[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it weird to use data mining to pull diners' faces?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 10

File: bigyam.jpg (65KB, 626x626px) Image search: [Google]
bigyam.jpg
65KB, 626x626px
http://archive.is/iIQ4t

“You can’t know that someone’s going to become a regular, so you don’t necessarily keep track of those people,” Ms. Sandoval said. “But the system does.” It also tracks the top 100’s dining companions when they split the check. Upserve sends a list of credit card numbers, dates of visits and items bought; the restaurant matches each number to a name, and a search on Google, Facebook and LinkedIn provides a face to go with it.

“We’re sure to recognize them” the next time they come in, so the staff can welcome them back by name, Ms. Sandoval said. “It surprises people, in a nice way, when they didn’t make the reservation themselves.”

Upserve offers a “magic quadrant” feature that divides dishes into four categories — “greatest hits,” “underperformers,” “one-hit wonders” that are popular with first-timers but not with repeat visitors, and “hidden gems,” which regulars like and first-timers don’t — to help the Sandovals understand which are popular, and which prompt diners to return.

She relies on the Server Scorecard, a feature offered by Avero.

The scorecard ranks servers on multiple criteria, which makes it easier for Ms. Williamson to identify the right waiter, for example, for a large party with children. She might not pick the server who sells the most. The more appropriate match could be a server who ranks higher in tip percentage than in sales, thanks to grateful families who tend to order less alcohol.
>>
File: 1456847752513.jpg (36KB, 506x337px) Image search: [Google]
1456847752513.jpg
36KB, 506x337px
>>9349542
>favorite restaurant now requires resume, CV, and 3 references
>can no longer eat there because they require 3 years of dining experience
>>
>>9349542
if a restaurant welcomed my back by name after a second visit i would never return to that restaurant
>>
>>9349542
>>
Google already does it.

You can't escape it.
>>
File: xianfamous.png (84KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
xianfamous.png
84KB, 512x512px
>>9349542
This makes sense from a business school point of view. But I tend to like places with a strong character - places that are clearly the vision of one or two people. Getting too business school can undermine that. Not always, though. Pic related.
>>
It seems scary, but that's the future we're headed to. There's probably no escaping it.
>>
>>9349542
>tfw the botnet wants me to starve
>>
>>9349563
>first year in dining class
>get expelled for putting ketchup on my spaghetti
>burst into treats
>>
File: giant-cucumber-05.jpg (80KB, 490x449px) Image search: [Google]
giant-cucumber-05.jpg
80KB, 490x449px
>>9349542

Why are more and more white women choosing to get YAMMED and SQUASHED?
>>
>>9349678

Looking at the article, it seems the system is incapable of tracking you if you pay cash and don't make reservations. Plus, there's always the option of going to restaurants that don't use this shit.
>>
All the data in the world isn't going to help if you're a bad restaurant manager. Your app tells you your most expensive red isn't selling, so you take it off the menu? Now half of your customers switch to the next cheapest one.
>>
>>9350101
>Your app tells you your most expensive red isn't selling, so you take it off the menu? Now half of your customers switch to the next cheapest one.
Just as likely to be the other way around: Your cheapest red isn't selling. Take it off the list and whichever is now the cheapest will stop selling.
>>
>>9349542
Pretty sure its illegal to be sending credit card numbers to a third party.
>>
>>9349542
That image gave me a chub
>>
>>9349886
>There's always the option
Sure if the establishment makes you aware that they're using it
>>
>>9349563
>walk into restaurant
>flash my dining card
>upload my resume to the hostess kiosk
>wait for the hostess to confirm my references
>"okay sir you seem to be good to go, HOWEVER, your consumer background report check indicates you've eaten at three fast food chains this week so you'll have to sit in the galley under the kitchen, and I'm obligated to remind you that under the Fair Business and Consumptions Act of 2018 that if you decide to leave you'll be required to pay a declination of service fee of $150.00 cash or bitcoin."
>accept the galley
>eat at communal table out of troughs full of kitchen drippings
>have to fight off someone's kids for some raw dough and a dirty towel
>ask for bill
>pay $58.37 for my experience
>$12.00 service fee for the waiter to bring me the bill
>give the place 5 stars on Google Yelp so the busboys don't smash my living room windows
Sure beats tipping though
>>
File: 1483259323466.jpg (119KB, 1001x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1483259323466.jpg
119KB, 1001x1024px
>>9349542
Why would they do this
Who would want this
Got I fucking hate the future
>>
>>9350582
This. It's fucking communists pushing their shit through technology.
>>
>>9349542
Whelp. Only using cash at restaurants now.
>>
>>9349542
So, no reservations and cash from now on.
>>
>>9350777
>drumpf and the right wing congress dismantle internet privacy laws
>it's a commie conspiracy

Fuck off, idiot.
>>
>>9350849
I didn't know Denmark was run by Trump.
>>
>>9349568
Absolutely. I'd also try not to eat there on the second visit, just make an excuse and leave.
>>
>>9350926
>denmark run by drumpf

It is, but more importantly the US internet privacy laws were eliminated by his corporate freedom loving administration and his sycophants in congress.
>>
once a restaurant recognizes me, I stop going there

I'm not there to socialize with your staff, I don't care about them, I don't want them to know anything about me, I'm just looking to make a transaction and leave.

this is why people wait on line for a self checkout even when there are open cashiers you can walk up to. Nobody wants more interaction than necessary.
>>
>>9350777
Wow, you're really dumb.
>>
god i fucking love the future
>>
>>9349886
>there's always the option
now yes, in 20 years, perhaps not
>>
>went to local McDonalds
>forgot my corpcuck card
>got legs blown off by the ballpit jihadists
>>
>don't drink alcohol
>is given shitty service
>>
File: 1459713052764.jpg (75KB, 778x584px) Image search: [Google]
1459713052764.jpg
75KB, 778x584px
this sounds like child-play compared with Amazon´s first datamining moves into the supermarket industry tho
http://archive.is/6ywgN
>To increase profits, Silicon Valley must extract more data. One method is to get people to spend more time online: build new apps, and make them as addictive as possible. Another is to get more people online. This is the motivation for Facebook’s Free Basics program, which provides a limited set of internet services for free in underdeveloped regions across the globe, in the hopes of harvesting data from the world’s poor.

>But these approaches leave large reservoirs of data untapped. After all, we can only spend so much time online. Our laptops, tablets, smartphones, and wearables see a lot of our lives – but not quite everything. For Silicon Valley, however, anything less than total knowledge of its users represents lost revenue. Any unmonitored moment is a missed opportunity.

>It’s easy to picture how this will work, because the technology already exists. Late last year, Amazon built a “smart” grocery store in Seattle. You don’t have to wait in a checkout line to buy something – you just grab it and walk out of the store. Sensors detect what items you pick up, and you’re charged when you leave.

> Imagine if your supermarket watched you as closely as Facebook or Google

>Amazon is keen to emphasize the customer benefits: nobody likes waiting in line to pay for groceries, or fumbling with one’s wallet at the register. But the same technology that automates away the checkout line will enable Amazon to track every move a customer makes.

>Imagine if your supermarket watched you as closely as Facebook or Google does. It would know not only which items you bought, but how long you lingered in front of which products and your path through the store. This data holds valuable lessons about your personality and your preferences – lessons that Amazon will use to sell you more stuff, online and off.

I hope you like botnets bro
>>
>>9353454
This stuff used to scare me, but now u don't care anymore. Nothing can be done to stop it. Our obsession with technology brought us here. We deserve this.
>>
>>9353501
blaming technology as a whole is a mistake, as it brings good things when used correctly. unspoiled super corporations are the kind of monster that take every chance they get to get bigger and stronger and make this world a shittier place to live
we do deserve this situation tho, it´s just that technology is a mere tool that does not hold blame on this
>>
File: 1503843027272.jpg (168KB, 1080x1350px) Image search: [Google]
1503843027272.jpg
168KB, 1080x1350px
>>9353525
>as it brings good things when used correctly
such as? the ultimate argument that technology is good, is mainly due to scientific advancements in healthcare, which lead to longer lifespans. however, the downside of this is that with these advances also come a torrent of useless, shitty technology that make these now longer lifespans dull, gray and pointless
>>
>>9353586
> the downside of this is that with these advances also come a torrent of useless, shitty technology that make these now longer lifespans dull, gray and pointless
isn´t that a matter of the culture that makes uses of said technologies? let´s put the internet as an example: on one hand it allows access to unprecedented information and the ability to communicate with tons of people over the world, and on the other people will use it to hide from problems into a fake persona over social media, or to control every little thing you do, and so on
which technology acts on its own to make your life pointless? there´s only people behind every action, at least for now
>>
>the staff can welcome them back by name, Ms. Sandoval said. “It surprises people, in a nice way
what the fuck
>>9349568
fucking this. it's one thing to be a regular at a mom and pop shop where you actually know the people. it's another at some upscale place that you've only been to a few times and the people there "know your name". I would be creeped the fuck out.
Rich people are so fucking weird.
>>
>>9349627
>>9349678
>>9353501
We must end the botnet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHUqNCDwQj4
>>
>>9353610
>which technology acts on its own to make your life pointless? there´s only people behind every action, at least for now
sure, but the number of technofetishists who just want more and more without any real purpose behind it, are far more in numbers than the rational people who see the bigger picture. and in the end the first group ruins it for both themselves and for the ones who dont want technology in their lives
>>
File: 1482350749341.jpg (319KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
1482350749341.jpg
319KB, 540x720px
>>9353691
Oh, I kinda see your point now
You see, I think that the kind of people like you will actually grow in numbers by quite a lot in the future, specially if we happen to survive the first few AI accidents. It´s a matter of time before people face their existential problems and proceed to play so much faith in technology. that doesn´t mean that the advance should be tried to be stopped, just that our entire culture around it will change, and this will only happen after some massive wake-up call. this wake up call could only be, to my present understanding, massive automatization of a field of jobs that has yet to be implemented and the implementation of human-level AI
even after that however it will take alot of effort and ton of nasty shit will happen in the process, but I believe that humanity will find peace within ourselves eventually
>>
>>9349542
So, a cash only establishment where diners receive masks will be the future of free restaurants?
Will it matter once anyone can buy their own tracking insects and watch everything a person does?
>>
>>9353817
Hmm, you might have to bring cash to an exchanger guy since the bills will be automatically tracked from the last transaction with till cameras.
>>
>>9353525
You can blame technology because it grows at an exponential rate while human methods of social organization and adherence to mythologies remains in the same flatline from thousands of years ago. If you give humans locked in apelike thought processes advanced technology you're virtually guaranteeing either technology applied to accomplish total enslavement by a small minority (currently in process) or absolute destruction of the earth (currently in process).
>>
>>9351079
>once a restaurant recognizes me, I stop going there

good you're probably a fucking prick
>>
>>9353945
Are we really locked into this mentality as you say? sure, we have a good number of biological flaws as an species, but I think that our social structures have improved thanks to thousands of years of knowledge and values being passed on by our ancestors. In the first place we are having this discussion in the first place, a living proof that we can have some degree on introspection
I won´t deny that we are really fucking fucked, and I won´t have blind hope in the way we are doing things, but blaming technology is merely blaming a tool instead of the wielder. I honestly hope and believe that we are just in a temporal frenzy due to the deep technological changes of the last few years, and that the storm will pass
>>
>>9351079
>Nobody wants more interaction than necessary.

Awwww c'mon now. You know that's not true.

I'm anti-social to the point I desire no friends and only talk to blood relatives a couple times a year, but even I know that it's just not normal to be like that. I think most people enjoy chatting with others. At least, that's what I observe.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.