[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you get a thin and crusty burger like five guys? Do you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: five-guys-secret-menu1.jpg (298KB, 625x473px) Image search: [Google]
five-guys-secret-menu1.jpg
298KB, 625x473px
How do you get a thin and crusty burger like five guys?

Do you have to oil the pan up with a cooking oil?
>>
>>9434690
make slim patties. use a hot cooking surface.
>>
>>9434690
make giant meatball
throw in skillet
mash it down to desired dickness
>>
>>9434695
I never get the same degree of crispness though.

I feel I am missing something.
>>
>>9434701
if they're anything like any other greasy spoon. they probably use cheap generic vegetable oil to get said crispyness.
>>
Make two 2 oz patties
Get the buns all topped and ready to go, you won't have time once the patties start cooking
Scalding hot cast iron
SMALL amount of oil with a high smoke point (add this before the pan gets too hot or it will burst into flames)
When smoke is coming out of the pan turn on the fan place the patty
Immediately press the patties down as hard as you can, you probably need a meat pounder not just the spatula for this
Wait
When they're visibly crusty then flip the first patty
If you have to scrape the patty off the pan to get it to flip this is a good sign
Cheese the first patty
Scrape up the second patty, flip it, and place it on the first patty
Immediately pick up the stack and put it on the bun

You should end up with:
Crusty as fuck top of second patty
Lightly cooked bottom of second patty
Melted cheese
Crusty as fuck top of first patty
Lightly cooked bottom of second patty
>>
>>9434701
Extremely high temperature and extremely thin patties. A cast iron pan works well for this. Shape them wider than the bun because they will contract as you cook them. Flatten them before putting on the pan and try to avoid pressing them while cooking. And as always... en-joy!
>>
>>9434884
Wrong, you want to smash the fuck out of them on the grill. They're literally called "smash burgers".
They suck tho
>>
>>9434900
Yeah you'll want to do that if you like them to be dry and void of happiness.
>>
>>9434690
I worked there. Half way through cooking you take this metal thingy and smash the Patty on the grill
>>
>>9434701
Salt the fuck out of the patties and cook them hot and keep them thin, if you don't care smash them so they look like shit and get all dry like they do at five guys.
>>
>>9436295
Never once have I experience dry patties at Five Guys. They are always dripping in grease and greatness. Still not worth the price, though. Just not dry at all ever and no it's not the condiments because I get none.
>>
>>9436319
The one time I've gone it was dry as fuck and I've never gone again because its fucking over priced and over rated. Maybe it was a fluke but they are smashed burgers.
>>
File: photo.jpg (67KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
67KB, 900x900px
>>9434884
Tfw you watch waaay too much foodwishes.
>>
>>9436335
It could also be location. I've always only gone to the same one and they may be better than others or the one you went to is worse than most. Yeah they do smash them and they are over priced and the fries don't make up for it. I've stopped going though about 5 months ago and just cook my own stuff for the most part trying to be healthier.
>>
>>9434781
is this how five guys does it?

I can honestly say I've never noticed the crustiness as a defining factor....is this their "secret"?
>>
>>9436341
Thats how I feel about it, I have in n outs everywhere and have to tell people to avoid certain ones because they are way shittier. Pretty much only have burgers at home or rarely go to the Habit.
>>
>>9434701
Do what >>9434697 said. Seriously, that's it.
>>
File: DSC_0053_zpscb2b9980.jpg (77KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0053_zpscb2b9980.jpg
77KB, 1024x680px
>Get cast iron skillet
>Put a little oil in it, heat to smoking hot
>Form a ball of hamburger like a meatball roughly the size of a large hen egg
>Put it in pan, smash flat with a spatula
>In 60 seconds it should be crispy and starting to turn brown on the uncooked top
>flip, immediately put cheese on and cook for 20-30 more seconds
>remove and place on bun

If you do the above way your burgers will come out exactly how you want. And if it takes more than 90-120 seconds to cook completely your pan is too cold. It will smoke up your kitchen if you're doing it right.
>>
>>9434690
Cast iron, high heat. Get a fairly high fat ratio ground beef, you want like 20% at least. Smash that fucker thin, season with salt and pepper. Scrape up as you flip it, let it finish, done.

Look up how to make a smashburger on YouTube.
ez pz
>>
>>9434697
this is the key
>>
>>9434690
steak n shake makes better burgers, prove me wrong
>>
>>9434884
> Flatten them before putting on the pan and try to avoid pressing them while cooking.

This is wrong if you want crispy thin patties. You shouldn't keep pressing the patty the whole time, but when you put them on the pan you need to smash them down flat so that the whole surface of the patty is in contact with the hot surface. You do not really achieve this by pre-shaping and laying them on the pan.
>>
GRILL NICE AND HOT
THIN PATTIES
BAM
SMASH EM DOWN
KISS IT WITH SALT
>>
>>9434701
I guarantee you're not using enough heat, most people don't. Cast Iron will basically double your BTUs as well
>>
when i do this the burger comes out fine but it makes a fuckload of smoke in the kitchen. is this something you need an industrial vent for or something
>>
>>9434701
Also they are using a well seasoned flattop most likely as well
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.