[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /co/ think of this film?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 8

File: brave-17453-1920x1200.jpg (1MB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
brave-17453-1920x1200.jpg
1MB, 1920x1200px
I've enjoyed every Pixar movie up until cars 2 which was a real fall from grace. Brave looked boring even though it's an original story. I watched inside out and it's a return to good form. But good dinosaur looks as boring as Brave does and they really missed the potential with the 'dinosaurs never died' idea.
>>
File: brave-disneyscreencaps.com-2700.jpg (310KB, 1920x804px) Image search: [Google]
brave-disneyscreencaps.com-2700.jpg
310KB, 1920x804px
I thought it was okay. I like it a little more each time I watch it.

I'd actually really like a Brave 2, since I really like the characters, the world, the magic, and I'd like to see that expanded upon. Honestly, the only weak part of the movie I thought was the story, and even that's not that bad.

So yeah, it's not the best, but I thought it was original enough. Mid-tier as far as Pixar goes, for me.

Also big fat Maudie tats.
>>
>>77680023
I'll give the movie a go then. Just didn't want it to be Pixar sequel-tier bad (Excluding Toy Story; until 4 at least). I don't have high hopes for Finding Dory and obviously Cars 3 but I'm hoping incredibles 2 can ride the good sequel train with Toy Story.
>>
>>77680114
I mean keep in mind, I've seen people here on /co/ just absolutely shit on the movie, so I'm not guaranteeing you'll like it or anything, but I do believe it deserves a chance.

I DON'T believe it deserved to win Best Animated Feature though.
>>
>>77679974
It felt like it was trying to be three movies at once and the end result was lackluster because of it.
The things it does well were alright but they could have been so much more interesting if they picked a direction and stuck with it.
>>
>>77679974
It's very pretty but the plot very obviously suffers from being passed between directors. It can't decide what it wants to be about.

The closest thing to a central conflict (Mom turning into a bear) happens like, halfway through the movie. Mordu has nothing to do with the story, other than giving the climax more action. And the talk of "changing your fate" in the bookend narration doesn't fit the story at all unless you really, REALLY wanna stretch it.
>>
>>77681044
I feel like the context for Mordu is there in the story, but it just doesn't really come together like it should.
>>
>>77679974
Intro scene was fantastic. The father roaring at the bear cutting straight to the title card gave me chills.

Movie went downhill when the mother turned into a bear and did anthropomorphic bear shenanigans. It took another dip when the tension became: my bear mother is turning feral. The final bear fight was pretty good, though.

Okay movie that seemed afraid to push the mother-daughter relationship too far with a plot that felt very much like Brother Bear.
>>
It's boring and cliche, but what I hate the most about it is it's main character.

Merida is a selfish braying idiot who bitches and moans the whole movie and literally contributes nothing positive.
Every bad thing that happens is because of her. She refuses to owe up for any of it until literally the last second, needs her mom and brothers to bail her out of everything, and doesn't even do anything remotely "brave" or heroic, instead just bumble-fucking her way into making things even worse.

The worst part is she gets away with it and gets everything she wants. She learns nothing and doesn't change.

Honestly, it could be argued Merida is actually the antagonist of Brave.
>>
>>77680023
>I'd actually really like a Brave 2
OUAT has ya covered.
>>
I liked Brave better than any of the Cars films. I also liked it better than A Bug's Life and Monster's University.
>>
>>77681250
I came here to post something similar. Exactly who is supposed to be Brave in this movie? Because it's not Merida.
>>
>>77681250
Gee, it's almost like she doesn't wanna be forced into a marriage she doesn't want by a parent who doesn't listen or something.
>>
>>77681535
Not the other anon, but past that extremly generic premise, she also doesn't really change or anything
>>
>>77680865
Especially against Paranorman and slam it stevie
>>
>>77681755
So what was she supposed to do? Go through with a marriage she was being forced into at the end?

The point was for the mother and daughter to understand one another better? Didn't that come through at the end?

I dunno, I just don't think it's that unrealistic for Merida to act the way she did.
>>
>>77681250

She learns to appreciate and compromise with her mom and vice versa. All things said, the movie was just ok.
>>
I didn't like Brave the first time I watched it. I returned to it after a couple months and found that it had really grown on me- I think it is a spectacular film. You have to be willing to play with it a bit, and not judge it too quickly. Perhaps not Pixar's best, but Pixar's best is also some of American Cinema's best, so it can be forgiven.

I would love to see what Brenda Chapman would have done with it originally.

>>77681044
Mor'du, although perhaps only a side story for the plot, is a thematic centerpiece. He is the apex of the physical power used for the sake of having power, and how it destroys not only society and family, but the self. Power must be controlled and used when appropriately, not allowed to dominate- its the same track that Merida seems hell bent on pursuing for much of the film. He isn't supposed to be in the limelight, he is the lurking shadow in the background that looms over Merida's life.
>>
>>77681755
>>77681250
>thinking Merida doesn't change or learn anything throughout the movie
holy shit did you turn it off after the archery scene?

Rewatch the scenes where Merida distracts the men with the speech while bear mom sneaks through the main hall, and rewatch the ending.

>>77681516
This is why I don't like one word titles, but Brave is still a decent title for this movie. Standard definitions would say Fergus is very brave, because he fucking stands up and fights Mor'du. But he loses his leg for it, and can't be relied on to do shit other than yell and swing an axe and crack a joke. He is certainly "brave", but he is obviously lacking something.

Merida fits into this mold pretty well for most of the film, and we really see it fall apart because it is fucking shit. You can't just be Mulan 2.0 and expect things to work out.

However, the brave thing that happens in this movie? The genuinely brave thing that the movie is actually about? Its when Merida says she is sorry to her mom. She doesn't stand to benefit from it, its not some brazen act of vainglorious sacrifice, and nobody stands to gain anything from it. But she does it anyway, because she recognizes that its the right thing to do.

tl;dr this movie is about how masculine definitions of bravery are destructive and shouldn't be used recklessly, and we should celebrate and value softer, emotional bravery as much as we celebrate dudes running at bears with axes, if not more.
>>
>>77681989
>He is the apex of the physical power used for the sake of having power, and how it destroys not only society and family, but the self. Power must be controlled and used when appropriately, not allowed to dominate- its the same track that Merida seems hell bent on pursuing for much of the film.
That's stretching it a lot. Merida doesn't care about power. She just hates the burden of responsibility.
>>
File: 1429843196298.gif (386KB, 515x386px) Image search: [Google]
1429843196298.gif
386KB, 515x386px
>>77679974
After the bear transformation, the movie takes a hit in the pacing. It built up this interesting world with intriguing characters, then just became running around engaging in bear-hi-jinks. The movie slowed down, yet the overall conclusion actually felt really rushed & forced.

I think it was an entertaining film and definitely better than a few of the more recent Pixar releases, but the problems (that probably arose from the director change) really affect my liking of the movie.
>>
>>77682111
Except she definitely does, she brags about climbing tall cliffs and complains that she can't keep weapons on the table.

Even so, "the burden of responsibility" includes restraining your power and holding back when you need to instead of throwing fits any time something doesn't go your way, so even though you are trying to twist the language around its still the point of the movie. Call it power, call it being a reckless asshole, I don't really care. My point remains.
>>
>>77682188
Eh, that's reaching.
>>
File: brave-disneyscreencaps.com-8493.jpg (142KB, 1920x804px) Image search: [Google]
brave-disneyscreencaps.com-8493.jpg
142KB, 1920x804px
I wish I was good enough to draw some cool Merida stuff. With her weird fish face.
>>
>>77679974
Whenever I watch Brave, I see a lot of potential that never came to fruition. It's got great designs and ideas, but doesn't deliver.
>>
>>77682188
>Call it power, call it being a reckless asshole, I don't really care. My point remains.
If you have to broaden the idea that much for the comparison to work, then it doesn't really work.

Mordu wasn't reckless. He knew exactly what he wanted and what he was doing when he got it, and he doesn't show any sign of regretting the decision or even being harmed by it until the very end, where he's simply overpowered with brute force.

Merida liked excitement. She didn't care about power. Keeping weapons on the table wasn't about power, but that adventurous lifestyle. She just wants everyone to let her run off and do her thing alone.
>>
>>77679974
Most boring piece of shit film ever. Paranorman deserved that Oscar.
>>
>>77682830
Laika shill pls

>>77679974
Forgettable trash
>>
>>77682397
>turns himself into a bear so he can take full control of kingdom
Definitely not reckless

Trying to have 100% control over your lifestyle even when it involves being a huge dick to your family, your countrymen, and your allies is definitely a power issue. Not physical power, perhaps, but power all the same (note how I said that the physical power was just a way for Mor'du to have power? yeah)
>>
>>77682900
It's not reckless when he knew exactly what he was getting into and it worked.

You keep on broadening what you think Mordu is supposed to represent, to the point that it could mean anything.
>>
File: you.gif (2MB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
you.gif
2MB, 500x333px
>>77679974
>>
>>77680865
I dunno man, when I walked out of Brave I really felt like I could have just watched Brother Bear again and not really missed much.
>>
>>77682089
Tumblr pls.
>>
>>77679974
EET MAH MOOF!!!
>>
>>77683862
http://pastebin.com/VqPXpf4M
>>
>>77679974
It feels like brother bear movie, just with females instead
>>
>>77679974
Expected Archery, Bravery and Adventure
Got some story about a Mother becoming a bear

Not a big fan because I knew little outside of the Robin Hood-esque scene they did and was actually really looking forward to seeing an adventure film from Disney but I was bloody mistaken
>>
>>77684180
When she expected "magic to change her fate" I expected some sorta crazy monkey's paw scenario, not just "your mom's a bear lol"
>>
BRAVE? More like BITCH.
>>
Cars has a better plot and was an overall better film than Brave. Same goes for Cars 2 and Planes.
>>
>>77682914
The answer, of course, is that Mor'du is a physical representation of the patriarchy inherent in the system.
>>
>>77684283
It wasn't that bad
>>
>>77681286
>OUAT
>Good for anything

Nice joke anon.
>>
File: OUAT-403-9.png (232KB, 550x309px) Image search: [Google]
OUAT-403-9.png
232KB, 550x309px
>>77685397
It's good for cleavage.
>>
>>77684292
Woah, where did patriarchy come from? He's essentially a warning to Merida that going against your family is a 'no no'. If he represented power, well that wasn't worked into the plot really well.
>>
>>77681989
>I would love to see what Brenda Chapman would have done with it originally.
I'm going to guess that originally the mother didn't turn back human, showing that there were very real consequences to Merida's decisions.

But that would be too dark for the kiddies.
>>
>>77685532
>>77681989
Only stuff the second director brought in was Mordu and more of the comedy elements.
>>
>>77685494
She's one of the best tittyfus.
>>
>>77685532
Way I heard it was that the plot involved her running away from home, going on some long quest, then learning responsibility, coming home and picking the fat suitor.
>>
File: brave-disneyscreencaps.com-2712.jpg (233KB, 1920x804px) Image search: [Google]
brave-disneyscreencaps.com-2712.jpg
233KB, 1920x804px
>>
>>77680114
It does some interesting things (A witch who isn't evil, just has an obsession with a certain animal/a teenager who isn't obsessed with getting married/A mother/daughter story)

I do think it robbed Paranorman of that award though.
>>
>>77688490
>>77682830
I think Ralph deserved it more than either.
>>
>>77685494
>>77685742
They might be good tittyfus, but we all know that Captain Hook is the ultimate.
he doesn't deserve this pain;_;
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.