[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come Xavier has a British accent when he's New

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 1

File: Xavier.jpg (26KB, 495x280px) Image search: [Google]
Xavier.jpg
26KB, 495x280px
How come Xavier has a British accent when he's New York born and raised?
>>
>>77662210
Good schooling.
>>
Because he's a mutant.
>>
He doesn't. That's just what he makes you think.
>>
Because he is a homosexual.
>>
>>77662210
>New York born and raised
English parents, and he was raised in both NY and England. Hell, he went to Oxford.
>>
>>77662328
Don't get my hopes up
>>
I see a lot of X-threads recently.
Cool
>>
>>77662331
Americans can go to Oxford.
>>
>>77662210
How come Batman doesn't have a British accent, when he was raised by a British butler, who served his family, specifically because for generations, Alfred's ancestors always retired as butlers for the Waynes, meaning every single bloody Wayne is British?
>>
because FOX is fucking stupid
>>
>>77662550
Because accent is a social construct.
If an American can pretend wapanese, Chuck can be a wannabe Brit.
>>
>>77662574
Oh shit, I just realized something.
If accents are a social construct, how much time do you think, until Tumblr catches on, and declares Accent Privilege a thing?
>>
>>77662210
Because he's very intelligent
>>
>>77662605
as soon as someone tells them about it.
>>
>>77662210
Because Patrick Stewart can't do an American accent, I'm guessing.

Either that or they just thought his natural accent was better.
>>
Cos ee's anright ponce innit.
>>
In the cartoon series, Prof X speaks in British accent as well
Anime version too
>>
>>77662647
All this time, Professor X was a closeted Brit.
How unsurprising. Maybe that's why Legion was speaking like a wee scottish lad, despite being israeli-born kid. It must be genetic.
>>
More importantly why doesn't Eric have at least a slight German accent?
>>
>>77662605
...Shit, man. People have already made that claim. Like, way before tumblr even existed.

I remember reading a poem in high-school who's entire point was that nobody would treat someone with a strong scottish accent as serious and respectable like someone on the news..
>>
>>77662735
Fassbender does.
>>
>>77662735
British in the first 3 movies
Irish in First Class
Fassbender is German
>>
cause that WASP New England accent isn't around much anymore and British works.

Emma Frost having a trashy Boston accent she tries to hide is my fav head canon
>>
>>77662210
But that Xavier has a Scottish accent.
>>
>>77662210

AYDUNWONTCHAFYEWCHA
>>
>>77662803
AQA English Language?

And, "Accent Privilege", is a thing in the sense that (especially, in England) your social class and status can be traced back to your accent, and the way people treat you can change depending on that. It usually results in classism.
>>
>>77662605
I know you're just retarded, but that's a thing.
It's not a huge deal, mostly people assuming you're stupid or criminal based on an accent.

If you've got a Southern Accent, you've experienced this.
>>
>>77662877
He slipped his original accent sometimes.
>>
>>77662487
>Americans can go to Oxford.
hAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA...ha
>>
>>77662951
Maybe I didn't make myself clear:
Yeah, I know it's something that exists. But I mean more like, how much time until it becomes something Tumblr blows even further out of proportion?
As things are right now, it's basically the occaisonal dick being a dick to you, because he thinks he knows you based on how you sound, and then you never see them again.
Once Tumblr is unleashed on one of these things though, you won't be able to avoid being verbally lynched for daring to mimic an accent, or be accused of suffering from Stockholm syndrome, if you claim that you don't mind having a Southern/x accent.

Believe me, I know what it's like to not like what your accent says about you, but it's nowhere near what Tumblr would make of the issue.
>>
>>77663252
it actually has a serious effect on careers and interactions with police. on the career side you can be looking at a bigger impact on your lifetime earning than going to college in many fields, depending on the accent.

People don't hire voice coaches to obliterate accents just to avoid "the occasional dick being a dick to you." It's because they're losing money for saying "y'all".
>>
Days of Future Past feels like so long ago.

Apocolypse when?
>>
>>77663100
Bill Clinton went to Oxford.
>>
>>77662803
That's because no one could understand them.
>>
>>77663252
>oh man, what'll happen when those kooky sjw tumblrina trigger-happy feminazos find out about this!
I don't care what anybody on 4chan thinks about tumblr. Hell if I could change their opinion either way. I just wish the didn't shake in thier boots and wimper "n-nut muh tumblur" at any given moment. Hell, half the shitposts in any given webcomic thread is "lol guys NEEDS MORE BLACKS AMIRITE?" And prrtty much whenever convenient and even if not, people either go "too kek, this will trigger the sjws for sure" or "teehee a dur dur look guys im a tuble". All I can say is that it's basically become a middle school playground up in here. 4chan sounds like a bitter ex that goes "wow this salad is shitty but hey AT LEAST IT'S NOT MY EX AMIRITE"?
Okay, I'm done ranting
>inb4 anything
>>
>>77663100
Oxford, like a lot of British educational institutions, has a shit of of International students. Including Americans. Oxbridge, even more so as it's also a brand name.
>>
Who cares?

Fassy's where it's at.

>tfw you'll never be a German palying a Jew
>>
>>77663728
O shit. Never even realised that.
>>
>>77663750
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQsBxn_k27c
>>
>>77663392
As someone who doesn't live in America:

Sweet lord, it sounds like there's too many people who aren't being who Mr. Rogers knew they could be.

How the hell does a country refer to itself as the greatest, when it doesn't trust the majority of itself?
>>
>>77663965
Cockiness
It really isn't so strange, even if irrational
>>
>>77662948

This. Accent privilege is a thing and older than any of the privileges Tumblr cries about. It's just called classism. A historical British example would be the movie My Fair Lady. It still occurs in Britain all the time. More so than racial privilege.

It even exists in America. You wouldn't get a Presidential candidate who talked like a working class American (of any race) with a strong inner city Detroit ebonics accent or a say Brooklyn or Boston or country redneck accent I'm guessing.
>>
Xavier's accent is a good shorthand for conveying he is an upper class American. What does a WASP New England accent sound like?

It's canon Emma Frost speaks in a similar manner.
>>
>>77663398
Six months.
>>
>>77664183
refer to Orson Welles
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4p62gL-spAA
>>
>>77664183
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtmb8sYyorM

Mark Hamill has said that he played Joker with an over the top mid-atlantic/transatlantic accent.
>>
>>77664441

Got it. It sounds like a more nasal version of an educated American accent. It does sound to me at least quote close to the X-Men TAS Xavier's accent.
>>
>>77664441
Not sure why, but I never quite realized how much Orson Wells and Bruce Campbell sound alike.
>>
>>77663252
>>77662605

oh my god how did we go from X-Men to whining about tumblr in less than 15 posts
>>
>>77664779
If it helps, we went from something not making any sense, to Tumblr in 15 posts.

But also, the one sure fire way to get back, is not talking about Tumblr anymore.
>>
>>77663100
I'll take what is the Fulbright Scholarship for $5

>>77663965
Accent and class association have an effect no matter where you live. Anon's just being retarded because he thinks nobody ever tried to fix it before and "Tumblr" is going to try at some point.

Basically, he's so afraid of being "progressive" that he's actually going to argue against any legal basis for equality, which takes the whole of the rule of law in a democratic nation and shoves it right up your ass with sprinkles on. Fuck that guy, he doesn't have the slightest clue what he's fucking talking about.
>>
>>77662951
>It's not a huge deal, mostly people assuming you're stupid or criminal based on an accent.
>If you've got a Southern Accent, you've experienced this.

>the south
>secede from the union
>instigate bloody civil war
>carry on brutalizing blacks for a full century after they've been granted freedoms
>become the lynchpin for almost all anti-intellectual movements in the modern US
>become some of the biggest welfare states in the US
>consistently score as some of the dumbest states in the US in terms of student standardized tests

>thinking people shouldn't assume you're stupid or a criminal
>>
>>77662351
Erik, pls
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.