[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Were the "big" American beers better in the 1960s and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: budweiser-pull-tab.jpg (22KB, 300x400px) Image search: [Google]
budweiser-pull-tab.jpg
22KB, 300x400px
Were the "big" American beers better in the 1960s and 1970s? What about the stuff from long-defunct regional breweries?
>>
>>9281039
Eh, anything like killians irish red where they use water that is regularly used to dispose of dead hookers I typically avoid. Actually I avoid river beer in general.
>>
>>9281039
Probably not
>>
>>9281039
who here /churchkey/?

Millennials have no clue what this post means.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170809_135915.png (209KB, 381x533px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170809_135915.png
209KB, 381x533px
>>9281039
I think it's safe to say, beer was nearly universally shittier back then.

However, it was more fun to drink. There was no snobbishness... people were just happy to have something cold at a neighborhood BBQ.

Busch Gardens amusement park used to give every adult guest two free beers upon entry. What a magical time.
>>
>>9281250
>Millennials have no clue what this post means.
So, the people who actually belong here. Where did your life go wrong, old man?
>>
>>9281250
Neither do most genxers, idiot.
>>
My buddies dad said in the 70's Pabst used to be the go to beer, basically the Budweiser of the 70's. Then he said it slowly became more obscure.
>>
None of them were ever really any good. They were just what survived Prohibition. The U.S. had a thriving brewery scene back in the 1900s and 1910s until the Christian do-gooders banned alcohol. Only the very largest and most efficient breweries survived, usually by making other grain-related processed foods like cereals and animal feed.

After Prohibition was repealed, the U.S. government created major impediments to anyone trying to get into the distillery/brewing business. The licensing was enormously expensive, and could only be afforded by companies that were doing mass production. That had two effects on the industry: (1) there really wasn't any point in putting out good products since your competition was limited anyway, and (2) you had to produce stuff that was inoffensive and could be drunk by anyone.

So, Schlitz, Coors, Pabst, Miller. . . .
>>
>>9282291
I remember hearing some about how people first started to be able to make beer commercially, but not on a macro scale, but I've forgotten it. Did the fees remain static as inflation happened, making them cheaper in real dollars?
>>
>>9281250
My parents had a churchkey and the Mighty Mighty Bosstones had a song with a reference to not needing a churchkey anymore.
>>
>>9281039
Oldfag here.
Beer pretty much sucked until the 00s.
Me and my roommate in college made a pretty penny smuggling Coors beer across the IL/IN state line and selling them to fellow students in the 80s.
>>
leinenkugel went to shit when they took the copper tuns out in 1964.
>>
>>9281039
American beer and talking about the 70's then topping off the subject with quality and goodness

American taste like then as now are in total shit category as in absolute shit, rich country poor as mud taste in food and drink, smoke and entertainment anything aside from weapons are total shit
>>
File: squeek - squeek squeek squeek.jpg (44KB, 314x295px) Image search: [Google]
squeek - squeek squeek squeek.jpg
44KB, 314x295px
American beer was garbage up until the 90's because of prohibition. We don't really know what beer was like before then, except that "big breweries" didn't really exist like they did later, and there were tons of small breweries that went out of business.

So no, American beer sucked 50 years ago, and nobody really knows how good it was 100 years ago (probably better, but still not very good). What we do know is that America now makes the best beer in the world, and we're alive now, so who gives a fuck?
>>
>>9281039
The old can design was so much nicer
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.