[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Probably more of a /diy/ thread, but want to keep this here.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: FR9HRHGIN237TXP.MEDIUM.jpg (22KB, 620x349px) Image search: [Google]
FR9HRHGIN237TXP.MEDIUM.jpg
22KB, 620x349px
Probably more of a /diy/ thread, but want to keep this here. Anyone got experience with DIY cooking stoves/grills/ovens and thoughts on how well they work? Things like this seem to be very popular with campers but I have yet to try any out.

Alton Brown has shown how to make a tandoori oven from planter pots and that just looks insane.
>>
>>9275119
i use those when i go hiking, they're good to just boil water but not for lower temperatures
penny stove has a way to make an attachment to simmer at a lower temperature but i've never tried it out
supercat stove is super easy to make, small, and easy to use
>>
>>9275119
This often gets threads on /out/
>>
>>9275384
Honestly never even lurked /out/ but can see the appeal there. This and /a/ are my only consistent boards. Should check them out, thanks anon.
>>
File: IMG_5190.jpg (143KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5190.jpg
143KB, 1000x1000px
>>9275119
Just buy pic related for 5 bucks. Will work better than anything u can make.
>>
how do i make a gyrating instrument to make al pastor

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_pastor
>>
>>9275475
you can only use that in an emergency though. op's thing can be used any time you want
>>
>>9275119
outdoors equipment is one of the few things that is reviewed to the point of overkill. once you find what general item you want you should be able to narrow it down pretty easily on youtube from product demonstrations.
>>
>>9275908

Why? That stove from >>9275475 is made of much more durable metal than OP. If anything it would be better suited to non-emergency use.

Anyway yeah, OP, I have made the stove you pictured before. They do work, but not very well. It's something you make in an emergency or because you need super light weight for backpacking. It's not something you'd willingly use if you had any sort of alternative.
>>
>>9275119
Alton Brown is a tv producer.
He knows nothing about cooking.
Every dish on his show is first prepped by a professional chef.
>>
>>9275493
http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/05/food-lab-tacos-al-pastor.html
>>
File: Rocket-Stove.jpg (28KB, 448x349px) Image search: [Google]
Rocket-Stove.jpg
28KB, 448x349px
OP here, admittesly that pic was the best one I could come up with without feeling like it would be derailed. I don't hike much so these sort of things are more for fun alternatives to cooking.

Have seen a similar approach to pic related using just bricks which looks like a fun afternoon. Live in a rural area so firewood is abundant.
>>
>>9276692
it says right on the package "EMERGENCY Stove" anon
>>
>>9278742

They can be used for more than emergency situations - some armies used to use them and I assume still do. However, some parks might not let you use solid fuel burners.

Trangias are comfy but IMO gas camping stoves are the best - you have the most control with them, they are light and safe. You also don't have to worry about the stove cooling down before you refill it to avoid fires if you run out of fuel - which you won't anyway.
>>
File: 1474180777828.jpg (106KB, 1600x1344px) Image search: [Google]
1474180777828.jpg
106KB, 1600x1344px
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyT1k7hhXTE

My setup (and video)
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.