[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if I told you I had some inside information and people are

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 96
Thread images: 6

File: comixology-mobile.jpg (47KB, 475x274px) Image search: [Google]
comixology-mobile.jpg
47KB, 475x274px
What if I told you I had some inside information and people are about to collectively lose millions of dollars worth of comics? Especially if you have any comics from one of the Big Two?

There will be no refunds. Comixology's PR plan is try to peg the blame on the company pulling out.
>>
>>77478104
>one of the Big Two
>DC has been in Comixology's pockets for the past couple years
>Marvel is trying to push their shitty service

Gee, I wonder who it is pulling out
>>
>>77478126
What would marvel do ?
>>
>>77478142
Marvel Unlimited or whatever name of their digital thing is.
>>
>>77478126
This. OP, you should have just said it was Marvel.
>>
>>77478142
I'm guessing Marvel will offer to transfer your Comixology purchases to their shitty service.
>>
File: Hikaru Smugulu.jpg (5KB, 251x233px) Image search: [Google]
Hikaru Smugulu.jpg
5KB, 251x233px
I would tell you that I don't buy any Big Two comics.

I only buy creator-owned comics which are offered with DRM-free digital downloads.
>>
That's what people get for being big enough suckers to pay for digital.

Pirating and then buying collected editions for stuff you like is the only way to go.
>>
>>77478188
>>77478191
>implying there's anyone dumb enough to buy digital without backing it up

wew
>>
>>77478126
I hope DC just happens to have a huge sale after Marvel leaves.

>>77478188
I'm a DCfag, but this. I only used Comixology during huge sales/to support the series I liked that needed it.
>>
>>77478104
Nice proof, OP
>>
>>77478211
You can't back up Big Two comics
>>
>>77478245
I was just explaining this to an idiot in another thread. You can easily do it. You just have to copy it from your browser's cache. When you open the comic to read on their website a copy gets downloaded to your computer. This is the most basic shit senpai.
>>
>>77478240
>be in denial
>"i-it's f-fake, g-guys!"
>>
>>77478268
>You just have to copy it from your browser's cache.

And the quality of the in-browser reader is shit.
>>
>>77478104
>MARVELDRONES BTFO'D
>COMIXOLOGYFAGS BTFO'D

Best day ever
>>
>>77478186
Marvel will now be selling their digital comics through Tumblr. You'll be able to read all of your Marvel comics through the Tumblr app.
>>
>>77478104
If this is true, then I'm done with paying for Marvel. I was hanging on for Star Wars, but now Imma just pirate.
>>
>buying digital comic books
>buying capeshit

baka senpai desu
>>
>>77478279
Well that's up for debate I guess. To me they're fine. I still prefer physical but it's mostly a comfort thing since I don't like reading on a screen that long.

I'm not sure if those are better but if you want the HD versions from an iPad or something it takes a little more work but you can still get them. It's not really hard to extract saved app files. And those copies would remain on your iPad anyway if they got pulled from Comixology's site.
>>
>>77478386
>And those copies would remain on your iPad anyway if they got pulled from Comixology's site.

Nope, the next time you connect to the internet, they'll get locked. At least that's what happened when they removed my accidental purchase from my Android.

And it's an iPad. You absolutely will need to reset it sometime. Also true with Android.
>>
>>77478104
PR SHITSTORM HYPE!
>>
>>77478104
>Comixology's PR plan is try to peg the blame on the company pulling out.

Yeah that's not gonna help them (assuming it's true and not some bullshit from you OP)
>>
>>77478422
>the next time you connect to the internet

Exactly. It doesn't happen instantaneously. The moment you hear that they're pulling the comics you turn off your antenna on the device and copy your files.
>>
>>77478104
If true, thanks for posting it here first and not on BleedingCool like a faggot.

Actually, I want to see this reach BC. Maybe the backlash will cause Marvel to move their heads a centimeter out of their asses.
>>
>>77478279
It works well enough for all those digital rips you pirate.
>>
>>77478464
>implying they'll state when they're going to do that

They'll announce it after the pull the comics. I just hope the rumor about them moving your purchases to a new service is true, at least it's something.

But being Marvel, they'll probably just give a $5 credit.
>>
>>77478104
>There will be no refunds

I would assume they'd at least issue like a token five dollar credit to your account like they did when Amazon had them enforce buying via the website instead of the comixology app.
>>
>>77478279
>And the quality of the in-browser reader is shit.

They still haven't brought HD to browsers? I guess they have no incentive to now that Win 8/10 has a Comixology app, but still, that's BS.
>>
>>77478540
This. I doubt Comixology will work with them to transfer purchases, because that's Marvel smitting them.

At best, you'll get a $5 credit.
>>
>>77478521
There will be a minority of people who open up the app before they find out the news. Everyone else will read on social media or the comic news sites or /co/ first. I have no sympathy for people too stupid to have planned for this sort of contingency. You have plenty of time to save a copy and there will be ways to rip one before it's too late anyway.

It's a shitty thing for them to do to their customers but that's Disney for you.
>>
>>77478573
But the problem is, this won't get reported. Most of the people here don't believe OP.
>>
>>77478547
Comixology recently canceled development on their Windows 8\10 app. If you used it they gave you $5 and told you to use the browser version from now on.
>>
>>77478620
The hell? That must be shit on the Windows Surface. Not to mention Windows Phone, it wouldn't even work there.
>>
>>77478597
If there was ever a time for BC to dig their nose into /co/, it's now
>>
>>77478597
It won't get reported ahead of time but it will get reported before a significant number of people log into the app and get their shit auto deleted. There will be time to rip the downloads from your mobile device.

But other than the fact that you have to make effort beyond simply clicking download to get it, that it's exactly as if an indie who had the "official DRM-free copy". They can pull out at any time and leave you without that link if you didn't download it. Simply back your shit up when you buy it. It's not hard.
>>
>>77478573
>It's a shitty thing for them to do to their customers but that's Disney for you.

Marvel did shitty things like that long before they got bought out by Disney. Remember the comics distribution fiasco they caused?
>>
>>77478188
>implying you buy anything
>implying you aren't a filthy piratefag with a superiority complex
>>
The blogs that do nothing, but praise Marvel will talk about how great and innovative they are for committing to Unlimited. That Marvel is progressin in the digital age.

Then, a couple months down the line, when DC does the same thing they'll be lambasted for screwing over all the fans who bought digitally through Comixology. What monsters!
>>
I so badly want this to be true.
>>
>>77478799

I'd love a DC version of Marvel unlimited tbqh f@M
>>
File: Mvsc_onslaught2.gif (21KB, 562x363px) Image search: [Google]
Mvsc_onslaught2.gif
21KB, 562x363px
Marvel Unlimited is pretty good as a concept. The problem is the software is a bit shit.

I've read all kinds of shit on it that I wouldn't have otherwise. That doesn't give them the right to pull their books from other services, though.

Then again this being the internet and 4chan specifically I'm sure the concept of paying any amount of money for things is ripe for ridicule.
>>
>>77478826

Is the filter still on?
Tbh desu
Smh baka
Senpai senpai
>>
The only way it would work for Marvel Unlimited is if they added another payment option beyond the monthly subscriptions for backlogs. Like it would have be $100+ for a year to get new comics too. Getting rid of day-0 digital altogether for Marvel wouldn't make a ton of sense.
>>
>>77478900
>Getting rid of day-0 digital altogether for Marvel wouldn't make a ton of sense.
Unless they're trying to force more floppy sales.
>>
>>77478920
More likely that they'd think getting rid of it will make piracy more difficult somehow, like people have thrown out their scanners or something.
>>
It's a good thing I don't buy Marvel.
>>
>>77478749
Well, gosh, I can see that somebody is in a bad mood today.
>>
>be DCfag
>be buyfag
>be digitalfag (when on sale)
>still not suffering as much as Marvledrones

Feels good
>>
File: 1447267823590.jpg (44KB, 567x457px) Image search: [Google]
1447267823590.jpg
44KB, 567x457px
>>77479373
I feel ya, handsome. Here's to not being a House of Mouse jew loving kekhold shiba inu deathgrips.
>>
>>77478104
I can believe it.
>>
>>77479373
Being a fan of DC over Marvel is like only getting repeatedly whipped instead of getting fucked an whipped.
>>
>buying comics
>>
If Marvel is removing their stuff, they need to allow people to access everything they bought vie Marvel's own app. If they did not do this there would be a gargantuan shitstorm and a class-action lawsuit coming Marvel's way.

Not surprisingly, you can already connect your Marvel Unlimited account to your Comixology account. There is nothing to worry about.
>>
>>77478191
I'd rather have my more of my money go to the people making them then let Diamond get their grubby mitts on my money.
>>
>buy DC when on sale on Comixology
>only Marvel comics I have in my Comixology library are a few free ones and few loose single issues I got for $0.99

The only thing I buy from Marvel is Star Wars and Ms. Marvel trade paperbacks

At most, I'm losing a Lee/Kirby Avengers Masterwork I got for $3.
>>
>>77479986
>If they did not do this there would be a gargantuan shitstorm and a class-action lawsuit coming Marvel's way.
Your user agreement gives them full legal right to do this

>Not surprisingly, you can already connect your Marvel Unlimited account to your Comixology account.
And they'll probably break that connection before they pull out.

However, this will be a PR nightmare, so I see they may try to cut a deal with Comixology.
>>
>>77480019
When you buy Marvel or DC comics none of your purchase goes to the creators. It all goes to the publisher and your LCS, Diamond, online retailer, or digital distributer. Creators are paid ahead of time on page rates. They get paid the same if the book sells out or sits in dollar bins.
>>
>>77480065
>Your user agreement gives them full legal right to do this
I'm pretty sure that wouldn't stand up in court. And even if it did at first, I'm certain Marvel would not want the PR nightmare of this going all the way to Supreme Court.

>And they'll probably break that connection before they pull out.
Nah, don't worry, that would be waaaaaay too obvious.
>>
>>77480090
With DC at least you get royalties if it sells over a certain amount

although I think you have to be writing Batman, JL, JLA or Harley Quinn to be selling high enough
>>
>>77480090
And the more the book sells, the more royalties the creators get, or the higher pay they can demand.

Whichever way you slice it, purchasing digitally is better for everyone. You don't need to leave your house, less (or maybe no) people take a cut, it destroys the collector's market, and if physical publishing was phased out entirely the mob- I'm sorry, Diamond would be out of buisness.

Seriously, this ain't up for debate. Physical publishing of comics needs to fucking DIE.
>>
>>77480100
>I'm pretty sure that wouldn't stand up in court
??? yes it would, what do you think "they are legally allowed to do exactly that" means
>>
>>77480175
I can't stand digital.

I only pirate and then buy collected editions.
>>
>>77480191
>I can't stand digital.
>I only pirate
Do you not read your pirated copies digitally or what
>>
>>77480214
I read them digitally, but I would never pay for a digital copy.
>>
>>77480167
Yeah but with big two comics your page rates are much higher than average.

The only downside is that if you don't sell much higher than some of the biggest indies, even if the sales of those indies is stupifyingly low, you're cancelled.

Case in point: Omega Men and Prez both sell higher than Lumberjanes. Prez is getting cut in half, people had to basically bully DC into letting the Omega Men guys finish what they wanted. Meanwhile Lumberjanes is one of the biggest indie darlings on the block.

Again, selling less copies than two books DC sees fit to cancel.
>>
>>77480185
Well, that's what courts are for: debating exactly that.
>>
>>77480185
Those clauses don't really mean a lot. They include them to scare people like you mostly.
>>
>>77480254
The Prez team said the second half was still coming like a few weeks ago. It's being published as separate minis but is still planned.
>>
Look at PC gaming.

EA has origin so it doesn't have to give steam a cut from the sales of its games.

But it scans your Steam linrary and gives you every EA game you bought on Steam for free in Origin. So if EA removed their entire catalog from Steam, you could still access the games you bought.

The same thing will happen here. If the biggest third-party video game publisher didn't dare to fuck over its audience, nobody is going to try it in an outdated, irrelevant medium like comics.
>>
>>77480254

Gillen said something similar about how Wicked and Divine is his biggest hit ever
>>
>>77478881
They also have annoying as fuck holes in the stuff that's available. You have every Avengers comic but don't cover the X-men in the same detail? Fucking bullshit.
>>
>>77480331
Yeah, if not this year, then hopefully they will bring it over to next year so it can coincide with the trumpening.
>>
>>77480331
If it's not solicited in February or March I'd worry, but yeah I think the writer and artist (and iirc an editor) said it's still coming recently

>>77480334
Didn't Snyder say that he makes more off Wytches than Batman?
>>
>>77480254
This, Marvel/DC or Indie is basic risk vs. reward. You can make a living writing for the big two, but if you have an indie book that becomes successful (and "successful" is 10k sales if that), you can make way more. But there's only a handful of indie books that usually sell in that range, so its difficult. But guys like Gillen, BKV, especially Kirkman; I'm sure they've made far more money off their indie books than anything at the big two.
>>
>>77480366
Also it feels like more and more writers are just beefing up their resumes and spreading their name at the big two then moving on to creator owned stuff

Tom King's inevitable first Image book is pretty much already guaranteed to be a huge hit
>>
>>77478104
Good. I fucking hate this scum sucking company. Comixology has been a wart on the ass of this industry since it first showed up.

I hope they tank.

I know it is wishful thinking that they will take all the "digital comic collectivist" groups that have been plaguing web comics and all of the digital comic medium in general for the past few years, but it would be nice to hope it serves as a wake up call.

The people running Comixology and other digital or web comic collective are the biggest leeches the industry has seen, offering and making nothing and trying to get as much as they can out of that 0 effort.

They are basically the modern equivalent of the "dot com" CEO's of the late 90's -- pets.com, etoys.com, etc---and I hope they suffer the same fate and all go bankrupt too.
>>
>>77480410
It'd be better if his new Vertigo book is a big hit. Might help revive Vertigo from its coma.
>>
>>77480430
I definitely agree, I really hope it does well
>>
>>77480175
I think physical can work, but I definitely think Diamond needs to die.

Admittedly, for physical to work long-term, there would need to be large infrastructure changes to how comics are published, where they're distributed to, and how marketing works. And, pound-for-pound, I don't think any company wants to really invest in that (plus, as it's been recently pointed out, the infrastructure change would be nearly impossible now).

Digital isn't ideal for a lot of reasons:
* I think people still associate "real" comics with physical books -- that is, even compared to ebooks, it'll be hard to sell people on the concept of most/all comics being digital only
* DRM and "ownership" is always an issue

But, more than absolutely anything, digital DOES work towards decreasing the price point and potentially putting comics in every person's hands. Once Diamond dies, pretty much every company will reap huge benefits.
>>
>>77480415
Now replace Comixology with Diamond, and references to digital and webcomics with direct market comic book stores, and your post finally starts making sense.
>>
>Buying digital exclusively.
>Not backing up your digital copies.
>Buying Marvel.

Never do any of the three things above. If this turns out to be true, you have only yourself to blame.
>>
>>77480410
I remember an indieguy going on a twitter rant about it. Basically because there are so many comics out there, at the LCS level they don't stock your books unless you've made a name for yourself through big 2 stuff. Shops can't carry everything and that's how they trim the herd.
>>
>>77480498
You don't need to back up jack shit, there are already sites that let you read pirated comics for free online.

Or you can always just downkoad a cbr file somebody already prepared.
>>
>>77480495
Don't get me started on Diamond. They are a cancer that is even worse than Comixology.

Honestly, I doubt anyone here will defend them. I think we all are hoping for the day then they end up as financially bankrupt as they have bankrupted the quality of this industry.

I wish Marvel or DC would just would just fucking pull out and stop keeping Diamond pregnant with load after load of their money-spunk allowing Diamond to hork out more industry draining baby-turds than the Christian and Islamic faiths combined!

Sorry to all the lazy fat-guy "local comic shops" whining that they don't want to order from more than one source.

The system was not made to survive on a monopoly--at least not for long.
>>
>>77480415
Butthurt, woo-hoo
Not stomach-hurt or earlobe hurt, no
Butthurt, woo-hoo
>>
>>77480415
What "digital comic collectivist" groups are you talking about?
>>
>>77480185
Retard. Do you think if they slipped a clause about owning your children in the fine print it would hold up in court?
>>
>>77478126
I hope not but they're stupid enough to do it.
>>
File: Scrooge-Porpoise.jpg (78KB, 522x406px) Image search: [Google]
Scrooge-Porpoise.jpg
78KB, 522x406px
>>77478104
I'd laugh my ass off and then go swimming through my thousands of floppies like Scrooge McFuckingDuck.

Also, I pirate.Yo-ho!
>>
I like how Marvel offers a free digital copy with their comics, but then again they're also stupidly more expensive.

They should make all new release digital comics one to two dollars, and if stores complain, they can just tell them to shut up and deal with it since they provide half their goddamn inventory.

I don't see Marvel doing it but DC might if they're smart. Better digital sales would lead to better physical sales, especially if physical always included a digital copy.

Diamond is probably the one holding this back, I don't understand why Marvel doesn't go through one of Disney's publishing companies or something. They have DC by the balls though.
>>
>>77484329
>They should make all new release digital comics one to two dollars
I don't really think they can afford to
>>
>>77478104
i'd lose a hundred or two comics but i'd be ok since i have almost three thousand comics on comixology and i didn't pay for any of them.
>>
>>77478671
No sign of it on their site.
>>
File: dubstbh.gif (498KB, 255x235px) Image search: [Google]
dubstbh.gif
498KB, 255x235px
>Paying for digital comics
>>
>>77484375
Just digital versions. The biggest thing I hear potential new readers bitch about is price. If they were cheaper through digital, people would buy more comics more often. People out there WANT to read comics, but the industry is only really conducive to people who only buy a small handful of books monthly, and then kept afloat by the faggots like me who buy a fuck ton.

Trades are doing really well right now, because $20 for six issues is a much better value proposition than $3-5 per issue when you're buying multiple books at once.

Physical can stay the same price and the same fans will keep buying, cheaper digital books will hugely increase comic sales in general.
Thread posts: 96
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.