[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any Scienticians who can explain this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 1

File: calories.png (33KB, 799x552px) Image search: [Google]
calories.png
33KB, 799x552px
Are there any Scienticians who can explain this?
>>
Calories are a measure of energy. What you see there is a breakdown of what a calorie is in metre/kilogram/second base units.
>>
>>8654393
so is that or is that not the amount of calories i'd enjoy if i ate a dollar
>>
>>8654385
Wonder why they didn't simplify.

Not sure what they want to do with m2 and kg, either.
>>
ITT
>American """education"""
>>
>>8654426
Don't act like you can explain it either.
>>
>>8654432
Actually, this is high school level phisics
I won't bother to explain it, open a book for once in your life or
>lrn2google
>>
>>8654442
Ayyyy he doezn't even know ayyyy
>>
>>8654432
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calorie
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joule
Lazy bastard
>>
>>8654460
>>8654442
Yes, we know what the symbols mean. But that doesn't answer the question.
>>
>>8654393
>>8654442
>>8654460
>think remembering a name from grade school makes them smart
>too retarded to see that the automatic script obviously fucked up completely
LAMO
>>
>>8654508
>b-but muh superior intelligence
>>
One "calorie" (lowercase is important) is biochemically defined as the amount of energy needed to raise one gram of pH 7 water exactly one degree Celsius at exactly one atm of pressure.

"Energy" is mathematically derived from "Work", and as such shares its unit of measurement, the "Newton Meter" or more commonly, the "Joule". A Joule has the unit definition of "kilogram times quantity meters per second squared" or, kg*(m/s)^2 (only /sci/ supports *tex notation so that's the best I can do). Expanded out, this gives us kg*(m^2)/(s^2); because of the definition of exponents, this can also be written as kg*(m^2)*(s^-2).

So when you ask google for "calories per dollar", it's giving you the mathematically correct conversion. "Per dollar" translates into ((U.S. dollars)^-1) from the definition of exponents we just discussed, and the phrase "calorie" most commonly refers to the International Steam Table version, which is defined as 4.1868 Joules.

From all of that, "calories per dollar" then becomes "4.1868 Joules per dollar", and is mathematically represented by the expression 4.1868 kg*(m^2)*(s^-2)*(USD^-1), roughly what Google gave you in that search result.

Hope this was helpful! :)
>>
>>8654587
I always forget that there's a /sci/ board where people actually have at least a vague idea of mathematics and other stem fields
Probably because I can't imagine why anybody who knows anything would want to shitpost here
>>
>>8654587

well then

that's a good enough explanation I guess
>>
>>8654587
Yeah but what's the deal with the negative powers?
>>
>>8654631
>>8654587
And "4.1868 Joules per dollar" is just another way of saying "calories per dollar".

The provided equation answers nothing. Just restates the query into mathematical terms.
>>
>>8654587
yurocucks BTFO!
>>
>>8654631

I explained this in my post!

>Expanded out, this gives us kg*(m^2)/(s^2); because of the definition of exponents, this can also be written as kg*(m^2)*(s^-2)

The (s^-2) bit is what you're looking for; perhaps I didn't elucidate in enough detail but maybe you just missed the negative sign.

In any case, I'll explain a bit further: the definition of an exponent is some number raised to some numerical power. 4^1 = 4, for example. Since division is mathematically defined as "multiplication by the reciprocal", and a "reciprocal" is simply "one divided by the number". Mathematically we can represent the reciprocal function for real numbers in the following manner: reciprocal(x) = 1/x = (x^-1). So the reciprocal of 4 is 1/4, to further our example.

So what else does this mean? Well, let's say that our X is now 16. We can represent 16 as 4^2, so the reciprocal of X, in addition to simply being stated as 1/16, can also be stated as 1/(4^2). Because of the definition of reciprocal from above, it can also be stated as 4^-2.

The final piece of the puzzle is that the phrase "per ______" typically implies a mathematically division by whatever is in the blank. Now use what I've just gone over about the definition of division and negative exponents to determine how you might mathematically represent the phrases "Per US Dollar" and "Per second squared".

Don't hesitate to ask any more questions if it's still unclear! :)
>>
>>8654587
>>8654672

I guarantee you the guy writing these posts has gotten angry at someone like twice in his entire life

the fuck you even doing on this shithole of a website nigga?
>>
>>8654587
>>8654672
God damn, you are a cutie.

Thanks.
>>
>>8654672
The joule requires the s2 but not s-2. That's my confusion. So you're saying x * x^-2 is the same as x * x^2? That makes sense, and is probably something I should know but don't bother keeping in my brain.

So the negative exponents are just shorthands. Got it.

So our equation becomes calories / us dollars? Doesn't make sense.

Can you give me an example an equation? 1 calorie?

>>8654693
>intelligence is bad
Fuck off. I welcome /sci/ for a change of place. Much better than your /b/ shit.
>>
>>8654385
(cal/$) = (4.184 * (m^2) * kg)/((s^2 * $))

(cal) = (4.184 * (m^2) * kg)/(s^2)

(cal) = (4.184 * meter * newton)

(Cal) = (4.184 joules)
>>
>>8654718
>x * x^-2 is the same as x / x^2
>>
>>8654718

>So you're saying x * x^-2 is the same as x * x^2?

No, I'm saying x * x^-2 is the same as x / x^2

The Joule requires the expression "meters squared per second squared". This can be written out, as I have indicated above, as (m^2)/(s^2). Since you're dividing by the (s^2) term, instead of writing out the division, you can write it as multiplication by the reciprocal.

Because of the definition of reciprocal I gave you above, the reciprocal of (1/(s^2)) is just (s^-2), which is where the -2 comes from.

kg*(m^2)*(s^-2)*(USD^-1) is mathematically equivalent to kg*(m^2)/(s^2)/USD
>>
>>8654736
got it. Google just gave the mathematical equation not an actual answer.
>>
>>8654740

Indeed it did.

In fact, you'd never get a correct answer with your particular query, because it's giving Google the "wrong kind" of "calorie". I said the lowercase was important because that's the pure thermodynamic version; the nutritional/culinary version is capitalized (Calorie) and is defined as 1000 little-c calories (Kilocalorie).

Typically you'll see Calorie on "nutrition facts" labels in the US, whereas "Kcal" is often seen on similar labels in Europe/the rest of the world.
>>
>>8654385
literally E=mc2
>>
>>8654753
Actually despite the mistaken case, that eqution works for a calorie. 1 kcal is 4184 joules, a regular calorie is 4.184.
>>
So is this if you eat a dollar or burn a dollar?
>>
>>8654767

neither

it's an artificial mathematical construction that has no practical application

both of those cases you mentioned would have vastly different answers than 4.1868
>>
>>8654385
Is this some sort of kiloWatt hour conversion?
>>
>>8654883
no it's literally the question written in mathematical terms.

unsolvable. but you could convert 4.184 joules to kilowatt hours lol
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.