[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do film critics have such low standards for animation? I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: 2015-11-20_20.08.11.jpg (112KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
2015-11-20_20.08.11.jpg
112KB, 720x720px
Why do film critics have such low standards for animation? I know Ebert based his ratings on how he thought the target audience would like the film, but you'd think most critics would praise films with artistic merit and originality.

Of course I'm glad that they shower truly great animated films like Song of the Sea, Fantastic Mr Fox, and most Pixar and Aardman, with lots of praise. But when they give the same love to manufactured, brain-rotting dreck like this, it disheartens me.
>>
Fuck you, fag.

Jimmy Neutron and Horton were good.
>>
Madagascar 3 was fucking fantastic, circus afro aside.
>>
File: pic2015-11-09-21h26m51s350.png (723KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
pic2015-11-09-21h26m51s350.png
723KB, 1280x720px
Come on OP, while those movies don't reach the levels of what you mentioned, they're not complete garbage. You just hate them and that other people like them.
>>
>>77602518
Only Cars and Boxtrolls are questionable, but I loved all these other films. I have yet to watch Boxtrolls so maybe my opinion could change. Jimmy Neutron doesn't hold up well, but me 14 years ago enjoyed it.
>>
I liked despicable me 2
>>
>>77602661
Boxtrolls is a solid C
Its the weakest of all of Laika's films but its still very good style and animation
>>
File: ihy.jpg (32KB, 465x750px) Image search: [Google]
ihy.jpg
32KB, 465x750px
>>77602518
>the meme in which we pretend Cars was bad
>>
>>77602755
>>the meme in which we pretend Cars was bad

It really wasn't. I think people just assume it because it was their weakest entry since A Bug's Life, and it warrant unwanted sequels and a Disney-Spinoff with Planes. IMO a bit boring and definitely one of the weakest, but I don't hate it.
>>
>>77602518
>Song of the Sea
>Fantastic Mr. Fox
>Aardman

Spot the angry britbong
>>
There is something in the middle between a great film and a bad film. I haven't seen all the ones in that pic but the ones I did see were fine, serviceable films, certainly hitting the mark for what they set out to do. Compared to quite a lot of other animation out there, these movies aren't bad at all and their scores are pretty fair.
>>
>>77602518
>reading critics' opinions ever
>>
>>77602518
>Ebert
He thought Weekend at Bernie's was bad, so I don't care.
>>
>>77602755
>the counter-meme where we pretend Cars is good because god help us if anybody has an unopposed opinion

While it isn't Hitler given new form it isn't a spectacular film.
You can drop the "dreamworks shits gold" meme too.
>>
>>77603150
*pixar
They might as well be the same thing nowadays.
>>
File: 1263246557476.png (138KB, 256x258px) Image search: [Google]
1263246557476.png
138KB, 256x258px
>>77602518
>fun for all the family 10/10

Mostly american critics give notes about the content, not the movie

Violent movies will be called "unnecessary" and children movies will be called "innocent fun"

Even the so-sacred Ebert used to do that all the time.
>>
>Cars
>2006
Fuck what year is it
>>
>>77603298
I have no clue. Up was the last Pixar movie, right?
>>
>>77602556
>poor man's dexter with ps1-tier visuals
>bulldozing seuss's legacy with pop culture references
fight me f.am
>>
>>77602908
Wonder if limeys actually did like Mr Fox, even though all the animals were voiced by amerikeks
>>
>most are around 75%
sounds about right to me
they were just ok
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.