[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | | Home]

how different would last airbender have been if katara was replaced

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

File: download (2).jpg (9KB, 189x267px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
download (2).jpg
9KB, 189x267px
how different would last airbender have been if katara was replaced by korra
>>
Korra would kek Aang with Toph.
>>
File: toph vs katara.png (282KB, 817x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
toph vs katara.png
282KB, 817x600px
>>77616611

Katara would be pretty bitchy but less hotheaded.

so shit would get done...maybe probably.
>>
>>77616611
Aang in Korra's spot would have solved all of Korra's problems much more easily.

Korra in Aang's spot would have wiped the floor with Ozai before Aang finally built up the spine to do it.
>>
>>77616611
Two tophs on the team would kinda lack the responsible, mostly level headed dynamic Katara brought.

Korra is literally avatar toph, and Toph and Katara were foil characters.

So very different.
>>
It wouldn't work having two Sokkas
>>
>>77616611
>Strong female character that dont need no man, but still fucks up and cries to get her way

Every episode would be the pirate episode or the waterbending master training episode.

>>77616904
>Two tophs

Toph didnt break down like a little bitch every 4 episode.
>>
Aang would be a shit water bender with her as his teacher and would always be taking a back seat while she beat the shit out of everyone.
>>
>>77616901

This. They should have been the protagonists of each other's shows - Korra was an avatar for wartime, Aang was much better suited for negotagion.
>>
>>77616611
The /ss/ potential would be ridiculous. But like any potential involving Korra, it'll most likely fall flat and be remembered as a huge disappointment.
>>
File: korra rack.png (643KB, 850x473px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
korra rack.png
643KB, 850x473px
>>77616611
>two sokkas

Wouldn't have worked with two aggressive characters, especially is Korra was a half way decent water-bender. Katara worked because she played off Aangs character in an understanding way, Korra would have just been abrasive.

>>77617033
The idea is that Avatars aren't supposed to be tailored made for whatever time they were born in, and have to become rounded individuals to overcome and understand the problems they face.

Although Bryke fucked this is the ass by having turtles solve all of Aangs moral problems, then had Korras solution of 'beat shit up' work when it really shouldn't have
>>
>>77617003
>Toph didnt break down like a little bitch every 4 episode.

Because Toph was a mary sue. Moreso than Korra.
>>
File: 1433992563033.gif (761KB, 500x278px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1433992563033.gif
761KB, 500x278px
>>77617100
>didn't post the gif

Let me just fix that
>>
>>77617109
What about when she couldn't save Appa? She even teared up.
>>
>>77617033
They wouldn't have been entertaining had their not been as much conflict as their was with personal development of the Avatars and shit.
>>
>>77617100
>turtles solve all of Aangs moral problems

Did they though? Yeah the turtle was the one to teach Aang energy bending but if he only went back like 6 or 8 avatars to ask about his aversion to killing Ozai. If he'd have gone all the way back to Won, he might've told him how to de-bend someone. It's probably easier to do than the world at large realizes, since Korra learns to do it almost immediately and Amon, who was at best an extremely talented single-element bender, figured out how to do it as well.
>>
>>77616901
>>77617033

I asked what if Katara was replaced by Korra - not if Aang was.

The real question: would Korra and Toph shag each other?
>>
>>77617972
Would Korra be an older teenager like in her own series or a young/pre teen like the rest of them?
>>
>>77618155
I guess a teenager.
I mean would you really want to see how immature a pre-teen Korra would be? She'd try to fight the Fire King on day one.

Actually - I'd like to throw this in - Korra is not the Avatar, she is only a water bender.
>>
No one would give a shit about the avatar stuff and just enjoy Korra and Toph fucking around.
>>
>>77616611
They'd be dead before they left the south pole.
>>
>>77617100
It wasn't a terrible deus ex machina for TLA. It was literally the only option left. If Aang Killed Ozai it would have prolonged the war as the Fire nation would want revenge on who killed their leader and it would have destroyed Aang.
and a deus ex machina can work if the character still needs the strength and will to pull it off. The lion turtle gave aang the ability/knowledge if bending energy that was the original source probably used by the first Avatar. Aang had to be pure of mind and soul to do it.
>>
>>77617109
Toph wasn't a Mary Sue, she actually trained to get to where she was.
>>
>>77619454
This.
I'm so fucking tired of you pseudo-internet reviewers sitting here going
>"oh its mary sue!"
Like fuck off. Go make some shitty cartoon reviews like Mr. Enter.
>>
Sokka wouldn't be able to get anything done with a raging boner 24/7
>>
>>77616611

You know it's funny.

I feel like if their positions were reversed they both would have dealt with the other person's problems much easier.
>>
>>77620452
Not really. It's an elemental magic kung-fu action show so violence is always the solution.
>>
>>77617570
Amon never energybended, he bloodbended
>>
>>77619659
I agree with you 100% on Mr.Enter making shitty cartoon reviews. He also doesn't take responsible for stuff he starts.
>>
>>77619428
Personally, my issue is that they taught this to aang so late in the game. After the reveal of aangs guilt over abandoning everyone, we know aangs inner self is far too convoluted and conflicted to actually pull it off. Introducing the power of ozai without the comet, his inability to kill him, and the fact he's wreck inside over bith whst he has done and will need to do makes for a better development in the story and leads to an earlier search for the method of the lion turtle. This, in turn, goves two paths aang can work towards, with one seemingly being more easiest and straightforward (get strong enouh to kill him) or the harder and more convoluted (learn to control your inner demons so that you won't have to kill him and get destroyed in the process), leading to less filler and a heigthen sense of danger brought by a clearer indication Ozai couldn't have been one-man punched by aang before the comet even without the elements AND makes the turtle seem less of an ass pull.
>>
>>77620452
I think that was the point: Pacifist gotta learn to fight back and Angry violent chick gotta learn to chill.
>>
>>77619454
>Toph trained
She spent a few years fucking around with badgermoles.

Somehow, that allows her to have to unique special snowflake powers, and unique snowflake style of bending, and allows her to fight Bumi, a master with decades of experience all during wartime, to a draw.

She managed to be more of a special snowflake than Aang, who has a built in reason to be a snowflake.
>>
>>77616901
>Korra in Aang's spot would have wiped the floor with Ozai
you mean the girl that lost to basement-dwelling chi blockers? the same one that lost to Unalaq in her avatar state?
>>
>>77617033
Well, technically Aang in Korra's times wouldn't really do anything, because he would not fuck the world like Korra did.
>>
>>77624339
Aang, the same guy who lost to Yu Yan archers and Jet? The guy who lost to Azula while in the Avatar state?

See, I can do it too.
>>
>>77624323
Wait, when did Bumi get fought to a draw against toph?
>>
>>77617100
>by having turtles solve all of Aangs moral problems
they didn't solve anything.
>>
>>77624385
>Yu Yan archers
archers that trained all of their lives? the ones that can pin a fly to a tree without killing it? five of them? while not even trying to harm them at all?!?!?! sure.

>lost to Azula while in the Avatar state?
you mean 'while activating the avatar state'.
>>
Aang never would've fallen for Korra so he never would've brought her along. Obviously Sokka wouldn't go either then since he only went for Katara. Aang probably would've just went it alone and lost at Ba Sing Se.
>>
>>77624502
>archers that trained all of their lives? the ones that can pin a fly to a tree without killing it? five of them? while not even trying to harm them at all?!?!?! sure.
Archers that even Sokka beat? Real impressive.

>you mean 'while activating the avatar state'.
Korra lost against another avatar. Aang lost to a normal bender.
>>
File: ITBEGINS.png (170KB, 390x307px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ITBEGINS.png
170KB, 390x307px
>>77618155
>teen Korra with 12 year old Toph
>>
>>77624602
>Archers that even Sokka beat? Real impressive.
archers aren't impressive at close range

>Korra lost against another avatar
with 1 element and no past lives? that's no avatar.

>Aang lost to a normal bender.
are we ignoring the dai li there, by the way?
>>
>>77624602
How exactly dis aokka defeat archers whomhad a single apperance in the show, while sokka was tripping?

And you completely ignore the fact the at command avatar stste of aang was fully formed (that's what the injury bloocking it was about), and he wasn't when he did that, doofus.
>>
>>77624502
You mean lost to Azula and Zuko after they called an army of highly trained Earthbenders to help them?
>>
>>77624693
>archers aren't impressive at close range
Meaning Sokka managed to close distance, whereas the master of evasion couldn't.

>are we ignoring the dai li there, by the way?
Did the Dai Li attack him? Nope. They didn't do anything.

>with 1 element and no past lives? that's no avatar.
Still has a massive powerup from the spirit. Meanwhile, Azula has 1 element, no past lives, and no powerup, meaning she definitely isn't an Avatar.

>>77624736
>How exactly dis aokka defeat archers whomhad a single apperance in the show, while sokka was tripping?
They had multiple appearances.

>And you completely ignore the fact the at command avatar stste of aang was fully formed (that's what the injury bloocking it was about), and he wasn't when he did that, doofus.
Please try re-writing that sentence so it's able to be read.
>>
>>77624339
Well, she would have definitely not dicked around every single village in the world while having a fucking 9 month deadline to do something that takes decades for all avatars to learn, but she would have probably tried to face Ozai earlier even if she weren't ready for that.

>>77624383
>Amon was an asshole that wanted to get rid of bending for personal reasons so he wouldn't have listened to any kind of peace talks
>Aang would have definitely thought that Unalaq wanted the best for everyone and would have put Jinora's life over satan getting loose
>Korra does nothing at all in Book 3
>The whole Kuvira thing depends on how Aang can handle PTSD
>>
>>77624836
Then you are gonna have to show a very good proof of it, because every sources state they appeared only in the blue spirit. Every random archer in the show wasn't a Yuchan archer.
>>
>>77624942
Comics nigga.
>inb4 comics aren't canon
>>
>>77624971
Well, you already answered your own question.
>>
>>77624339
>you mean the girl that lost to basement-dwelling chi blockers?
You say that like chi-blockers aren't super dangerous regardless of how long they've trained.

Ty Lee could disable entire elite earthbending platoons.

The chiblockers in LoK took out pretty much every main character and the Republic City police force at least once.
>>
>>77624836
>master of evasion couldn't
He was too busy avoiding the arrows from the five of them, something Sokka didn't need to do.

>Did the Dai Li attack him? Nope
The dai li were fighting all of them, so to answer your question, yes, the dai li attacked; that's the reason he had to try the avatar state in the first place.

> massive powerup from the spirit
Not really. Avatar is basically strong because of past lives. It's a slightly better bending without it. Also, that boost only goes to one element for Unalaq, and is a boost Korra has with all elements + past lives. Aang, on the other hand, didn't get to use the avatar state, and was being swarmed by the dai li.
>>
>>77624868
>9 month deadline to do something that takes decades for all avatars to learn
you do realize the impossibility here, right?

>she would have probably tried to face Ozai earlier even if she weren't ready for that.
trying to fight people she cannot defeat is Korra's thing. It didn't really work for her.
>>
>>77625015
>Ty Lee could disable entire elite earthbending platoons.
she is an elite chi blocker, saying they are dangerous 'regardless of how long they have trained' is just an assumption. Not only that, chi blocking still a form of martial art, that you need to know how to avoid, hit, block, etc. Korra trained martial arts all of her life.
>>
>>77625089
>The dai li were fighting all of them, so to answer your question, yes, the dai li attacked
They literally only threw one attack the whole fight. They just stood around as intimidation. It wasn't like they were all chucking rocks at Aang to bring him down.

>Not really. Avatar is basically strong because of past lives. It's a slightly better bending without it
Objectively wrong. The main power comes from the Avatar State, the past lives just brings experience.

> Aang, on the other hand, didn't get to use the avatar state
He was in the Avatar state. He just decided to float around like a retard.
>>
>>77625159
>trying to fight people she cannot defeat is Korra's thing. It didn't really work for her.

Yeah but it turned out that Ozai can be easily defeated with just the avatar state
>>
>>77624323
technically she's been training with them for more than half her life
if she was 3 or 4 when she first got lost, and she's 11-12 in the original series, that could be 8-9 years depending on when she stopped

Sometimes kids are just really good at certain things because they have a knack for it and completely immerse themselves in it
It's why you'll see "prodigies" who are amazing at instruments, board games and puzzles, or even just stuff like math and/or science
it happens all the time
>>
>>77625221
We have no idea how long Ty Lee trained. You can't say she's elite because she's the only one we saw.

> that you need to know how to avoid, hit, block, etc. Korra trained martial arts all of her life.
Time of training isn't something magical where whoever has more training automatically wins. You can observe this through literally every underage character in the series.
>>
>>77625304
>if she was 3 or 4 when she first got lost, and she's 11-12 in the original series, that could be 8-9 years depending on when she stopped
And how much hardcore training can you do when you're 3 or 4, when you're barely old enough to walk and not shit your pants?

How much formal experience can you learn from badgermoles, which are mainly used as beasts of burden?

How many child prodigies can beat adults, especially in physical endeavors?
>>
>>77625230
>only threw one attack the whole figh
they were attacking not only Aang, but Katara. Would you just watch it, or try to use a power you still not fully master to defeat the dai li? fact is, he was trying to take the dai li when Azula attacked, it wasn't a 1x1 fight so you can't really bring it here.

>the past lives just brings experience
>just
bending power is basically experience. That's why an old bender is way stronger than a newbie.

>He was in the Avatar state
he was still activating. Korra, on the other hand, was already fighting with it and still lost.
>>
>>77625237
to be honest, the fight with Ozai heavily depended on him allowing Aang to fight in the first place. He had an army; he could just call them to crush Aang. We have to accept Ozai was 'mad with power' and wanted to 1x1 Aang. The point is, Korra's way doesn't work, in a rational way. It only works if you assume Ozai will be mad with power in the first place, something they can't really know. She probably would do exactly what Aang did, but what Aang did was wrong.
>>
>>77625476
>That's why an old bender is way stronger than a newbie.

From what I've seen to be a decent bender/figher in the avatarverse you have to be a teenager or an oldfag
>>
>>77617003
Actually Katara had way more annoying feminist undertones than Korra (who didn't really have any).
>>
>>77625318
>We have no idea how long Ty Lee trained
Azula says she needed an elite team to find the avatar. We know she is 'elite'.

>Time of training isn't something magical where whoever has more training automatically wins
no, it just means that the guy that trained more is incompetent for not winning.

>You can observe this through literally every underage character in the series
they were basically fighting against the FN. It is said multiples times that 'anyone can be part of the fire nation army'. Basically, most of the people they fight are untrained. Sokka literally just walks in and becomes a FN soldier.
>>
>>77625612
>a teenager or an oldfag
more like, 'a genius or an oldfag', but basically this.
>>
>>77625656
They weren't really benders but Mai and Ty Lee taking down elite soldiers by themselves ended up being to me the last straw of how bad the "hapless adult syndrome" was in this series.
>>
>>77625476
>they were attacking not only Aang, but Katara.
They didn't throw a single shot at Katara.

>bending power is basically experience
It really isn't.

>That's why an old bender is way stronger than a newbie.
Have you seen the show? Young benders beat old benders all the time.

>he was still activating
He already was in it. If he wasn't in the state, he wouldn't have died when Azula shot him with lighting.
>Korra, on the other hand, was already fighting with it and still lost.
Korra was fighting somebody more powerful than anybody Aang's ever fought. Unalaq in the Avatar state could easily beat comet Ozai.

>>77625627
>Azula says she needed an elite team to find the avatar. We know she is 'elite'.
Mai got her skill from throwing knives at a wall when bored. You can't just assume Ty Lee went to some special academy.

>no, it just means that the guy that trained more is incompetent for not winning.
Which happens to dozens of better trained benders in the series. Besides, not all of the Equalists were recent recruits. A good deal of them had been with Amon for years.

> Basically, most of the people they fight are untrained
I'm not talking about the mooks.

Zuko beat Zhao despite Zhao having more training.

Toph fought Bumi to a draw despite Bumi having literally decades more experience.

Katara beat Hama despite Hama having way more experience.

And so on.
>>
File: hqdefault-2.jpg (9KB, 480x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hqdefault-2.jpg
9KB, 480x360px
>>77625380
Tiger Woods was a golf prodigy
>>
She'd probably be the one to instigate the incest with sokka instead of the other way around.
>>
>>77625784
>They didn't throw a single shot at Katara.
they were just preparing to gang up on her, and you expect Aang to do nothing, ignore the dai li, and focus on fighting Azula. Not gonna happen.

>Young benders beat old benders all the time
the show only have: genius young benders, untrained midle-age benders, and old and OP benders. You could say the young defeat the middle-age ones exactly because they train, showing how training is important.

>He already was in it
it wasn't ready to fight yet; being 'active enough to lose the past lives' (what i think you mean by that) is different than 'ready to kick ass'. Fact is, we know Korra was in full control and fighting Unalaq, and still lost. And then we know Aang was forced to activate a power he didn't really understand yet to fight Azula + dai li.

>Korra was fighting somebody more powerful than anybody Aang's ever fought
Huge assumption, and she should be by logic stronger than him, but she isn't.

>Mai got her skill from throwing knives at a wall when bored
fact is, she was good at it, we can't deny since she defeated an elite group of earthbenders. It doesn't really matter how she got the skill. And we're talking about Ty lee here, hand-picked by Azula because, by her own words, she needed an elite group.

>A good deal of them had been with Amon for years
We know the equalists are just normal citizens. They don't live by their martial art. Hell, they had to train at night. We can't really assume the best recruit just 'happens to find Korra' and beat her alone.

>Zuko beat Zhao despite Zhao having more training
the water spirit defeated Zhao. Zuko was just fighting very well against an opponent we don't know how much training had.

>Toph fought Bumi to a draw despite Bumi having literally decades more experience
Toph is a genius, and the fight didn't even come to a conclusion, it's hard to even say it was a draw.
>>
>>77625784
>Katara beat Hama despite Hama having way more experience
Katara is a genius, and Hama only really have the bloodbending thing going on for her. It's unlikely she even met another bloodbender or knew how to defend herself from it. I don't think she had as much experience fighting as Katara.
>>
>>77626254
>I don't think she had as much experience fighting as Katara.

Katara had been waterbending for less than a year when they fought.
>>
>>77625784
You have some good points, but are you seriously arguing that Ty Lee is not elite? She is arguably the best fighter in the series, not counting Avatar shenanigans. She only loses when at a severe tactical disadvantage.
>>
>>77626228
>they were just preparing to gang up on her, and you expect Aang to do nothing
That's not the same as "Dai Li were all attacking Aang"

>you could say the young defeat the middle-age ones exactly because they train, showing how training is important.
But that doesn't hold up because the middle-aged ones have trained way more than the young ones.

>it wasn't ready to fight yet
So? Korra could activate it instantly while Aang had to float around like a retard. Sounds like a point in Korra's favor to me.

>Fact is, we know Korra was in full control and fighting Unalaq, and still lost
Korra was fighting an opponent leagues stronger than Azula, Zuko and Dai Li agents combined.

> And then we know Aang was forced to activate a power he didn't really understand yet to fight Azula + dai li.
He did understand it. He knew he had to let go in order to activate it.

>Huge assumption, and she should be by logic stronger than him, but she isn't.
How is it a huge assumption that an Avatar is more powerful than anybody Aang's fought? The strongest person Aang fought was comet powered Ozai, who Aang was keeping up with and could have beaten even without the Avatar state.

>We know the equalists are just normal citizens
A good deal of Equalists had been training with Amon for years. You can't just say they're all crappy fighters.

>Zuko was just fighting very well against an opponent we don't know how much training had.
Zuko beat Zhao in the Agni Kai both in the beginning of the series and at the book 1 finale.

>Toph is a genius
So your training anecdote suddenly doesn't count because she's a genius?

>>77626352
>She is arguably the best fighter in the series
That's a stretch. She was only successful because nobody knew what the fuck chi blocking was. Suki kept up with her in the rematch and Katara was doing pretty well despite having to fight her and Mai simultaneously.
>>
>>77626352
Of course she is, but she 15 year old from a rich family that went to a boarding school and then joined a circus.

It doesn't make any sense for her to beat elite trained soldiers who have been fighting the war for most of their lives.
>>
>>77626455
It kind of makes sense if you think of it as Azula beibg a super-genius who saw her potential from an early age and befriended her for that very reason. Other than that it's just kind of silly for a random teenage girl to be a goddess of pugilism but you still have to accept it as canon.
>>
>>77618831
>She'd try to fight the Fire King on day one.
She's probably win, she had three elements down as a damn five year old.
Thread posts: 76
Thread images: 8


[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]
Please support this website by donating Bitcoins to 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
If a post contains copyrighted or illegal content, please click on that post's [Report] button and fill out a post removal request
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site. This means that 4Archive shows an archive of their content. If you need information for a Poster - contact them.