[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you consider "must reads" for someone wanting

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: marvel.png (2MB, 1200x688px) Image search: [Google]
marvel.png
2MB, 1200x688px
What would you consider "must reads" for someone wanting to get more into Marvel?
>>
>>77575091
Google.
>>
Start with the Kirbies and Ditkos.
>>
X-Factor Vol. 3. I don't think it will help you understand the Marvel universe but it's the best comic run Marvel ever had as far as I'm concerned.
>>
>>77575091

Depends on how deep on the rabbit hole you are willing to go and/or if you have a specific character or team in mind
>>
>>77575091
>>77575283

Wait, never mind, I just remembered Marvels. That's where you should start. It gives a broad view of the Marvel Universe from the start with Namor and the Human Torch.
>>
>>77575091
You want to get into Marvel or become a complainer that will be screaming not MUH Marvel in no time?
>>
>>77575283
>>77575339
I read a lot of X-Men comics as a kid, but my memory's too hazy to remember which Universe the ones I was reading were from. I also really like Howard the Duck and got caught up with the reboot recently, but all the references to other Marvel characters are part of what's making me interested in getting to know the Universe better.
>>
>>77575091
Miller's Daredevil
>>
>>77575091
claremont's x-men, ultimate spiderman, millar daredevil, whatever you want of the fantastic four, and the rest don't matter.
>>
>>77575394
So current Marvel then. Start with Invincible Iron Man #1, Amazing Spider-Man #1, Guardians of the Galaxy #1, Extraordinary X-Men #1 and All-New All Different Avengers #1. Those are the essentials for current Marvel. You might want to read Uncanny Inhumans and Uncanny Avengers too but they are not that important.
>>
File: 1404517775057.jpg (65KB, 354x451px) Image search: [Google]
1404517775057.jpg
65KB, 354x451px
>>77576015
>just the worst books marvel is shitting out alongside Squirrel Girl
>>
>>77575091
Clone Saga

One More Day

Their actually really great so dont listen to the dumb haters and form your own oppinion
>>
>>77576043
>Squirrel Girl

Why the fuck does /co/ hate this series? It's fucking terrific.
>>
>>77576015

>current marvel
>good

Pick one.

>>77575842

This is the best answer so far.
>>
Classic:
Chris Claremont's X-Men
Peter David's Hulk
Frank Miller's Daredevil
Joe Kelly's Deadpool
Modern:
Morrison's X-Men
Bendis' Daredevil
Vaughan's Runaways
>>
>>77576128
>>77576043
Can I have a reason why Modern Marvel is bad that's something besides "It's... progressive... and different ;_;"
>>
Idk why they got spiderman in front like he sum type of goon, he gun be the first to get his shit rocked.
>>
>>77576172
can you form your own opinion through experience?
>>
>>77575091

Daredevil by Frank Miller is a must, probably some of the best cape comics and easily some of Marvel's best

Stan Lee/Jack Kirby Fantastic Four is legendary and one of the few Silver Age comics I found to be quite enjoyable to read

Chris Claremont's X-Men is like your essential X-Men

I could recommend some newer stuff by whether that's "must read" is debatable
>>
File: Dd.jpg (51KB, 402x468px) Image search: [Google]
Dd.jpg
51KB, 402x468px
>>77575842
>millar daredevil
>millar
>Mark Millar, not based fucking Frank Miller
>>
>>77576228
I'll take your newer recommendations.
>>
>>77576043
>the shittiest books
>all the important ones
typical /co/ poster
>>
>>77576172
classic arvel is where the writers build the world and the characters.
Modern marvel is more interested in keeping the status quo and when a change happens it's editorially mandated for business reason rather than storytelling ones, and it's usually just a façade of change.
So the main books are just running in circles continually rehashing old plots.
The good stories are outside the main books where writers have more creative freedom.
>>
>>77576266

Ultimate Spider-Man by Brian Michael Bendis

The Ultimates (volume 1 and 2) by Mark Millar, also "Ultimate Comics: The Ultimates" by Jonathan Hickman

Dark Reign by Bendis and Secret Warriors by Jonathan Hickman (all of this is kind of tied together)

Hickman's Avengers, Hickman's Fantastic Four

The Immortal Iron Fist

Matt Fraction's Hawkeye

Mark Waid's Daredevil
>>
>>77575091
>Marvels & Marvels: Eye of the Camera
>Earth-X
>Shooter's Marvel Superheroes: Secret Wars
>Lee/Kirby FF
>Bendis' Ultimate Spider-man
>Miller's Daredevil
>Simonson's Thor
>Busiek's Avengers
>Morrison's New X-men
>Gruenwald's Squadron Supreme
>Ellis' Moon Knight and Ellis' Iron man: Extremis
>Kelly's Deadpool
>Ennis' Punisher MAX
That should give you a pretty good spread of "must reads" for various characters with Marvels/Eye of the Camera and Earth-X being general must-reads for the universe. Marvels is the golden and silver ages through the eyes of a photo journalist with Eyes of the Camera being the sequel about the bronze age and Earth-X is kind of Marvel's Kingdom Come equivalent. Marvel Superheroes: Secret Wars is Marvel's first "event" comic (debatable second if you count Contest of Champions) and is noteworthy for that, and is also a pretty good comic in its own right.
>>
>>77576172
It-s shit, Marvel stopped being good in the mid 80-s
>>
>>77576384
>>77575091
Oh, I'll also add:
>Starlin's Warlock/Thanos Quest/Infinity Gauntlet
>Annihilation + all the tie-ins
>Steranko's Nick Fury, Agent of SHIELD
>Fraction's Immortal Iron Fist
>Spencer's Superior Foes of Spider-man
>Thunderbolts (everything except Fightbolts and Frankbolts)
>>
>>77576440
>>77575091
Oh AND:
>Death of Captain Marvel
>Fraction's Hawkeye
>Millar's Ultimates 1 & 2
>Peter David's Incredible Hulk (or at least Future Imperfect since his run on Hulk is extremely long with some ups and downs, but FI is a pretty self-contained story within it and one of the highest points)
>X-Statix
>Remender's Uncanny X-force
>Silver Surfer: Requiem
>Bendis' Alias
I'm sure there's more that I'll remember to recommend in a few minutes.
>>
File: 1414325971052.jpg (101KB, 620x320px) Image search: [Google]
1414325971052.jpg
101KB, 620x320px
>>77576555
>>Death of Captain Marvel

DUDE...
>>
>>77576555
>>77575091
>I'm sure there's more that I'll remember to recommend in a few minutes
And as I thought, here's a few more:
>Ellis' NEXTWAVE
>Gillen's Journey into Mystery
>The Original Writer's Miracleman
>Moore's Captain Britain
>Kirby's The Eternals
>Lee/Jenkins' Inhumans
>>
Runs
>Miller's Daredevil
>JMS Thor
>JMS Spiderman
>De Matteis Spiderman
>Ditko Spiderman
>Macfarlane Spiderman
>Bendis Daredevil
>Bendis Ultimate Spiderman
>Brubaker Captain America
>Starlin Silver Surfer
>Gruenwalds Quasar (essential for cosmic lore and truly underrated)
>Starlin Captain Marvel
>Gruenwalds Cap
>DnA Guardians of the Galaxy
>Hickman FF
>Claremont Xmen
>Pak Hulk
>ennis punisher
>Ellis Nextwave
>Remender X-force
>Simonson Thor

Among many others.

I can suggest some one shots, minis and events if you like.
>>
>>77576160
I'd read Waid's Daredevil before Bendis'
>>
Gruenwalds Squadron Supreme
>>
>>77576956
While I like Waid's DD, it makes more sense going in chronologicaly
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.