[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a990 88ce9538451ebf828a1c7a3d

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 7

File: GBF-720x276.png (420KB, 720x276px) Image search: [Google]
GBF-720x276.png
420KB, 720x276px
http://bigstory.ap.org/article/a99088ce9538451ebf828a1c7a3d1bc3/former-donkey-kong-record-holders-cartoon-lawsuit-tossed

>TRENTON, N.J. (AP) — A judge has ruled against a video gamer known for holding the world record in Donkey Kong who claimed that a cartoon character portraying him as a bearded, floating head stole his likeness.

>New Jersey Federal District Judge Anne Thompson threw out Billy Mitchell's lawsuit against the Cartoon Network on Friday, ruling that the "Regular Show" exaggerated his traits to make the character "cartoonishly evil" and that the show is protected by the First Amendment.

>The lawsuit stems from a character named Garrett Bobby Ferguson on the "Regular Show." Cartoon Network said the floating, bearded head that cheats to win an arcade game is a transformative depiction of Mitchell. The Hollywood, Florida, man has had a long, successful career in video games and is known for his long, dark hair and beard, and wardrobe of a black shirt and pants and American flag tie.

>"The television character does not match the plaintiff in appearance: GBF appears as a non-human creature, a giant floating head with no body from outer space, while Plaintiff is a human being," Thompson wrote. "And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff."

>Mitchell has held record scores in Donkey Kong — he was the first to pass 1 million points — and Pac-Man and Ms. Pac-Man.

>The 2007 documentary "The King of Kong" tells the story of another gamer's attempt to break Mitchell's first high score and portrays him as a cocky self-promoter. He also sells a line of hot sauces, Rickey's World Famous Sauces.

>A message left with Mitchell's New Jersey-based attorney was not immediately returned.
>>
>>77687228
I thought him having a big head was just for show, but christ.
>>
>>"The television character does not match the plaintiff in appearance: GBF appears as a non-human creature, a giant floating head with no body from outer space, while Plaintiff is a human being," Thompson wrote. "And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff."
Wait, they won with this?
>>
File: 1398055505321.gif (2MB, 300x257px) Image search: [Google]
1398055505321.gif
2MB, 300x257px
>>77687228
>"The television character does not match the plaintiff in appearance: GBF appears as a non-human creature, a giant floating head with no body from outer space, while Plaintiff is a human being," Thompson wrote. "And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff."
That's fucking excellent. I wish more judges could have this much fun when throwing out bullshit cases.
>>
You know who else had a case thrown out today?
>>
Why was this settled in Jersey?
>>
>>77688120
why not?
>>
>>77688130
Well I thought Billy Mitchell lived in Florida and Cartoon Network headquarters is in Atlanta.
>>
Billy Mitchell is such a cunt
>>
>>77687228
>"And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff."
how do they know? Did they beat his record in front of the jury?
>>
King of Kong is an exaggeration

They said

There's no way Mitchell is that much a bad guy in real life

They said
>>
Isn't he like a huge douche bag anyways?
>>
>>77687536
You think this is amazing? Read up the final ruling for Gaiman vs. McFarlane where the court's decision came up with better plots and characters for the Spawn franchise...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr-esq/spawn-comic-book-todd-mcfarlane-neil-gaiman-286071

>"If [McFarlane] really wanted to differentiate the new Hellspawn, why not make him a Portuguese explorer in the 16th century; an officer of the Royal Navy in the 18th century, an idealistic recruit of Simon Bolivar in the 19th century, a companion of Odysseus on his voyages, a Roman gladiator, a younger brother of Emperor Nakamikado in the early 18th century, a Spanish conquistador, an aristocrat in the Qing dynasty, an American Indian warrior or a member of the court of Queen Elizabeth I?"
>>
File: billy-vs-peter.jpg (199KB, 1211x773px) Image search: [Google]
billy-vs-peter.jpg
199KB, 1211x773px
So, is he going to sue Sony, Adam Sandler and Peter Dinklage next?
>>
If I fashioned my beard and hair the right way I could pretend any show is ripping me off as well. Him filing the lawsuit kinda makes him seem more in line with the cartoonishly evil entity from the cartoon. They are not so different deep down.
>>
>>77687228
I saw this earlier not sure what to expect and couldn't help but laugh at how actually similar they look. I wasn't expecting it to be so dead-on.
>>
>>77694028
I hope. That was one of the worse blockbusters of last several years.
>>
>>77694110
>If I fashioned my beard and hair the right way I could pretend any show is ripping me off as well.
To be fair the look is obviously based on him, not the other way around.

What I don't get is why this even got to court. Isn't parody stuff like that protected from bullshit lawsuits? Why waste thousands of dollars on a lawsuit that's gonna get laughed away 100% of the time?
>>
File: 1445039510264.png (87KB, 321x308px) Image search: [Google]
1445039510264.png
87KB, 321x308px
>>77691287
Baby Billy is just cranky because after King of Kong debuted he realized he's not special because a dozen of other people managed to beat his records.

Arcade games are extremely predictable. Anyone can "master" it if they waste enough time learning the patterns.
>>
>>77694360
>Isn't parody stuff like that protected from bullshit lawsuits
Yes, that's what usually cases like this get such humorous resolutions.
>>
>>77694446
It's more about the endurance. But he still is a bit of an asshole, and that tape was a fucking jerk move.
>>
>>77694360
Yes, that why we got

If he was really all that stuff then it would not be parody and he would have won.
>>
>>77694446
"There's a Donkey Kong killscreen coming up"
>>
>>77687228
>is known for his long, dark hair and beard
a gamer that isnt clean cut? could only be that guy
>>
>>77687973
Who?
>>
>>77695748
I think he might be talking about the epic bomb man.
>>
>>77693468
>an officer of the Royal Navy in the 18th century

I'd read the fuck out of that.
>>
File: 1390734217842.gif (3MB, 260x170px) Image search: [Google]
1390734217842.gif
3MB, 260x170px
>"And when GBF loses his title, the character literally explodes, unlike Plaintiff."

Man, I wish being a lawyer was this fun in my country.
>>
File: who?.png (177KB, 600x314px) Image search: [Google]
who?.png
177KB, 600x314px
>>77695777
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.