[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does this unimaginative sci fi comic get so much praise?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

File: 2012-03-10-saga1_bn.jpg (62KB, 533x336px) Image search: [Google]
2012-03-10-saga1_bn.jpg
62KB, 533x336px
Why does this unimaginative sci fi comic get so much praise?
>>
>>77578759
a blo blo blo
>>
>>77578759
Baby's first indie comic.
>>
>>77578759
>unimaginative
>>
>>77578759
Its the first many people have come across 'weird' sci-fi. I never really got into it because in the back of my mind I always thought of it as a far less interesting Spelljammer.

Speaking of witch, I think id be more interested if one of the Main couple where more overtly alien. Like if the woman was a giant mantis.
>>
>>77578832
I agree with OP, it's pretty unimaginative and generic, syfy original-tier.

I like it myself, it's fun and pretty light, albeit a little tumblr for my taste, and maybe that's why it's so liked, it's entry-level as fuck and it's pretty much a soap opera in space.
>>
>>77578832
I read through the first two trades and there was only one interesting idea between the two of them (the egg planet). This is just a paint-by-numbers Romeo and Juliet clone, but in this take the characters have tiny wings and horns.
>>
Because its an entry comic and appeals to women
>>
>>77578759

I read the first issue, and later wehn I read the Incal I realised how much of a copy of the Metabaron the Will is.

Thew hole thing doesn't have that many truly original ideas besides 'wouldn't this be quirky?'.
>>
>>77578759
Alan Moore and Garth Ennis enjoy it
>>
>>77578759
Imagine you had never read a comic book that featured people having sex in it before, or people making swears.

That's the audience this appeals to.
>>
If it does what it does well, then being unimaginative is fine.
>>
>>77578759
It's unoriginal, but I still read it. I don't read capeshit of any kind. Maybe that will help to clue you in.
>>
>>77579127
Nobody had mentioned the big 2 in this thread until you just did. Congrats. We're all very impressed that you don't read coporate comics. Wow. Here's a trophy.
>>
Fionna Staples's artwork is very nice. The writing itself is pretty bland. Prince Robot is my husbando.
>>
File: 20140731-203213-73933974.jpg (158KB, 640x364px) Image search: [Google]
20140731-203213-73933974.jpg
158KB, 640x364px
>>77579274
I don't think Staples is well suited for a sci fi book. She draws very nice characters, but everything else is lacking the creativity and the "weirdness" I like in a sci fi/fantasy story. She has entire alien worlds to create and go crazy with, but she doesn't. An example of sci fi art I do like would be Scalera's work on Black Science.
>>
>>77579374
More cool Scalera shit.
>>
>>77578759
There weren't any space opera comics on the US market when it came out so people lost their shit. Now that Image has about 20 other sci-fi comics to choose from most people realize Saga is mediocre, but it still gets all the praise and attention just because it started all this.
>>
Cause it's mostly a romance.
>>
>>77579374
Her settings and backgrounds are really the worst part of the comic
I don't know why she's won all these art awards
>>
>>77578759
It's a good comic from a good author with a solid artist that's accessible.

Don't let the tumblr boogey-man fags scare you away.
>>
File: grant morrison.jpg (14KB, 279x373px) Image search: [Google]
grant morrison.jpg
14KB, 279x373px
because brian k. vaughn created the most accessible non-capeshit comic book & most accessible image book

thats a feat in itself
>>
My guess is that its because its basically star wars plus sex. Theres plenty of "my first scifi" comics out there but this one has boobs so people think its smart AND provocative.
>>
>>77579804
What do you think is good about it?

I'm not one of the /co/ posters that sees tumblr as their personal boogeyman. I use tumblr.

>>77579986
I could appreciate Saga more if it was bringing more interest to the comics medium, but I see a lot of people who pick up Saga and don't branch out to anything else.
>>
>>77578970
Incal does not have many original ideas, either. It is based on Tarot cards and Dune.

Nothing has many "truly original ideas", unless you look at really experimental stuff.
>>
>>77580049
>I could appreciate Saga more if it was bringing more interest to the comics medium,

why don't you just mind your own business?

>I use tumblr.
oh, figures
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.