[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Without simply concluding to "relationships", explain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 8

File: char_26937.jpg (22KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
char_26937.jpg
22KB, 210x240px
Without simply concluding to "relationships", explain why Regular Show and Adventure Time declined in quality.
>>
You are taking out one of the most important reasons why people don't like those shows now.
>>
>>77520650
Stagnation
>>
>>77520650
Corporate interfernce, shift in focus and tone, the shows weren't meant to be taken as serious as they are now trying to be and I'm sure there's more
>>
>>77520677
Oh and I think different writers too.
>>
File: 599.png (385KB, 599x480px) Image search: [Google]
599.png
385KB, 599x480px
>>77520650
>declined in quality
>Implying either had quality to begin with
>>
>>77520650
Without simply concluding to "4", solve 2+2
>>
>>77520650
The shows started out as labors of love by the creators and as they became popular and ran on ideas stagnated and new writers not in-tune with the creators signed on. It happens to any long-running show that isn't run with an iron fist.

They also had concepts that relied a great deal on being different from everything else that was out there at the time, and that novelty has long since worn off.

They are still decent shows (regular show is much better than adventure time, holy shit what happened to that show), just not as great as they were at the start.
>>
>>77520741
Fish.
>>
>>77520650
Adventure Time forgot how to be funny.

I haven't watched Regular Show in a long time and unaware of any decline.
>>
Both shows are now being written like fanfiction dramas.

They were originally light-hearted, fun shows with a focus on humor and cartoon nonsense.

When they stopped being about the funny nonsense, and started trying to make their characters deep with a romantic/feel-sorry-for-me background; that's when they stopped being good.

These shows would have stayed great if continuity and character development had been minor points, kept in the background, and been once-in-a-while type things.
>>
>>77520650
Did RS decline in quality? Sure, season 1 was the best in my opinion, but the rest of the show isn't bad, it's just very formulaic so it got old after a few seasons.
>>
>>77520741
>>
>>77520650
Without concluding to why it went to shit tell me why it went to shit
>>
File: 123312.png (759KB, 664x664px) Image search: [Google]
123312.png
759KB, 664x664px
>>77520650
The "supernatural entity" formula got stale.
Betacai bullshit reached its peak sometime in season 5-6.
That's about it. Now it's just repeating what we've already seen many times before, including romance shit
>>
AT started losing direction sometime during season 3. Season 4 saw a steep decline in quality - endings started becoming more abrupt, situations and the world made even less sense than before, and Fire Princess was a useless plot device that quickly got discarded. Now it's just total autism

>>77522461 was about Regular show
>>
File: smh_tbh_fam.gif (81KB, 182x249px) Image search: [Google]
smh_tbh_fam.gif
81KB, 182x249px
Personally I stopped watching RS a while ago because the episodes were getting way too formulaic and predictable
>Mordecai and Rigby start off the episode doing something mundane (paper, rock, scissors or chewing gum for example)
>mundane activity leads to some big paranormal, reality warping, possibly apocalyptic event
>crisis averted by completing mundane activity
>episode ends with a character's one liner, usually Mordecai saying "Uhhh" or "Dude..."
A formulaic episode format isn't necessarily a bad thing, Hell, King of the Hill was basically 259 episodes of "Hank saves the day", but when you stick to the formula as rigidly as RS does, shit gets kinda boring.
>>
>>77522634
This. RS is just too formulaic and stale for me now.
>>
>>77520741

>>
There needs to be a law inspired by Adventure Time that states if the first season or so of your cartoon didn't have dramatic elements you're not allowed to add them in later. It's like if you're watching Seinfeld and somewhere in season 4 there had been an episode about anti-semitism that's not played up for laughs, it's a very serious episode and by the end of it Jerry and friends are weeping over the dead nearly nude body of Elaine who has had a swastika spray painted on her. Shows that aren't dramatic early on have no business adding drama later on.

Regular Show's even worse in this regard. I know you said not to use relationships as an example but, I mean, think back to when you were originally watching the 1st season of Regular Show. When/if you pondered what future things might happen on the show did you even imagine Mordecai being involved in relationship drama and further more that said drama would last through many episodes rather than being resolved & kicked to the curb in two or three episodes like it should have been?

at least Steven Universe made it's dramatic intentions clear pretty early on.
>>
>>77523064
This.

I understand character development, but Mordecai's bullshit and the whole Muscle Man/Starla thing killed my interest in RS too. I really hope this season is the last.
>>
>>77520650

I can't speak for Regular Show, but Adventure Time suffered heavily from Rebecca Sugar leaving. All of the lore and plotlines that she was working on suddenly lost direction and came to crappy and unsatisfying conclusions, doing a large part to sour viewers on the relationships in Adventure Time overall.
>>
desu, they weren't built to last. They had a few good seasons, but at some point they start to run out of new stories and what makes them individual. They have to start dipping into either fan stories, or basing off other TV shows, and all shows take a dip after that.
>>
File: comparison.jpg (57KB, 400x415px) Image search: [Google]
comparison.jpg
57KB, 400x415px
>>77520883
>Adventure Time forgot how to be funny
Yes.
>>
>>77523131
>I really hope this season is the last
CN renewed RS for 8th season along with AT, read the internet more.
>>
>>77520650
Talking about AT:
>it got so many subplot going to no where
>Susan
>FP
>Jake pups
>Finn's arm
>Finn's Dad
>The Comet
>finn x princess bubblegum
>Dropped finn x princess bubblegum
>Trying to recover finn x princess bubblegum
>Dropped finn x princess bubblegum (again)
>Forcing Bubbline
>>
>>77524004
>Simon (Ice King) & Marceline's relationship & and their backstory
>>
File: tumblr_nxvy1x14hp1ud5wcho2_1280.png (1012KB, 1280x1469px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxvy1x14hp1ud5wcho2_1280.png
1012KB, 1280x1469px
>>
>>77520650
RS fell into a rut, and after a while it felt creatively bankrupt.

With AT, it was a combination of Pen stepping down, the crew disagreeing on what to do with the show, and not knowing what the show is goddamn about in general. In addition, the later seasons just lack energy a lot of the time, the characters just sound genuinely bored or talk in a matter-of-fact way without any sort of emotion behind it. When was the last time Finn just went "Hahaha, YEAH!"
>>
>>77525141
>When was the last time Finn just went "Hahaha, YEAH!"
S1 has Finn as 12 y.o. kid who was silly and dreamed about being the biggest hero, now he's a motherfucking mature teenager. And exactly, the show is just 'an boring talk and stuff' right now after Ward leaved the crew.
>>
>>77520650
Regular show literally stayed the same and AT had way too many chefs in the kitchen and changed too much.
>>
>>77520650
the "lets do a normal thing that turns wacky and crazy" formula got old fast, hell they even mock it themselves with the format war episodes with the guys being actually exasperated of having to do all that shit just to watch a movie.
>>
File: 1441674665981.gif (171KB, 558x400px) Image search: [Google]
1441674665981.gif
171KB, 558x400px
>>77524358
>>
>>77520741
>>
>>77520650

Focusing on relationships was not the cause, but a symptom. Both shows have simply gone on too long, and they're out of anything real to say. They are writing fan fiction of their own shows. Even the storyboarding in Regular Show has become lazy and stale.

Good stories have a goal in sight. But this is not how cartoons work. The networks want loose ends, filler episodes, concept shows on which they can overlay recycled plotlines from older cartoons. They want animated soap operas, and that's what these shows have become.

That said, it's hard to blame the showrunners themselves for going along with this. There is no security in this business. You can have a hit show one day, and become a nobody the next. So they also have an incentive to milk this for as long as possible. If Alex Hirsch actually walks away from Gravity Falls after season 2, I'd have a new level of respect for him.
>>
>>77520650
>season with flashbacks
>season with relations
>season with drama
>agony
>death
>final half-season
>>
>One of the characters take an interest in something
>INSERT GOD OF INTEREST
>they defeat the god

Every fucking episode.
>>
File: mfw_crimefesr.gif (2MB, 315x177px) Image search: [Google]
mfw_crimefesr.gif
2MB, 315x177px
What was the last good RS season?
Personal opinion was 4. 5 showed signs of decline.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.