[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pemmican

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: pemmican-02.jpg (92KB, 800x580px) Image search: [Google]
pemmican-02.jpg
92KB, 800x580px
Anyone know any good, easy to make, and long-lasting recipes for this survival food? I remember reading a post somewhere about how to make it (I think either on /fit/ or /r9k/) but couldn't find it anymore. There's a lot of variance with the recipes you find online, too.
>>
File: 1354636387065.jpg (135KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
1354636387065.jpg
135KB, 500x375px
You stupid fucking bitch, there are tons of recipes across the web, including youtube.
Which is probably where you even learned about this.
>>
>>9213097
Besides pemmican, all I really know is jerky, dried fruits, and hardtack. I know of a video that has a decent pemmican recipe but I don't want to post it because it will derail your thread.
>>
>>9213109
>tons of recipes across the web, including youtube
I know. I'm just asking for specific recommendations because of how many recipes there are. And no, I learned about it from reading about antarctic expeditions, and had my interest further piqued by that post I mentioned from /fit/.

>>9213110
Oh, please post it! I'm primarily curious about how to make pemmican, and whether some recipes are easier/better than others.
>>
>>9213117
I'll just post a greentext of the recipe so this thread doesn't devolve into /pol/posting.

>Start with raw beef, bison, or venison, whatever cut you like
>Cut the meat into very thin strips, put on a broiling pan or wire rack, and bake in the oven at the lowest temp it will go for about 10 hours
>Get it as dry as possible and brittle
>Turn the dry meat into a coarse powder with a food processor
>melt an equal amount by weight of suet
>mix
>Add dried berries, nuts, and/or seeds if desired, though this will reduce the shelf-life
>Allow to cool and solidify
>>
>>9213137
Thank you so much, anon! I remember reading that you can just use beef jerky (either ground up yourself or bought pre-ground, I think?) instead. Would you recommend doing that, and would the results be similar?
>>
>>9213097
Just buy MRE you faggots.

Dried nuts, roots, dried beans, dried anything. Use your imagination. You can even bring popcorn, it'll go stale but won't go bad for a pretty long time.
>>
>>9213148
FUcking even protein powder plus powdered juice works. Mix both, and drink that shit.
>>
>>9213144
You can, but it tends to be a bit moist and also has a lot of salt and a strong flavor that may be off-putting. I forgot to mention that it's important to trim excess fat from the meat you use, which can actually be used to render your own suet if you want. Salt can be added to extend the shelf-life of the pemmican.
>>
>>9213097
You planning to live in the woods?
>>
>>9213097
What does pemmican even taste like?
>>
>>9213097
i think food wishes has a pretty easy beef jerky recipe, i know you guys hate him plz dont hurt me
>>
>>9214703
Dried meat and fat.
>>
>>9215347
Is it salty or flavorless? Does it taste good at all?
>>
>>9215612
>Is it salty or flavorless? Does it taste good at all?
Hrm, jerky in general original recipe kinds of ways are:
black peppery
salt
rare steak blood metallicy

They are satisfying when it was a choice cut that was cut against the grain properly, tearing off nicely, dissolving and chewing nicely from hard to soft and pliable, that squishyness. Fun to eat when good. Lousy when it was pressed-formed or lesser cut of meat that has a little gristle left. Some of the lousy stuff has like too much sugary meat glaze that simply holds more salt. Adding a flavor to it all, like teriyaki adds a higher flavor of soy, but also sugar.
>>
>>9215612
Well, the ingredients are literally just dried meat and then kidney fat. So really it comes to the meat you choose, or if you add extra things like nuts or dried berries.

For a food that is specifically made for long distance survival/travel, I bet they would want it to have a universal taste of bland.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.