[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I write a comic book?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

I've learned how to write a screenplay when I was pretty young, wrote plays when I was even younger, and now I want to write comics. How do I do this, and are there any resources that you lovelies can give me?
>>
>>77450316
Anybody have an answer?
>>
theres this comic with this guy with glasses talks about comics i think
maybe he just talked about art i never read it but i think it might help
someone will know what im talking about
>>
i don't have one but there are examples of comic books scripts on the web
From what i understand first you write the whole concept of your story, then you divide it in chapters and add the synopsis of eache chanter, and then you write it in script format.
Then you talk about the division of panels and such with the artist.
>>
>>77450316
Like a movie a guess, make a screenplay, then a storyboard.

Honestly, there is a ton of different doctrines and supports, so it's hard to give you general advice.
What kind of comic do you want to make exactly ?

I'm not aware many books in english that approach the technical aspect, apart from Scott Mccloud - The Invisible Art, as >>77450727 said. It's a nice book though.
>>
Pretty much how you would do a screenplay I'm sure
Just write the characters and dialogue, and describe the physical actions the characters should be doing from panel to panel
>>
>>77450727
Dobson :^]
>>
>>77450727
Making Comics by Scott McCloud
>>
A key thing to realize is that there's no one, single accepted format for writing comic scripts.

Screenplays, for example, became standardized to guide the massive influx of spec scripts. If there were no spec scripts (or fewer between the beginning of the talky era and, say, 1950), then screenplays today would be written with the same amount of variety.

The average comic writer just writes in a way that is readable by their artists and editors. That's it. It's pretty much why it's kinda pointless to write a comic script just for yourself if it's not going to be drawn.
>>
>>77451439
>Making Comics by Scott McCloud
There can be only one.
>>
>>77450316
Dobson
>>
http://www.comicbookscriptarchive.com/archive/
>>
>>77450316
Be BFF with someone who has pull at DC/Marvel and you can get writing gigs even you're complete idiot. Case in point, Lobdell.
>>
>>77451706
Or Ericka Henderson

Greg Land

Bendis
>>
>>77450316
I had the same question as well, and a lot of it I learned from two books: Alan Moores Writing for Comics Vol. 1, and As stupid as it sounds, Writing Comics for Dummies. All that can really be gleaned from these though is that you're basically having a conversation with the Artist about what you want on the panel, even to panel position. With of course Dialogue. Dunno how well that translates to screenplay's, but there it is.
>>
>>77451764
Bendis had to do some competent writing and storytelling when he started out and for years afterward.

Even now his problem is not idiocy, it's more lack of giving a shit about a character's previous characterization.
>>
>>77451764
To be fair to Bendis, he has earned his place with stellar earlier works, but has turned to shit under the current pressure.
>>
Andrew Dobson has loads of helpful tutorials and tips.
You can find him on deviantart.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.