[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

i made this today. first try. how did i do? i think the sponge

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 3

File: cake cake cake.jpg (970KB, 1600x756px) Image search: [Google]
cake cake cake.jpg
970KB, 1600x756px
i made this today. first try. how did i do?

i think the sponge was a little overcooked and a little bit too dense for some reason. frosting was a little bit too wet.
>>
>>9208587
It's ugly, but keep trying.
>>
>>9208587
Next time make sure you soeve the flour properly and that there's enough air in the batter (don't over mix though).
Also you need to make sure your oven is really good and hot and DO NOT OPEN IT UNTIL THE CAKE IS READY TO COME OUT.
If the icing is watery you probably added too much water, try using something different for the middle layer, personally I like stiffly whipped double cream.
>>
>>9208592
Food should taste good first, look good second.
>>
as long as you didn't put semen in it I would enjoy it
>>
>>9208587

Baking in the summer can fuck things up... recipes assume your butter in going to be @ 65F...
>>
File: IMG_0488.jpg (33KB, 607x567px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0488.jpg
33KB, 607x567px
Be honest, are you the guy who didn't know if layer cakes were two separately baked cakes or just one with icing somehow injected in the middle?
>>
>>9208605
That's where you're wrong, food should look AND taste good
This is not a sjw board or tumblr
>>
>>9208587
if someone served me up a piece of that, I would eat it without complaint. looks good enough. it looks like a chocolate cake that's been cut in half...
>>
>>9208592
sounds like the story of your life, isn't it?
>>
post your recipe

cake looks too dense. frosting looks like complete garbage.

>>9208596
>Also you need to make sure your oven is really good and hot
i hope you're talking about making sure to preheat your oven and not baking every cake at 500F.

>DO NOT OPEN IT UNTIL THE CAKE IS READY TO COME OUT.
you should usually rotate your pans halfway through to ensure even baking.
>>
>>9208592
The ugly cakes taste better, in my opinion.
>>
Fuck all you guys, you'd have to keep me from eating that whole thing.
>>
>>9209715
It looks flat and dry. I'd eat a piece but would definitely get tired of it on piece two and decide I could eat better things later.
>>
>>9208605
Actually it's been proven in blind tests that the same recipe prepared by the same chef in the same way but one version is properly plated and one is just slopped on to the dish, the one that is properly plated will taste better.

Food should look appetizing and taste good.
>>
>>9210172
That just proves that humans are suckers and easily fooled. That's why advertising works. That test actually demonstrates the only value of plating is manipulating people.
>>
>>9210235
>. That test actually demonstrates the only value of plating is manipulating people.

And if you're manipulating yourself and your guests into a more enjoyable meal experience then where's the problem?
>>
>>9210250
My son will eat what I give him or else
>>
>>9210172
unless you work as a pastry chef for a restaurant, plating cakes is an idea as dumb as it get.
>>
Are you from USA? Don't you people use brigadeiro as standard icing for chocolate cake? Try it one time, completely different taste/texture, I'm not a big fan but seems better than yours (butter/cocoa ?) icing.
>>
File: paul-hollywood.gif-437569.gif (141KB, 590x350px) Image search: [Google]
paul-hollywood.gif-437569.gif
141KB, 590x350px
>>9208587
the flavour's there but the presentation could use a little work.
>>
>>9210256
*wife's son
>>
>>9209272
it has been cut in half

>>9209592
i used this recipe and the frosting is basic confectioner's sugar frosting to which i added too much milk and spread at room temperature because i was tired of making a cake. won't make that mistake again. frosting is clearly the worst part

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/15768/perfect-chocolate-cake/

i made all 3 layers but discarded the worst one. they all came out of the pan fine but the third was thicker and i had to cook it a couple more minutes and overdid it

I don't have a platter or anything so it's on a plate.
>>
>>9209137
>Wants food he can instagram before eating 2 bites of
>calls others SJW Tumblr
>>
>>9210622
>volume instead of weight for flour
that might be the problem. your baking powder could be too old.

>basic confectioner's sugar frosting
yep, garbage. make buttercream next time.
>>
>>9211905
confectioner's sugar frosting is literally what "buttercream" frosting is bro.

volume instead of weight for flour isn't the issue, i stirred the batter too much and eliminated bubbles
>>
>>9210172
No, that proves that the recipe should be eaten with certain proportions of each ingredient going into the mouth at the same time in certain order for optimal taste.
Artsy plating plays no part in it but to please the eyes and impress the uninitiated.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.