[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Oni Press Accepting Open Comics Submissions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 100
Thread images: 15

Well, is your pitch ready /co/? what are you submitting?
>>
Just throw some diversity at them and they'll eat it up.
In fact name it Diversity and throw in some social justice shit
>>
>>70499330
But they already publish Rucka, who loves Stronk Independent Womyn.
>>
My sequel story to Scott Pilgrim about his and Ramona's children
>>
File: Boss - Stacy Lee Phillips 01.jpg (293KB, 546x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Boss - Stacy Lee Phillips 01.jpg
293KB, 546x1200px
>>70498793
I'll probably give it a shot, though I have no idea what I'd pitch yet. Oh well, I'm sure something'll come to mind.
>>
>>70498793
Si if Im already freely self publishing my webcomic online its not longer eligible for this? Anyone has any clue on this?
>>
>>70498793
i don't even know how'd i pitch it
>>
Fuck yes, time for my comic about a Bangladeshi taxi driver in NYC to go mainstream
>>
>>70503117
I'd read it. Unless it's about fight scenes or wacky shenanigans, that shit is boring and clichéd.
>>
>>70499854
Where is that image from judge anon? It seems familiar.
>>
>Rebecca Sugar pitches a Zim spinoff
>>
Will pitch a typical action comic with explosions and characters with finishing moves but I'll try to make it extra diverse, for diversity.
>>
what can you submit
>>
File: Stacy Lee Phillips - Lilith 01.jpg (378KB, 647x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Stacy Lee Phillips - Lilith 01.jpg
378KB, 647x1000px
>>70503431
It's from an artist called Stacey Lee Phillips.
>>
File: 1385692728620.jpg (44KB, 372x372px) Image search: [Google]
1385692728620.jpg
44KB, 372x372px
>tfw no portfolio, no way I can make a good one in two months

I hope a pitch is enough. How do you pitch a comic anyway? just make a short "pilot" version? draw the first couple of pages and see if that's what they're looking for? draw the characters and describe what you want to do?
>>
>>70507539
Yes and yes. I've never made one, but I've seen some friends' "pilot" issues. usually what they do is a short 7-10 page "Prologue", like a quick story or part of an issue to show the tone they're going for, and then cap it off with some character bios and a synopsis of what's gonna happen. Though that's if you're an artist, or have an artist at the ready. If not, it's better to do a two-page pitch, a script, and some character notes if you want.
'least, that's what I know. Oni say they'll say more once the submissions open in May.
>>
Remember to pull a Greg Weisman, /co/:
>Marvel announced a search for new talent. I reasoned that they'd be flooded with submissions. But I also reasoned that DC would soon announce a search for new talent as well. So instead of prepping a submission to Marvel, I prepped one for DC. Sure enough, DC announced a search for new talent, and I was able to instantly send in my submission. I was the second name logged in. The story is WAY more complex than that, but that's how it started.
>>
>>70507539
>>70508044

I'm a writer and looking into this, and while I've never been able to do a pitch yet (I'm only 19, so I'm not exactly heavy into the career yet) I imagine even if you're not an artist something like layouts and thumbnails would help a lot. You don't have to be a great artist to get the basic idea of what you want each page to look like across. That's what I plan to do on my comics, at least.
>>
>>70508044
You had a strip published in a Dredd fanzine, right?
Have you done anything else?
>>
File: 1424846470510.jpg (19KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
1424846470510.jpg
19KB, 250x250px
>tfw wrote a pirate story for Top Cow a year ago
>tfw full script in hand that just need retooling
>>
>>70499330

>“We are on the hunt for new stories from new creators, featuring characters that reflect the diversity of the world around us,”

Man, you nailed it.
brb drawing Nigger Man vs. the White Police Force of Doom comics and getting published
>>
>>70508457
I'm not really sure how much that'd help. After all, you're a writer. You write. You can suggest panelling and angles and such, but at the end of the day I think the artist shouldn't be restrained too hard by that, since conveying your writing through art is their job. Of course, very rookie artists tend to prefer hard guidelines of panelling and such because usually they're not yet at that point of experience and confidence when you can just give them a one-line panel description and they'll go for it, but personally, I prefer trusting in the artist and leaving the visual aspect to them. And even if there's no artist yet, like in this case, I think it'd be better to focus on your craft than to try to overreach yourself.

>>70508657
Yes, and a couple of scripts over at Premier Comics back when it was still called Pulp. And, uh, a prose story in a 'zine. About buff girls.
>>
>>70508397
That's some straight up keikaku shit
>>
File: egothumb.jpg (104KB, 612x410px) Image search: [Google]
egothumb.jpg
104KB, 612x410px
>trying to get into Oni Press when Image worst selling books sell better than the average Oni.
>>
>>70508843
>ONI
>Pitching a cape story
Yeah sure you'll get published.
>>
>>70508933
You've got to start somewhere.
>>
>>70508884
Yeah, you're probably right. I was thinking it might help to show you at least KNOW how the art part of things works, but I was also thinking of making this a webcomic before reading this, so I was also in the mindset of that I'd be paying an artist instead of working with one directly, where I guess I'd want more control?

Maybe I was just in the wrong mindset from the beginning, but I'm still learning. Even if my pitch doesn't get accepted (it probably won't because it's probably one of the least popular genres right now) I think the experience would still be worth it.
>>
>>70508965
Hell, I'd say Image is still superior because they are always taking submissions. With Oni you usually have to contact them via con.
>>
>>70507539
http://www.jimzub.com/here-comes-the-pitch-part-one/
start here
>>
>>70498793
Nah, too busy with college shit and gittin gud.

Maybe next time.
>>
>>70509045
>Even if my pitch doesn't get accepted (it probably won't because it's probably one of the least popular genres right now) I think the experience would still be worth it.
Oh, no doubt about it. Especially if Oni is cool enough to send you an e-mail with the reason why you weren't accepted. The Rejection Letter, when done well, is your best friend. Think of it as artillery fire: if you manage to calculate just well enough, and with a spot of luck, you may get effect on target right away. But more often than not, you'll have to readjust and hope you didn't hit an orphanage with your first shot.
>>
>>70509066
I thought Image only took writer/artist collaborations. Like, you can't just pitch them a story.
>>
>>70509066

Does Oni pay to make the book/give advances? Because if they do, that makes way better than Image.
>>
>>70509297
>Especially if Oni is cool enough to send you an e-mail with the reason why you weren't accepted.

Yeah, that kind of stuff is what I need if I'm not accepted. Tell me what I need to do better next time, and I'll do it.

The genre is mecha by the way.
>>
>>70509329
You have to pitch actual work for Image, which you'd better be doing anyway because empty pitches are completely useless.
>>
File: 1426545819725.jpg (398KB, 986x1174px) Image search: [Google]
1426545819725.jpg
398KB, 986x1174px
QUICK

PITCH YOUR IDEA FOR A MUH DIVERSITY COMIC
>>
>>70509630
Once upon a time you shut the fuck up

The end
>>
>>70509655
10/10 would read again
>>
>>70509630
Alright, get this.
It's a comic, right? And it's another run of Vibe.
Eh? Eh?
>>
>>70509369

Eva mecha? Gunbuster mecha? Mechwarrior mecha?

Are the mechas piloted by cute girls?
>>
>>70509758
No, the cute girls are piloted by mechas.
>>
>>70509630
Brown mexican muslim girl reclaims her sexuality by punching white males harrassing slutty cosplaying girls at cons.
>>
>>70509810
>Tiny mechanical aliens pilot cute girl mechs in order to interact with human society
Fund it
>>
>>70509758
It's a combination of various inspirations. The gist of it is that humanity has moved into space, creating not only space colonies but also colonizing Mars itself. Crystals that amplify energy are discovered there, and the people on Mars declare independence and a war starts, and they use the crystals to create Macross style transforming mechs. Earth responds by creating their own, more reliable but less powerful, Gundam style mechs.

The plot focuses on four different pilots, initially separated, but eventually converging. One is on the Earth side of things and a pilot for a new, more advanced version of their mech. The second is a Char-esque rival to the first guy; he leads a small group of mercenaries contracted by the Martian military that have their own super custom version of Mars mechas. The third is an older guy who used to be a famous Earth pilot before they invented mechs, who upon witnessing plans for basically dropping the nuclear powered Mazinger-esque prototype onto colonies to literally wipe out every man woman and child, stole it and now wanders the Earth using it to help people. The last is a teenaged girl whose father was working on a new type of mech that hooks in directly to its pilot so they can control it mentally, as well as using a new energy source to create hard light constructs a-la Green Lantern. The Martian government kills her father and kidnaps her sister in an attempt to take the mech, and she then uses it to try and get her sister back.

Eventually the converge into a team as the plot escalates into the truly ridiculous, leading to a scale similar to what the likes of Getter Robo/Gurren Lagann achieved.

I'd say the cute girl/guy ratio is fairly evenly split.
>>
>>70509630
You know what I think would be actually pretty cool?
A gay protagonist that is as stereotypical as you can get... who's actually cool. Like he is all girly and all that but also a badass proactive character but isn't always talking about taking it in the butt even when he has a stable relationship.

Dunno, not even homo, but it would be so original and a good example that because you are stereotipically gay you don't have to be obnoxious like those parades show, just a person who happens to be like that.
>>
>>70510042

Ya know, someone should actually pitch this, sure it's totally not original(and probably copy pasta), it's still a premise.

And nowadays the entry is so low, I mean even marvel hires webcomic tier artist.
>>
>>70509655
>>70509671
samefag
>>
>>70510207
I'm not sure whether or not to take this as a compliment.
>>
>>70509630
An asian twink fuccboi gets fucked by big black cock while musing on CIS white privilege.
>>
>>70510249
>>70509630
Samefag
>>
>>70510583
>>70510249
samefag
>>
File: sudden_revelation.gif (193KB, 250x215px) Image search: [Google]
sudden_revelation.gif
193KB, 250x215px
What does it mean if I've just gone through the catalog of Oni Press looking to see if they've already accepted things like my concept and found exactly one book they published that's so close in the idea (and yet, still very different) that it could be its brother?

Like, I'm fucking floored right now. It's got almost the same kind of focus and worldbuild, but with an entirely different story, characters, and perspective... and yet, it's still so similar. Very different, yet very similar.

No, can't really elaborate. I'll just say it's the same special grouping of species in a world of their own who have a purpose. No, it's not cape-y.

Is this a good thing, because they HAVE taken shit like this before, and it's sold? Movie rights were purchased by a major house to the adaptation and everything. Is it a BAD thing, because they've already done this?

I've never even heard of the book in question, which is why I'm so awestruck it's a thing.
>>
>>70511256
Come on, just tell us what they accepted.
>>
File: 1326947704860.gif (2MB, 302x347px) Image search: [Google]
1326947704860.gif
2MB, 302x347px
>>70511256
That shit happens to me all the time. I always get inspired by anime and try to mix it up and then an actual anime is released with the same core concept and tone, and worse, it gets popular, and I feel like if I publish my stuff I'd come off as a shitty rip-off.
Just gives me the great need of killing myself everytime.
>>
>>70511503

Rascal Raccoon's Raging Revenge. Purchase for movie adaptation by Warner Brothers in 2012. The whole toonworld idea is, essentially, exactly the same, with an entirely different story, setting, and characters. But the concept of using pure toons as the sole focus, in a toon world, in conflict with one another that goes beyond the cartoons? That's... that's exactly what my idea is, without going into too much detail.

I didn't even know there was a market for my idea outside of the internet. I'm in fucking awe. And even scarier, I'm a fucking amateur who's been cranking for, like, two years trying to git gud just to make a webcomic from this.

And now, the chance to actually pitch and maybe be taken legitimately seriously is here? Holy shit.

>>70511581

This is exactly what I'm feeling. If I pitch this, it may seem like I'm trying to mimic what they've published and put my own spin on it, but this idea's been developing between myself and my co-creator for over a year, and I had NO IDEA this other book even existed or COULD.
>>
>>70508892
why would you expect anything less from fucking Weisman?
>>
So Oni Press is going to publish something that ISN'T written by Cullen Bunn? Wow.
>>
>>70509369
>Fellow mecha writer
What up, my /m/an?
>>
If you don't have any published work, you should start serializing a webcomic for a year or so, assuming you can publish at least 2 pages each week. (Think about it, that's a whole 100 pg or so graphic novel in one year.)

Why do I mention this? Well, publishers are hesitant most of the times to work with newcomers, even if they are presented the "greatest pitch ever".

There's also the fact that newcomers most of the time don't have an established audience that will make retailers order copies and be sure that there's an audience for that.

Once you get a whole book done, you can start pitching new concepts to creator-owned publishers adding your previous work along for reference. You can even submit the collected edition for Image Comics to publish/distrute (like the dude from Sunstone, the webcomic he published on fucking Deviantart pretty much put him in the spot for all publishers. He later worked on Topcow shit and later did works on DC and other Image Comics... And now Sunstone is a best seller)

So yeah, before getting into Hollywood, you should rather start on smaller stages and build your way into the big ones.
>>
>>70518376

You, sir. You have delivered, and I didn't even ask for a package.

I may still go ahead and create a pitch package for the fuck of it, but you've confirmed that the webcomic first plan is solid and correct... and even given me steps to take afterward.

Thanks, /co/mrad.
>>
>>70516284
Nothing much right now. Besides my own love for giant robots, I feel like there's a serious lack of /co//m/bo material in the world. Gotta share the love, right?

What're you working on? My thing is >>70510042
>>
>>70518614

You're welcome. I already went throught the process of submission about one year or so, and while I didn't get my comic approved, it made me see all the weak points that I was carrying with me. I will submit again in a few months or so, and worse case scenario, I can set up the webcomic and start planting the seeds accordingly.

If you need another reference, there's also God Hates Astronauts. Solid webcomic for years that built a good following. Later the collected edition became a successful Kickstarter campaign, and now it's published in Image Comics. And while it's definitely not outselling Batman or Saga, at least has a solid monthly niche.
>>
>>70519085
>God Hates Astronauts

I saw that in my local comic shop the other day! That was a web exclusive first? Holy shit!

The hype I feel now is real. I guess it's all a matter of playing the game and sticking to it, even if you lose a round or two (or three).
>>
Man it's times like these I wish I wasn't completely shit at drawing, I have a one really solid idea for a comic that ticks all the trendy boxes at the moment; diverse, high concept, controversial enough to get attention but not controversial enough to get rejected out of hand, feminist, politically relevant etc. Maybe I could write it as a novel when I finish the one I'm writing at the moment fucking never
>>
>>70519712

It did say they were looking for writers, too. Go to their twitter account, follow the link they retweeted about pitching successfully, and see how much you can apply yourself to that while being just a writer. Who knows? They might pick up a crew of people who have single disciplines they're presenting themselves for and hook you up if they dig the concept pitch!
>>
File: 64842791.png (118KB, 419x328px) Image search: [Google]
64842791.png
118KB, 419x328px
>>70498793

Shit my final for one of my classes was to create a character and world

I've done nothing but do fan art and cross over pics that it took me a while to put it together

God now I have to look for all my notes now and do some more world building

I could never write no matter how hard I tried bit has never been an issue for me

Now I just have to get past my procrastination
>>
>>70518856
Working on two different giant robot ideas. One's really 70s inspired, and the other's an all ages comic. Don't want to say much about them, since I'm constantly re-writing and tweaking the scripts.
>>
>>70503117
I'd read it.
>>
Fug I wonder ithey'd take my Whacky Western pitch. I'm 19, is it too late to learn how to draw well? Pretty good writer but I wouldn't mind holding off for a decade until I could draw well.
>>
So this is just a marketing stunt to get Oni in the news right?
>>
>>70521599
So you're just coming up with excuses to avoid submitting anything because you're afraid of rejection, right?
>>
I'd love to do this, but the only ideas I have seem like I need to do some serious thinking on them.

also i suck at drawing
>>
>>70521671

I already write a major creator owned image book m8
>>
>>70522036

Please share tips and tricks with us.
>>
>>70524475
Sex a bunch of people, then claim it's harassment when others call you out on it.
>>
>tfw I made this thread the day the story broke an no one responded
>>
I'm a writer, cant draw for shit. What should I have ready for when these things go live? A Script? It says to give them a portfolio, which is something I dont have. Do I just no have a chance if I've never been published before? I have comic ideas and a few scripts but only me and my friends have seen them
>>
>>70525066
Oh I'm so sorry not everyone noticed and came rushing to you to fellate your OP.
>>
I dont read many oni pres books besides the Bunker. My current story pitch is (I have more developed ideas about this, but I'm summarizing for the sake of the thread)

>two high school seniors
>one is a slacker and sarcastic
>other is his best friend but more responsible than his counterpart
>they go to bank because slacker kid owes principal/school 300 bucks because of a prank he pulled
>they're in bank
>oh shit bank gets robbed
>cue bank robbery
>during robbery, one of the robbers arm tattoo is visible for like a split second
>after robbers get away, they start hunting down witnesses they think might snitch ( on wild card robbers insistence, some of the robbers think that will just attract unwanted attention
>the main characters are obviously on that list
>>
>>70525066
It's because nobody likes you, anon.
>>
>>70510042
I would so read this
>>
Same as most, I've got ideas but no artist. I was involved in a short webcomic that lasted maybe 40 pages before the artist just didn't have time anymore. Should I even bother? I've got a bunch of good ideas about relating to the world when you've got depression, one a superhero story about a child born who's basically superman, but born into a world that has no need of him and how hard that life would be.
>>
>>70525430
post your webcomic

>Should I even bother?

I think so. I'm a nobody who has never had anything published anywhere but I wanna write comics and have ideas that I am writing synopsis/scripts for. Even If I dont get it, which I probably won't, you gotta start somewhere. That is becoming increasingly apparent to me. I plan to get someone to draw it and put it onlone if all else fails.
>>
>>70525256
How would the robbers hunt down the witnesses? Did they get names and addresses during the robbery?
>>
File: image.jpg (81KB, 668x804px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
81KB, 668x804px
Oh snap... Which to pitch?

What I am working on is at heart, buddy cop/detective story with humor and action, but its set in the quasi 70's cop tv show setting. Oh yeah, it also takes place in Oz. Yes, that Oz... Dorothy, the Witches, all that. In fact, the two main characters in this story are none other than The Scarecrow and The Tin-man. I always like the Pep Streebeck/ Joe Friday dynamic from the Dragnet movie.
>>
>>70526072
The first guy they go after was some random civilian in the bank. They take his wallet( did I mention one of the robbers is a loose canon prone to violence and irrational actions). One of the main characters is wearing a hoodie with his schools name on it, they go to the school and eventually close in on them. This stuff doesn't happen immediately or anything. I'm thinking of writing in a third friend of theirs who the robbers interrogate and beat up a little (he doesn't snitch though)
>>
>>70526143

Why is it every single comic pitch I read is always a mash up between two existing properties? I mean fair play to you that stuff does work but I always cringe when I see it;

>Saga is Game of Thrones meets Star Wars
>Morning Glories is Lost meets Runaways
>Descender is 2001 crossed with Akira
>>
>>70509655
fund it.
>>
>>70507539
Deepends. Yu can google examples of pitches online usually it's akin to. A few pages detailing setting characters and a plot outline
>>
>>70508957
They did Scott Pilgrim and Sharknife, they have nothing against superheroes
>>
>>70526672
High concepts ("X meets Y") are easy to pitch and let the audience/publisher/retailers a general sense of what to expect out of the comic. The idea is obviously subvert the premise in order to not be a pastiche.

This is why Mark Millar says "my comic is X meets Y" for all his titles, because it gets to the point, rather than pretending that they wrote the holy grail of the medium and confuse the target audience.

>>70507539

A good comic proposal consists of:

- The pitch: Sell the idea in one phrase, about 25 words or so. (Movie pitches are all over the place in Google)
- General concept: A 100 word or so summary about who stars the comic, the setting, and what are odds against the character(s). Take for instance the text behind the general TPB edition of your favorite comic, and chances are that you will find a good glimpse of the comic in a single paragraph.
- Plot summary: The story outline for the first arc. Beginning, middle and end, with no questions and cheap cliffhangers of "what will do X when...?". The publishers need to confirm that you will deliver at large a conclusion, so if you don't know the ending of your own story, don't bother pitching it.

A good story outline is around 700 words or so. (It's more than enough for a publisher to read, as it fits nicely in one page or so) As a recommendation, the four story arc structure works great in that regard. (Intro, build-up/conflict, climax and concluson), because you can even divide each arc in four paragraphs of 100/200 words or so each one.
>>
>>70509329
>>70509066
Doesn't Image make you pay out of pocket for books though? You have to have a lot of disposable income to do it or be a batshit crazy graphic designer like Hickman who dropped everything and cleaned out his bank accounts
>>
>>70526672
This is the best way to describe things easily. If you understand concept A, and you understand concept B, you save yourself a lot of time and energy explaining it.

For me, it all started when I realized that the Scarecrow in the Oz movie was carrying a revolver. Where did he get it? Why would he choose this weapon? Then I let my imagination do the rest.
>>
>>70526143
>Oh yeah, it also takes place in Oz. Yes, that Oz...
This made me cringe, you said it as if it was supposed to blow our minds.
>>
>>70525288
Thanks anon. Though tbh I'm thinking of proposing something else. That's a very long term project that I can't imagine fitting in the sort of thing a beginner would get. I'm probably going to do that as a webcomic when I'm able to and come up with something else that better fits in a mini.
>>
>>70498793

>"justin beiber and the beliebers" - a SOL comic about the adventures of Justin beiber and his closest friends; Allison (who has a big ass) Tiffany (who has big tits) and Niglet (Bieber's short black friend who learns an important lesson about the meaning of rap and dropping sick rhymes at the end of each issue).
>Together, they fight crime and solve mysteries caused by the evil organisation "H.A.T.E.R.S".
>>
>>70528451
Is there something you can give me so that when you do get around to making it I can read it. A website or paste link or something
>>
>>70498793
>>70498793
Ok hear me out

A transotherkin genderfluid finds out the government is falling prey to a greater organization that seeks to claim a new world order based on ancient ideals and now has to save her home only by communicating through messages with a 140 character limit with hostile interceptors who align themselves to the old order threatening at every turn
>>
i have an idea in mind for a comic (ive drawn characters and thought of scenarios) but i dont know how to tell a story
>>
>>70527966
Fair enough. I suppose there aren't any other places called Oz, and I did just copy it from an earlier treatment to save time. Still, if I'm not trying to "blow your minds" in some respect, what the fuck am I even writing for?
Thread posts: 100
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.