[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

BIONICLE

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 130
Thread images: 21

File: BIO1HY_CTA_characters_v2.jpg (48KB, 720x448px) Image search: [Google]
BIO1HY_CTA_characters_v2.jpg
48KB, 720x448px
yay or nay?

http://www.lego.com/en-us/bionicle/videos
>>
File: 1411084671842.jpg (160KB, 934x969px) Image search: [Google]
1411084671842.jpg
160KB, 934x969px
I'm digging the lore and world-building going on here. The time spent establishing an air of mystery in a little kid's toy is really uncommon these days.

Growing up with the original series, I'm a little bummed that there aren't any planet-hopping titan mechs to look forward to, but I can see them expanding on the "they came from space" element of it.

The animation serves its purpose fairly well, and while there isn't enough videos to really go anywhere with just yet, the story seems the same as it's always been.

Of course, this is for kids, but I do hope it sells well enough for them to consider putting out a comic again. That was the shit.
>>
>>69019845

what lore?

6 chosen ones out of nowhere finding some magic masks.
>>
File: 1411085593795.jpg (79KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
1411085593795.jpg
79KB, 500x400px
>>69020219
I meant the story of the two brothers and stuff. I'm not going to pretend like there's actually much there, or that I'm super interested in the storyline at this point, I'm just saying that for what it is, you can tell that these Bionicle videos are actually putting time into worldbuilding and development, which is more than you can say of most other toylines like this

The original run was great and I still have a lot of nostalgia for it so it's a little bit interesting to find out the parallels in this new series - though I don't think it'll ever be as popular as it once was.
>>
>>69020219
>What lore
Oh god, don't ever go near /toy/ and say that
I don't even know half of it, but Bionicle lore goes deeper than fucking Metal Gear
>>
>>69020416

6 guys sent to defeat BBEG
6 guys attached by some bugs
6 guys attached by BBEGs' henchmen

then some temporary body change into monsters, then
>>
>>69020416
too late. /toy/ here.

let me illustrate by explaining >>69019845 this picture.

The main Island in which the original toa battled and lived and did other stuff is on the top left. The videos here are a retelling of the arc spent on that island. Under that island, inside the sphere, is the skull of Mata Nui, the giant humanoid mech whose body takes up all of the picture, spanning thousands of miles. In his skull is the island of metru nui, an advanced civilazation that resides in Mata Nui's now disabled brain circuits. This was the seat of civilization in this world until dark forces managed to enslave all of its inhabitants (little micro-robots that serve to keep the giant Mata Nui robot functioning)

Some stories with the toa took them down Mata Nui's neck, to chart points 2 and 3, where they spent a lifetime stealing incapacitated Matoran (villagers) back from the evil ones, and sent them back up to the island atop the mech's face. This whole story section had a definite medieval vibe to it after the civiliatoin crumbled and the villagers fell to ruin

quick cut to point 4 on the map, a small island where protoplasmic pirates ruled the island through force. The island held the mask that had the power to purge the giant mech of the evil force in its skull and restore order. Unfortunately there were a shitload of titans guarding the mask and the pirates and a NEW set of toa raced to remove the mask from stasis

[cont.]
>>
>>69020638
Oh god...
i understood everything he said
>>
>>69020638

After a battle lasting hours, the mask slipped form their grasp and fell into the vast ocean under the island. The crater part of the ocean under the island actually served as an ancient prison for the worst offenders back a few thousand years ago, when the mech was merely in stasis, and not overrun by darkness.

Inside the underwater prison were 6 of the old world's kings, who were unseated from power in a coup and had been rotting in that ocean - unable to die - for over a thousand years. They set off to capture the power so they could reclaim their kingdoms (which unknown to them, likely no longer exist). More titan robots awaked from stasis (all part of the Mata Nui mech's advanced immune system) and pursued the mask. The ones who managed to retrieve it were the same Toa from the island, sent down in a Bathyscaphe with high pressure suits.

In the end, one of the guys sacrificed themselves placing the mask at the deepest trench, yanking the island (4) from earlier down and filling the crater. The island had been a power source or activator that now meant that the giant thousand mile robot could function and no longer had to sleep.

The next chapter was rather convoluted, but the original heroes set out to the mech's core to place the mech's mind - incased in the mask of time - back into its programming and reboot the robot. After the illuminati-like organization known as the makuta fought back, the mask was forced to create a body for itself Swamp Thing style to aid in its restoration.

[cont. again]
>>
>>69020638
Go on
>>
>>>/biog/
>>
>>69020814
Mask of life, not time
>>
>>69020814
Before I go on, I have to add that every island and feature in the first posts' picture was featured in a side story or reference in the mainline story.

After the mask of time - in toa form - managed to make it to the core (an effort that took quite a while considering the vast distances we're talking about here) it was absorbed into the robot's essence and the gears began turning on a planetary scale. The mech was waking up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeZUVU8FwDw

Keep in mind here that this had been foreshadowed for nearly a decade in the story put out in the monthly comic, the toys, the videos, even the online game. No one actually knew about the robot they were trying to power until that moment. All the characters had assumed Mata NUi was an incorporal spirit. NOPE. The motherfucker was a continent-sized robot that they were living inside, and finctioning as his internal parts. Everything in Mata nui's chest was blown out as he rose, and finally all seemed to be as it was told in the destiny.

But nope. Makuta (the leader of the illuminati orginization) had taken control of the mech's brain to such degree that he allowed the "reboot" so that he could be in control of the mech when it awoke. This part of the comic was god-tier. Just at the point where everything was coming together and all seemed right the mech's eyes glowed red and he was all "You think you've defeated me? You've given me more power than you could even comprehend! I am the ground beneath you, the air you breathe, I am the sky and the hills, and now you are even a part of me." Then the stone cold fucker takes the mask with Mata Nui's soul in it and punts it off the planet.

[cont.]

>>69021088
shit. you're right
>>
>>69019373
Hey, Kopaka's mask almost looks like the old
>>
So there wasn't an island for his crotch, right?
>>
>>69021278
There was a massive volcano
>>
>Pohatu will never have an upside down body again
Feels bad.
His original design is what made him my favourite all those years ago.
>>
>>69021120
At this point we follow the mask of life through space until it crash-lands into a barren desert world. When it lands it creates a new body for itself and, highly confused, sets out to find a way to return to the planet his bigass mech body is on.

this desert world is a stark contrast to the previous world which was almost 100% covered in water. The tribes here appear to be comprised of similar robots from the old world, but these are directionless and live in fear of each other. They settle arguments by pitting champions against each other in gladiator matches, and the mask of life becomes quite good at winning these grudge matches. After stopping a potential war between tribes, Mata Nui discovers a map of a SECOND hundred-mile large mech that is buried under the sand, and attempts to jumpstart it with the power contained in his mask.

Meanwhile, sensing that Mata Nui didn't stay drifting in the cold, dead reaches of space, the makuta evil spirit (inside the continent-sized mech) fucking leaps out of the atmosphere and rockets toward the desert planet.

Just as Mata Nui stands up inside the significant'y smaller, but still enourmous mech, his old body touches down and starts laying on the smack, finally showing the giant robots foreshadowed the entire series getting into a fist fight. Just when the smaller mech with Mata Nui is about to get defeated, he rams the bigger robot into the path of a passing asteroid (yes he is that tall) and kills him.

[cont.]
>>
File: 84e.png (52KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
84e.png
52KB, 250x250px
>tfw gen 1-3 bionicle was best gen
>tfw matoran mythology and subtle hints at overarching themes>giant robot shit
>>
File: lava vahi.jpg (88KB, 738x412px) Image search: [Google]
lava vahi.jpg
88KB, 738x412px
>>69020575
heh, this guy.
>>
>>69021338
ain't a asteroid its the fucking jungle moon
>>
>>69021323
Yeah, he was great. Big-hips Bobby
>>
>>69021338
okay
>>69021390
I'm getting to that, man. This is a lot to type out.

It is then shown that the gravitational interference from a planet-scale fistfight has the water-world, the desert world, and a third smaller moon colliding. This is the original homeworld of the mech-builders, who somehow built the mechs in the hope that they would somehow bring the planets back together into Spherus Magnus - an earth-like inhabitable planet. Makuta had been the consciousness inside the smaller, desert-planet robot, who was abandoned in favor or the Mata Nui robot, a newer, stronger mech. Makuta had been jealous and created a form with which to infect his brother like a disease and take over his better form.

After the planets collide, the toa and matoran come out and see a balanced world. The mask of life remains in a clearing, staying long enough to say that the world belongs to them and that he has served his purpose, disappearing presumably to find a home among the stars.

---

Anyway, that's just what I can remember off the top of my head, not even mentioning the Rahi, the Bohrok, the bitchin' mythical toa of thousands of years ago, the crazy shit that goes down in Metru Nui, and all the crazy transitional shit that happens between the lines. I might storytime some comics if anyone's interested too.
>>
>>69021427
Damn, no wonder Makuta got issues

That's some story for a fucking Lego toyline
>>
Thinking about buying one of those new Bionicles for old times sake. Which one should I get? I can't decide.
>>
File: GlansNui.png (841KB, 900x800px) Image search: [Google]
GlansNui.png
841KB, 900x800px
>>69021278
fanon has that covered already.
>>
>>69021595
Kopaka is undeniably the best.

Also he's the biggest one so there's that
>>
File: great being the best scientyst.png (61KB, 1279x602px) Image search: [Google]
great being the best scientyst.png
61KB, 1279x602px
>>
>>69021617
Tahu is taller than Kopaka.
He is also better in every way.
>>
File: great being the best scientyst2.png (26KB, 719x418px) Image search: [Google]
great being the best scientyst2.png
26KB, 719x418px
>>69021621
>>
>>69021339
Mata Nui being a giant robot was planned from the beginning. Lego was just very good at keeping it a secret.
>>
>>69021427
Storytime might be fun
I know I stopped getting the comics after metru-nui completely wrapped up and the story switched back to present. Read posts by GregF and synopsizes after, but that's about it.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcbyezMVFs
>dat pose gali has when she jumps out of water.

Delicious.
>>
>>69021616
oh god, reminds me of Samarost
>>
>>69021655
Really? Was that something LEGO had in mind or just Farshety?
And besides, I don't really care if they did or not. I'm just saying that I liked the first three gens best
>>
>>69021555
The Lore was the primary appeal for a lot of people. Bionicle also saved Lego from not existing.
>>
>>69021621
>>69021634
kek'd also who was Dave?
>>
>>69021687
You mean the robot? Farshtey had nothing to do with it, he was brought in after it had already been set in stone. It was Chris Faber's idea to construct the world around it, based on his own experience with fighting cancer. LEGO agreed to include the concept due to his persuasion.
>>
>>69021952
Really? I never new that.
point still stands though
>>
>>69020638
>>69020814
>>69021120
>>69021338
>>69021427

As a /biog/ lorefag I gotta say that was the best streamlining I've seen.10/10 would read your version of the comics.
>>
I still believe Metru Nui was the best arc.
>>
>>69022032
We can at least agree things went south with Voya Nui right?
>>
>>69021952
>based on his own experience with fighting cancer
Wow, okay. Was that before or after the Dooheads concept was thought up?
>>
>>69022052
After.
>>
>>69022052
They always wanted to make a line of toys based on tribal robots, following up on the success of Slizer/Throwbots. That was the core idea, but the early prototypes looked weird, had bizarre functions (googly eyes and knocking off each other's heads) and there was no backstory to them. Then, during his treatment, Faber re-imagined the concept and made it all an allegory for fighting some kind of illness.

Hence the name BIOnicle.
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 1278x720px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 1278x720px
>>69022012
thanks. I'm not afraid to say I was a little nervous someone from /biog/ would come in and call bullshit but I guess I remembered it pretty well.

Anyone have a preference on where I should storytime from? I always had a thing for the late metru nui period.
>>
>>69022137
Well that's cool. Still find it funny that Lego tried something like that.
>>
>>69022254
It's amazing to think that this was their first try at a self-owned, story driven intellectual multimedia property, and it became so big that it went on for almost a decade, having this deep a lore, yet it was all essentially a kids' toy line which most buyers probably never realized had this much story.
>>
>>69022254
They were getting close to being broke at the time, Bionicle saved them by keeping them afloat long enough to get the Star Wars licence.
>>
Longtime bioniclefags, is the new storyline any good? I grew up with the Toa mata, and the metru mii saga remains one of my favorite stories in all of media. I kind of lost interest around the end of the piraka saga though. Are these new sets a return to the glory days?
>>
Tell me, friends from /biog/, do you guys on /toy/ look down at genwunners like myself?
>>
>>69022445
Bionicle was actually inspired by Star Wars, LEGO just wanted a story that they didn't have to buy the license for.
>>
>>69021339
>Hating on Metru Nui

IMO Bionicle only became really crap towards the very end (I had no real problem with the Bara Magna story, but it became so rushed and sloppy what with Lego killing it early and serving out these shitty "Bionicle Stars" sets) and what the fuck was Farshtey doing with these wanky parallel universe and online stories? Fucking dickhead didn't even wrap it up
>>
>>69022461
As for the storyline were only one month in ,but we already have hints at the mask of times involvement and an ancient city at the heart of the island (its not Mata Nui this time ,its called Okoto)
>>
File: kal_red.jpg (61KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
kal_red.jpg
61KB, 1280x1024px
>>69022461
The new storyline is a hard reboot because they finished the story and kids weren't buying bionicles anymore. Lego tried a different action-figure-ish line that did okay, and now they're trying bionicle again.

It's following roughly along the same lines as Toa mata so far and looks pretty good

>>69022467
not really. The lore is super confusing and the toys after the underwater arc got pretty boring. I can't speak for everyone though. Those threads get intense sometimes

>>69022497
cite ur sources bro
>>
>>69022461
The story is pretty shallow thus far, and the presentation is nothing special. This reboot doesn't have anything like MNOG, so there is very little in the way of world-building this time around. Of course, the line has just begun, and there might be books later, but there wasn't much to the first half of this year's story as told through the webisodes. Felt like more of a prologue.
>>
>>69022607
>MNOG

Is it wrong if I think the Flash used in MNOG was more appealing than how they did it in the new shorts?
>>
File: 250px-MNOG.png (65KB, 250x170px) Image search: [Google]
250px-MNOG.png
65KB, 250x170px
Why was pic related so based? Of all the Bionicle media that came out over its entire history, MNOLG has always been the one I remember. I still go back and play it from time to time. Do you guys think it was really just special? Or am I just blinded by nostalgia?
>>
>>69022577
>cite ur sources bro
LEGO SW was around years before Bionicle, for one.
>>
>>69022461
As long as you're not a faggot about it I doubt anyone cares. There's a difference between only liking Star Trek TOS because TNG doesn't appeal to you and actively going around yelling about how awful TNG is and how TOS is the one true Trek. Don't be one of the latter and you're fine in my book at any rate.

>>69022467
New sets are pretty cool but some people don't like the new aesthetic. But the gears of yore are back and better than ever (they don't hinder posability any more) so that was the biggest draw for me.

As for the story, we don't really know much right now. What's there is pretty good IMO, but updates are infrequent, similar to the old story, where updates to the website came every other month. And January isn't even over yet, so there's a ways to go.
>>
>>69022577
I will admit that the villain/monster designs for the underwater setting probably look the best. Personally I started to dislike how similar the characters got, with the same six figures from one set just differing a bit in some accessories.
>>
>>69022652
A bit nostalgia maybe, but the sense of exploration and discovering an multi-facetted fantasy world gives it a lot of its charm
>>
>>69022662
Do you mean how Bionicle was created just to make a story-based theme without having to pay dosh to Lucasfilm? Because if so, yeah?

I think that other anon thought you meant inspired as in story-wise, because I sure as hell don;t see a Star Wars influence.
>>
My nostalgia prevents me from being happy that Bionicle is even back, much less from checking out the new stuff.

Just let me know if Gali and Pohatu are hooking up. That's all that matters to me.
>>
>>69022669
>differing a bit in some accessories.

The biggest infractors where the fucking bohrok, my parents stopped buying me bionicles after I got all the bohroks because they said it was the same shit with a different color.
>>
>>69022697
Also the atmosphere and setting are pretty great, as a kid I loved how Bionicle in its early Mata Nui years and even year 1 of Metru Nui had a very mysterious and mythical feel.
>>
Is the movie really good as good as I remember it? Or is it just nostalgia goggles?
>>
>>69022713
Well Pohatu is now the alpha leader of the group, so there's a chance he fucks Gali.
>>
>>69022652
I think it was because it was handed over to an team who cared, and because LEGO gave them such a free hand with the side-characters. They were busy at the time with that PC game that then got canceled, and allegedly a movie too, which also got canned.

>>69022700
That is what I meant, yes.
>>
>>69022750
Year 1 of Metru Nui was GOAT. They were the best mechanically and the aesthetics had the best blend of the tribal and futuristic look.
>>
>>69022750
>>69022800
This might be turning into a nostalgia jerk, but I don't care. Have some GOAT soundtrack
http://youtu.be/pyn9dB0pBvc?list=PL3CF5371E48D59DFD
>>
>>69022753
>Those films

Okay, I'll admit that I kinda like the designs even if, and the music's not half bad, but jesus the fucking voice acting.

Bionicle's meant to be a mythic sci-fantasy, so obviously let's hire some teenage twats to voice all the characters like frat boys.

The only good voice actor was the one who did Turaga Vakama's, that was one that actually suited him perfectly.
>>
>>69022753
>Or is it just nostalgia goggles?
Yes. I mean, it can be enjoyed if you're in the right mindset, but it's a mediocre movie with dated CGI, a plot that's way too simple and confusing at the same time, and the character presentation is way off here and there.

I liked the most of visual design, though.
>>
>>69022756
I remember reading that he was kind of a dumb jock kind of character, in the same way that Knuckles is a dumbass on "Sonic Boom".

If that's the case, then he'll never get to bang Gali. It's always the underdog who bones the girl at the end of the franchise.
>>
File: 93.jpg (128KB, 1200x700px) Image search: [Google]
93.jpg
128KB, 1200x700px
>>69022652
oh man...
>little anon
>get free lego magazine membership from fundraiser or something
>first magazine I get has issue #1 of bionicle tucked inside
>probably accumulated half of the toys by the end of it
>half a decade later get internet at my grandparents' house
>play the shit out of those online flash games
>years later, browsing /toy/ I find out about this game
>everyone has glowing memories about playing it with friends
>can't even find it anymore, must have died before I got internet
>add it to the pile of early internet shit I missed.

At least I got to play those two dank PC games. Those were great at least.
>>
>>69022756
But he's a manlet.
>>
>>69022834
I liked the intros of the first two films myself.

And Legend of Metru Nui's ending always used to give me the feels.
>>
Does anybody have the scans of the 2015 Bionicle Catalog? It has some interesting concept art and story details.
>>
>>69022841
>see Bionicle preview in Lego Club Magazine
>discover MNOLG in January 2001
>updates come a month apart
>I'm an idiot child, so it actually takes me weeks to get through each chapter
>finally reach the end of the game in December
>one of the most satisfying experiences I've ever had

btw anon, I believe there are several places where you can download all the old flash games. I have MNOLG 1 and 2 on my computer right now
>>
>>69022841
Hey anon.
http://biomediaproject.com/bmp/games/
>>
>>69022839
>dumb jock
But G1 Pohatu was the friendly down-to-earth bro guy of the group who everyone liked.

G2 Pohatu, though, judging by the animations, might be different. He looks more serious this time around.
>>
>>69022841
The game is still around in some pages to download just use your googlefu
>>69022878
not anymore, his body isn't upside down
>>
>>69022839
He came across to me as more of a badass survivor/survivalist kind of character.
>>
File: WP_20140825_027_zps0e94dcc4.jpg (82KB, 361x640px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20140825_027_zps0e94dcc4.jpg
82KB, 361x640px
I have to admit, the redesigns at first didn't really wow me in anyway, but the redesigns are slowly growing on me. I'm just not used to the hero factory design that results in the "bulkier" and more visual frames some of the Toa (especially Kopaka) have.

It was always fun to see what MOCs people could make with the TECHNIC pieces such as pic. Personally my favorite set year was Metru Nui, where the Toa had a full range of poses, and still had gears.

One thing I'm glad is they at least made a CG trailer for the new line.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qb8Leq0ZvE

>>69022753
It was pretty average when I first saw it. Today its very dated, and no one without a prior history of BIONICLE will understand what the hell is going on. Though Kopaka's fight definitly shows why he's a badass.
>>
>>69022925
>>69022878
>>69022839
>>69022756
>>69022713
>>69022939
>pohatu will never be this based ever again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VoFulqXIF7o&spfreload=10
>>
>>69022898
Me too, too bad that the CGI was so rushed in that film.

The music is great in all three of them, also. The fourth movie doesn't count.
>>
>>69022925
>>69022954
I meant in G2, if we're going full Transformers here.
The G2 version is supposedly a slow guy.

G1 Pohatu was my favorite. He taught me to moonwalk.
I'm gonna stick with the G1/2 descriptors.
>>
>>69022939
The art depicts him as being shorter.
>>
>>69022939
Though some guys on /biog/ have flipped the gearbox so that he can kick.
>>
>>69021427
Wait, so Makuta was only evil because he was a jelly manlet? That's retarded.
>>
>>69022960
What is that dragon thing? Is there even anything organic in that world?
>>
>>69023109
Makuta's reason for being evil was being jelly from the very start.
>>
>>69023148
There's a whole lot organic on Mata Nui. There's entire jungles of plants. The whole appeal of the world is the meshing of the organic and mechanical, and showing a story where that world is normal to its inhabitants
>>
>>69023183
Oh right, the jungle
>>
>>69023109
He was somewhat justified in his jealousy. All the Matoran worshiped Mata Nui who didn't do jack for them (other than being the universe around them) and didn't even care about them. And they also hailed the Toa, who were the public heroes, but the Makuta were also their protectors and governors, they just weren't as heroic and friendly and public as the Toa.

>>69023148
It's that lizard-bird from the promo of the canceled 2001 PC game.
>>
I recently logged back into BZPower to see if I could find my first post there, which was also my first post to a message board ever, and was essentially my first major interaction on the Internet at all, and also I would have been twelve when I made the post.

Turns out they wiped the board clean at some point, save for user data, so my post is now lost to the ages. Sad, really.
>>
>>69021660
Eh, I think the actual toa designs are pretty cool (love how all their weapons have an alt mode and they're a tad more distinctive between each other) but the spider enemies are bland as fuck. Also, the animation is pretty piss poor.
>>
File: Bionicle Lore.jpg (47KB, 480x384px) Image search: [Google]
Bionicle Lore.jpg
47KB, 480x384px
>>69023213
>he didn't do jack for them (other than being the universe around them)
I dunno, seems pretty significant to me
>>
File: Manas.jpg (23KB, 384x288px) Image search: [Google]
Manas.jpg
23KB, 384x288px
>>69023295
>spider enemies
Yeah they're pretty shit, they don't hold a candle even against the Visorak, let alone pic related from year 1.
>>
Anyone remember that cancelled PC game when BIONICLE was still in the Island of Mata Nui stage?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUB9czng8hg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsScfOsWddM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR6QA75bi9U
>that dance party ending
>>
>>69023213
So the Toa were superheroes while the Makuta were the government?
>>
>>69023316
True, but it was the Matoran (and Makuta, and the rest) that kept him running, they deserved more recognition that Mata Nui, who was just minding his own business flying across space, barely even thinking of the world inside him.
>>
>>69023345
God, I wish I wasn't such a poorfag when I was a kid. I was only ever to get a few of the toas while the big shit like the Rahi (Rakshi? it's fucking something like that) remained outside of my grasp. The most I ever got was Makuta/Toa of Light thing for a big birthday present.
>>
>>69023381
Sort of. As far as I know, the Makuta were originally bio-engineers who created the wildlife for the universe, but after a while they were each assigned different regions of the universe to watch over and work together with the local governments.
>>
>>69023427
Wasn't Mata Nui's purpose just to learn about other planets (by having a lie down and disguising himself as an island) and their cultures just so he could fix his home planet?

What if he landed on Earth and is here right now
>>
>>69023427
This is true, but after Mata Nui gets punted out of his body he does go through some "I need to save them" "I need to be worthy of their worship" kinda stuff and he does end up sacrificing like three of his bodies to save everyone.
>>
>>69023345
Year 1 had the hypest enemies.
>>
>>69023443
rakshi were terrible, wasted so much on those
>excited for special edition purple kraata
>buy three from target
>doesn't give you the original colored kraata
>not even multicolored
Fuck target. Now I have three ugly purple shits instead of the beautiful red/green/blue ones
>>
The four-minute retrospective LEGO released in 2008 always gives me chills whenever I watch it. That narrator knew how to make a story feel epic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpfNrl6RIvM
>>
>>69023380
>>that dance party ending
Reminder that this was one of the original ideas the creators had. That every time the Toa had a victory, they would dance.

>>69023497
Yeah, but back then, when the Makuta were still sorta good guys, he didn't care about his people, hence his character development on Bara Magna. Back then, he wasn't THAT deserving of their praise.
>>
>>69022652
I like how the MNOG was actually the first clue as to the "big twist". Remember the mysterious "rock layer" that couldn't be pierced by anything? Turn out the miners were trying to drill into Mata Nui's ugly face all along.
>>
>>69021427
Makuta had nothing to do with the smaller robot, which was just a prototype. Instead, he was meant to inhabit Mata-nui's body while MN himself would transfer to a second equivalent once his mission was over.
>>
>>69023572
That game had some nice foreshadowing, some of it was more obvious (signs for the Bohrok or the seventh Toa), but things like that rock layer incident only made sense seven years later.
>>
File: 1421716238306.jpg (10KB, 247x248px) Image search: [Google]
1421716238306.jpg
10KB, 247x248px
>tfw I was cleaning out my closet and found I had the Nui-rama set unopened in its original packaging
>>
File: 1402363567649.png (98KB, 300x199px) Image search: [Google]
1402363567649.png
98KB, 300x199px
>>69023730
noice

Also I challenge anyone to name a better villain - at least structurally and physically - than Gadunka
>>
File: Great Mine.jpg (80KB, 769x423px) Image search: [Google]
Great Mine.jpg
80KB, 769x423px
>>69022652
http://www.bringbackbionicle.net/games/matanui/mnolg.html

Play it again, it's still awesome.
>>
>>69023705
Wait, what was the seventh Toa tease?
>>
>>69023730
Damn, those things fell apart
>>
>>69022753
TAKUUUAAAAAA
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cfDn40uCMmM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H31sv7biYkk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wffaIG_SAB8

These never get old
>>
File: tahukopakafight.webm (2MB, 853x480px)
tahukopakafight.webm
2MB, 853x480px
Lego messed up and released the rest of the first part of the Bionicle animations in Italian, they've been taken down now though.

Overall the animation is really crappy, but it's nice that they brought back the product line for a new generation to enjoy.
>>
>>69022753
There were a few good, if really corny, moments. If you're a huge Bonkle nerd it'll be a mixed bag (Onua was made the stupid one, Lewa's a hippie for no reason). It's mediocre at best.
>>
>>69024040
It always astounds me. The technical quality of these animations is almost primitive, and yet despite this the animators were able to create such evocative and dramatic scenes. You can tell that someone put a lot of heart into these little flash animations
>>
>>69023898
Vakama telling you that he is awaiting the arrival of "another", and all the comparisons the Turaga make between Takua and the Toa.

Could have been just coincidences, though. I don't know when it was decided that there would be a seventh Toa.
>>
>>69024353
There's also a vague foreshadowing of Metru Nui when Nokama mentions that the Matoran "have forgotten their civilization".
>>
File: image.jpg (256KB, 2064x1161px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
256KB, 2064x1161px
>>69020416
/tg/ is the final boss on Bionicle lore, /toy/ is just it's first form.
>>
I stopped reading when the Elders started telling the originals a story, and it was basically Bionicle mixed with 9 and the story never ended after two years of monthly comics and I got confused as fuck.

Can anyone give me a short, moron level summary to understand?
>>
>>69022607
Not entirely true, the reboot has the flash cartoons. And MNOG updated like every other month. So if you were to compare January 01 Bionicle with January 15 Bionicle I actually think the reboot has more story right now.

Contrast with 01, which had some promotional items that told the tale of Makuta and Mata Nui and the Toa's looming quest for the masks. There isn't the same amount of variety with the new line as far as bonus items go but the cartoons make up for the CDs. And there are books coming in the summer, while gen1 didn't get books until several years in. The only thing really missing from this is the comics, and the Lego magazine sort of had one, albeit more truncated and simplistic.

So yeah, there's really not much difference. People are just impatient and already viewing the new line through the lens of an old line that spanned an entire decade.
>>
>>69024040
>Infected Lewa shows up right in front of you, tilts his head about to attack, then Onua shows up.
>Matoro is about to be mauled, then a brief snowstorm shows up and Kopaka suddenly appears.
>Makuta fight

>Bohrok invade Po-Koro and Hafu personally runs out of the village to sacrifice his statues to buy time.
>Pohatu saving him, including a joke and a wink.
>The reveal of the Boxor and taking back Le-Koro
>Jaller cock-blocking Hewkii in Ga-Koro
>The Suvas lighting up signifying the Toa beat the Bahrag
>Bro moment between Takua and Jaller

>Lewa falling out of tree
>Goats magnetized to Pohatu

Its those moments that I love about the BIONICLE animations. They may not be great to look at (especially now) but the storytelling always felt solid with a good blend of action, funny, and dramatic moments,
>>
>>69024624
scroll up, mang
Thread posts: 130
Thread images: 21

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.