[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Toy Story 20th anniversary thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: toystory.png (303KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
toystory.png
303KB, 300x450px
This series has gone from simple comedy movie to surprisingly emotional sequel to prison-movie third installment... and that's as of 5 years ago.

So yeah, on this anniversary, I ask this to /co/; what do you think of this trilogy?
>>
Genuinely 10/10
>>
3 felt too much like a redux of 2 IMO
>>
thank god http://youtu.be/GOxJpGI8SWc
>>
>>77648815
First 2 were God tier 11/10
As much as I enjoyed the third one, it felt the most unoriginal out of the three. 8/10
>>
File: black panther.png (265KB, 342x450px) Image search: [Google]
black panther.png
265KB, 342x450px
>>77648952
>Jeffery Katzenburg suggested that Woody should be a cynical asshole
>yfw Jeffery Katzenburg almost ruined this movie
>>
>>77649157
Sauce?
>>
>implying 2 isn't the best
>>
here's an early Buzz & Woody footage. creepy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIF7fmswktc
>>
>>77648815
>Toy Story 1
>Simple comedy
>Not emotional

Ok. Whatever you say, OP.
>>
>>77649603
Not compared to 2 and 3
>>
>>77649244
Woody's character was gradually made more edgy during production, at the suggestion of Jeffrey Katzenberg, head of Disney. Pixar knew this was the wrong decision, but went ahead and complied with the requested script changes. Even Tom Hanks, Woody's voice actor, expressed his disapproval with the changes to Woody's character, going as far as shouting "This guy is a jerk!" in the middle of delivering one of his lines for the story reel.
This from the pixar wiki
>>
>>77649650
That doesn't mean it's a simple comedy. Being less of something is different than not being something.
>>
Thanks for killing 2D, Toy Story.
>>
>>77650033
Honestly, since it's Toy Story it doesn't feel so bad. Pretty worthy.
>>
>>77649833
I'm describing the different installments' respective roles in the series. "How simple is simple" or "how comedic is comedic" are matters of comparison.
>>
>>77650033
>>77650211
That must have been a rather slow murder, then. There were still several traditionally animated Disney films after Toy Story.
>>
With all these Pixar sequels coming out, when in the holy mother of fuck are we gonna get a Bug's Life 2?
>>
>>77651900
What's left to say? They already overthrew the oppressive grasshopper regime.
>>
>>77651900
Bugs don't have a long lifespan.
>>
File: idi amin laughing.gif (4MB, 298x224px) Image search: [Google]
idi amin laughing.gif
4MB, 298x224px
>>77652296
Fair enough, but neither do most small tropical fishes.
>>
>>77651670
Whatever you say. OP is a shitty oversimplification, but I guess you wanted to feel clever.
>>
>>77650033
You will always have comic books
>>
>>77652296
Most fish cannot survive over a decade.
Guess which Pixar sequel we're getting next.
>>
>>77652296
They also don't speak English.
>>
>>77652129
Full on war movie where King Flick uses cunning battle strategy to overtake a physically superior kingdom of Fire Ants
>>
>>77648952

Honestly the whole Woody being a jerk thing could have been very interesting if they didn't go over the top with it. He starts off the movie as a huge jerk but then learns the value of trust and friendship from Buzz and becomes nicer in the end. But yeah, I can see how it would be very hard for people to like him even if he did become good in the end.
>>
>>77650033
Fuck off Mr Enter
>>
>>77649309
>>77648952
Literal nightmare fuel Woody
>>
>>77648815
1's visuals don't hold up very well despite them smartly basing the movie around artificial characters. And some of the animation is noticeably stiff, Pixar would come a long way.

The second one doesn't get praised enough as pivotal to the company. Bugs Life wasn't that crazy a hit like Toy Story, and TS2 almost existed as an under-budget direct to dvd movie. They were able to convince Disney to upgrade it based on the strength of what had been made. Also the visuals still hold up.

Three is fantastic. So it played it a little safe with the villain, big deal.
>>
I enjoyed it a lot. As I kid I always sided with woody even though I learned later the movie was about him overcoming his selfishness to save his friends. I though buzz was a chucklefuck tryhard faggot then learned later he was right for having aspirations and seeing himself as more than a toy.
>>
>>77659386
While I partially agree, at least they TRIED to hide the animation limitations. They only things that genuinely take you out are the humans and especially the dog. Other movies like Jimmy Neutron didn't even attempt to hide their animation experience/budget, and it looks a million times worse despite coming out over a half decade later!

TS3 doesn't hold up as much on repeat viewings. I mean it looks great, but the characters act more Flanderized and it's not subtle at all with its emotions. As much as I love TS2, saying it's better than the original would just be me acting like a contrarian. Toy Story 1995 is the real deal. It's a miracle movie that has everything going against it, but surpasses the highest of expectations. It changed movies as we know it, and still entertains. I still remember the years of advertising tsunamis when this came out, alongside The Lion King and Pokemon. Up until the early 2000s, Toy Story dominated toy lines, video games, and anything they could put Woody and Buzz's faces on (Wonder Balls anyone?) One of the great pieces of /co/ media. Somebody should have set up a stream.
>>
File: wakemeupinside.gif (1MB, 200x157px) Image search: [Google]
wakemeupinside.gif
1MB, 200x157px
>Clearly I will go sailing no more
>>
File: 1430293839515.gif (2MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1430293839515.gif
2MB, 400x225px
>>77648952
>>77649309
My sides.
>>
>roughly the same age as Andy for every installment

Even if I didn't like 3 that much that alone gives the movies added nostalgic value.

It's just a shame they fudged his age in the last one so he's about 2 years younger than he should be. I was just leaving college when Andy when just starting it.
>>
Grossly overrated and carried strongly by Tom Hanks and Tim Allen
>>
>>77648815
I'm a 1992 kid, so I watched them at ages 3, 7, and 18 - which I think was pretty much the age of Andy (he may have been a little older in Toy Story 1).
So I always liked them. In hindsight, Toy Story 2 is a little weak. Toy Story 3 made me tear up a little, not in the furnace bit but right at the end, when the little girl reaches out to take Woody from Andy and Andy snatches him back.

My favourite will always be Toy Story. I memorised most of the movie by the time I was 7 or 8 and I still remember practically all of it.

I'd probably give them

1 - 9/10
2 - 6/10
3 - 7/10
>>
>>77661077

>1 was an amazing movie for everyone
>2 was slightly over my head and lacked the innocence of the first
>3 was a return to nostalgia and had better CGI so I liked it more than the second, despite it being the exact same movie only with a bear instead of a fat guy as a villain

OPINONS and everything, but Toy Story 2 is probably better than 1 in most aspects.
>>
>>77661236
I'd argue that 1 and 2 are more similar to each other than 2 and 3. They're about toys finding their purpose. 3 is about growing up.

Also, I was pretty specific when I said that I find 2 inferior to the others in *hindsight*. At the time of its release, I enjoyed it far more than 1 due to the opening sequence, the double-Buzz and the Zerg toy.
>>
>>77653290
Don't forget Queen Atta, now dragging a swollen ovipositor that keeps releasing eggs as she tries to remain a more active monarch and travels through the tunnels despite the insistence of others that she should stay in her quarters.
>>
>>77661236
I have to agree, I always thought Toy Story 2 was better. I think Toy Story is a bit overrated as a film because of its historical and influential value, being the first ever full-length CG feature.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.