[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't you reading Valiant?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 82
Thread images: 12

File: Valiant-logo-main-master.jpg (1MB, 1974x2864px) Image search: [Google]
Valiant-logo-main-master.jpg
1MB, 1974x2864px
Why aren't you reading Valiant?
>>
The art is largely unappealing
>>
Finished Archer & Armstrong, Eternal Warrior and The Valiant not too long ago. Half way done with Bloodshot. Any other recommendations?
>>
>>77596975
Quantum and Woody is great. It can get a little too "wacky" but overall it's a fun book
>>
>>77596993
Wacky's fine as long as it's well written wacky. How are their team books like Unity?
>>
>>77596335
Too edgy and full of gore and death.
I prefer my COMIC books to be Fun, not edgy.
>>
File: image.jpg (207KB, 600x923px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
207KB, 600x923px
I have a pretty strict "no fatties" rule.
>>
The flying fat blonde girl isn't even close to new. She was boring when she was first introduced well over twenty years ago.
Or is it a different flying obese blonde chick from the one I read in harbinger?
>>
Been thinking about storytiming a comic to try and get more people into it. What's the best entry Valiant book?

>>77597392
Just ignore the shit post
>>
>>77597337
Your loss is my gain.
>>
>>77597076
Small team, mostly revolves around Ninjak, Gilad and Livewire, X-O is called when shit needs to be done.
Try The Delinquents.
>>77597337
Is someone whipping you to read that mini?
>>
>>77596335

But I am, finished Book of Death not long ago and I was going to catch up on Imperium later.

>>77596975

Harbinger is great as is >>77596993

>>77597337

The people complaining about this book are idiots who have never read or heard of Valiant before.

>>77597472

Harbinger is fun
>>
>>77596431
this was true 2 years ago, not anymore.

almost everything they are putting out now is above average dc/marvel art
>>
>>77596975
Harbinger was great, my favorite Valiant book. It's follow up of sorts, Imperium, is also great.

Ivar, Timewalker is a lot of fun, but very cliche time travel stuff.

The Death Defying Doctor Mirage is also great.

>>77597472
>What's the best entry Valiant book?
Harbinger. It's like the X-Men, except well handled.
>>
>>77597472
Harbinger and X-O Manowar.
>>
>>77597554
>>
>>77597615
>>
>>77596335
Because I've already seen the movie, okay? I saw the birds and they were carrier pigeons. Like Speckled Jim
>>
>>77597635
>>
It's never caught my eye.
>>
>>77597540
>>77597592
>>77597605
Looks like Harbinger is the one. I'll try and do it some time between now and next yeat
>>
>>77597666
>>
>>77597337
Just looked her up. Her power is flying? No wonder she looks like that. She should try walking more.
>>
>>77597748
>>
>>77597732
Harbinger and X-O are titles from which other books are branching. Sure, there are comedy books like Archer and Armstrong, but to get whole timeline, you gotta read at least Harbinger.
>>77597759
She was fat before powers, anon.
>>
I've been reading their entire publication history in order of release date. So far I've read X-O Manowar, Harbinger, Bloodshot, Archer & Armstrong, and Quantum and Woody. Eternal Warrior is up next.
>>
>>77597870
Don't forget one-shot like 1% and Punk Mambo.
>>
I'm reading Ninjak and Wrath of the eternal warrior. I also read Valiant's mini universe reboot - the book of death.
>>
>>77597759
Harbinger powers are directly linked to your psyche and insecurities

fat whale gets the ability to be weightless

crippled redneck gets huge muscles

dispassionate stripper gets the power to light anything on fire

e.t.c.
>>
>>77596335
I got bored of all their characters by 1998
>>
>>77597913
harbinger, imperium and archer & armstrong are superior to anything in OG valiant honestly

and they have some good new characters too
>>
>>77597891
I've been reading most of them in trade form, and they usually include those.

>>77597870
I forgot to add Shadowman to the list.
>>
>>77597948
>Harada sees God
>I'll beat him
>>
>>77597870
Eternal Warrior is pretty skippable to be honest, it got cancelled without any resolution and the only thing in it that any other writer referenced is the nergal guys from the first arc
>>
>>77596335
No cinematic universe. :^)
>>
>>77598006
Harada did literally nothing wrong

>>77598020
http://www.theverge.com/2015/4/23/8478129/sony-valiant-entertainment-film-deal-cinematic-universe

5 movie deal with potential for more if its successful
>>
I'm enjoying Valiant stuff more than recent Marvel and DC, honestly.
I only found out they came back this year, so I'm catching up on the earlier stuff from the relaunch.
>>
>>77598006
>>77598058
Harada is probably my favorite comic antagonist ever. Or at least on par with the not-F4 from Planetary.
>>
If anyone wants to read the whole universe here is a complete reading order
http://pastebin.com/wZ0Teyx8

It's out of date by about 5 months but its a good list.
>>
>>77598116
Thanks anon!
>>
>>77597948
>>77598006

How is Divinity anyway? Looks like a pretty interesting character, but one thing I love about Valiant, especially the characters in Harbinger is that they play the moral ambiguity very well between Peter and Harada. You really don't know who to root for.

>>77598058

Do you really think it'll take off? Valiant seem pretty niche compared to Marvel and DC's cinematic universes but if the whole "I'M SUCH A NERD XD" trend ends then I guess they could cater to niche audiences to be popular and rake in profit.
>>
>>77598109
did you read Book of Death: Harbinger ? Harada at his best.
>>
>>77598161
>How is Divinity anyway?
It's awesome mini, and later he shows up in Imperium for duel with Harada.
>>
>>77598161
Divinity is good, his latest arc was by the Imperium / Harbinger writer and was fucking incredible
>>
>>77598109

Definitely one of mine too, even to the point I bought his first appearance and framed it on my wall.

>>77598197

I was waiting for the hardcover to come out but I knew he shows up in Imperium since I got the two newest issues this week.
>>
>>77598197
Also, I think they're doing Divinity II next year sometime. Not sure if that'll be another mini or an ongoing, but either way works for me.
>>
>>77598379
I'd rather mini. You know when it'll start, you know when it'll end, story can go nicely and don't feel rushed.
>>
So since Harbinger was 24 or 25 issues do you think Imperium will be the same? If I remember correctly Dysart mentioned he had at least three stories planned for the Psiost stuff.
>>
>>77598379
its a mini. supposedly its going to be about what happened to the other two astronauts he was with.
>>
>>77598465
its essentially confirmed to be 25 issues, Harbinger is coming back for another volume at some point though so maybe they will be running simulatenously for a bit.
>>
>>77597793
I loved everything about Doctor Mirage. Can't wait for Second Lives.
>>
>>77598062
What have you read so far
>>
>>77598637

I haven't read Doctor Mirage due to being disappointed in Shadowman and finding it shitty but does it at least be a better Shadowman than Shadowman?
>>
>>77599401
its way way way better than shadowman

different writer and they got the good artist who did the last few shadowman issues
>>
I don't know where get them in spanish
>>
>>77599634

Spain have comic shops don't they? I was in one in the summer in a Spanish town but I'm not so sure how popular they are compared to places like in the UK or US where they are more widespread.
>>
>>77599712
more like Latam bud. as I know in Spain at least comics are still a thing there
here in this forgotten land of nowhere comics are reduced in numbers and just the most popular stuff arrives here so forget about try to find IDW, anything from Image (that's not the walking dead), Boom and naturally Valiant
>>
I'll tell you what, I've been a Marvelfag for the longest time, but recently it turned to shit so utterly and completely I couldn't stand to read anything they put out. The writers are going through the motions, nothing ever really changes and the little that does just proves how everything else stays the same. The politicking has gotten SO blatant it's unbearable. And the most fascinating thing in american superhero comics, the shared universe, went to shit as well - to the point where it seems like every book is a different world with the same characters.

This is why I finally decided to start branching out recently - got some Image, got some IDW, some Hellboy, the Don Rosa and Carl Barks collections too, obviously. But it's all self-contained series. Sure, Hellboy has a few spin-offs, but that's not really a "shared universe".

A while ago someone recommended Archer and Armstrong to me, and I loved it, even though going in I knew nothing about it other that Fred van Lente was writing. During my time reading it, however, I found out it got a crossover with another series. And that's how I found out a new shared universe I could enjoy - although I gotta say,some of the names of the writing talents don't instil too much confidence - for example, I still remember Duane Swierczynski's lackluster Cable run, or how bad Christos Gage's Avengers Academy has gotten in it's second half.
But, once I've voiced my concerns, I was assured they're on their top game writing for Valiant, so I guess there's no harm in taking a stab at it.

So now the only reason I'm not reading Valiant is because I need a decent chart so I know in what order I should read it.
>>
>>77600245
The Valiant gives you a good feel for the universe. Harbingers a good entry point and there are plenty of other recommendations in this thread
>>
>>77600313
Fuck recommendations, Imma gonna read all of it, start to finish. I mean, eventually.
>>
>>77600245

I like how consistent Valiant are with their status quo and when it comes to new events but they don't really seem to be pushing SJW politics as forced as Marvel or DC are currently doing.
>>
>>77600499
If you decided to do that, you might be interested in this:
http://www.valiantdatabase.com/releases/veibydate/table
It has every Valiant (2012+) release ordered by release date.
>>
>>77600245
see >>77598116

and christos gage's bloodshot stuff was really fucking good, swierczynski's wasnt amazing but the first issue is still fantastic
>>
>>77600500
Even better
>>
>>77600521
>>77600529
And thank you both.
>>
>>77600500
i think the good thing about valiant is that they don't really have a status quo

Aric, Bloodshot, The Renegades, Harada, Ninjak, Livewire, Shadowman and Archer have all changed and developed greatly throughout the last few years. Quantum and Woody and Eternal Warrior have a kind of status quo to them but even with Gilad a lot of things have changed.
>>
>>77600499

Before you start Harbinger I strongly advise reading issue 0, Harada's origin before starting the first issue, it's a fantastic issue with amazing artwork that really goes into the mind, psyche and reason for all of Harada's actions and goals. It'd help you get a better understanding as to why he's doing all the shit he's doing.

So top five Valiant characters? My list is:

Toyo Harada
Master Darque
Woody
Armstrong
Aric
>>
>>77600698
1. Sunlight on snow
2. Harada
3. Archer
4. Quartz
5. Faith
>>
>>77597948
Reboot Harbinger is only good because of Harada. The rest of it is just complete shit when compared to the original because Dysart had his priorities wrong
>>
>>77598161
>How is Divinity anyway?
Had potential to be fantastic, but they ruined it by shoehorning in Unity
>>
>>77596335

I was reading Bloodshot until they killed off my two favorite members of the supporting cast for the sake of being edgy.
>>
>>77601190
I disagree, the only weak character in the main cast was charlene. Everyone else was fantastic, especially kris.
>>
File: 1431751254162.jpg (20KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
1431751254162.jpg
20KB, 720x404px
It's not that I'm not interested, I just don't have the time for it, printing it or otherwise. I do love it and I follow one or two titles like events and currently Bloodshot Reborn, but I'm not as invested as I am with DC.

DC > Valiant > Dark Horse > Image > Marvel
>>
>>77601628
You print comics you download?
>>
>>77596335
Because I'm already ashamed of reading Big Two garbage, and I don't feel like making the leap to being a full on hipster. Comic books suck, but if I have to have such a shitty hobby, I'll at least read the stuff that won't get me thrown out of job interviews.
>>
>>77601765
>2015
>Not printing your pirated comics in case the comic police come knocking on your door
Superman can't save you from the feds, Anon.
>>
>>77601804
I'm sure the cape and acne will get you thrown out, but blame the funny books all you want.
>>
Cause all the Valiant stuff i've read is boring as fuck.
>>
>>77601628
Okay then.

>>77601440
Anon is right.

>>77600698
>>77601056
1. Toyo Motherfucking Hadara aka Our Lord and Savior
2. Woody
3. Doctor Mirage (Shan)
4. Rai
5. Archer
>>
I read every thing they put out since 2012 and I fucking love it, they deserve to have more sucess, their cape universe is connected in a very good way
>>
>>77601807
>2015
>not having a dead man's switch just incase the comic police come

C'mon son, you're wasting paper
>>
>>77601847
You haven't read anything by them have you
Thread posts: 82
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.