for a while and having new renditions of Transformers and original programming like Dan Vs. and the Aquabats, but all of that slowly petered out. I blame them wanting more shows focused on little little kids like Pound Puppies and LPS, where it's very clear they're trying to emulate the success of ponies in reboots without really understanding what made ponies popular.
>>
>>77737863
Besides the ironic /co/mrades that spun into "I don't have a tribe so I must watch ponies to fit in", what the fuck made it successful?
All I know is that its better than it should be for a little girl's cartoon, such that an adult could watch it with their child and not vomit
>>
>>77739002
The memes.

It had cute little pictures that could easily be captioned. I liked the adventure episodes. It irritated others, so trolls lapped it up by the bucket.

It's actually hilarious to see mods trying to stop other shows from getting as popular.
>>
>>77739002
>Besides the ironic /co/mrades that spun into "I don't have a tribe so I must watch ponies to fit in", what the fuck made it successful?

It gave people something to play with. It was a toy commercial at heart, designed to make kids want to play with toys. It established a fantasy setting with its own rules and style, and characters that were easy to work with and fun to put into different situations. The same tactics it used to make kids buy cheap plastic toys also generated a massive fanwork community.
>>
>>77737582
Hasbro sold their part of the channel because reasons.
>tfw Discovery barely bothers with advertising ponies just like the Hub did
>>
>>77737863
This.
>>
>>77739002
It was something for people to lash unto in order to form an identity, it just had to reach critical mass, something /co/ in part made possible.
>>
>>77737662
This.
>>
>>77737662

Bingo.

They didn't have enough people watching, and there was nothing they could do to increase the numbers.
>>
>>77742584

The reason it took off was because of the reaction of others.

It started with "Hey this show is surprisingly good" so people who argued otherwise watched an episode and most of the time agreed... And it just became this collective of people trying to stop people from bullying them. It went too far in a few places.

Hub's problem was it didn't have enough of a reach though. It was a damn shame it's gone because whenever I couldn't find something to watch 9 times out of 10 the Hub had something at least decent on. It was a solid network.

I wish Dan Vs and GI Joe Renegades got to last longer though.
>>
Incidentally, I just recently found out that if they didn't switch to Discovery Family, they would have started airing Pinky and the Brain and Freakazoid.

That friggin' sucks.
>>
>>77737582
Literaty who/what?
>>
>>77739002
it was a joke taken too far to the point autist were convinced it was a great show, so they latched onto it and would never shut up about it
>>
I'm honestly surprised that Dan Vs lasted 3 seasons.

I loved every moment of it, but how did it last 3 seasons?
>>
The Hub failed for two major reasons.

For one, it was a premium network that many people didn't get. The vast majority of premium networks fail horribly unless they have a whole bunch of unique, interesting programming that sucks people in. The Hub, although it had several great show and one cultural phenomenon, didn't have enough quality original programming to fill every slot.

Secondly, toy companies boycotted the network because of Hasbro's involvement. Many companies refused to place ads on the Hub because they didn't want to give Hasbro money. Since toy ads make up most children's networks' ad revenue, this put Hasbro in a situation where they had to fill their adspace up with even more of their own ads. Sometimes this had unintentionally hilarious consequences, such as when they repeated the same Gak commercial five times in a row during the season two finale.
>>
>>77737863
>No matter how popular ponies was

Popularity didn't really translate into ratings though; even at it's height, MLP never got about the 800K mark in total viewers and that was still a lot higher than the rest of the network's audience.

By comparison, Disney was hitting 3.5 million with Phineas and Ferb around that time, Nick was at around 4.0 million with Spongebob, and Adventure Time was getting around 2.5 million viewers per episode for Cartoon Network.

So around a quarter of the audience of the weakest of those three but MLP didn't do anything at all for the shows around it. People stuck around for the shows before and after Phineas and Ferb and Adventure Time (and Nick viewers watched the other four episodes of Spongebob) but not so for The Hub.
>>
>>77746648

The second one is the most important, apparently the HUBs commercial problems were so bad that even with Discovery Family's ratings for well..... everything being so much lower they actually make MORE money than the hub.

>>77741766

Discovery Family seems to hardly advertise ANYTHING aside from the occasional movie. It's weird, I doubt they'd have such lower ratings compared to the Hub if it wasn't for the lack of advertisment.
>>
>>77746348
President of the Network liked the show. Reason Renegades even made it air as well.
>>
I don't know, pretty much everything else is doing even worse though, ratings for pretty much every hold over show got cut in half.
>>
>>77746648
Also from day one since the success of certain shows that lead to great sales for Hasbro lines but didn't net Discovery the big bucks.

So from the moment that the Hub Network started Discovery endless bitched to the FCC that they had gotten a raw deal and didn't fucking stop for years.

And that was one of the key reasons that Hasbro decided to pull out because Discovery never stopped being an asshole.
>>
>>77747557

I mean Discovery Family is doing even worse.
>>
>>77737582
Hasbro's contract with Discovery
And horses I guess
>>
Discovery airing Shezow again

Rumors of Season 2 starting again
>>
>>77747565

So what is Discovery still bitter that they didn't get the horse buxs? Is that why they pretty much never advertise it?
>>
>>77737582
Being premium and banking it all on MLP and not Dan Vs.
>>
>>77747591
Yep, Discovery is a petty little shit. There is a reason Mythbusters is getting canned and its not pure ratings.
>>
>>77747608

oooo that sounds interesting? What drama has been going on behind the scenes with Mythbusters?
>>
>>77747671
Discovery being a shit wanting them to go in a direction they didn't want to go. Reason they lost the B Team first.
>>
>>77737582
>What went wrong...

Pony being the only thing they done right, profit wise
>>
>>77745561
How does this matter at all. Both ended years ago, just download them
>>
>>77747695
Do you have a link to any stories about it? I was looking for an inside look at the changes around Mythbusters and my searches were just drowned out by noise.
>>
>>77739002
cute adventures with a jaded and anti-social main character.
>>77745594
never was a joke.looking into it was the joke and it some dumbasses couldn't comprehend why people liked it and kept asking spam so people just ended up echoing it was ironic but it never really was. first threads are still archived in places showing this.

>>77737582
cable is dying as a whole and the hub seemed to be somewhat obscure despite a decent lineup. had Dan vs.
>>
>>77747086
Yeah, most people stream MLP instead because not everyone who watch it lives in the US or wherever DF airs. I doubt they would axe it though, considering Canada subsidizes the show.
>>
>>77737722
This guy knows what's up.

>Red Sweater

Good choice.
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.