[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

> go to comic convention today > guy is selling mystery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 6

File: 1448173002517.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
1448173002517.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
> go to comic convention today
> guy is selling mystery boxes for $35 each
> most of the prizes you get are tous or collectibles comic/vidya/or movie related
> one of the boxes contain a voucher for a PS4
> figure what the hell, I didn't buy anything else today except the entry ticket.

> pick box, open it and get this in it.

Soo... wtf? I did some googling and found out this character is from a 1960s comic called the Fat Fury.

Anyone familiar with it? Is this toy worth anything?
>>
you got junk for 35 dollars
>>
File: Herbie Popnecker 01.jpg (54KB, 250x345px) Image search: [Google]
Herbie Popnecker 01.jpg
54KB, 250x345px
>>77632818
Holy shit, is that Herbie muthafuckin' Popnecker? Holy shit, I didn't even know they had figures of him.
It's probably not worth much, but the comics themselves are fucking masterclasses in absurdist comedy. Great fucking stuff. Alan Moore's favorite comic, too.
>>
>>77632818
Go back and make them give you one that's right side up.
>>
>>77632891
yeah its from Dark Horse too so the quality is really good

would you be interested in it at all?
>>
>>77633111
No, sorry. And 'sides, exchange & shipping rates would fucking murder me.
>>
I am insanely jealous of you right now...
>>
File: 1445274175344.gif (217KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1445274175344.gif
217KB, 480x270px
>>77632818
Holy fucking shit i am so god damn jelly right now i think i'm gonna explode.
>>
>>77632891
Yeah it was out five years ago. They had a variant with brown pants, too.

http://www.darkhorse.com/Products/16-197/Herbie-Vinyl-Figure
>>
Also that reminds me, I gotta go see if I have all the Herbie archive books. I can't remember if I'm missing one.
>>
>>77632818
Ya never heard of Herbie?
Filthy casual.
>>
>>77632818
You got gypped, NEVER buy mystery bags or boxes at conventions.

https://youtu.be/nS-Qzy-N7RU?t=1556

Go to the 26:00 mark.
>>
>>77632891
Hahah it's Moore's favourite comic? I find that so apposite, in some ways.

UK"fag" here, I saw the Dredd artist (though not for, like years now) Chris Weston at a con. He was sketching something but had his head down, not talking. I bent forward slightly and said: "Crazy Barry Little Mo!", and he looked up, blinked and said: "bloody hell!You're old school, aren't you?". "I was like, :"well, not quite Class of '77 but yeah, pretty much! Your pages are amazing.", and walked off.

True story.
>>
>>77632818
HOLY SHIT
YOU got a Herbie Popnecker! Most powerful person in comics!
>>
File: 11a-11.jpg (230KB, 908x901px) Image search: [Google]
11a-11.jpg
230KB, 908x901px
>>
File: Herbie House Ad_64-04.jpg (657KB, 1098x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Herbie House Ad_64-04.jpg
657KB, 1098x1600px
>>
>>77632891
(That story was 'cause of your name, btw. I wasn't just going off at random like a crazy person, although I'm sure there are lots on this board who would dispute that>)
>>
Op here
Ok well if anyone is interested in buying this figure I'll sell it for $40 with shipping, US only.
if you want it my email is [email protected]

Not sure if this is allowed to do on /co/
D
>>
>>77637827
>>77638251
Haw! Damn good eye there! Chris Weston's pretty damn awesome, too!
>>
>>77637827
Moore recently did a Q&A on Good Reads where he revealed that he was offered the chance of writing Herbie.
>Even when offered the opportunity to write one of the only American comic characters that I retain affection for and interest in – this being Ogden Whitney and Richard Hughes’ sublime Herbie, the only comic character that is mentioned or discussed in Jerusalem, incidentally – I turned it down because I’m only interested in reading Hughes and Whitney’s Herbie, and have no interest at all in reading my own ‘take’, or ‘tribute’, or ‘homage’ to the character, which would add nothing new or interesting to already unique and fascinating work, and would at best amount to a fannish tribute which I’m sure that both of the original creators could have done without.
>>
>>77637870
>/pol/ trying to romance the fairer sex
>>
>>77632818
Why would you not want a Herbie figure? Pleb.
>>
>>77639918
Shut up, Moore, you pretentious, boring lime .
>>
>>77639684
I'm also willing to negotiate.
>>
>>77632818
Most overpowered character in the history of fiction.
>>
>>77637827
>"Crazy Barry Little Mo!"
Shit dude, love that story. 10/10 taste
>>
>>77637825
Depends on the booth, depends on the bag. That one was obviously from some terrible homemade weeb booth that had nothing to do with comics.

I'm generally pretty happen with them.
>>
>>77632818
>Is this toy worth anything?

$35 or less.

If someone is having a fire sale to clear out their stockroom, everything in the sale *in total* is worth less than the amount they could expect to receive by selling it through their store (because even if they get ticket price for it, they've still had the storage costs - rent, insurance, handling and so on - for all that time, which cuts into the profit they would have made selling at ticket price over wholesale price).

So in order to make that profit everything has to be priced so that it's going to make them money *on average* (because in practice even if you have a system for marking them, you are going to lose track of which of hundreds of boxes has that voucher, for example, while you're also trying to run a sale). This ensures that even if they only sell 50% of their mystery boxes during the sale they're statistically speaking very likely if not actually guaranteed to make a profit.

The existence of 'prize' boxes worth over that amount can't change that average significantly; so even if he's technically selling a $300 console in one box and he only sells 10 boxes at $35, if the other boxes only contain things he paid $5 for and would have nominally retailed for $10 but couldn't otherwise sell, he's not making a great profit but he is making $5 over and above what that stock would have made taking up space on his shelves at the store. Sure, that much wouldn't cover his gas or the cost of the boxes themselves, but he's probably not only selling 10 boxes. If he sells 100 boxes to people who like a gamble like yourself, and if every one of those boxes contains something with an average cost (dis-including storage costs etc and ignoring ticket price/RRP, which he didn't pay for them) to him of $5, then he's made $2,705, from which he can take the cost of the boxes, the hire of the stand, and so on.

In reality he might sell 1000 boxes and still only be making a modest profit; but he is making a profit.
>>
>>77632818
Haha, fucking Herbie? Someone made that? An actual company?

If you weren't showing me a picture I wouldn't have believed you.
>>
>>77640784

That's not Stardust.
>>
>tfw Herbie's dad was once a fat little nothing like him
>lost weight and got fit for his mother
>lost his powers unlike Herbie's grandfather

What a story
>>
>>77641748
Yep. By Dark Horse.

Here's the back of the box.
>>
>>77639684
>$40
LMAO
http://www.amazon.com/Dark-Horse-Herbie-Vinyl-Figure/dp/B002IUP9K6
>>
>>77642525
that's a limited figure of 1200, the one in the OP of 700 and has intact packaging. It's probably wort $40 and free shipping
>>
>>77639918
>Moore loved Herbie so much that he refused to do his own take
Now that's some dedication... good for him.
>>
>>77643718
What's the difference?
>>
>>77637827
>Hahah it's Moore's favourite comic? I find that so apposite, in some ways.

Well yeah. Remember that Rorschach's speech pattern was basically Herbie's.
>>
>>77642525
I did say I would negotiate. I can sell it for that amount or even cheaper.

At this point I have it up on eBay with a starting bid of $25 if anyone wants to buy it there.
>>
>>77640841
> homemade weeb booth

Got that right. I remember I bought a $10 grab bag with $25 worth of stuff supposedly from some booth called "Kawaii and a Guy"

The stuff I got was cute but I wouldn't say it was $25 worth.

In that video, the cat ears looked like they were handmade, so perhaps whoever packed it thought it was worth $15 alone. I have seen so many craft booths over price the shit they made.

Granted, I understand times are tough, but fuck you, I'm not spending $5 on a pin with someone else's artwork printed on it.
>>
>>77632818
>nyone familiar with it? Is this toy worth anything?
Herbie Popnecker is Alan Moore's favorite comic character of all time.
>>
>>77640840
Does anyone have a link to Herbie's non-PD appearances?
>>
>>77633519
Do you want it? Because I want to sell this asap.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.