[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

should i buy this $100 thermometer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Classic-Thermapen_generic-06.jpg (281KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Classic-Thermapen_generic-06.jpg
281KB, 1200x1200px
should i buy this $100 thermometer?
>>
>>9437526
They're nice and all. Good if you are a pro cook and need to use it often.

For home use I prefer a thermocouple with a remote probe. That way you can stick it in your roast (or whatever) and leave it in place while it roasts, smokes, BBQs, etc. That way you can check the temp without having to open the oven or the BBQ.

An industrial/scientific brand that uses standard probes makes a lot more sense than the ones marketed specifically to cooks. I use a Fluke.
>>
>>9437526
i have a $15 one that works well enough
>>
>>9437526
Nah.

Buy a cheapie at the supermarket and just test it on boiling water when you make tea from time to time to confirm it's still accurate.
>>
$100 in what, NTD? Sure, that's about what those usually cost.
>>
>>9437526
>156.7
Water boils at 100 wtf.
>>
>>9437705
It's in American. It's 69.3 C.
>>
File: thermapen.jpg (293KB, 1536x1024px) Image search: [Google]
thermapen.jpg
293KB, 1536x1024px
>>9437526
America's Test Kitchen constantly shills this brand, I guess they own stock, get kickbacks, or outright make the thing.
No thermometer should be $100. What in the hell is inside that thing that justifies this price?
I see a cheaply manufactured Chinese plastic thing, with an 80s style LCD, if this was "The Price is Right" my bid would be $10 max.
>>
>>9437746
You clearly don't have much experience with kitchen thermometers. The thermopen is very durably made and responds much faster than most so-called "instant" read thermometers.

I don't think it's worth the $100 price tag but there's no denying they are far better quality than most similar products.
>>
>>9437752
t. Mark Eter
>>
Go to a heating and air conditioning supply store. This exact thermometer, in yellow, is literally $18. What a bunch of horseshit charging $100 for a piece of Chinese garbage they probably spend .05 of a dollar to make.
>>
File: thermapen2.jpg (278KB, 1000x700px) Image search: [Google]
thermapen2.jpg
278KB, 1000x700px
>>9437752
So it contains some amazing patented intellectual property that cant be duplicated by anyone?
Does it contain loads of rare metals and a super fast CPU?
I'm an engineer and thinking about the bill of materials, tooling, calibration and test, packaging and marketing, and I'm struggling to price this over $10. The Cook's Country / ATK shilling must really be working, because its not about the product, its about getting stupid people to overpay for said product.
>>
>>9437526
Yes, but pay $20 for it.
>>
>>9437746
>>9437763
it's made in the uk
>>
>>9437533
This guy knows. I ordered the same thermometer I use at work, basic probe thermometer with type K wire.

>>9437752
I don't doubt that it gets an accurate reading faster, but I also don't think it's worth the extra $50 over my thermometer that I just stick in the meat and leave there.
>>
>>9437775
>So it contains some amazing patented intellectual property that cant be duplicated by anyone?
Nope. It's just well made, that's all. There's no reason why someone else couldn't make something better. I've just noticed that all of the cheapie ones that I have ever used have been obviously more flimsy or they take ages to get a reading.

>>I'm an engineer
Good. Then you know empirically there is a massive difference between a measuring tool which is made with high quality components and certified to certain standards of accuracy vs. a piece of cheap shit marketed to someone who doesn't know any better.

I own a machine shop. Precision measuring tools are a critical part of that business. I have a choice between buying expensive established brands like Starrett and Mitutoyo or I could buy cheap imports from Harbor Freight Tools for a fraction of the price, but the fact is that they just don't last, and are often plagued with accuracy problems that just don't exist with the better stuff.

Again, I'm not saying that thing is worth $100. I agree that's a high price. But the Thermapen is night-and-day different in quality compared to the cheapies that I've owned in the past.

I don't use a thermapen currently, I prefer the remote-style thermometer so I can leave the probe in the food while it cooks.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.