[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Extra juicy! | Home]

The Last Unicorn

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 527
Thread images: 74

File: 2013-08-19-LUSU.jpg (218KB, 500x270px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
2013-08-19-LUSU.jpg
218KB, 500x270px
Why didn't anyone ever tell me how good this movie is?! It's like poetry. Not a kids film in the least. Heck, most adults are probably too dumb to understand the story its broader mythological context.
>>
File: mollygrue.gif (622KB, 300x225px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
mollygrue.gif
622KB, 300x225px
>>77541155
This part really got to me.
>>
>>77541155
Holy crap anon, its been over a decade since I thought of this movie...
Thanks for reminding me of something epic. Way overdue for a re-watch.
>>
>>77541188
That was most emotional scene in the movie for me. So powerful and meaningful.
>>
>>77541188
That scene is so sweet and heartbreaking. Molly sees herself as a worthless, unattractive hag. She is ashamed of who she has become. ;_;

"Where were you when I was young and new? How dare you come to me now, when I am this?"

Remember that the unicorn is a symbol of female youth and virginity.
>>
Fun fact: the animation studio that made this went on become Studio Ghibli
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (44KB, 368x418px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Untitled.jpg
44KB, 368x418px
King Haggard's design holy shit
>>
>>77541380
That dude fucking looks like Christopher Lee's voice.
>>
>>77541380
Hey, it's not like he went around calling himself King Youthfulvigor.
>>
File: 1442209526069.png (39KB, 321x322px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1442209526069.png
39KB, 321x322px
>>77541155
I want to fuck that unicorn.
>>
>>77541515
Get in line buddy.
>>
Everybody says it's a good movie. It just had the misfortune to come out in 1982 along with The Secret of NIMH, Tron, Blade Runner, Star Trek II, The Dark Crystal, and the record holder for highest-grossing movie for the next 10 years, E.T.
>>
>>77541483
That's...huh. That's somehow really fucking descriptive.
>>
>>77541188
>>77541332
Too many feels. And she forgives her, just like that and decides to help. Truly Molly is best.
>>
>>77541155
>>77541188
My childhood...
>>
>>77541155
It's weird yet fascinating.

Unicorns are fucking jerks, I'm glad Gravity Falls' version had this personality too.
>>
>>77541155
This movie shows that unicorns are entitled assholes.
>>
Don't read the book unelss you wanna get depressed and weirded out by some oddball humour.

Explains the wizard better. I didn't know he was cursed with immortality until he stopped being a fuckup.
>>
>>77541515

Wait 'til you see it turn into a woman.
>>
>>77541155
Holy shit, my mates and I found this on dvd at a closing down video store and watched it last week.
We've been cracking jokes about this movie since.

That theme song is so annoyingly catchy.
>>
>>77541155
It would work really well as a single season animated series, with expanded plot and character backstories, possibly closer to the book.

The wizard, Schmendrick, would have a bigger role too. Best character.
>>
>>77541380

>This was Christopher Lee's favorite book.
>He wished to play King Haggard again in a live-action adaptation.
>>
Childhood nightmare fuel, almost as bad as the red bull.

UNICORN! UUUUNNIIIICOOOORRRNNN!
>>
>>77541155
>Not a kids film in the least. Heck, most adults are probably too dumb to understand the story

Really though, do you actually wear a fedora every day? Do you publicly admit to watching /mlp/?
>>
>>77543871
>Don't read anything by Beagle unless you wanna get depressed and weirded out by some oddball humour and cry as a dude is trying to eat his dead giant buddy.
>also brown traps and zombie sweethearts and historians in happy relationships with horrifying elder gods who like dogs

Basically.
>>
>>77541188
and it's been censored ever since it came out on dvd, entirely ruining it.
>>
>>77544100

Did they censor the rapist tree?
>>
>>77541155
>most adults are probably too dumb
You know that sounds pretentious as fuck, right?
>>
>>77543998
Came here to post this. Not the nightmare fuel part, but

UUUUUNICOOORN!
>>
File: 1436609421643.png (140KB, 368x368px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1436609421643.png
140KB, 368x368px
WHEN THE LAST EAGLE FLIES
OVER THE LAST CRUMBLING MOUNTAIN
Ninja Sex Party actually did this song justice
>>
File: Tree.jpg (43KB, 1152x864px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Tree.jpg
43KB, 1152x864px
So, uh, what was the point of this scene?
>>
>>77546379
Is it a dick?
>>
> Have an ex that I thought I was going to marry
> She completely broke my heart
> This was her favorite movie
> Always wanted to watch it with her, but never got the chance

If I watch this movie now without her, does it involve themes that are going to break my heart all over again
>>
>>77541155
yup, one of the best movies I've ever seen.
>>
File: fuggg.jpg (185KB, 1009x1800px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
fuggg.jpg
185KB, 1009x1800px
>>77543912
I prefer the horse. ^:)
>>
>>77546412
It's a tree with tits.
>>
I love this movie. The character designs are weird with their gigantic noses but hey.
>>
>>77541155
Broader Mythological context?
>>
File: pirate-cat.jpg (159KB, 1280x800px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
pirate-cat.jpg
159KB, 1280x800px
>>
>>77546561
I guess be glad you didn't end up watching it with her because that would be sure to ruin it.
>>
>>77547075
>hey cat, wanna eat?
>YES!
Bam! Proven wrong in 3 seconds.
>>
>>77541155
It is a great movie but I haven't seen it in over 10 years. Gonna have to fix that. I have read the book twice in the intervening time, and it's also a good read. If I remember last, it hit me good with the feels, delicately but properly.

>>77543871
I dunno. I think the book is good and not any more depressing than the film, and I don't find the film depressing either.

>>77541539
It has aged better than E.T. at least. I still don't like that movie.
>>
File: 1336860460987.png (43KB, 669x627px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1336860460987.png
43KB, 669x627px
>Death takes what man would keep and leaves what man would lose.
>Blow, wind and crack your cheeks!
>I warm my hands before the fire of life...
>...And get four-way relief.
>>
>>77544100
It's not censored or edited on Netflix.
>>
>>77546213
Fucks me up every time.

I can't handle themes of impermanence.
>>
>>77541155
Christopher Lee actually agreed to voice King Haggard only if they insert certain lines of dialog from the book into the animated movie.
>>
File: op.jpg (50KB, 300x300px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
op.jpg
50KB, 300x300px
>>77541155
>Not a kids film in the least.
For fuck's sake

Just because a movie is enjoyable for adults or has stuff that will go over kids' heads doesn't mean it's not a children's movie.
>>
>>77546379
I got a boner from this scene when I was younger. Please tell me I'm not the only one.
>>
File: image.jpg (46KB, 358x358px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 358x358px
>>77541155
>It's like poetry
>>
>>77543978
Man.... why couldnt it have been a thing? It would of been beautiful. So beautiful.
>>
>>77553964

> tfw the fact that the Last Unicorn is doomed to be forgotten and slowly fade away fits perfectly with the themes presented in the film
>>
File: am-i-so.jpg (39KB, 500x333px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
am-i-so.jpg
39KB, 500x333px
>>77554838
Damn you..... damn this world!
>>
>>77546379
Shmendrick is really bad at magic, but also really good at it.
>>
>>77541188
I thought it made her come off as whiny
>>
File: 1381650399287.jpg (255KB, 1216x1038px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1381650399287.jpg
255KB, 1216x1038px
>>
File: haggard_bull_lo.jpg (157KB, 700x1362px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
haggard_bull_lo.jpg
157KB, 700x1362px
>>
>>77553964

The movie has been in development hell for years.
>>
>>
>>77541346
It didn't really become Ghibli, per say. It's true however that Miyazaki did take a good quarter of Topcraft's staff with him for Studio Ghibli, but even then Topcraft itself still remained until at least 1985 when the remaining people that didn't go to work at Ghibli went to Pacific Animation Corp. to work on Thundercats. and whatever else for RB.
>>
>>77544100
The newest release, and the version on Netflix, is fully restored--no censored content.

>>77553964
There's a whooole bunch of legal BS tying up the live action film rights. I think that Beagle finally got them back a few years ago but with that Conlan guy involved, god only knows what'll happen. last I heard they're working on a stage adaptation.
>>
If you like the movie, read the book. The movie adaption was written by the author of the book, but it goes more into its mythology/fantasy and man, etc. It goes more into Lir's backstory, too, and has a lot more character moments between Schmendrick/Molly/Amalthea.

It even has an in canon reason for the singing in the movie.
>>
>>77543912
Meh....she was hotter as a unicorn.
>>
>>77543978
Sad.
The movie was in production hell for like 10 years. They just dropped it all together because the thing couldn't get off the ground.
>>
>>77558441
I'd love it if he wrote a sequel to Two Hearts.
>>
>>
>>77552943
There are titties in it, anon.
>>
I got to see it in January on the tour they did. Got a signed copy of the graphic novel, too. Sadly that's been suspended because Beagle was having memory issues.
>>
The comic IDW put out a few years back was fucking beautiful.
>>
>>77544100
Lemme guess: Old lady harpy nipples
>>
>>77563452
I'm not sure about the harpy, but they censor the part where Molly says, "Damn you" when first meeting the unicorn.
>>
>>77562422
Did he really say taco?
>>
>>77563655
Yeah. It's in the book, too.
>>
>>77563151
Holy crap that is a GREAT cover. Much better than the book cover on my copy of the novel.
>>
>>77546561
Are you me?
>>
>>77563720
Beagle really liked Tacos I guess.
>>
>>77548298
You've never had a cat have you?

>Cat begging for food
>Just annoyingly begging
>Give it food
>it just sorta walks around it, doesnt eat, and acts like you're such an idiot for giving it to them

Common scene for cat owners.
>>
>>77563875
He was writing and tired when the phrase popped into his head. He thought it was funny and decided he'd use it if it was still funny the next day. And it was.
>>
>>77563966
>>77563875
>>77563720
So, were they eating tacos in that scene? I always thought he'd used some kind of old-timey speech I didn't recognize that just sounded like "taco."
>>
>>77564567
>>77564555
Well I'll be damned.
>>
>>77563452
None of the visual content was censored. It was several instances of the word "damn."

Saggy harpy tits: fine. Molesting tree: fine. "Damn you"? Good lord, no!
>>
File: 1436219999795.jpg (8KB, 184x184px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1436219999795.jpg
8KB, 184x184px
Fun fact: Christopher Lee voiced King Haggard in both the English AND German dubs.

His voice in German is just as awesome as it is in English.
>>
I want to cum in the Unicorn.
>>
>>77565999
dragons are better
>>
>>77546842

>reverse image search
>can only find censored version

sign...
>>
>>77565855

For some reason I could only ever find the soundtrack in German. I have in on CD and on vinyl, fucking beautiful man.
>>
File: v writes a letter.jpg (314KB, 1600x960px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
v writes a letter.jpg
314KB, 1600x960px
>>77564567
>>
>>77566356
http://rule34.paheal.net/post/view/424232#search=the_last_unicorn
>>
>>77563151
They even included some of the songs from the novel, as far as I remember.
>>
Would unicorn turn into horse if it had sex?
>>
This movie is also on amazon prime for free if anyone give a shit about that.

>>77564567
That guy on bottom right looks like he has seen some shit.
>>
File: 11988_6_large.jpg (456KB, 2559x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
11988_6_large.jpg
456KB, 2559x720px
I hate that the Enchanted bluray looks so clean
>>
>>77543871
The book was sad but I didn't find it depressing.
It's the best 'modern' fairytale I've read.
>>
bumpu
>>
>>77563936
We own 2. Sometimes they want something specific.
>>
>>77568331
If that were the case then where do unicorns come from?
>>
>>77570463
Will the extended version ever be released? I couldn't afford to go across the country and see it in California or wherever.
>>
>>77541155
It you liked that, check out the other animated films they did: The Hobbit and Flight of the Dragons. They're all pretty fantastic.
Hobbit and Unicorn are practically perfect adaptations, you mostly just lose out on some backstory and one or two plot points, but they aren't really weaker for it.
>>
>>77574559

> Flight of the dragons
Is that the one with the cringey euphoric ending where the MC invokes a bunch of scientific words like they are magical talismans
>>
>>77574736
Yeah.
>>
>>77574736
That part seemed really badass when I was a kid. I still consider it a good movie.
>>
File: last-unicorn_42.jpg (31KB, 300x160px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
last-unicorn_42.jpg
31KB, 300x160px
>>77543998
I dunno about nightmare fuel but this was certainly something in my childhood.
>>
>>77563936
you're not own a cat, you're his property
>>
>>77543871
The Wizard (Schmendrick?) was straight up the most tragic character character I've read in years. I don't even remember the most heartwrenching parts but I'm pretty sure there's a segment near the end that had me crying like a bitch.
>>
>>77574736
Said scientist also marries his waifu.
>>
>>77574853

Probably at the time it didn't seem nearly as bad as it does today
>>
>>77541515
>>77541528

I love you 4chan, with big gay fucks, never change anon-san.
>>
>>77574736
flight of dragons was boss for this one scene alone
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKOErq1-okU
>>
File: 1289865439815.jpg (1MB, 2560x1986px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1289865439815.jpg
1MB, 2560x1986px
>>
>>77575840
That comic is wonderful.
>>
>>77573970
It's said in the book that they mate very rarely, being immortal and all.
>>
File: 1289868869605.jpg (597KB, 1280x2001px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1289868869605.jpg
597KB, 1280x2001px
>>77575879

I have 4 of 6 of the issues on my computer here. It is amazing.
>>
>>77575707
>Cut well, old friend.

https://youtu.be/-qC2P7QYjaE?t=111
>>
>>77575840

> Unicorn transforms into naked beautiful man
> Kills three dudes
> Rails a virgin on top of their corpses

Wow pretty fucking hardcore
>>
>>77575840

I particularly like how the comic's just like "Yeah all she needed was a good dicking"
>>
>>77566369
only Germany released the soundtrack.
>>
A German theater company made a children's musical out of the book.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUx0ueULluM

There's been a handful of sanctioned English stage productions over the years, including an English play. There was also apparently a ballet, but I've never been able to find pictures. The story would make a great ballet, though, especially with the whole transformation from unicorn to human woman thing... something like what they did with Neumeier's The Little Mermaid would work.
>>
>>77562770
The tour was scheduled to come to my state this month before it got stopped... I was so excited. I had a copy of the novel, comic and DVD ready to be signed.
>>
>>77576533
>that image
Only in Germany.
>>
>>77575917

Is there anywhere I can purchase this
>>
>>77577973
Barnes and Noble? Or your local bookstore or comic shop. Or Amazon.
>>
>>77546213
>Ninja Sex Party
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1Q56YAo0Q

I had to look this one up.
>>
File: 9786576798.jpg (21KB, 181x247px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
9786576798.jpg
21KB, 181x247px
>>77578060
bretty good actually
>>
>>77578060
>synth music in fantasy

Robin of Sherwood flashbacks...
>>
Good movie, score didn't seem to fit the tone though.
>>
>>77578523
Most of the time. But every time the main theme was referenced it was magic
>>
>>77553108
The way Schmendrick is tied to her, it would be extremely erotic if she didn't look like an old woman.
>>
>>77541515
>/mlp/
>>
Was Lir more interesting in the book? I remember barely remembering him from when I watched the movie.
>>
>>77566356
Worked fine for me.
>>
>>77567373

That's a great painting.
>>
>>77573970

They sprout like mushrooms from dead unicorns.
>>
>>77541155 I remember liking this movie as a kid. It's one of the things that got me interested in medieval fantasy. I re-watched it recently to see if it still holds up and I'd say it's aged very well. I'd say it's a classic that deserves more love.

>>77541515
Watched this movie with roommates a couple of months ago. Everyone wanted to fuck the unicorn.
>>
>>77541155
I love Lester Abrams character designs. It's a travesty he pretty much only did this and The Hobbit.
>>
>>77562631
Children are exposed to violence more often than sex. A pair of tits isn't going to corrupt their little minds.
>>
>>77582314
Thats more of a north american thing. In europoorland voilence is the big thing to protect the childrens from, mild sexual themes are kinda like whatever.

You ever watched Wakfu? you should
>>
>>77575937
>This is how I paladin.
>>
>>77546379
Fetish fuel. I loved seeing the Wizard get smothered by these breasts as a kid...still do.
>>
Reminder that there is a sequel called Two Hearts
>>
>>77575937
A paladin among paladins
>>
This seems to be a flavor of fantasy that was perhaps too common at one point, but is more uncommon nowadays
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>77583777
>>
>>77564567
>Entire Party Fails Perception Role For Plothook.jpg
>>
>>77584016
It's stated that almost all humans are incapable of seeing unicorns for what they are.
>>
>>77584269
Hence the perception roll. Also the out of context scenario where theres a unicorn and everyone happens to be looking the wrong way
>>
Watching this right now, thank you /co/mrades

Wizard seems like a bro but don't tell me he fucks the unicorn.
>>
>>77584454

> Hey everyone, what's going on in this forest glade-
> BY THE GODDESS
>>
>>77584963
No, The Dude fucks the unicorn.
>>
>>77569662
>That guy on bottom right looks like he has seen some shit.

He should be our feel man
>>
>that fucking skeleton
>>
File: 5411391_std.jpg (20KB, 325x193px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
5411391_std.jpg
20KB, 325x193px
"Oh, she'll kill me, one of these days. But, she will always remember that I trapped her and imprisoned her! So there's MY immortality, eh? Ha ha ha ha ha!"
>>
>>77585395
Fucking open armed welcome of the harpy as it slaughters her.
>>
File: 189354.gif.jpg (63KB, 320x213px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
189354.gif.jpg
63KB, 320x213px
The one thing in the movie that I can't stand is that goofy-ass beatnik butterfly. Couldn't they have thought of a better way for Unicorn to decide to go on her journey?
>>
>>77585644
I fucking hate that butterfly.
>>
File: 1329027052052.jpg (86KB, 251x320px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1329027052052.jpg
86KB, 251x320px
>>77562422
>>77563655
>>77563720
>>77564321
>>77564555
>>77564567
>>
>>77585644
And he knows modern pop culture. He's like Beagle's Bombadil.

But speaking of which, I wonder how a proper Rankin-Bass Fellowship and Two Towers would've been if Bakshi never made his valiant but half-done effort.
>>
>>77580596
yes, he actually had personality.
>>
>>77583326
Love that little story so much.

>I didn’t see if the unicorn said goodbye to Molly and Schmendrick, and I didn’t see when it went away. I didn’t want to. I did hear Schmendrick saying, “A dog. I nearly kill myself singing her to Lir, calling her as no other has ever called a unicorn--and she brings back, not him, but the dog. And here I’d always thought she had no sense of humor.”
>>
>>77541332
In the book it ends with Schmendrick thinking she's prettier than Amalthea when she smiles. It was so sweet.
>>
>>77562631

So? There's duck tits in fucking Howard the Duck, and that's played as a kids film
>>
>>77574736
>the cringey euphoric ending where the MC invokes a bunch of scientific words like they are magical talismans

Oh fuck off, that scene was brilliant.
>>
>>77585644
He's okay. In the movie he seems like a sentient character but it's actually that butterflies are retarded and can only repeat things they have heard. that's why his conversation is so fucked but he gets ot the point eventually.
>>
>>77587163

Bro I'm an atheist myself and an engineer and pro-science and all that but the dude literally says "Oh ho magic is dumb" and then proceeds to use scientific words and facts exactly as if they are magic incantations

That shit was DUMB
>>
>>77585395
>>77585453
What a badass scene.
>>
>>77541155
The end was kinda meh, just them shifting around a castle talking in meta dialogue and then finally the damn bull shows up to end the boredom.
>>
>>77543998

Damn, had to listen closely. Hard to imagine that's fucking Rene. Granted, I guess he was young enough to have a different enough voice.
>>
>>77587330

No it wasn't. He was using logic as someone who is logical would. He wasn't calling magic stupid, but merely using the power of his world. It's even made clear in the start of the film that because mankind is becoming more scientific, that their belief in magic is dwindling as logic and reasoning takes hold.
>>
>>77581995
And here I was thinking "This looks a lot like Bakashi's The Hobbit" in terms of design.

Guess it wasn't just me.
>>
>>77587442

Buddy I get that the theme was mankind abandoning magic as an illusion and turning to science but

> He was using logic as someone who is logical would

No he fucking wasn't he was literally just shouting scientific words at things

Protip: The scientific, logical thing to do when confronted with a seven headed dragon is not to deny that it could possibly exist and shout science words at it, but to consider that maybe perhaps there are gigantic gaps in your knowledge and understanding of the world. Just shouting science words at things is literally just expecting science to work exactly like magic is supposed to

I get the theme and all, but they could have executed it SO much better
>>
>>77575937
>spike nipples

Ha!

Still pretty badass though that he'd fight a massive dragon.
>>
>>77587642

It was just fine, Christ. You're like the people Moore goes on about who have to nitpick the stupidest fucking things
>>
>>77587694

> Complete incongruity in the movie's climactic battle in regards to the overriding theme (it kind of defeats the point to have a theme of 'science over magic' if you use science exactly like magic)
> nitpicking

Just accept that it's a pretty glaring flaw and get over it faggot
>>
>>77570596
I cry evertim.
>>
>>77543871
>Don't read the book unelss you wanna get depressed

the bit at the end where they all cry out for the unicorn as she is about to leave and Molly immediately wishes they didn't, because she sees how it hurt the unicorn gets me every time
>>
File: LastUnicorn-02-02.jpg (128KB, 486x756px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
LastUnicorn-02-02.jpg
128KB, 486x756px
Since it was never mentioned, there's a graphic novel adaptation of it. I was going to buy it but when I saw it in store it was like $40 and I already read it when someone story timed it. I'll pick it up eventually.
>>
>>77587848
Also a one shot of a hot male unibro which brings the question: Do the unicorns reproduce?

I figured no because they were magic/immortal.
>>
>>77587848
>since it was never mentioned
>literally mentioned and pages posted multiple times in the thread
>>
>>77587887
Whoops. I was here in the beginning, scrolled a bit here and there for the past day or so and didn't see it.
>>
>>77587880
Actually, this same image was already posted earlier when the comic was mentioned.

>>77575840
>>
>>77541155
Watched the movie for the first time this year and what I took away the most is that I probably should have read the book instead. I got the feeling the whole time that many plots were being sped up and scenes were being abbreviated too much.
>>
>>77588077

Definitely read the book, it's very good. I like the movie but it does have some pacing issues.
>>
>>77588077
There actually isn't too much cut out from the book (IIRC the only major cut is the removal of a subplot with the town by the castle) but the book does give you a better sense of the story than the movie, especially the thoughts/personality of the unicorn.
>>
Watching it for the first time. Surprised to find it on netflix, but so far seems to be a delight.
>>
>>77541155
It's great if you can look or rather hear past all the songs that sound like they were recorded in a bathroom made of tin.
Animation is 10/10 but its what to expect from Topcraft the animation studio that eventually went on to become Studio Ghibli.
>>
I'M ALIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEE


IM ALIIVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>77587771

It's not an incongruity when it's something the film had established, retard
>>
Thanks for ruining my day /co/. Now I feel all melancholy and shit. ;_;
>>
>>77585938

just "tacos" man, this and the bear naming thing are messing with my grip on reality
>>
>>77590737
Is this the soundtrack to your soul?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEzwQ-_psbM
>>
I kind of wish more fantasy nowadays had this sort of fairy-tale feel to it. Seems most fantasy these days is the sort of high-fantasy WoW derivative, or it's super grimdark. This story feels like an actual myth, which very little fantasy these days feels like.
>>
>>77541155
Better late than never, m8. It's truly a magnificent film.
>>
>>77591891
Or is all self-aware.

>I'm an Athiest Cleric *winks at audience*
>>
>>77591891
I know what you mean. Everything that isn't trying to be WoW today is trying to be GoT. It's like there's no middle ground between Disney Princess and Medieval Murderfucking anymore.
>>
>>77591891
Man, the shit I'd give for a Redwall movie announcement sometime in 2016
>>
>>77591891
Over the Garden Wall has that kinda feeling a bit.
Not so much myth as fairy-tale though...
>>
>>77592419
Every fantasy writer should be required to read Tolkien's essay On Fairy-Stories.
>>
>>77592653
More Folklore than Fairy Tale, really.

Goddamnit, now I need to rewatch it. I need that autumn gold back in my life.
>>
>>77592653

Yeah, OTGW is good, but I do agree with >>77592716 that it feels more like folklore than fairy tale fantasy. Still very good.

>>77592554
If Redwall were made by modern hollywood the tone would be entirely changed from the books to something equivalent to dark and grimy action CG-animated bullshit. No thanks.
>>
>>77592716
>>77592762

Regardless, it feels more like old Disney movies than anything Disney's put out in the last few years. Like watching it put me in that frame of mind that watching, say, Pinocchio does.
And I guess I meant fairy-tale in the older sense, like Hansel and Gretel or shit like that. The terms folklore and fairytale were interchangeable at one time.
But I def agree that we need more fantasy in that sweet spot of having a childlike sense of wonder mixed with some of the darkness of reality. >>77592419 is completely on the nose.
>>
>>77541188
>>77541332
That part really got me. That's when I realized that I'd never find a doorway to a magical realm, I'd never escape the mundane, and that I might never find a happy ending.
>>
Interesting fact...

This was animated by the anime studio that Miyazaki would take over and turn into Studio Ghibli.
>>
>>77593274

>>77541346
>>
>>77541188
Oh hell, Molly, her reaction to seeing the Unicorn... Oh that got me.
>>
Anyone got movies/books similar in ambience, theme, or feels to this movie?
>>
>>77585453
The music that plays whenever the harpy is on screen gives me shivers every time.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkAbmWrqtC0
>>
>>77594672

I get that she kills the old lady. But at 2:46, you see the old lady dead in the foreground, and it's feasting on something else. What is it?
>>
>>77590841
bear naming?
>>
My favourite animated film, I've seen it 46 times by now. At least once a year.

>>77541380
Fun fact: Christopher Lee voiced King Haggard in both the English and the German version of the film.
>>
File: Dryad.jpg (76KB, 420x500px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Dryad.jpg
76KB, 420x500px
>>77575099
Next time there is a draw thread, can someone make a request to redraw this scene, only instead of this old hag tree, a sex giant dryad thingy also with big tits?
>>
>>77595501
>>
>>77595190
The harpy is eating Mommy Fortuna's assistant.
>>
File: Undine wallpaper.png (3MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
Undine wallpaper.png
3MB, 1366x768px
>>77594501
Grimm's fairytales? And when you're done with Grimm, the logical next steps are Perrault, Andersen, Wilde, and Madame d'Aulnoy.

Some of those will get away from the same feel this one has, but they're big names in fairytales. Also Jack Zipes has a very good fairytale compilations and writings on fairytales.

For more specific stories that are a bit similar to this, I recommend Undine by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué, the Swan Lake ballet, ETA Hoffmann's The Golden Pot, and Keat's poem Lamia.

Oh, and for a more recent comic, read Beautiful Darkness.
>>
>>77595655
>Beautiful Darkness
100% recommended

Beauty is even more like The Last Unicorn.
>>
>>77595655

Thanks anon, this movie gave me a desire for a certain type of story that I didn't even know I had
>>
>>77592264
That was one of my biggest issues with Tangled and Frozen. I hate when movies are like "look, look how we're subverting this tropes? isn't it wacky?"
>>
>>77592264
Pointing out tropes is the worst trend in all of fiction.
>>
>>77587556
You mean the Rankin-Bass one, not Bakshi's.
>>
>>77598085

I hate this too. It's...hard to describe, but it always makes the story come across like it has a huge chip on its shoulder. Like the story is more about saying "Hoho, look at these tropes, WHAM BAM we reversed them, aren't we clever" than it is about telling a story. Like it's more about proving a point than telling a tale. It's actually a problem in a lot of media now, I think.
>>
>>77592762
CG in the style of Guardians of Gahool would probably work for it though.
>>
I like how Schmendrick seems like he's just there for oafish comic relief but then turns out to be very eloquent and philosophical

"She will remember your heart when men are fairy tales in books written by rabbits"

"It's a very rare person who's taken for who he truly is."

"There are no happy endings because nothing ends"
>>
>>77541188
I wasn't really enjoying this movie until up to this point. It was a moving scene, and I cried a little.
>>
>>77541155
I just happened to purchase the graphic novel version recently.

What other films are under-appreciated epics?


The Hobbit?
Flight of Dragons?
What else?
>>
>>77600998

It is a very powerful scene

Sort of painful, too

Makes me remember how long, how much I wished to see something magical as a kid, and how much it hurt when I eventually figured out I never would
>>
If Beagle gets a live action version going, would Del Toro be too dark for this? Peter Jackson is too unsubtle.
>>
>>77603117

I don't know if Del Toro would be able to handle it. Shame is Jackson could do it perfect if he had someone there to hold his hand and prevent retarded decisions.
>>
>>77602843
I still don't get it. She came off to me as though she thought she deserved to see a unicorn.
>>
>>77598085
>>77600068
It can work sometimes, though.

Like in Rick and Morty, Jessica asks "So is that you're cousin or..." and Morty says "No, my grandfather uploaded his consciousness into a younger clone of himself." "Oh."

It's not forced or "all wink wink nudge nudge" at the audience, yet it takes what's usually done and jokes that it'll just throw that cliche out.

Another example would be Gravity Falls. Mabel and Bipper interrupt a play and fight onstage, and at the end of it Mabel says "Don't worry, this is the part where the audience thinks it was supposed to happen and loves it" and then they boo her.
>>
>>77604704
Not really. If she'd died having never seen one, or heard someone else had seen one and knew they existed but never saw one herself, she would have been happy enough and not felt deprived, and would have been spared a certain pain. But if you're a woman and if you see a unicorn, you see it when you're a young, pure, virginal maiden. That's how the story goes. Seeing it when you're broken and defiled and have become an old hag is just an insult.

Maybe it's like your family taking you to Disney World for the first time when you're jaded and crippled and 80 years old. It's still fuckin Disney World, but the magic of thinking it's real is gone and there are lots of things about it you can't even enjoy because you're old.
>>
>>77591891
>>77592264
If I remember right the book had some self-awareness as well right?
I can remember an irreverent tone to it at times and it definitely felt post-18th century, but it still retained a sincere fairy tale feel too it.
>>
>>77605323
I'd say the story seems pretty postmodernist, like Beautiful Darkness. It's calling attention to and/or subverting tropes, but it's not doing it in an over the top humorous way or for a sense of shock value, but letting it happen more naturally just to fit in a modern style.
>>
>>77604704
Put yourself in her shoes, anon. Imagine being a child, and the only thing you ever wanted was to see a unicorn. Then you're slowly beaten down by a world that is nothing but mundane, until all the sense of wonder is taken out of you, and you become a hardened, cynical adult.

And then one day you see it, the unicorn you always wished for as a child. It's even more beautiful and graceful than you could have ever imagined. And you find, old and worn as you are, that it makes you keenly aware of only one thing: That you can never really appreciate it like you would have as a child, because you've long ago lost the sense of wonder necessary for that. You look at it and all you feel is an immense sense of loss for what might have been, for the joy you might have felt, if only it had come to you sooner.

That and the whole virginal/maiden aspect that >>77605183 mentioned
>>
File: 1408024042138.jpg (74KB, 479x720px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1408024042138.jpg
74KB, 479x720px
>>77541155
>Heck, most adults are probably too dumb to understand the story its broader mythological context
>>
>>77578060
I love the song and it's clear he loves The Last Unicorn but fucking Danny, throughout that whole thing I kept expecting him to start singing about his dick or something
>>
File: CUSof64UkAA7aHp.jpg (55KB, 480x850px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
CUSof64UkAA7aHp.jpg
55KB, 480x850px
>>77541155
>Why didn't anyone ever tell me how good this movie is?!
>>
>>77604971
I think the difference might be the tone of the media plus whether or not the characters are kind of...aware of it? Like, as if Mabel had watched a lot of shows with that trope and expects it to work in real life. Both those examples are comedies, as opposed to, say, Frozen's "You can't marry someone you just met! (haha not like all those other Disney Princesses)"

>>77600068
I also mostly hate the reverse, where they play it straight and are like "ugghhhh that's so clicheeee"
>>
>>77594501
I am vaguely reminded of the ambience of the anime Escaflowne, at least for the wilderness parts.
>>
Watching this right now.
The animation is kind of shitty, but I'm loving the fuck out of this butterfly.
>>
>>77607684
I hate trope awareness in general, honestly, unless it is explicitly part of the story that a character is somewhat wall-breaking and is written well.

It takes you out of the story too much. It makes you think less about what is happening and what is being described and more about what tropes are at play. It wouldn't be so bad if it weren't so common.
>>
Really, almost everything about this movie is shitty.
The voice acting (except Shmendrick), the animation, the sound mixing, cinematography, etc.

But it still manages to be really enjoyable and intriguing somehow.
>>
>>77608689
I love the visual style.
>>
>>77609201
I like the art too.
It's kind of ugly, but in the good way.
>>
I'll never forget when I first saw this movie. It was in this shit school where teacher was a whale and I swear I didn't learn a goddamn thing for a whole year. But holy shit, every Friday was party time. The school would sell fresh popped popcorn and snowcones and piping though the schools A/V system was always one of three things: Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom, Secret of N.I.M.H. and The Last Unicorn. These movie started my love of animation.

Last Unicorn especially because it had a bitter-sweet ending. The Unicorn finds love and loses it. She even comments she may never fit in with the other unicorns because she has felt regret...and yet, she's not sorry for it. An animated movie that challenged me as a kid that sometimes life doesn't have a happy ending.


>>77574208

I heard rumors that they were remastering the movie and even adding in extra animation they found. Oh well, at least I just found out it's available on Blu-ray uncut! Holy shit, I cannot tell you how long I've waited for them to do a proper release. Made my holiday year!

>>77577973

Yeah, it's on Amazon..for $60. I shit you not.
http://www.amazon.com/The-Last-Unicorn-Comic-Book/dp/B004H9T37G
>>
Love the song that plays as she travels.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wQ0j33bTd4
>>
Current wallpaper
>>
>>77610461
That's the first issue. And that's dumb Amazon Marketplace pricing. Try your LCS.

List price for the trade paperback is $20, and you can probably find it in a Barnes & Noble. There's also a hardcover, and they're also doing pre-orders for expanded editions at http://conlanpress.com/graphic-novels/
>>
>>77541155
This scene and its music (the whole one in the movie) makes this moment EPIC: https://youtu.be/_Igput-NYJc...

What's yours anon?
>>
>>77610679

Unf-
>>
The following is a must listen for everyone who seen this film:
http://media.libsyn.com/media/gooberzilla/unicorn061109.mp3

It's a review from a rather... passionate fan.
>>
>>77610461
>piping though the schools A/V system was always one of three things: Indian Jones and the Temple of Doom, Secret of N.I.M.H. and The Last Unicorn.

You rewatched the same three films for a whole year?
>>
>>77574736
Definitely the weakest of the three, but it was also the one to not be lifted straight from a book. I still enjoyed it and you have James Earl Jones voicing the villain.
>>
File: books.png (2MB, 1248x1015px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
books.png
2MB, 1248x1015px
>>77611714
>but it was also the one to not be lifted straight from a book

Actually, "The Flight of Dragons" was based on two books: the story itself is mostly from a novel called "The Dragon And The George", where a guy's mind ended up in the body of a dragon ("George" is what dragons call humans). Peter Dickenson, the scientific stuff, and the designs of the dragons were based on the real-life Peter Dickenson and his science book "The Flight Of Dragons", which is about how dragons may have existed and evolved, focusing on how everything about the dragon mythos and how they could have been real is centered on how and why they breathed fire. It's a really interesting book and makes the existence of dragons pretty plausible.
>>
>>77603117
Del Toro would be PERFECT
>>
>>77552943

Yeah, i'm so sick of this "it can't be for kids because it's so complex". It reeks of insecurity. Watch cartoons, no one cares. You don't need to justify how "grown up" your cartoons are.
>>
I like the movie a lot, but the book and the comic adaptation are my favourites. It's such a bittersweet, wistful story and it doesn't treat kids like they're too dumb to understand a decent story or characters that are more complex than just being an evil king or a comical sidekick. There's so many bits that stuck in my mind, like Molly's heartbreak when she feels that a unicorn has come to her too late and it only reminds her that her life hasn't gone the way it could, that creepy-cool harpy, just how fucking sad King Haggard is, the unicorn panicking when she becomes human, the way she feels pain that no immortal creature was meant to feel and that's what saves her. I'd love to see a live action film that did it justice.
>>
File: we-the-people.jpg (519KB, 3008x1156px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
we-the-people.jpg
519KB, 3008x1156px
>>77613078
Partially correct. Yes, one must not justify oneself.

But that does not mean us, the audience, should allow animation to be treated as a pacifier for babies.

Yes, watch what you like. But also do not let the things you love get trashed and abused by the mainstream.
>>
>>77613266

I dunno, when people start claiming good cartoons aren't for children because they're complex, it just reinforces the idea that bad cartoons are the norm & that children can't handle complexity, which leads to dumbing down of all cartoons, since children are the major audience for most cartoons.
>>
>>77613443
I will never say that. Good cartoons SHOULD be seen by children all the time. It's the whole "all ages" vs "4 kids" misunderstanding.

Let me try to make an analogy. You won't give wine to a 10 year old. But you can drink tea at that age. So tea is child-friendly. Does that mean only children should drink tea, and adults must only drink wine? Of course not.
>>
>>77612750
>Peter Dickenson, the scientific stuff, and the designs of the dragons were based on the real-life Peter Dickenson and his science book "The Flight Of Dragons", which is about how dragons may have existed and evolved, focusing on how everything about the dragon mythos and how they could have been real is centered on how and why they breathed fire. It's a really interesting book and makes the existence of dragons pretty plausible.
I've once seen a mockumentary about something like that. It was done pretty well and afterwards my older sister (she was around 16 years old at the time) thought dragons were real.
>>
>>77613494
Not the person you've been conversing with, but my response to this analogy is that there are certain flavors of tea people seem to think are only for adults, and that children can't handle something safe if it has a nuanced flavour. This particular line of thinking is what I have issue with.

The reason adolescents flock to japanese cartoons (even TERRIBLE japanese cartoons) is that most modern cartoons aimed at them don't have emotional complexity or arcing plots. Our industry won't be allowed to evolve until most parents understand that stories like The Last Unicorn won't warp their kid's minds.
>>
>>77613542
"Dragons: A Fantasy Made Real", an Animal Planet special made by the BBC. It was pretty good, though some of it was a bit silly (dragons ate platinum to fuel the chemical reaction that made their hydrogen burn when it contacted air? Really?).

Best part is still the Cretaceous Dragon segment, with the battle between the mother dragon and the Tyrannosaurus rex and the dragons looking like realistic Wyverns.
>>
>>77552666
Or the newest video release.
>>
>>77613841
Absolutely agree. You should not consume media to make yourself look "more sophisticated". Many read books just to look smart.

Certainly watching complex cartoons will not make you look smart. Plus, you're watching, not making them.
>>
>>77614200

>Best part is still the Cretaceous Dragon segment, with the battle between the mother dragon and the Tyrannosaurus rex and the dragons looking like realistic Wyverns.

well who won
>>
>movie

It's a cartoon. Anyway, it would be far better without that dumbass unicorn. Also NOW THAT I'M A WOMAN EVERYTHING IS STRANGE ruins literally everything.
>>
File: almalthea.png (266KB, 500x378px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
almalthea.png
266KB, 500x378px
>>77541188 This part hits me more as I get older.

But THIS part... being reminded of your mortality as a child really got me and is probably why this is my favorite movie from when I was a a kid.
>>
>>77613542
>>77614200
I was 14 when that aired and it made my biology/paleo autism flare pretty hard, such as giving the t-rex pronated hands.

That segment and their explanation for how they breathe fire was pretty boss though.

>>77614439
If I remember, the t-rex broke momma dragon's wing and she let herself get eaten while her baby flew away(after throwing up his dinner so he could get off the ground).
>>
>>77614536

It doesn't come across as much in the movie, but a huge theme in the book is mortality, old age, and death. In the book, the final exhibit in Mommy Fortuna's carnival is Mommy Fortuna herself, personifying "old age", described as "the greatest monster of all", weaving a spell that makes everyone who sees it feel old and broken down and worn. Later in the book, Molly Grue sings part of Mommy Fortuna's spell to herself, as simply part of a song (every verse ends with "What is gone is gone")
>>
>>77614439
The T. rex broke mama dragon's wing and mama dragon fatally burned the T. rex with her fire, so it was a lose-lose draw.
>>
>It's on Netflix!

>It's not on Netflix...
>>
>>77615083
Maybe not in your shitty country
>>
>>77567373
The story behind that picture is fucking hilarious.
>>
>>77574736
I saw a double-feature of The Last Unicorn and The Flight of Dragons earlier this year. The ending of Dragons had everyone cackling.
>>
>>77615083
Just watched it on Netflix myself. Surprised to see how good it looks in HD, even now. I was expecting a blurry mess reminiscent of old VHS tapes that have been watched countless times.

Also I'd forgotten how many songs were in the film... however having Mia Farrow sing instead of the woman they used for the soundtrack release was a mistake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0qJeX5EjJ8

This sounded so much better than what you heard in the film.

>>77610516
Also this. I'd forgotten how good this was.
>>
>>77612750
Well, I have to add this to my reading list now.
>>
>>77613542
>my older sister (she was around 16 years old at the time) thought dragons were real
I've heard that some creationists still think dragons were real, and somehow it makes me sad.
>>
>>77614200
Not sure if it was that one. I saw it on a German TV channel and I don't think there was anything about them eating platinum.
Or maybe I just don't remember that.
>>
>>77614484
It's a cartoon movie. I don't understand why you're here.
>>
>>77614536
I remember seeing that and immediately thinking "this perfectly expresses what getting your first period feels like."
>>
>>77608506
The Last Unicorn does a little bit of this too. You know that Schmendrick is the Yiddish word for loser, right?
>>
>>77616393

Yeah, but I count this as "It is part of the story that a character is somewhat wall-breaking and is written well"

In the novel, incompetent as he is, Shmendrick is still a wizard, and still capable of seeing what others can't, like the narrative as it takes shape around them. And a big part of the story (in addition to the part about mortality and death) is about the power of Myth, and how in the long run, myth is more real than the reality. Captain Cully is the reality of "A band of outlaws living in the woods", but he is temporary, he will inevitably fade away. Even if he is successful, and his songs are remembered, he himself won't be remembered. His myth will. And the myth, being more permanent than he is, is more real than he is, in a way. It's done well.
>>
I didn't even know there was a short-story sequel until this thread:
http://www.peterbeagle.com/works/shorts/two_hearts.htm

It's a good epilogue to the book, I really felt for Lir.
>>
>>77615451
Less professional, sure, but more honest.
>>
>>77615451
When's Dan gonna cover this?
>>
Another bump, this has been a nice thread
>>
Why was the unicorn such a cunt to humans? If being a human sucked so much, why didn't she give the humans some sympathy for it instead of yelling at them for putting her in one of their ugly stupid mortal bodies? God, she was such a cunt.
>>
>>77622060
How would you act if I turned you into a rat?
>>
>>77616393
>Schmendrick is the Yiddish word for loser
Is that why he had that huge ass nose?
>>
>>77622060
>immortal unicorn is forcibly placed inside a mortal, fragile human body that she can feel dying around her
>omg why is she upset what a bitch

wat
>>
>>77622160
Yeah, I'm supposed to feel sorry for her because she views humans as rats like she's some cartoon supervillain?
>>
>>77623022
>now knows what it feels like to be a mortal human
>yells at the humans around her for making her like them rather than feeling sympathy for their mortality and being grateful from being SAVED FROM A GIANT RAGING MONSTER
Yeah, that's fucked up and she's a bitch.
>>
Should I read the book or can I get the same experience with the comic?
>>
>>77623117
>understands that getting turned into a rat is bad
>still doesn't feel sympathy for the Unicorn turned human
Holy shit, I bet you have no friends.
>>
>>77623168

why_not_both.jpg

The book's pretty short, not like it's a huge investment to read through it.
>>
>>77623204
>get turned into a rat
>complain to all the rats that being a rat sucks and they're jerks for making her live a shitty life like them even though they did it to save her life
She could have complained to something that wasn't mortal.
>>
>>77546842
>horse
uhh
>>
Why should a unicorn who knows nothing but her forest have any understanding of human suffering?
>>
I want to fuck that unicorn.
>>
I've never seen it in English is the English version as quotable as the German one?

>Wozu ist all der Zauber da, wenn man damit nichtmal ein Einhorn retten kann?
>>
>>77615857
>not knowing dragons are real
people dont just make up new animals that aren't pieces of other animals mashed together, dude.
>>
>>77614668
>pronated hands
theyre saying now they were probably used during sex and had huge muscles on them so they could grip
paleontologists know less than nothing. it's all made up dude.
>>
>>77623143
>the point
>your head

She didn't ask to be turned into a human. Also, the way she--an immortal being--feels in a human body would not be the same way that a human feels in their body, having never been a unicorn. The wizard stripped her of her immortality and her natural, animal form in favor of something the complete opposite of her being. Unicorns do not regret, or feel sorrow, or feel love.

Also, note that the only time she said anything negative was LITERALLY RIGHT AFTER IT HAPPENED. Right after she, an immortal creature, was suddenly forced into a dying, human body. She said nothing about it afterwards until she didn't want to be a unicorn again.
>>
>>77623241
She was going through a traumatic experience.

Consider that going from immortal to mortal is practically like getting cancer. That's why I used rat as a comparison; imagine if your lifetime was GREATLY reduced and not only are you going to die soon but what time is left is gonna be spent in the shitty body of a rat. You too would wish you had just died instead.

Yes, it is whiny and she eventually grows out of it but she isn't reacting that different from any other person going through trauma, you insensible cunt.
>>
>>77541380

What I find more interesting is King Haggar's concept. That having an encounter with a unicorn could cause someone to break on such a deep and profound level. I consider him to be the best representation of what a "fallen paladin" should be.
>>
>>77622060
You seem to be under the impression that unicorns are- and more importantly, view themselves- as on the same level as humanity. They don't, and in terms of this story, they aren't. We're insects to them, because our lives are short and we view and experience the world so differently, in ways they can't comprehend, and so we also cannot comprehend how they experience the world. But few people spend time pondering what it's like to be an insect, or feel sympathy for them, or consider themselves anything else but above them in every way. It's unfair to expect unicorns not to do the same in that regard.
>>
>>77623241
Like who?
>>
>>77541155
I feel ashamed that I only know what this is because of NSP
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF1Q56YAo0Q
>>
>>77626274

It's pretty much clear in the book and the movie that anyone who encounters a unicorn is changed by it forever. Molly Grue grows bitter by the mere fact that she KNOWS about unicorns but never sees one.
>>
>>77541155
>Why didn't anyone ever tell me how good this movie is?
Probably because its not
>>
>>77546379
I thought it was kinda like when he turned the unicorn human.
>Hell, I don't know! It's magic! Shit's unpredictable!
>>
File: image.jpg (20KB, 228x346px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 228x346px
Just bought this version of the book. The cover looks so good!
>>
>>77634935

I thought about getting that, but I settled on the paperback. I think I'm going to get the comic, though.
>>
>>77546379
Comic relief.
>>
>>77592844
>>77541188
>I might never find a happy ending
>>
>>77615185

Care to share?
>>
>>77637209
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reply_of_the_Zaporozhian_Cossacks

--Turkish Sultan Mehmed IV

As the Sultan; son of Muhammad; brother of the sun and moon; grandson and viceroy of God; ruler of the kingdoms of Macedonia, Babylon, Jerusalem, Upper and Lower Egypt; emperor of emperors; sovereign of sovereigns; extraordinary knight, never defeated; steadfast guardian of the tomb of Jesus Christ; trustee chosen by God Himself; the hope and comfort of Muslims; confounder and great defender of Christians - I command you, the Zaporogian Cossacks, to submit to me voluntarily and without any resistance, and to desist from troubling me with your attacks.

The Cossacks' reply came as a stream of invective and vulgar rhymes, parodying the Sultan's titles:

Version 1:

Zaporozhian Cossacks to the Turkish Sultan!

O sultan, Turkish devil and damned devil's kith and kin, secretary to Lucifer himself. What the devil kind of knight are you, that can't slay a hedgehog with your naked arse? The devil excretes, and your army eats. You will not, you son of a bitch, make subjects of Christian sons; we've no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, fuck your mother.

You Babylonian scullion, Macedonian wheelwright, brewer of Jerusalem, goat-fucker of Alexandria, swineherd of Greater and Lesser Egypt, pig of Armenia, Podolian thief, catamite of Tartary, hangman of Kamyanets, and fool of all the world and underworld, an idiot before God, grandson of the Serpent, and the crick in our dick. Pig's snout, mare's arse, slaughterhouse cur, unchristened brow, screw your own mother!

So the Zaporozhians declare, you lowlife. You won't even be herding pigs for the Christians. Now we'll conclude, for we don't know the date and don't own a calendar; the moon's in the sky, the year with the Lord, the day's the same over here as it is over there; for this kiss our arse!

- Koshovyi Otaman Ivan Sirko, with the whole Zaporozhian Host.
>>
>>77595655
>Undine by Friedrich de la Motte Fouqué
>Arthur Rackham illustrations
Unf. Which version has those illustrations?
>>
I have had this thread on my phone for a couple days, catching up when I can. I just want to say that I love you motherfuckers.

Even you, Josh.
>>
It's kind of sad that we'll probably never again see an animated film quite like this
>>
>>77639489
>phone

Dude, at least get a tablet.
>>
>>77639949
Book of Kells got the closest in my opinion. I haven't seen song of the sea yet but that's supposed to be even better.
>>
http://putlocker.is/watch-the-last-unicorn-online-free-putlocker.html

for those of you that don't have Netflix
>>
>>77541155
Soooo why exactly did the king want to put all the unicorns in the ocean exactly?
"I want to watch the unicorns because unicorns are cool!"
Yeah but why not just herd them into a fenced pasture or a box canyon or something? why the ocean?
Also what the hell was the red bull anyway?
>>
>>77640755
Because it's a fairy tale and anything else would not actually trap them.
>>
>>77640755
Dude I have no fucking idea. This movie is apparently too deep for me because nothing in it goddamn makes sense. With one exception the songs are all kinda lame, the characters are bland, the story explains fuck all. There's probably a very whimsical meaning behind it but hell if I know what it is.
>>
>>77546561
I know how you feel I can't listen to certain songs because of the same reason.
>>
>>77640755

Well, because it's implied Unicorns can't be held by normal means (Mommy Fortuna's line 'there hasn't been a rope made that can hold her') and there's no boxed canyon by his castle

> What the hell is the Red Bull

The movie doesn't get into it that much, and the book doesn't really give an explicit explanation either as far as I remember, but in the novel it's implied that the Bull is a sort of mythological, immortal being (kind of like the Unicorn) but much older, and comes across almost as an embodiment of violence, that serves people who have no fear (and Haggard, being almost entirely devoid of emotion, has no fear)
>>
>>77640796
It's not like the can fly so how would trapping them in a fenced enclosure be any different?
And for that matter if they can apparently spend years underwater without needing to breath couldn't they just have left at any time? it's the fucking ocean just go to some other shore or land mass, what's he going to do follow them to a different continent?
>>
>>77640933
>It's not like the can fly so how would trapping them in a fenced enclosure be any different?
Did you not see how Amalthea just wrecked the locks on the cages at Mommy Fortuna's? Cold iron can hold them, but the flaw is the same as Mommy Fortuna's attempt, someone will try to let them out.
>And for that matter if they can apparently spend years underwater without needing to breath couldn't they just have left at any time? it's the fucking ocean just go to some other shore or land mass, what's he going to do follow them to a different continent?
Yes. The Red Bull is magical motherfucker, who chased them down from all over the place. It's implied that he can just follow them wherever they go, and also that their imprisonment there isn't of the type that they can just retreat further into the ocean.
>>
>>77640933

It's stated pretty explicitly in the novel that when the Red Bull drives them, he doesn't just make them panic and dive into the ocean, he breaks their spirit first. The Unicorns are held in the ocean by their fear of the Red Bull. Haggard speculates that they are so broken in spirit that even after he dies, and the Red Bull finds a new master, they will never leave the ocean.
>>
File: butterfly.gif (995KB, 289x193px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
butterfly.gif
995KB, 289x193px
I've made probably five people watch this movie in the past month. They all thank me.
>>
So, what, is King Haggard the first brony or something?

>their fur
>their shining
>>
>>77640755
Because narwhals a.k.a. "sea-unicorns".
>>
File: ico_caballito.jpg (99KB, 400x522px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
ico_caballito.jpg
99KB, 400x522px
What about this one?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BTQTwJL00jw
>>
>>77641108
>Did you not see how Amalthea just wrecked the locks on the cages at Mommy Fortuna's? Cold iron can hold them, but the flaw is the same as Mommy Fortuna's attempt, someone will try to let them out.
Have the red bull guard the pasture
>>
File: IKO.png (511KB, 782x593px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
IKO.png
511KB, 782x593px
>>77641300
I have this movie. The torrent I got it from only had about three seeders. I don't even think the torrent is available anymore. I try to watch it, but I do not understand why I just don't want to without subs. I don't even know what it's about.
>>
>>77641905
I think the point of Haggard putting them into the sea is that he didn't want to share them either. For whatever reason they constantly stay near the shore, so there must be a drop-off immediately behind them. The fact that the Red Bull can leave them for as long as he did (when he's searching out "Amalthea" after they meet Molly), none of them try to escape. They're hopeless in the sea until an outside force removes their captor(s).

Personally, I liked how at the end that the Unicorn owns the Amalthea aspect of her being. That she will never be the same as the rest of them because she has experienced life in a way that they will never comprehend (though, fairly SHE will never comprehend what it is to be broken like they were.).
>>
>>77641300
Looks like some sort of Argentinian proto-MLP.
>>
Wow, I just watched this.

Now I'm really sad. Like, not for any good reason, but everything seems like, more dreary. Fuck you Rankin and Bass and your slanty-eyed animators.

8(
>>
>>77642155
>MLP invented talking horses
>>
>>77642654
I attempted to convey a joke through use of spoiler tags, but somehow failed. I made the statement facetiously.
>>
>>77554838
I gave a DVD to my niece, who is in her youthful "Disney princess" phase. She will never forget it.
>>
>>77594501
>>77595655
Oh and I forgot: Princess Tutu is good too, if you like anime.
>>
>>77591891
Secret of Kells, Song of the Sea?
>>
>>77575221
NOT ALONE! YOU NEVER COULD HAVE FREED YOUSELVES ALOOONE! I HELD YOU!
>>
>>77604625
Del Toro AND Jackson.
>>
>>77639405
I think the illustrations are from a 1909 printing.
>>
>>77637417
>mare's arse

Appropriate, all things considered ITT.
>>
>>77614200
>dragons ate platinum to fuel the chemical reaction that made their hydrogen burn when it contacted air? Really?
Plausible if it was in abundance. Elephants eat and bathe in salt and mineral pools that improve their skin and digestion.
>>
File: unicoposter.jpg (20KB, 180x266px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
unicoposter.jpg
20KB, 180x266px
>>77641300
I like this one.
>>
>>77594501
King of Elfland's Daughter by Lord Dunsany, my personal favorite fantasy novel
>>
File: BojackHorseman.jpg (13KB, 640x480px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
BojackHorseman.jpg
13KB, 640x480px
The theme song for the Last Unicorn was made by America.

The plot of the Last Unicorn involves the cast traveling with a horse with no name.
>>
>>77643590
Should have expected that spoiler.
>>
>>77637417

Holy fucking shit, I was giggling from beginning to end. The sheer impudence of it was so joyfully delivered. The painting really captures the spirit of it.
>>
>>77587800
Think about it. Molly knows the unicorn will be sad to have left them, FOREVER. She immediately regrets it even though the unicorn can't know regret.
>>
>>77606618
I...

Wait, that scene is a metaphor for falling in love as an adult...?
>>
>>77643884
It can apply to lots of situations, but yeah, I'm sure it applies to lots of people that way.
>>
>>77623628
>eventually grows out of it
She never apologizes, she just mopes until she gets laid. Like a cunt.
>>
>>77644045
bruh, ur bein a cunt.
>>
>>77640933
They come up for air. that's why the sea has foam.
>>
>>77644092
Don't encourage him, it's clearly one dude trying to derail the thread into shitposting by being edgy
>>
>>77644199
man, aren't you up and above everyone else here!
>>
>>77643972
That's.

I found my unicorn. And I wasn't ready. And she wasn't ready. And we broke each other and it took a year for us to even talk again.

It never occured to me I was blaming her for not being there already.
>>
>>77644250
Nah just you
>>
>>77644438
I know, and you're a retard :).
>>
>>77640755
>Soooo why exactly did the king want to put all the unicorns in the ocean exactly?

Because unicorns are the only thing that give him any sort of pleasure.

>Yeah but why not just herd them into a fenced pasture or a box canyon or something? why the ocean?

Because he could stand in his castle and see them.
>>
>>77643679
>She immediately regrets it even though the unicorn can't know regret.

Unicorn literally says she knows what it is to regret now, though.
>>
>>77623628
No sympathy.

Immortality is a curse, and one of the bigger themes of the movie is just how disconnected and uncaring the Unicorn has become for everything because of her immortal life span. Her adventure helps her grow a bit, but by the end she's still the last unicorn, immortal, and alone with only the memories of her adventure to comfort her.
>>
This movie and its theme makes me weep like nothing else.
That's all I came to say.
>>
>>77644629
off topic, but I loved Armitage III so much.
>>
>>77643884

It definitely could be. There's a lot of similarities. Love is wonderful no matter when you find it. But finding it as a worn down adult, after spending years wishing for it, can leave you very aware of what you lost by never finding it in your youth. You will never love in the wild, wondrous, carefree way you could have when you were young, and you will never be as close, as intimate with the one you love as you could have been if you met twenty years earlier.

And you never will have the opportunity to experience that, now. What is gone is gone.
>>
>>77644977
This all sounds like a problem with a personal point of view.
>>
>>77578516
Clannad's great
>>
>>77644258
I'm glad you made such a personal connection.
>>
>>77644629
>one of the bigger themes of the movie is just how disconnected and uncaring the Unicorn has become for everything because of her immortal life span

>debates staying in the forest because she's worried about the other animals there
>eventually leaves because she's worried about what happened to the others
>saves the trapped animals at the carnival despite the risk to her own person, including an animal who will surely try to kill her
>saves Schmendrick even though she has no need of a companion
>comforts Molly when she is upset about seeing a real unicorn
>etc

Doesn't sound uncaring to me?

Unicorns are not humans. They are not supposed to be. Immortality is only a curse if you were not designed to be immortal. Unicorns were designed for immortality: they don't form the same type of emotional relationships that people do, they don't feel strong emotions that can weigh them down, etc. Her immortality is only a 'curse' because of what being human did to her.

>still the last unicorn

Errr.
>>
>>77645076

> problem

what?
>>
>>77645121
She still cares just enough to realize she's disconnected, true, but my point stands.

>not the last

Wait, I forgot about the unicorns trapped in the sea. Did they ever get out? Like in a form she can interact with. i don't remember.
>>
>>77645369
Maybe you should rewatch the end.
>>
>>77645369
>She still cares just enough to realize she's disconnected, true, but my point stands.

She doesn't "realize she's disconnected." Her being 'disconnected' is not a plot point at all.

>Wait, I forgot about the unicorns trapped in the sea. Did they ever get out? Like in a form she can interact with. i don't remember.

You have zero authority to be talking about this film at all. Jesus Christ.
>>
>>77645369

m8 it's pretty obvious at this point you didn't actually watch the film
>>
>>77645575
>>77645528
'm8' she starts her entire fucking journey because she's so cut off she doesn't even know if the other unicorns are still alive. I'd argue less concern for them either and more refusal to admit any of her kind could simply vanish.

Though it's possible I've misunderstood the fact 'this is just how unicorns are' rather than the one the story follows becoming disconnected specifically.

As for the end I just genuinely forgot. It's been a while.
>>
>>77640755
Horses are associated with the sea in many myths because of how they look like crashing waves. I think that makes it a more appropriate place to imprison all the unicorns in the world than anything a human could build.

In this shot they literally come out of the foam.
>>
>>77645248
You'll have to ask a more specific question than that.
>>
>>77646421
It also looks really cool.
>>
>>77646368
>m8' she starts her entire fucking journey because she's so cut off she doesn't even know if the other unicorns are still alive.

That's not disconnection. In the world of The Last Unicorn, unicorns live alone in a single place, occasionally getting together to mate.
>>
>>77647518
So I did misunderstand and unicorns are just shit, then. Rewatching now on my totally not torrented version of the original movie..

>Unicorns cannot feel love or regret
I'll be honest, that sounds awful.
>>
>>77643507
That finale is the very definition of Metal to me.

Dat vampire satan lord made of Darkness and lightning...
Unicorns and rainbows...
Power of friendship.
That's exactly the shit Dio was singing about.
>>
>>77647618

It's implied it's the same for all immortal beings, the harpy and the red bull included. They are very alien to mortals. That's why it was so traumatic for her to be transformed into one.
>>
>>77647937
To be fair, the movie does a shitty job of expressing a lot of the finer points I assume the book is better at. Which I should really read at some point if I wasn't trapped in the middle of nowhere.

I can't really envy immortality this being the case.
>>
>>77643507
>>77647671
Know if the Tezuka comic is worth tracking down?
>>
>>77647618
love and regret are symptoms of attachment and infatuation. Immortal beings are going to see entire generations of creatures pass by in the relative blink of an eye. Even other immortal creatures are just going to always be around, so there is no urgency to their company nor sadness as a result of not seeing them for hundreds or thousands of years.

That's kind of the whole MO of the unicorn, the only thing that got her to leave her forest was the idea that unicorns across the world were disappearing. Which would be weird and deeply unsettling to any immortal creature much less another unicorn. The existence of other unicorns, a thing she had taken for granted for untold centuries, was deeply unsettling once called into question.
>>
>>77648183
Yes. There's a recently published omnibus available in full color. I have it and it was definitely worth the purchase.

Warning though: like the movies, it doesn't really have a satisfying conclusion.
>>
>>77648291
I've read Phoenix. I'm all about unsatisfying conclusions. Should have saved Future for last.
>>
The movie sucks.
>>
File: 1405115069171.jpg (662KB, 750x1264px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1405115069171.jpg
662KB, 750x1264px
>>77648185
Attachment and infatuation are symptoms of SELFISH love, anon. That said, I've spent most of my life unable to truly care for, or become attached to, other people. Watching the world merely go by. People and events being transient things that merely come and go. Utterly above the pain or joy of attachment to others.

I'd honestly rather die and burn in hell than experience that ever again. The way unicorns handle love and emotion sounds like a zen dream state where they are above suffering. From experience I can say it's more like a furious hellscape.

Hell, isn't the Unicorn -grateful- for being tainted with mortality at the end of the movie? As if she gained something precious having been given love and regret.
>>
>>77648636
calm down edge-lord
>>
>>77648781
You have no idea what edge is, do you?
>>
>>77648636

> Hurrr from personal experience it is paaaaain a bloo bloo bloo

Please don't ruin a comfy thread with your retarded histrionic personal blog bullshit

Since you haven't figured it out, probably because you are so self-centered you have to bring every discussion back to you and your own overblown personal pain, people experience things differently, and the Unicorn having no attachments to people, as an immortal, is very different from a mortal having no attachments to people

You know, kind of like Haggard, the main villain of the story, demonstrated
>>
>>77648802
You just equated a "zen dream state" with a "furious hellscape", after angtsliy talking about how above attachment you used to be.

Did you really think that was going to make people take you seriously? Because I laughed. Solid 4/5 fedora comment, friendo.

If you're talking about depression there's a thousand non-retarded ways to start that conversation. But a depressed lack of attachment isn't at all what we are talking about. The fact that you confused a zen like level of contentment with HELL means you probably aren't talking about the same thing.
>>
>>77648636
This isn't your personal blog. Leave.
>>
>>77649011
>I like being able to love other people.
>WOW WHAT AN EDGELORD
So your answer is no, then. You don't know what edge is.

>>77649027
If we're talking zen in simple popculture understanding of zen, then yes it is actually hell rather than being true zen. Thus my point. Even the Unicorn was grateful towards the Wizard for her tainting. She even thanks him personally. Not knowing love or regret doesn't make you above attachment. It merely makes you IGNORANT of it, and that's what the Unicorns are. Ignorant and innocent rather than being truly above it.

True zen can only be attained by knowing suffering and attachment and overcoming them. Able to experience the joys of the world without being weighed down by the selfish kind of love that causes suffering. .

I mean, I guess you can envy ignorance if you like, but i'd personally call that a mistake.
>>
File: last unicorn1.jpg (139KB, 800x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
last unicorn1.jpg
139KB, 800x600px
I just popped my DVD of the movie in and found some wallpapers on it. The resolution is pretty bad, but maybe one or two of you like this.

1/3
>>
File: last unicorn2.jpg (133KB, 800x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
last unicorn2.jpg
133KB, 800x600px
>>77650055
2/3
>>
File: last unicorn3.jpg (134KB, 800x600px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
last unicorn3.jpg
134KB, 800x600px
>>77650064
3/3
>>
>>77649326

VirtualOptim, I thought you got b&?

Anyway, you're wrong.
>>
>>77650130
>VirtualOptim
Literally who?

>Anyway, you're wrong.
Go watch the movie yourself. The unicorn thanks the Wizard verbally saying she doesn't begrudge him for tainting her with mortality. Can't be wrong about something that literally happens.
>>
>>77650241
>Go watch the movie yourself.
>someone who literally couldn't remember one of the major events in the last arc of the film

lol

>trying to use the movie as validation for your narcissistic opinions
>but when the movie points out why immortal creatures are different, that's WRRRRRRROOOOOOOONG

lolx2
>>
>>77650314
damn, not him but you got triggered real hard.
>>
>>77650314
>someone who literally couldn't remember one of the major events in the last arc of the film
You can't be sure if it's the same anon and if you "are" you are nobody worth talking to.

Stay mad.
>>
>>77541515
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MKYmCOl-DM
>>
>>77650314
I literally have the original uncensored version on my PC, anon. You are factually incorrect and incredibly butt hurt.
>>
>>77640815
No, you're right, it's almost all shit.
>>
>>77650241
>The way unicorns handle love and emotion sounds like a zen dream state where they are above suffering. From experience I can say it's more like a furious hellscape.

Are you a unicorn? Have you ever been a unicorn? No? Then you don't get to say "oh, no it's actually like THIS" when the book and film portray it as something else.
>>
In the book, I always thought it was very interesting how the Red Bull was defeated. He comes across as some sort of embodiment of violence itself, but the minute the unicorn begins to fight back, it simply refuses to fight her. Even though the book makes the explicit point that she could not harm it in the slightest, while it could, if it wanted, snuffer her out in an instant. The Red Bull keeps backing away into the sea, and eventually just swims away.

The way I see it, there are two possible explanations:

1. King Haggard mentions earlier that the Red Bull serves him because he has no fear in his heart. But Shmendrick mentions, right before they head into the Red Bull's lair, that King Haggard looked frightened. As the Unicorn fought the Red Bull, and Haggard down at them from the castle, the Red Bull felt his fear, and would no longer serve him.

2. Shmendrick says after the battle, "The Red Bull conquers, but it never fights." Maybe the Red Bull wasn't the embodiment of violence, but a more subtle idea, the embodiment of threat and domination, with great power to frighten and destroy those who feared it, but little power to stop those who fought back against it.
>>
File: 1376737309579.jpg (130KB, 807x894px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1376737309579.jpg
130KB, 807x894px
>>77645528
>film
>>
>>77651284
Both of those sound incredibly likely, honestly. From a personal perspective, the second sounds more, I guess I would say, poetic? I like it more at any rate.
>>
>>77651284
>2. Shmendrick says after the battle, "The Red Bull conquers, but it never fights." Maybe the Red Bull wasn't the embodiment of violence, but a more subtle idea, the embodiment of threat and domination, with great power to frighten and destroy those who feared it, but little power to stop those who fought back against it.
This is it, I guess. The Red Bull isn't an embodiment of violence but rather of anger and dominance/threat; the Harpy is more fitting to be an embodiment of violence and hate, in my opinion.
>>
>>77651406

The first one is pretty poetic too, I think.

King Haggard draws some interesting parallels to the unicorn. The unicorn, by her mere presence, makes her forest into a blissful, eternal spring. Haggard's mere presence, on the other hand, seems to turn the entire country into a barren wasteland. And they both are detached, withdrawn from other people - the unicorn because the reality of mortality burdens her soul with sorrow. But King Haggard has a similar reason - nothing can bring him joy because it's all temporary, and nothing temporary is worth the investment of his heart. Haggard is a mortal trying to live life with the attitude of an immortal. Which may be why unicorns captivated him so much - they were the one beautiful thing he had that would last forever.

But, of course, he wasn't immortal. In the end, his fear of his impending death could have caused the Red Bull to abandon him. In a way, his fear of death might have led directly to his death.
>>
>>77651245
>>77650314
>You are a true wizard now. As you always wished. Does it make you happy?
>Well, men don't always know when they're happy, but I think so. And you?
>I'm a little afraid to go home; I have been mortal, and some part of me is mortal yet. I'm no longer like the others. For no unicorn was ever born who could regret, but now I do. I regret.
>I'm sorry. I have done you even, and I cannot undo it.
>No, unicorns are in the world again. No sorry will live in me as long as that joy, save one, and I thank you for that part too. Farewell, good magician. I will try to go home.

A conversation immediately followed by a musical score starting with a belted out, "I'm Aliiiiiiiiiiiiive!" just to hit the message home.
>>
>>77651844
Fuck I am a moron and transcribed that wrong.

His response should be

>I'm sorry, I have done you evil, and I cannot undo it.
>>
>>77651844
correction
>No sorrow will live in me...
>>
>>77651844

What are you trying to say here? The Unicorn thanking the wizard for the experience of true regret does not necessarily mean that all the other unicorns who have not experienced it are unhappy with their immortal detachment from the world.
>>
File: 1403131718397.gif (700KB, 160x120px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1403131718397.gif
700KB, 160x120px
>>77651946
>>77651881
Thank you. I am shit at proof reading because it always looks how I expected to write it.
>>
>>77651960
I admit it might be down to personal interpretation at this point, but the Unicorn at the beginning of the movie seems a bit melancholy to me. Yet I'm expected to believe all unicorns are like this by default? To a larger point, do you ever truly know how unhappy you are till you experience how happy you could be?

The end seems to want to say what she gained is worth the sadness of their parting. With the extra line of the song just to push it home.
>>
>>77652162

No, she seemed really perfectly content to me, aside from her worry that she really was the last unicorn. That's pretty clear in the book, too. One thing the movie doesn't mention that the book does mention, though, is the fact that she's actually a very old unicorn. What you read as melancholy in her personality may be the simple fact that she's very old, and youthful energy has turned into quiet wisdom. (One part of the book mentions how she used to go to princesses whenever they called her when she was young, but now that she was old, she only goes to princesses who MEAN it when they call to her. )
>>
>>77651844
And what does that have to do with you saying that unicorns, by nature having never been a mortal human being, experience a 'furious hellscape'? When the book and movie give no indication that this is so?

Unicorns are not people. They are not meant to be people. They do not experience life or emotions the same way people do. This is not an inherently bad thing, no matter what random personal experience you try to interject with.

She didn't say "If only other unicorns could regret, too, they would know how wonderful being human is!" or "I realize how how terrible immortality is" or anything remotely like that. She, personally, said she didn't begrudge him for (through no intent of his own) turning her into a human. That has nothing to do with her previous state of mind when she had been nothing but an immortal unicorn.
>>
>>77652326
Seems like the fault of the movie for not being clearer about that facet of her personality, but that does make more sense thinking about her overall actions across the movie when viewed from "quiet and wise from age".
>>
>>77652162
Considering that a major theme of the book was that immortality isn't all it's cracked up to be, I understood that to be the reason. So Amalthia experiences something that immortal creatures never experience, cool, but now she lives with that regret forever, sad. That immortal detached life was idyllic if a little uninteresting to mortals, but now she has dipped a toe into this pool of feelings and experiences that immortal creatures aren't supposed to feel. That's why the ending is bittersweet, you aren't quite sure that she is better off for what happened personally, but her quest was fulfilled.

Although it is kind of ironic, eventually Haggard would die and the Red Bull would no longer be at his command and the Unicorns would just go home. If that's true, her quest was pointless, and all she has to show for it is her mortal regrets.

So yeah.
>>
>>77614484
>Anyway, it would be far better without that dumbass unicorn
>the last unicorn
>without the unicorn
>wanting a movie about an empty forest and nothing else
>>
>>77652378

It is also pretty clear in the book that while she thanks Shmendrick for the experience, she's not exactly eager to form more attachments with mortals. There's one scene where she appears to Molly, Shmendrick and the Prince one last time (in dreams.)

It's kind of implied that Shmendrick has the longest conversation with her, and it's precisely because of the three of them, he loves her the least. As for the Prince, who loves her most of all, she doesn't say anything to him, she merely looks at him. The more people love her, the more she tries to avoid them, because attachments to mortals can only lead to sorrow for an immortal like her.

So it may have been nice to know what love was, but the regret is going to be a weight on her heart for the rest of time. Really, you should read the book. It's a very good book.
>>
>>77652162
>seems a bit melancholy to me.

There is nothing inherent in the film, or the book for that matter, that suggests she is unhappy because she of her immortality or the nature of unicorns. Her sorrows and doubts come from hearing that there are no more unicorns, and her travels outside of her forest--which is extremely unusual for unicorns and, according to the book, frightens her.

You're viewing the unicorn, before she was turned into a human being, through the lens of being a person. But the Unicorn is not a person, not just a talking human-like character who happens to take the shape of a unicorn. Unicorns, in the book and movie, are not like people at all.
>>
>>77652421

I've read the book, and I didn't see anywhere in it the theme "Immortality isn't all that it's cracked up to be". Indeed, the book seems to dwell an awful lot on the sad inevitability of mortality. Immortality comes across as detached but blissful.

Also, in the book it's made pretty clear that all the captive unicorns are so brutalized and cowed by the Red Bull that even after Haggard died and the Red Bull found a new master, they would remain too frightened of his memory to ever leave. They couldn't leave until they saw The Last Unicorn face the Red Bull alone, and even then, they had to be physically PUSHED out of the ocean (The Red Bull is much bigger in the book than he is in the movie. When he swims away, he causes a massive ocean swell, and this is what pushes all the unicorns out of the ocean.)
>>
>>77652421
The only thing I remember of my original impressions of the movie when I first watched it is wondering if she wouldn't be better off trapped as a human. It's very much a situation where you can't go back to how things used to be, and as a human she was slowly forgetting her past life. At least this way it was a life even if not an ideal one.

I don't really know which would have been preferable, myself.

Though, I'm of the firm belief regret is an asset. It can improve your life and make you happy if you let it. Just as joy can hurt or help the individual feeling it, so can regret weight down or uplift.
>>
File: 1433758224175.jpg (127KB, 704x602px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
1433758224175.jpg
127KB, 704x602px
>>77652581
>>77652561
>>77652421
The only thing this conversation with people who claim they know the book has taught me is the film possibly has very different themes and lessons than the book. Either the movie is at fault for not presenting itself more coherently, or the themes are not shared with the book.

At any rate, I'm just confused now.
>>
>>77652688

It's funny. In the book, it's implied that she actually came very, very close to simply remaining a human forever. It's sort of hinted (but never said outright) that if she let Prince Lir touch her, she would become a human forever. And there's one point, in the Red Bull's cavern, where she is just about to touch his hand, and Shmendrick is thinking this is it, the quest is over, she'll simply marry the Prince and be a human. And the only reason she ends up not touching him is because the Red Bull charges them.

As for regret, for humans it can be an asset. For immortals, who already had a blissful life, with nothing to really improve, it's simply nothing but pain. And that pain is going to last until the end of time.
>>
>>77652803
>As for regret, for humans it can be an asset. For immortals, who already had a blissful life, with nothing to really improve, it's simply nothing but pain. And that pain is going to last until the end of time.
This will only lead to a philosophical debate about blissful versus richer lives having more value that has no real right or wrong side and no answer.

I suppose it's personal preference if one prefers 'ignorance is bliss' or not.
>>
>>77651960
She's alive, at least by human standards, she can feel regret and she can love.
>>
>>77652787
>>77652676
I mean shit. Readers of the book can't even agree with each other. What is this?
>>
>>77646421
Fuck damn, that moment when the unicorns pour back into the world always makes me tear up.
>>
>>77652787

Not really, the film is very faithful to the book for the most part. It's just that inevitably a lot of inner dialogue gets cut. (A lot of Lir's role gets cut). But almost everyone has preconceived ideas about immortality, so anything that touches upon it is going to be seen as sending a message about it. TLU really isn't about immortality, though. It's much more about mortality. Everyone they come across grapples with the reality of mortality in some way. (Mommy Fortuna, with her idea that of all the witches in the world, she was the only one who held a Harpy and a Unicorn, which, in a way would make her immortal. Captain Cully, with his resentment of the immortal myth of Robin Hood, trying to gain his own immortality by making a myth of his own. And King Haggard, who lived the detached life of an immortal despite being a mortal, and who therefore could find no joy in life.)
>>
>>77652787
There's just a lot of stuff that got left out of the movie.
>>
>>77652676
The immortality thing came to me as going over how various characters interpreted it.

>Mommy Fortuna becoming immortal in the hatred of a harpy
>Schmendrick cursed to live forever until he becomes actual magician. Immortality is the curse and something else is the reward.
>Amalthia has her immortal regret, while the other unicorns lead immortal but somewhat empty(?) lives.
>The heartless Haggrad only sees beauty in the immortality of the unicorns, because he finds joy in nothing else.
>The thieves who look at the 'immortality' of the stories about Robin Hood and fail to model their lives on him. Captain Cully is the real thing and that's disappointing.

It's a very mixed bag of themes. And its only by a stretch that even half of them view immortality as an unambiguous 'good' thing.
>>
>>77636939

>There are no happy endings because nothing ends
>>
>>77653106

Well, all the immortal things in the story - The Unicorn, the Harpy, and the Red Bull - none of them seem to really dislike being immortal. Although we really only get a look into the thoughts of the unicorn. But their immortality is never really shown as being BAD for them.

I think the message is more that mortals will do crazy, insane things to try to grasp at immortality for themselves - like try to hold a vicious, bloodthirsty harpy, or live in the woods trying to build up their own myth and legend, or try to capture all the Unicorns in the world for themselves and drive all fear and attachment out of their hearts. The wisest men know that for mortals, immortality is a curse, but a seductive one, just as for immortals, mortality is a curse, but a seductive one. But in the end, a human cannot become immortal without losing their humanity, and an immortal cannot become mortal without losing their otheworldly nature. Mortality is good for mortals, and immortality is good for immortals, but that's because they are so different from each other as to be almost alien.
>>
>>77653106
It's all this, and the inherent cowardice of the other unicorns, that convinces me the whole default state of the unicorns isn't the preferable one. That their state is one of mere ignorance rather than true happiness. The other unicorns would have remained on the waves on the edge of the sea if the MC hadn't summoned up the bravery to meet the bull head on.

If remaining trapped by virtue of your own cowardice isn't suffering, I don't know what is.

>>77652928
Yes. She is alive now in a way she wasn't before. Richer for her experience. Including the ability to be brave. Something none of the other unicorns had either.
>>
>>77653326
>none of them seem to really dislike being immortal.
I don't think it's a question of if they personally think their immortality is good. Particularly given all of them (baring the unicorn at the very very end of the movie) have any perspective to know if it is good or bad.. much less asking the question if it is in the first place. For them it just.. is. That's just how it is.

The unicorn would probably know if you asked her at the end, but that would be a rather cruel question to ask. It's not like she can change her nature, and I somehow think mortality was a one time deal.
>>
>>77653106
Note how all the people who suffer for immortality are mortals or in Amalthea's case, an immortal being transformed into a mortal human. Immortal beings are meant to be immortal, and they do not exist on the same plane as mortal creatures, especially humans. They do not inherently suffer for their immortality because they're not meant to: unicorns don't normally form attachments, or love, or regret. They can feel sorrow (she tells Schmendrick as much) but they don't regret, which is altogether a different thing.

There's even a line in the book:

>Generation after generation, wolves and rabbits alike, they hunted and loved and had children and died, and as the unicorn did none of these things, she never grew tired of watching them.
>>
>>77639996

I check in when I can while at work. No hate, broseidon.
>>
>>77653487
>as the unicorn did none of these things, she never grew tired of watching them.
Sounds a lot like Haggard.
>>
>>77653346
>the inherent cowardice of the other unicorns,

What inherent cowardice? The Unicorn in the book (I don't think it was mentioned in the movie) has killed dragons, saved a king, etc, there's literally a line where it says 'the unicorn had never been afraid of anything' until the Bull.

The unicorns didn't run into the sea because golly gee they were scared of him, the Red Bull is described as an enormous, dark blind force that does whatever its master wants. It breaks their spirits and shakes their core with the weight of its presence. Another line from the book mentions that she didn't fear being killed by a dragon, because a dragon would always know that the unicorn was more beautiful and magnificent even in death, but the Red Bull didn't truly know what a unicorn was, and that dying because of the Red Bull was a true death.
>>
>>77653636
Now there's one hell of an interesting parallel.

Both are so unsatisfied with their own lives they have to enjoy the lives of others?
>>
>>77653682
Wouldn't they have stayed in the sea out of fear, even after the bull was gone, had the Unicorn not rescued them?
>>
>>77653636
>>77653715

I noted that there were parallels between Haggard and the Unicorn before. But in this case, it's not really a parallel, because Haggard WOULD get tired of watching those things. That's the whole point of his character, he gets bored with things, and nothing can bring him lasting joy.
>>
>>77653777
Doesn't he say to Amalthia that he never grows tired of watching the unicorns hes captured?
>>
>>77653715
I think it's supposed to be like how we desire what we can't have, while getting our wish may not be a good thing because it is something we can't have that makes it all the more seductive.
>>
>>77653682
people usually confuse cowardice with shyness
>>
>>77653801
He explicitly says there is only one thing he never gets tired of, and it's that, yes.
>>
>>77653740

I think that's the point. The Red Bull does more than frighten them. It dominates and domesticates them. It is the only thing capable of doing so. A big running theme is that nothing on earth can hold a unicorn in any way, although many people try (Mommy Fortuna, Shmendrick in his own way, Lir in his own way). Only Haggard is successful, and only because of the awful reality of the Red Bull.
>>
>>77546561
Literally me, except we did watch it together, and I even still have her copy of the book
tfw I can't bring myself to read it anymore
>>
>>77653821
>"Oh dear that Islamic fellow with the AK looks rather angry, do I say 'hello'? 'Good day'? Oh who am I kidding I'm no good with people, I'll just move away. Briskly."
>>
>>77653836
And yet the MC finds it in herself to overcome this. An admirable quality the others do not posses.

Which I find interesting if nothing else.

I think, even if the unicorns think they are happy how they are, they are not something to be envied by any means. It's obsession with the beauty and immortality of unicorns that motivates Haggard, after all. The obsession with the immortal beauty leads other characters to be miserable as well (how dare you come now! when I am this!) or even leads to their death. On the other side of the coin, the immortal MC could be said to have been happier (though less enriched by experience) having never known mortality.

Maybe, rather than mortality versus immortality, a lesson of being satisfied with what you have? Envy towards what others have has caused a lot of problems in terms of the plot of the movie. Hell, envy is the only reason the plot of the movie fucking exists.
>>
File: kim_2701423b.jpg (49KB, 620x387px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
kim_2701423b.jpg
49KB, 620x387px
I heard Kim is the master of all unicorns, should a man have all this power? forget isis, this dude is the world's final boss
>>
File: TheButcher.jpg (136KB, 500x419px) Image search: [iqdb] [SauceNao] [Google]
TheButcher.jpg
136KB, 500x419px
>>77650640
oh shit its the butcher
>>
>>77654204
You just reminded me of how a reporter tried to make emphasis on the seriousness of ISIS and said "never before has Russia allied worked together with the USA to take down a common enemy".

I could just feel everyone who knows of WWII cringing in disgust to that comment.
>>
>>77653740
Haggard, in the book, wonders if they "might have," but who knows. Though again, it's not simple fear that kept them there: it is this unyielding, as someone else put it, domination that went beyond simple fear into completely breaking them, for any time they tried to escape the Bull would immediately sense it and be back to force them into submission again.
>>
>>77654305
So he's the Red Lantern version of Parallax?
>>
>>77654130
>think they are happy

What is your obsession with trying to imply that the immortal unicorns, untainted by mortality like 'Amathea,' aren't "really" happy when there's nothing in the book or movie or any subsequent adaptation to show this?
>>
>>77654328
probably he's just a victim of the egocentric american education system. >"remember kids, america single handed killed hitler, the japanese, bin laden and satan, don't let anyone tell you otherwise"
>>
>>77654392
Yes

It's dead now though
>>
>>77654422
Because bliss through ignorance is incredibly fragile.
>>
>>77654497
You'd think a reporter would know better.
>>